Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #861
ElvenLover
Elven Warrior

Location: I'm living in the only place teenagers are neither adults nor children, where we are free from the expectations of the world. This place is the insanity of our minds.
Yep a soldier to be. I have always wanted to go into the Navy or the Marines even though the ROTC program that I am in is Army program.
I really don't want to kill anyone, but I would if it meant my life.

I would rather be in the back doing something that would save the life of the people in the front lines, ya know?
That is why I am getting into a lot of engineering and so on.

I'VE GOT A LOVELY BUNCH OF COCONUTS,
THERE THEY ARE ALL STANDING IN A ROW.
BIG ONES, SMALL ONES, SOME AS BIG AS YOUR HEAD,
GIVE THEM A TWIST, A FLICK OF THE WRIST,
THAT'S WHAT THE SHOWMAN SAID.

ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
SINGING ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #862
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenLover
Yep a soldier to be. I have always wanted to go into the Navy or the Marines even though the ROTC program that I am in is Army program.
I really don't want to kill anyone, but I would if it meant my life.

I would rather be in the back doing something that would save the life of the people in the front lines, ya know?
That is why I am getting into a lot of engineering and so on.
Suit yourself. You'll probably be working with my friend Alden Martindale, who is obsessed with planes and plans to be an aeronautical engineer/fighter pilot. However, he is known for not knowing the most fundamental things such as his address...*imagines his blueprints going to the wrong address*...and for his delusions of grandeur. But he is smart, so is his brother.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #863
ElvenLover
Elven Warrior

Location: I'm living in the only place teenagers are neither adults nor children, where we are free from the expectations of the world. This place is the insanity of our minds.
Well, I cant really help it now.
I got into the whole military thing when I was really small (elementary school) and have been facinated with it since. There are disadvantages and so on, but I guess it just suits me.

Its also is a great way to channel anger management and disipline issues. I tend to have a few of those. That is why this Venting Thread will become so very useful to me.

ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #864
trolls' bane

Quote:
Well, I cant really help it now.
I got into the whole military thing when I was really small (elementary school) and have been facinated with it since. There are disadvantages and so on, but I guess it just suits me.

Its also is a great way to channel anger management and disipline issues. I tend to have a few of those. That is why this Venting Thread will become so very useful to me.
But you will never beat the top poster here! (Me! )
I am the top poster in MOST of my active subscribed threads. I am three-time winner of the Nurvingiel Post Award, for being the top poster in several Teacup Cafes at closing.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:17 PM   #865
ElvenLover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
But you will never beat the top poster here! (Me! )
I am the top poster in MOST of my active subscribed threads. I am three-time winner of the Nurvingiel Post Award, for being the top poster in several Teacup Cafes at closing.
I would never hope to beat such a fast and frequent poster. Now all my hopes and dreams lay shattered on the floor. Now I will never be a top poster! Whaaa!!!!!

Just kidding It will just have to serve as a nice little outlet for me and my beautiful anger.

I am moving on up though. Just look. 17 Posts!
Ha Ha! Success!!!

ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH!

Last edited by ElvenLover : 03-24-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #866
trolls' bane

Quote:
I would never hope to beat such a fast and frequent poster. Now all my hopes and dreams lay shattered on the floor. Now I will never be a top poster! Whaaa!!!!!

Just kidding It will just have to serve as a nice little outlet for me and my beautiful anger.

I am moving on up though. Just look. 17 Posts!
Ha Ha! Success!!!
Well, quicker than me went I started.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #867
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

edit to erase - not a vent. After seeing all the talking, I incorrectly assumed I'd stumbled in on the Teacup Cafe. Going to the Cafe, now...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 03-24-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #868
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
She's beautifully angry - I love her already! A soldier-to-be, and beautifully angry! NICE! Very cool.

I don't know if being a "top poster" is something to be so proud about. Doesn't it just mean you're the most proficient at spamming, and making millions of posts when other people might like to get a word in edgewise? Seriously, it's quality is what's better than quantitiy, for real you guys. Having said that, I do admit that I, too, have been guilty of shameless posting overload. Just look at how many posts I've acquired since I only just joined less than a year ago? Yeah, I used to load up on posts like there was no tomorrah.
I don't think my posts are spam, and certainly not the majority. *sigh* Stop living in the past.
Besides, I spent most of my time commenting and comfortign others' worries. That's why I'm the top poster.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #869
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Trolls' Bane, this is the Temporary Venting thread, not the Cafe. We're all gonna end up getting our posts deleted, if we keep up this off-topic chatting. Post before last, I seriously thought I was in the Teacup, and was posting like I was. Come to find out - wrong thread. Too much chat in the wrong threads.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #870
ElvenLover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
She's beautifully angry - I love her already! A soldier-to-be, and beautifully angry! NICE! Very cool.

I don't know if being a "top poster" is something to be so proud about. Doesn't it just mean you're the most proficient at spamming, and making millions of posts when other people might like to get a word in edgewise? Seriously, it's quality is what's better than quantitiy, for real you guys. Having said that, I do admit that I, too, have been guilty of shameless posting overload. Just look at how many posts I've acquired since I only just joined less than a year ago? Yeah, I used to load up on posts like there was no tomorrah.

Thank you, Thank you! *bows and laughs*
I don't have very many that compliment my anger, but I am glad that someone appreciates my humanity.

I love you too!
What is not to love?

(It's the eyes. I swear they get me every time!)

ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #871
trolls' bane

Quote:
Trolls' Bane, this is the Temporary Venting thread, not the Cafe. We're all gonna end up getting our posts deleted, if we keep up this off-topic chatting. Post before last, I seriously thought I was in the Teacup, and was posting like I was. Come to find out - wrong thread. Too much chat in the wrong threads.
Actually, that last post wasn't off topic, I dont' think. But it doesn't matter, 'cause I got a vent this time.
Vent: I can't turn off this e-mail notification thing. Do I have to go through EVERY ONE of my subscribed threads and turn it off?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:13 AM   #872
ElvenLover
Elven Warrior

Yep. it's really not that bad.(I think)

Look! I am already at 25 posts!

ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH!

Last edited by ElvenLover : 03-25-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:24 AM   #873
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Vent: I can't turn off this e-mail notification thing. Do I have to go through EVERY ONE of my subscribed threads and turn it off?
I can imagine the state of your poor inbox, totally flooded with emails beginning with "Entmoot"...
And yet another 90-second vent!
Followed by another 90-second vent!
How long is 90 seconds????
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 AM   #874
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Ciao, Lief! I don't see much of you around here lately, good to see you.
Good to see you too . And good to see Entmoot survived its brief shut-down!!!
Quote:
So, Russia being spooky is a vent? Actually, this what you bring up here about Russia sounds like an awesome new idea for a new discussion thread. Russians are kind of crazy, let me tell you I know a few lawless and "spooky" Russians. Cool, but crazy. For instance, you never wanna f**k with a Russian, there's no telling what he or she'll do. The heart, history and soul of the culture, the Russia of Russia, has been so damaged and has suffered such a great deal throughout this past century, especially and most notably from the hand of Stalin, but also from having all their history erased. When the iron curtain fell, nobody knew any truth about their history. No one had an identity; the Communist regime had quashed it en masse so badly. That did something awful to the group psyche, the heart of the bear as it were, and it'll be an awfully long time before that kind of long-term wound will ever really be able to heal right. In the meantime, corruption, organised crime, black-market arms dealing, russian mail-order briding, stuff like that is just picking up speed. It's like a wild west thing going on out there, except it's more like the Wild East.
I've been taking some honors classes in the history of western civilization, and based on that research, I think Russia may actually be in one of its better times right now. As you point out, it's definitely not a good situation, but it historically has been much worse, as you very rightly pointed out by mentioning Stalin. The country is becoming more and more authoritarian, and like I said, it's spooky and sometimes downright nasty. This giving info about our troops to Saddam is rather freaky to me, though logical in view of the fact that Russia had all sorts of oil contracts with Iraq when Saddam was in charge of the country (Hypocrites . Accusing us of going intervening in Iraq because of oil, and then intervening against us in the country because of the oil themselves!).

But democracy is fading in Russia because it had little root there to begin with. Russia has a history dating back to the dark ages of oppression and authoritarian dominance. Severe cruelty go back to many of its major leaders, and being used to dictatorship is part of their culture and frame of mind. Stalin was one of the fiendish ones indeed- he killed 15 million of his peasants through his collectivization farming policies . But brutal dictatorship has always been part of their history. Ivan III's storming of Novagarad, Ivan IV killing his own son and Peter I torturing and executing the people of the streltsey rebellion . . . These, particularly Ivan III and Peter I, were some of Russia's greatest leaders.

It's really, really tough to change the course of centuries' experience and get a real democracy there. Authoritarian dictatorship and perverse violence are so entrenched in that culture that they're almost inextricable. It will be very hard to create an environment suited to lasting change in that country.

I don't know if I'd be involved in a Russia thread, if you created one. Like you noticed, I'm kind of taking a time away from Entmoot in general right now.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 AM   #875
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

vent - my dad came down with shingles - an odd-sounding disease, but incredibly painful He's lost weight, and it's not getting better - it's been a month He finally went to a pain-management clinic today (UCLA, in Santa Monica) and they jumped on it pretty aggressively, because if you don't stop the constant pain, after a while, it will become permanant

I hate seeing him hurt I hope the treatment works - we'll know more by Monday or Tuesday.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #876
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Good to see you too . Like you noticed, I'm kind of taking a time away from Entmoot in general right now.

well, that's o.k.- i mean i am not here myself - and Lotsy is cutting right down too...

though i shall depart again properly pretty soonish now.

Once the Grand order of the marrow has been set up.

(i shall be in touch ...)

yes, in a general sense you are right - look at what is happening in Ukraine - VERY important to Russia- the Ukraine.

But then, Lief lets not be naive nor be biased here - most of these complaints can be directed equally at the United States (and indeed to a lesser degree to Britain too)

best, BB

P.S - Elven lover and TB - Lotesse is right -this is not a spam thread - it is the temporary venting thread ...

Let's put it this way, ok? - If even me and lotsy consider it spam here and are both tellin' ya its blatant spam in this thread here - then i would take it as read it is!!!!

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS!
OR THE VENTS WILL BE ON YOU TWO!!

Best, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 03-25-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #877
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
most of these complaints can be directed equally at the United States
I disagree totally. I know we've done some horrible things too, but we haven't had any Stalins in the US. We've had some sadistic people here, but none who has the blood of over 20 million of his own people on his hands. At no time in our history either can you compare the US with Soviet Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
and indeed to a lesser degree to Britain too
I also disagree about your comparison of Britain and the US! Britain has more to be ashamed of in its past than we do. Do we have the Religious Wars staining our national memory with a sea of bloodshed? No, but we have the Civil War, a conflict in which we tore our nation apart to end slavery. Do we have any Queen Marys? Or John Plantagenets? And who invented drawing and quartering? We're responsible for having comitted atrocities and cruelties I agree, but not on the level of England.

Britain is a wonderful place; I love Britain, but I would say it ranks differently in comparison with the US than you think it does.

None of this is intended as a personal attack, of course . Just a clash of views.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-25-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #878
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Off Topic Notice******off Topic Notice*******

This is almost getting to be a totally different topic thread all by itself. Temproary Venting is for stuff that is bothering you at present; like off topic discussions. If enough are interested-we can figure out a proper name for a new topic thread to continue political discussions.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #879
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Got it. Apologies .

Old 03-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #880
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Where did all my time go? It seems I've been working to get that place fixed for weeks. When will it ever be finished? So much to do still. Not enough time to do it all properly. Only two more weeks to get ready and then the shop has to open. *moan* And now the newts are waking up and I haven't had time to ready their pond yet! Noooo!