Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #881
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

AND, great new posts, Rian and Lady M. See how wonderful it is to have free animal allies? Between Blackwing and Lomi, crucial information gets to be disseminated. I wish we could have all the Nazgul and the pirate raid be in sync timewise, but whadda ya gonna do. Because if Viv were in Thursday morning right now, she could be a part of some of this pirate stuff, and help Ray and stuff. Can't have everything, I guess.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #882
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Exactly what I was thinking! At the end of the day, it should not be Tolvadok, Buzukhumarz and Viniglaen who get reprimanded and "in trouble" for putting an end to the torture, because clearly Udu is out of line with the disfiguring stuff - even the hair-cutting can technically be safely called disfigurement. Never mind the toes and fingers and whatnot. It serves no good purpose in the end to maul and mangle one of the Nine, one who's chief weapon against the FOGAL is her captivating beauty and charming way. It's one thing to break a spirit to a certain degree, to "make a person see reason," or whatever, but there's such a thing as taking it to an emotional length, which is what it looks like Udu is doing, even more so than Khamul. It's like Udu is pissed off that she can play games and flaunt certain physical/sexual powers that he cannot nor ever will be able to, so he is madly, insanely jealous and intimidated! Freakin' men.
Not at all, Lotesse. Just merely a way of getting a little almost uninterrupted action before this RPG comes to its conclusion. Have to grab every opportunity before it is lost.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #883
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Post 846 is filled.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:44 AM   #884
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I wish I had come earlier. For the first time ever, I am joining the gangs of nitpickers , and asking for an edit. TD, I love what Khamul wrote about the Nazgul's imprisonment by Sauron, but you must understand, till this moment, Tolvadok had never even imagined that all the others were not just as faithful as him. He would not draw his blade first for Lily's sake, but he would fight everyone for Sauron. And, he would never say, 'I serve my self alone'. Do you not see he's ready to give up all chance of ever being a human again, for his master? And thats why I wish I had logged in earlier, because a lot of posts have been made since, so I'm worried about how a solution can be worked out...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 02-21-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #885
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Not but what the story is very exciting and good now, what with all the fights, and of course if those two turn up, it'll be easier for Tolvadok, but I still can't see him not defending his master...

Old 02-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #886
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I personally don't know how the ringwraiths are ever going to become friendly enough with one another to work as a united group again.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 02-21-2006, 01:11 AM   #887
Serenoli

Fear of the Captain, I suppose

Old 02-21-2006, 01:39 AM   #888
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Or of actual death itself. That might happen faster than they think if they keep this parade up.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #889
Serenoli

Well, we know they got back together, thats canon, but maybe they weren't that friendly? By the way, talking of actual death, can a Nazgul kill another?

Old 02-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #890
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

...One would think that it's possible. They can blast the hell out of each other, that much has been established.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #891
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
Well, we know they got back together, thats canon, but maybe they weren't that friendly? By the way, talking of actual death, can a Nazgul kill another?
I doubt any Nine people of different races, countries, customs, intellects, personalities, etc. would ever be friendly enough to get along with each other for years. Kings and lords often have huge egos, and nine kings together would have many ego problems.

The obvious way for a Nazgûl's body to be destroyed is with a Blade of Westernsee. As long as the Nazgûl's ring is still in existance, the houseless Nazgûl will live... as a disembodied spirit with the probable potential to possess either a living or dead body.

Since a Nazgûl would not have a blade of Westernsee, great blasts of magic power could work to destroy the body. That is why Gandalf and the Nazgûl were fighting each other with lightning bolts - to destroy the hröa of the other.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #892
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Makes sense. But it seems for out little bunch of Nazdudes, the females are getting along far better than the males. Its not so much the kingly attitude as it is just a man thing.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:43 AM   #893
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Makes sense. But it seems for out little bunch of Nazdudes, the females are getting along far better than the males. Its not so much the kingly attitude as it is just a man thing.
LSP, yes, it is a power thing, a struggle among the male Nazgul. By pure physical strength alone, they are stronger than the females. Normally they would be inclined towards protecting the females, so there would not be any rivalry there. With Lilly and Udu, though, it is a personal grudge, and he wants to put her in her place and keep her there.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 AM   #894
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

So I noticed. Though I doubt she will stay put for long.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 AM   #895
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
I KNOW; don't jinx us Rian!! I cannot, cannot CANNOT ABIDE any more nitpicky fighting in this discussion thread. This is a writing and role-playing GAME, GAME, folks, so let's not fight, pleeeeeease? This is all about fun, and creative excercise! Let's please have fun. So far, everything seems fine, yes?
*does anti-jinxing dance*

Yes, all looks fine yay!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #896
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
So I noticed. Though I doubt she will stay put for long.
LSP, I doubt it too, but I do not think that even the indominable Lilaenwen will ever get herself into another situation quite so problematic as this one. Of course, we never know.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 AM   #897
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Trust a woman to get herself stuck in the same manner. But yo are right, I doubt that she is that big a twit.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:26 AM   #898
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
I wish I had come earlier. For the first time ever, I am joining the gangs of nitpickers , and asking for an edit. TD, I love what Khamul wrote about the Nazgul's imprisonment by Sauron, but you must understand, till this moment, Tolvadok had never even imagined that all the others were not just as faithful as him. He would not draw his blade first for Lily's sake, but he would fight everyone for Sauron. And, he would never say, 'I serve my self alone'. Do you not see he's ready to give up all chance of ever being a human again, for his master? And thats why I wish I had logged in earlier, because a lot of posts have been made since, so I'm worried about how a solution can be worked out...
I have a suggestion TD, about your #857. You saw Serenoli's arguments -Tol won't let the attack on the Master pass unnoticed.

So, I advise you to take away this part:

Quote:
"My master?" replied Tol, flexinghis fingers round the hilt of his blade.
"Yes your master. You know full what I mean. It would not surprise me if you were reporting to him now," said Khamûl, his anger building up inside him and now reflecting in his voice.
"You are here not to find the Ring for the Captain but for him. He who made us like this. He who condemned us to this half life. Have you forgotten all of this Lord Tolvadok? Have you forgotton the life you used to lead. Fighting him, for your people, the people you loved and who loved you. Do you not remember what he turned you into, what these turned you turned us into?" said Khamûl holding up his ring finger. "Do you remember the last time you felt the wind in your hair? The sun on your face? We are not alive Tolvadok, yet we are not dead. We are compelled to an eternity of walking this earth, and this is his doing. Yet you still serve him. Is this not true?"
"I serve only myself," replied Tol, turning and making his way to the door.
To change the precedent and the following sentences like that:
"... only by the power given to you by your Ring" (not Master).
" I will go report to the Captain", replied Tol, turning and making his way to the door

But as Khamul's words about Sauron and their wraithdom are EXCELLENT, and the whole argument is quite interesting, please, TD, insert Khamul's comment into your FUTURE post, after the fight over Lilly is over. It will leave Tolvadok the opportunity to defend his Master, and you can have a nice argument and a fair duel.

Is it OK for you, TD?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:31 AM   #899
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Anyway though, the thought of horses actually sinking to their navels sounds rather fantastical - and improbable, isn't it? After all, even a dirt road would be packed down - and would likely drain to the sides.

Say... all that drainage and rain would run off into the river wouldn't it?
Val, have you ever seen a LOW plain flooded by a river? I did, I assure you! Looks like a muddy shallow lake with bushes and trees here and there. You will sink in mud and loose your footing in no time. As for the dirt road, first, you will have to FIND it under water! And once you are on it, a step to the side will plunge you into this invisible drain that is to the sides. No galloping over it, NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I should think that the heavier the rain, the more likely it is to cause greater problems to sailers than to horsemen. Sudden flooding to the river could make navigation quite perilous, don't you think? Certainly makes it awful hard to travel upstream with any kind of speed whatsoever. Not to mention how they'd probably have to take in the sails - and sitting on the open deck in a rainy autumn would just make them miserable.
They might be drenched and miserable, but not so much as the horsemen. They will have some problems, surely, but they only have to check the depth with a pole, not to run aground. Gwathlo is a big river, plenty of space to manoever.. And I never heard that a rain makes the use of sails impossible when the wind is favourable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMM
It'll certainly help the reinforcments reach Shah's patrol. The increased current should balance the effects of the wind quite nicely for those going downstream
The current in a river increases MUCH with rain, when the river gets all the drainage from the higher area around. When the area is low, and the wind is against the current, the area around floods and the current increases imperceptibly. They will have to row against the wind to go downriver.
See here:
Quote:
UT:At the point of the confluence of Glanduin and Mitheithel [Hoarwell] the land was almost flat, and the waters become sluggish and tended to spread into fenland. * But some hundred miles below Tharbad the slope increased. The Gwathló, however, never became swift, and ships of smaller draught could without difficulty sail or be rowed as far as Tharbad.
Quote:
I wish we could have all the Nazgul and the pirate raid be in sync timewise, but whadda ya gonna do. Because if Viv were in Thursday morning right now, she could be a part of some of this pirate stuff, and help Ray and stuff. Can't have everything, I guess.
Haven't I proposed you to send Viv and Buz to rescue Ray and K? Now it is a bit late. I doubt the fight, as it develops now, will ever reach Tharbad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I personally don't know how the ringwraiths are ever going to become friendly enough with one another to work as a united group again.
No one reported them working as a united group again till TA 1980, when the Captain reunited them in Mordor. So they had almost 2000 years to nurse their grudges against each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Just merely a way of getting a little almost uninterrupted action before this RPG comes to its conclusion. Have to grab every opportunity before it is lost.
My feelings exactly. The number of opportunities already lost is uncountable.

Shah, excellent post no 846! Great history post...loved it all.
And thanks for editing the wheelhouse in 845. Udu will be glad, the historical plausibility means much to him (and to me as well! ).

Earniel, nice post. I see there remain some reasonable beings in Nin-in Eilph!

Last edited by Gordis : 02-21-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #900
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Just posted - I know the intelligence issue was controversial a while back and reading back I couldn't tell whether a consensus was reached, so I tried to be as vague as possible. Hope it's ok.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Closed Thread