Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #861
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm getting increasingly angry about this stupid Dr. Tiller thing. It is absolutely horrifying that someone shot him.

But that does not suddenly turn every anti-abortion supporter into a gun-toting maniac that will KILL TO SAVE THE BABIES.

I think abortion is murder, but I certainly have no intention of committing the same crime myself to prevent it from happening. But it seems like all people can say is how the killer represents the mentality of all pro-life people.

Of course it doesn't drive me any more nuts than how most of the right-wing people I know seem to get a thrill out of demonizing the left-wingers. And the left-wingers demonizing the right-wingers.

Why the hell does everyone want to demonize everyone else? It's not enough to just dislike Obama, you have to HATE him and ridicule every thing he says. I sure don't like him, but I DON'T GO AROUND SPOUTING ON AND ON ABOUT IT. Nor do I blame him for every ill that happens.

Similarly it's not enough to disagree with someone who's pro-life, they have to be an 'arrogant dumb***' for having a different set of morals. What a progressive way to think.

People are dumb and go looking to make drama when it's utterly unneeded.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #862
Mari
Elf Lady

Polarization makes things easier to believe and assume.
Historically there were two sorts of propaganda among warring countries: 1) portray the enemies as beasts that you could slay without problem since they were absolute evil and the world needed to be freed of them or 2) portray them as great warriors, valiant, difficult to overcome and it's only because we are so much better that we can defeat them.
The propaganda used was based on the audience. I don't think that will ever change, silly as it may be. We are all so similar...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #863
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I got five fillings today on the left side of my mouth, and while I'm grateful to live in a society where I can have all of my teeth remain intact, and grateful to live in a family that can afford to get my teeth taken care of... OH MY GOD MY FACE HURTS SO FREAKING MUCH.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #864
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Bloody, bloody administration. It's bad enough I have to get up before 7 in the morning on a Sunday to present myself at the voting station because I'm called up as reserve to man it. However, if you want me to be at the right station, don't change the rooms from what it says on my official documentation! If it says in thick letters room F017, I will be at F017. If I'm not on the list there, I vote and go home. If it turns out, that no, I was not just reserve, I was the first on the list, meant to man the station, in room F018, don't be mad that I'm not there before a reserve takes my place! Besides, you could just have poked your head outside and called my name if you so desperatedly needed me. If I get fined for not manning the station, someone's going to get it!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 AM   #865
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

They changed the room and never told you?

Do they expect you to read their thoughts?

Bureaucrats ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #866
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I'm getting increasingly angry about this stupid Dr. Tiller thing. It is absolutely horrifying that someone shot him.

But that does not suddenly turn every anti-abortion supporter into a gun-toting maniac that will KILL TO SAVE THE BABIES.

I think abortion is murder, but I certainly have no intention of committing the same crime myself to prevent it from happening. But it seems like all people can say is how the killer represents the mentality of all pro-life people.

Of course it doesn't drive me any more nuts than how most of the right-wing people I know seem to get a thrill out of demonizing the left-wingers. And the left-wingers demonizing the right-wingers.

Why the hell does everyone want to demonize everyone else? It's not enough to just dislike Obama, you have to HATE him and ridicule every thing he says. I sure don't like him, but I DON'T GO AROUND SPOUTING ON AND ON ABOUT IT. Nor do I blame him for every ill that happens.

Similarly it's not enough to disagree with someone who's pro-life, they have to be an 'arrogant dumb***' for having a different set of morals. What a progressive way to think.

People are dumb and go looking to make drama when it's utterly unneeded.
I don't know if I'd lay this totally at their doorstep, but frankly, I think the media feeds a lot of this polarization. They're the ones who play up each and every thing, who harp on the red state/blue state thing, etc.

I suppose they don't have any stories when we all get along.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 06-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #867
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
They changed the room and never told you?

Do they expect you to read their thoughts?

Bureaucrats ...
I do expect the switching rooms was an honest mistake of the crew that builds the voting booths last night. But the guy in charge of getting the people together to man the station could have done something to make things clearer. He could have hung up a sign saying the rooms had been switched, he could have waited in the corridor and asked people like me who were just arriving if they were the people he was looking for. I was just right across the corridor with a couple of other people and we hung around for half an hour, before the stations opened, like we were supposed to. He does not get to be annoyed with me for waiting exactly where my instructions said I should be. Bureaucrats, pfft.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #868
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I am so frustrated with people who have great potential in life but wont put even a toe out of their comfort zone in order to realize their own capabilities.

Then when those people tell me that I don't understand because I'm just 'naturally confident'?... A.) I only look that way because I fake it half the time, and B.) It's because I'm FORCING myself to do it. Not many people ARE just naturally confident and at ease... most people develop the ability to appear that way through effort.

So people who wont work even a little to realize their own potential can bite me .
Old 06-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #869
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I am so frustrated with people who have great potential in life but wont put even a toe out of their comfort zone in order to realize their own capabilities.
As long as you're successfully tapping your own talents, you shouldn't feel too downhearted
Keep up the good work!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #870
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Isn't it ironic how people who impose themselves on other people (and probably don't pay rent?) give such a hard time? Sorry, GW! Well, at least you're a comfort and help to your mom!

Well, after 51 days - FIFTY-ONE! - we finally got an offer in writing from the insurance company representing the truck driver that crashed into us and totaled our new car, trailer, and 3 quads.

And they have the NERVE to say the rental car that they are giving us (since they DESTROYED our car) will only continue on through this Friday.

OK, so you say that the claim was complicated and that's why you took FIFTY-ONE days to get a claim to us, then expect US, in FOUR days, to analyze the claim, discuss it with you, come to an agreement, sign the papers, wait for the check in the mail, find a new car, buy it, and wire it up for a scooter lift for our son?

Sorry, buster - you guys took FIFTY-ONE days - we're not getting bullied into FOUR! You will receive our counter-offer in a few days because we're trying to do this in a timely manner and get over it, but our counter-offer will include, among other things, you providing a rental car through a week AFTER we get the check from you

Jerks.

Rian - any updates on the insurance issue and getting all the stuff straightened out?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #871
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Tessar - ouch! I hope your poor mouth is better 0--0

(closed eyes and swollen cheeks)

Earniel - I'm sorry for you, but that is just SO government it's hilarious!! What, they should actually do something SENSIBLE?! What are you THINKING?!?!

Val - thanks for asking - we've been in intense negotiations the last coupla days, and they have not extended the rental van offer (but they don't know we got it for free until Wednesday through the negotiations of our friend). I'm still gonna fight for that, especially since what we're working on now is because THEIR adjustor made some mistakes. We've agreed on over half the points, and I have some more numbers to send to them tomorrow (I should get paid for doing THEIR work but at this point, I'd rather get it done faster). I'm fairly optimistic that we'll agree by the end of the week.

My foot, however, is not good news - looks like I might have gained about all I'll gain of mobility, and I'll have permanent less use of the foot I'll see the surgeon Wednesday to talk about another surgery vs. living with what I have. I can't believe it ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #872
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Earniel - I'm sorry for you, but that is just SO government it's hilarious!! What, they should actually do something SENSIBLE?! What are you THINKING?!?!
Yeah, silly me for trying to apply logic to the government.

Sorry to hear about your continued foot-trouble, though. And the incompetent insurance jerks.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #873
Mari
Elf Lady

How mobile are you now, Rian? I mean: how much can you do before you need to sit down? Is it livable?
I hope something can be done though. Stupid how one little accident can cause such a thing!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #874
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Sorry to hear that, Rian!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #875
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm pretty good walking around for short periods of time - sometimes now it even doesn't hurt, and I think eventually it won't hurt at all, but my balance is really shaky because I can't get the inward movement of the foot going. Most people can rotate their toes inward about 45 degrees, and I can only get about 5-10 degrees. I'm hoping all the nerve pain stuff will go away, too.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #876
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hang in there, Rian. My thoughts and prayers are definitely still with you on the foot thing... just keep striving, and maybe you'll continue to improve. I can think of lots of cases where peoples injuries were not expected to continue to improve, but they kept at it and things did get better. *HUGS*
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #877
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm a bit sad because everyone here forgot my birthday yesterday

Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #878
Rían

I wasn't on yesterday with all my insurance and health problems Sorry! (check over at the bday thread now )

Thanks, Tessar - the owner of the physical therapy place took over my case, and is doing VERY aggressive manipulation. It's really painful, but we're starting to get a little inversion back! We're both exhausted after he works on me.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #879
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Hope it's ok if I rant here. I need somewhere to.

So, this week I ended up very ill. I went to watch a football game, and ended up standing in the sun for a long time because the people I was with didn't want to sit in the shade, further from the pitch.

But everything was fine until I started walking home (alone, as I left early). I didn't realize it, but I was really dehydrated, and my temperature started rising really quickly - and I ended up with dizziness, headache and blurred vision and I was scared I was going to just faint there in the road. Add to the fact that we've had no rain in ages and the road was pretty much just sand and I kept almost tripping over...I honestly have no idea how I managed the half hour walk home.

But I did, anyway, and even though I'm completely exhausted I stay up to drink lots of sugar water and very sweet tea. Then I want to sleep - but Peter, who lives across the road from us, is visiting, and playing incredibly loud rap music. I turn the radio down, and he isn't pleased, and turns on the generator and the TV - with even louder music - and refuses to turn it down. I can't sleep, and I'm feverish and getting a little freaked out by this point. I wanted to go and sleep outside by this point - not too comfortable, but quiet. The others at home won't let me, though, because of the small chance a wild animal might come into our compound.

Eventually Peter's mother tells him to turn the generator off. He does - and puts on a battery-powered TV instead. It's on until 11.30 at night (for context, every other night I've been here, everyone has been in bed by 9) and by that time I'm not only sick but really stressed too and not thinking straight and it was just...not fun.

Peter's response when I was asking him to turn his TV down, if not off - 'Is it my fault you're sick? Did I make you sick?'

If I get sick again I might just go to a hotel. *sigh* Sorry for the crazily long rant.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #880
Earniel

Not a great specimen of humanity, that kid. Maybe he'll get sick one of these days and then you get to repay the favour.

But why nobody else asked Peter to turn that racket off if there's a sick houseguest in the house, is beyond me.

I hope you feel better now.