Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #861
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Ingwionis sat down with A'mael once again to have dinner, near Dol Guldur, near the place he thought he would not have to endure now. The reading Radagast had to study over would be arduous but with so much of it, he was likely to find something, and thus there may be no need for anyone in the company to go back into those halls, perhaps ever again. But he knew it'd not be that easy.

The company had been out from Rosgobel for over two months now, "or was it three by now" Ingwionis pondered. Either way, it didn't much matter.

Ingwioinis knew that he would most likely remain here, in these lands, forever. He was given a chance to go back to Aman, a chance to never fade. He withdrew from that chance and chose to live with his wife. She had been summoned to leave Middle Earth as well, and her offer was still open. Ingwionis' father was strict with him though. In a vision, only days ago, he had spoken with his father, who from Tirion cast his thoughts to him and Ingwionis onto him. It was hopeless now. There would be no going to Aman again, unless by some miracle, and Middle Earth seemed to be out of miracles now. The powers had left, for the most part.

So he pondered that his destiny would be a long one. He would get a chance to journey throughout Middle Earth again, and perhaps many times with the life he had left to live, before the fading would begin. There was no set time for that to happen now, but he felt his spirit ever so slowly consuming him over the last age.

He would share in the fate of those called the Avari, most of whom survived the darkest and most troubled times any Man, Elf, or Dwarf has ever seen in history. In the east they faced brutal foes - the Easterlings, and others such as Elves and Dwarves of the Four Eastern Clans who had joined the ranks of evil. After the fall of Sauron, the power hold over those people began to die out, but it had only been four or five years now since that time came. Perhaps some of the Elves in the east had lived well, and managed to remain with the friendly folk there, but if any did, it was not very many.

By now, the Elves of the East in reality had pushed very close to the shores of the Eastern Sea that was far away and beyond these lands. The quest of Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee to Mordor was great and long indeed, but a most greater journey as far as distance separated the company from any potentially friendly aide, if they were waylaid by renegades of Rhun. The Balchoth had not been completely annihilated. Their influence still filled the eastern summits of the mountains south of the Sea of Rhun and perhaps beyond. They went here and there, from the South-east of Mordor the whole way to Northern Rhun and even into the further regions of the east. They drew so far north that they passed near the settlement of Urd, just a hundred leagues east of where Ingwionis and A'mael had spent the last few years together.

But Ingwionis and A'mael were lucky. They had sent their daughter (from Ingwionis' first wife) to Ithilien, to the new Elven settlements, to be safe. But by now their home had been spotted and without them there to defend it, with their guards drawn to the west, their home was razed by clansmen from the East; whether it was the Balchoth or Wainriders of Old or even Variags who spotted it, it wasn't known yet, for none were there to witness it. Ingwionis had bad feelings the last two nights and had asked himself questions of what he would find when he returns.

Now those questions didn't matter anymore. In speaking with his father in dream, he wasn't able to sleep for three nights now. His thoughts were dreadful. What is to become of me, and of us, if both of us do remain here? Like a child, in his mind he asked himself, would it hurt to fade, would it be painful, would it be sad? He was brought to a cold chill by these thoughts, a chill he hadn't felt since he was left for dead two ages ago after the War of Wrath, when his father lost track of him on the field of battle. His father was most hasty in returning, and now he was most hasty in judging him to not be allowed to come back after his task here was complete. And after the wonder, the sadness, the fear, all began to subside, he felt angry, and cursed in his mind to the point that it came out aloud. "Oh no!" He realized he may have startled everyone, but he looked around him. It was already night now, and most were all asleep. His thoughts had kept him on edge for hours, unaware of his surroundings. He was lost in a thought, living a single moment in the span of a few hours. But to him, the time had passed very quickly now. He had only been thinking of this for several minutes, and now a few hours had passed? But it was natural for this to happen to him. He was a day dreamer, and oftentimes he would slow his own time while everything went on around him. It had gone the other way before, when he could see everything in slow motion, but only when he was calmer, and at peace.

A'mael had risen at around this point. Perhaps she felt that the calm of the night had been stolen. Radagast meanwhile was still reading over the studies brought to him.

A'mael had tried to talk to Ingwionis while he was in deep thought, but failing that, she had decided to get some sleep. It was not common for this to happen, but has happened before. Ingwionis' mind was fully directed at his father's words to him a couple of nights ago, the focus of that concentration being the possible fate for him that his wife would also share.

He had to get his mind off of this subject, and he knew A'mael would not allow him to leave the group. A'mael was not a light sleeper, but she always came out of nowhere to bring sanity to her husband's sometimes sudden and unwise decisions. Ingwionis went with feeling sometimes, to the point that he would abandon planning and go in unprepared. A'mael kept her eyes open slightly as she laid down, watching her husband standing like a statue at the campfire, waiting to make a quick approach if he slipped off suddenly.

They were not so likely to have found the manuscripts that were needed to go on with the quest. I've done nothing to this point, and it should be my chance now, the chance to show that I've got a job to do, that I can show my father that I remained here for a reason. I've got to do it for myself and my dear A'mael. And if I do not survive it, either way, I'm doomed if I don't try, and if I don't try, then more than myself is doomed. Ingwionis thought passionately now, the wreckless fire was burning again. His grey-blue eyes seemed red against the light of the fire, but redder than they would be had it just been the reflection of the flames. He knew that the enemy oftentimes concealed things only found at night. The Elves have done such things as well - doors that open under moonlight, usually boggy swamps that filled with clean water at the touch of night when fate was high and need was near. The Witch-King and his apprentices had ever dwelt in mind-numbing realms of imagination involving Ring Lore and the Black Speech that Morgoth had corrupted from the Elves and Sauron later reinforcing for means of his own reign. They would keep secrets such as these away from all - it is likely the Nazgul always had something against Saruman, even when he 'served' their dark lord. And with that they would cuddle away the secrets of the Ents, so that Sauron could get to them first, but he never did get to all of them...in the North...or the South...or the West......or......the East. The Black Speech was a language of lies and cover-ups. The very information they kept locked away could only be uncovered by bravery only the Valar themselves, including Morgoth, would attempt. The night made the fear rise in both Orc and Man. All have had fear, and Sauron was ever one to fear. Ingwionis had studied the past, both that in which he had lived in and that which was lived before him, and he had studied intent...particularly the intent of those who served to do him and his kin the most harm.

A secret found within the abominable fear of the night...in the depths alone...without anyone to guard or guide me. If I remain quiet and contained...I may elude whatever lurks there, and something does lurk there. I feel it in the stem of my neck. The words in his mind were now not of fear, but of anger for what he thinks his father has cursed him with. I lost a wife once, not again. She is young, and if I die, she will be free to go to Aman. If I succeed, we will both be free to go there. Morbid thoughts he had now, a foolish intention from one whose sleep has been greatly hindered. He would use his own death as a shield for his grief now, and he knew this very well, but he would also use the night and the secrets of the enemy to try and find more evidence. It isn't my doing that brought me here...it was my father's, and it was my father's will that would keep me here if I do not do this...so it is decided.

Ingwionis slowly turned away from the campfire toward A'mael, who seems to be asleep. He kneels down and very slowly, quietly, and discreetly, pulling from his haversack laying on the ground behind him, a cloak. It was no normal cloak. It was one of the cloaks given to him by his first wife, and he slowly reached for his own bow A'mael had given him. Disappearing behind the cloak, while the others lay quietly, and Radagast on the other side of a tree deep in thought, he leaped yards ahead of him. Within the second step, A'mael was in pursuit and Radagast turned to look as he had already sensed it before Ingwionis leaped ahead.

Ingwionis went further and further, toward the grounds of Dol Guldur and into the darkness. An old torch burnt out decades ago caught his cloak and he was now more easily visible.

Ingwionis turned to look toward those pursuing him, no doubt A'mael was not the only pursuer from the company. He backed away into a notch in the hallway he was in, and it was incredibly dark - totally dark. And the sound of footsteps from his right side ended...........

But there was a break of silence to his left and with only a fraction of a second to react, Ingwionis drew his sword and swung carefully at what he knew was not someone in the company.

As Ingwionis swung, a pile of metal armor fell to the ground and the vision of a great armored...something...nearly nine feet tall...collapsed to the ground as a heap of metal armor. The torches in the hallway very briefly spewed fire and went out again. Ingwionis could not help but to be frightened inside, but on the outside he drew fury, one he had not shown for some time. From behind him, toward where A'mael and possibly others were pursuing, he felt a hand on his shoulder draw him toward whoever it was...and the touch was not the touch of darkness as he at first expected...
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #862
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim was sitting under a tree in the darkness, near where Radagast was doing his studies, he looked over towards Ingwionis who was standing by the camp fire, staring like statue. Hedrim had seen that look before in men who had lost everything their family and friends, but never so intense as now.

He watched as Ingwionis walked over towards Amael and pick what looked like a bow and some sort of cloak, he then threw the cloak over himself and melded into the shadows, Hedrim could only brielfly see him as he took off in the direction of Dol guldor. Hedrim got up and walked over to Radagast, "Master Radagast Ingwionis is heading off towards Dol guldor alone, should we not go after him?" with that Hedrim drew his sword.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #863
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami had sat at the edge of the group for most of the night. Sitting just out of the fire's light watching the group and thinking her own dark thoughts. It was a strange night, more than once she noticed Ingwionis standing by the fire, a strange look in his eyes. Haldas had offered her food, when she could found her at the camps edge, but Nami had declind it.

The next time Nami looked up Ingwionis, along with a few others were gone.
"Did i miss something?"

The night, Dol Gladur or maybe it was her own mind, something was playing tricks on her, playing on her fears and her memorys. Things she had long hidden, forgotten, came back. Red eyes staried out at her from the tree line only to blink out in a second.

"Come on Nami, grow up, your too old for night terrors." She thought back to her childhood, to that night. She had refused to tell anyone what had happened. Even her own father who had pleaded with a young Nami that secrets and fear will eat away at you and come back to bite you in the end. Will it looked like he was right there. Maybe it was time she told someone about it. To breath the words to the air so they could be blow away along with her fears.

Taking a deep breath Nami stood up and stepped out of the shadows, lingering there for a while, she finally moved, stepping up to Quickleaf. "Can i tell you something?"
Old 05-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #864
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quickleaf had been lying by one of the trees, half-awake, half-dreaming, tired of both the day's journey into Dol Guldur and comfortably numb from the night's feast. The sound of Nami's voice startled him and he opened his eyes and gazed hazily at her. He picked up his water flask and threw some water in his face and smiled
"Off in a dream. Must have dozed off! You have something on your mind Nami?"
Quickleaf sat up and pulled back his grey cloak from over his head, and seeing Nami's look he gestured for her to sit down.

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 05-25-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #865
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

With a muttered curse Radagast jumped up when Hedrim told him about Ingwionis' action. He didn't even take the time to answer the northern king, the answer should be obvious.

Abandoning the document, the wizard grabbed his staff and went after the recalcitrant elf. Judging by the figure that was also pursuing Ingwionis, A'mael didn't think much of her husband's nightly outings either.

Since I met these adventurers, all I seem to do is run after them to prevent them from running head-first into trouble, Radagast thought glumly. He just caught up with the two elves, when A'mael had grabbed Ingwionis' shoulder to slow him down.

One muttered word from the wizard and a light appeared on the tip of his staff, casting light on the two Elves right before him.

"What the devil possessed you to go trekking through Dol Guldur by night, without a word of warning, Ingwionis!?" he asked gruffly. "I thought Elves grew wiser as the millennia passed, not dumber. You can tell me outside, we are not staying in here at this hour. Out. Now." He said with a voice that brooked no protest.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #866
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Seeing that she had awaken Quickleaf Nami's resolve to confess all wavered.
Nami hesated a moment before sitting down next to Quickleaf, pulling her own cloak closer around her self. Nami didn't know where to start.

"I know ive been a bit distant just lately, things have been playing on my mind. It could be the evil of this place or just its likeness to past events but old memorys have been playing on my mind."

At first Nami found it hard to put into words the events of that fateful night, it was hard to talk about a woman she loved yet her only clear memory of was so full of fear. The more she talked the easier it came to desciding the images in her mind, from the evil hairy body of the spider to the cold loney cave she had found her young self in.
As she reached the end of her tale, Nami sighed, "Thats it." Nami looked down at her hands in her lap.

Last edited by feawen : 05-25-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #867
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

A'mael had grabbed Ingwoinis' shoulder and he struggled to go deeper into the dark. "Now you have a scouting party after you, Ingwionis", A'mael yelled at him.

"What the devil possessed you to go trekking through Dol Guldur by night, without a word of warning, Ingwionis!? I thought Elves grew wiser as the millennia passed, not dumber. You can tell me outside, we are not staying in here at this hour. Out. Now."

An angry voice from Radagast was cast onto him and A'mael pulled Ingwionis down when he tried to struggle, but Ingwionis did not struggle anymore.

Ingwionis came into his right mind again after seeing the light of the staff and hearing Radagast's words.

"Wha? I'm sorry! You don't understand!" Ingwionis said as he got up off the ground and stumbled back toward the camp. He was tired and A'mael grabbed him as he collapsed to the ground, exhausted. He would have to explain himself later after he slept.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #868
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf sat in silence as Nami spoke about her childhood. He was saddened to hear of her mother's death by the malice of the spiders.

"I don't know if you've spoken to a particularly wise elf, Nami" gave her a smile, "But I want to help. These memories should not darken your mind Nami. Not a cheerful elven maid like you. Your too.."
Quickleaf faltered, and he looked down on a fickle stick lying on the ground, an ant was moving swiftly on top of it, with a burden of foods lying on its back. But its pace was fast and it seemed not to tire, moving to its home and on to enjoy the fruits of its strength.
Quickleaf continued
"The love between a child and a mother is strong, and undying.
Although deep fear of evil creatures that lurk in the dark pushes you down, you still have your mother in you, and her light. Walk against that light and the darkness that overshadows you will flicker away, and be only that, a fading shadow with no sway on living things.." Quickleaf looked at Nami, he wondered how she was feeling.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #869
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami looked up as Quickleaf started talking. She wondered what he was going to say when he had said you're too... too what she wondered.
Nami sighed again and looked back at the ground,
"I know i should do as you say, and banish all the dark throughs, but its hard to forget when you dreams wont let you. I can't stay awake for the rest of my life."

Last edited by feawen : 05-25-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #870
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf picked up the stick and the ant walking on top of it became utterly confused..
"Well I could hit you on the head and you'd fall into a deep sleep with oceans of dreams and little to bother you. But you'd get a bump on your head."
Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #871
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami could not help but laugh at Quickleafs comment. It was a bright light laugh, Nami's normally cheerful self shone though for a moment, making her eyes shone.
"You'd have to catch me first before you could hit me, remember i've seen you're aim!"
Old 05-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #872
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf chuckled and let the ant march off the stick, which was utterly bewildered at the sudden lift off. "I'd probably end up poking you in the eye instead" blinking his eye, as if he'd poked his own.
Quickleaf sensed that Nami was expecting more from his earlier comment but he let it be. "Where is that wizard anyways? And Ingwionis and Amael? There seem to be companions missing.. Do you plan on patroling later tonight? I think the moon is out" and Quickleaf tried to get a glimpse from between the evergreen branches above.

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 05-25-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #873
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami shrugged. "Who knows where they got off to this time, as for patrolling if my boss Tabril demands it i shall patrol! But i think she's taking the night shift tonight. Not that ill get any sleep if i tried."
Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #874
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf glanced down at the stick again.. "If anything else fails, there's always me hitting you on the head! Just stand close enough" He was wide awake himself really, the dozing off had given him new energy.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #875
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi sat by the fire sharpening his knives. Tabrîl had taken charge of the perimeter defenses and as they seemed perfectly adequate he saw no reason to say anything to her. The caves interested him little, and he did not understand the desire of the uwindi to go into such places. And anyway, a place full of mysteries was not the place for m'haid - it would be better for him to remain here and do what he was comfortable doing.

Looking up at Nami's words, he frowned and stood, returning his knives to his belt in one fluid movement.

'You need to forget. You need to put these things from your mind. You shall never get rest while you let these things bother you. You must not concentrate on those things from your past that distress you. You must live for the present. The future and the past are not important to us. It is an uwindi weakness and a pathetic one.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #876
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"Softly, Abasi," Haldis interjected from the fire, where she was heating water to clean away the aftermath of supper, "We may be pathetic children to you, but that is still something best kept in the mind and not spoken."

She tested the water with a finger and, judging it hot enough, took it from the fire, piling the used pot and bowls beside it, "If the three of you would be dears and wash these, I must go and check the borders of the camp myself. The Lorien elves have left and Master Radagast is distracted, I do not know if anyone remembered to set wards against hostile spirits and hungry beasties tonight, and I would be certain of it."

So saying she handed them each a dish cloth and left, fingering the carved bear that hung around her neck as she trudged out of the firelight.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #877
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim stopped as he saw Radagast walking back with Amael and Ingwoinis. He sighed and began walking back to the camp, he was still not very tired and decided to go play some music. He walked over to his traveling back and bought out his lute, he picked it once then began to play something that was fast and sounded more like a melody from the far east, it had a fast tempo and made one want to dance. Hedrim looked up at the stars as he continued to play, as he watched the exchange between Nami and Quickleaf.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 AM   #878
Coffeehouse

Hearing Abasi's words Quickleaf laughed,
"Well for an elf that lives so much in the present you sure seem awfully grumpy", and he looked over at Nami "Don't pay attention to him. He's lived so long that he's forgotten how to enjoy it"
Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #879
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl walked the borders alone, and she was content. This was something she knew how to do, and that it was an uwindi camp she guarded did not change that. She was able to forget, for a time, the situation she was in, focusing only on maintaining her heightened state of alertness, ensuring there was no nearby sound or movement that escaped her attention.

She saw, then, when Ingwionis went rushing off through the forest in the direction of Dol Guldur, and in the fraction of a second before she recognized him her hand went to the hilt of the sword at her belt. When she did identify him, however, she did nothing. It was for her to prevent anything from approaching the camp. Leaving was another matter entirely.

It occurred to her that she ought to warn Nami of such possibilities, the need to differentiate friend from foe. Among her people it would have been obvious and not required thought, but these uwindi were loud and unpredictable and could easily be mistaken for a threat.

Yet Nami is herself uwindi, Tabrîl remembered, and blinked. There was no need to warn her against what she must already know. Nami did well for one of them, Tabrîl supposed, she had done all that was asked of her without complaint and to an acceptable standard for one of her level. It had been a good decision, she thought then, to choose her. She doubted any of the other uwindi would have done better.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #880
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi looked at the cloth and dropped it with disgust on the ground, giving Haldis an icy look.

'I am not a bearer of burdens. I do not do this kind of work, and I shall not, as long as they and you live.'

With that, he returned to his seat by the fire.

~The Lay of Leithian

Last edited by Curufin : 05-26-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Closed Thread