Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #861
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Sweet... Hey! I've only noticed.. you've got twenty posts left till your 500! Woo hoo!!! You moved along at a rate much faster than mine, but then again, for two years, I confined myself to the Quote Game thread.

I want someone to write something so I can write something!!!! I'll go see if there's something new!

Hey, Mari... do you care who exactly Ellysa's clutching onto?
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 09-23-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #862
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Sweet... Hey! I've only noticed.. you've got twenty posts left till your 500! Woo hoo!!!
And now you know why I want Princess of the Noldor as my new title

I had written more in my previous post, but I'm only posting this from a mobile phone, and when I tried some cut and paste, half of the post disappeared Perhaps I should write a family biography in the Writer's Workshop?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #863
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
So she is born in a different world, but prefers not to talk much about it. It's very difficult to explain to people she meets. And I try to play down the cross-over element.
Alright then, I tend to be a purist when it comes to RPG characters, but as this is fairly small detail, I'll let it stand.

If you want, now's a good time to post your introduction in the game. The Raft-Elves should camped on the banks of the Celduin river, not far from the edges of Greenwood. It would make sense, I think, if Barufiniel is already among them. The captain of the Raft-Elves has just been informed by Radagast that his passengers will arrive soon at the agreed location, if they follow the markers Radagast left for them. I'm sure he will pass the news on to Barufiniel.

The others should only need a few days of travel to get from the village to the river. I hope none of them has hydrophobia.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #864
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

hyrophobai the one phobia nami doesn't have!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #865
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Alright then, I tend to be a purist when it comes to RPG characters, but as this is fairly small detail, I'll let it stand.

If you want, now's a good time to post your introduction in the game. The Raft-Elves should camped on the banks of the Celduin river, not far from the edges of Greenwood. It would make sense, I think, if Barufiniel is already among them. The captain of the Raft-Elves has just been informed by Radagast that his passengers will arrive soon at the agreed location, if they follow the markers Radagast left for them. I'm sure he will pass the news on to Barufiniel.

The others should only need a few days of travel to get from the village to the river. I hope none of them has hydrophobia.
I'm wary of doing cross-overs on a Tolkien board unless it's specifically stated that it is a cross-over. Even on my own RPG on another Tolkien board, I mention Narnia as little as possible - it's the story where she tries to find her way from Rohan to Rivendell (and will meet Gandalf along the way). She is a true Middle-earth-ian elf after all, not some "Narnian elf"-anomaly.

I'll aim for not mentioning Narnia at all in this story.

I hope to post within a couple of days - Barufiniel is indeed already with the Raft-Elves. Celduin river it is.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #866
Mari
Elf Lady

Midge, no I don't care really.

Eärn, as long as Ellysa can sit in the middle of the raft, she should be fine
She can't swim though.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #867
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Hey I'm retiring Quickleaf.

Have fun with the rest of the quest!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #868
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

what? retiring? going? forever? why?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #869
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Why are you retiring Quickleaf??? He just got his eyes back!

Mari: If you want, you can have Ellysa freak out a little bit. Magor will find Aerin and Ellysa in the next post or so, but I just thought that one little last bit of excitement would do.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #870
Earniel

That's rather sudden, Coffeehouse. I had the impression you were enjoying the game. May I ask what brought it on so suddenly?
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #871
Varnafindë

I've introduced Barufiniel - not a lot about her background after all, but it can come later - perhaps the captain will ask her, or we can leave it for the group to ask her. Even for Radagast. I didn't have time for a post of three times the length ...

Coffeehouse - kommer vi ikke til å spille sammen likevel?

Last edited by Varnafindë : 09-25-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #872
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Hmm. I should have Abasi say something later, although he's probably not the most welcoming of our little fellowship.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #873
Mari
Elf Lady

He's ignored Ellysa for a while now
Say, where's Aika? Busy IRL?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #874
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I've introduced Barufiniel - not a lot about her background after all, but it can come later - perhaps the captain will ask her, or we can leave it for the group to ask her. Even for Radagast. I didn't have time for a post of three times the length ...
Not all posts need to be long. It's fine. I'm sure there will be occasions enough to bring up background, especially when she will meet with the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Hmm. I should have Abasi say something later, although he's probably not the most welcoming of our little fellowship.
I'd love to see some more posts about Abasi and Tabrîl, they've been silent for quite a while now.

And now with Coffeehouse's so sudden departing, I worry I'm not doing my job properly as GM and that people are not enjoying the game and keeping silent. I was thinking of doing this later, near the end of the game, but I might as well do it now...

Okay, everybody, it's rate-your-GM-time. Since this is the first game I started up and led, this is also largely a learning experience, meaning I am well aware that I may be handling some things wrong. So if you guys could give me some feedback on this, I'd be very grateful.

What I'd like to know firstly is whether you are enjoying this game. If you're not enjoying it, why not, and what would it take to rectify that? Do you like the way the plot is revealed step by step, or would you rather have more say in the matter, a more democratic way of plotting? Do you feel you need to invest too much time in playing and keeping up with this game? Is the game boring, or too spun-out? Is it going too quickly, or too slowly? Do you feel I am too strict as GM, too controlling, or too vague perhaps? Do I need to offer more chances for interaction, am I leaving some characters feeling left out? Is there anything you feel I'm doing wrong, could improve, or anything else you think could be better or what you just like to share about LLL?

I am not looking for praise or anything, I just really like to know how you lot think the game (and its leader) is. You don't have to answer everything, if you can just give me a general idea what of you think, it's totally fine. But if there needs to be changed anything, I better learn of it now, before the game ends, while I still can do something about it. If you want to say something negative, don't be afraid. I'm a grown woman and I can take criticism and most solemnly garantee I won't take petty revenge. If you don't like to say something on the public forum, feel free to PM me with it. Thank you.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #875
Midge
Faithful Gardener

As this is my first RPG I've ever participated in, I don't have much comparison. You're doing a fine job, Earn, IMO.

Sometimes (esp. over this summer!) I wish the game ... not would go faster, but would have more people posting. This is actually quite a good outlet for writing when you feel like it, but can't think of anything in particular to write about (a problem I run into a lot!). I like this game very much.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #876
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Well... so far the game has managed to maintain a nice balance between lighthearted and dramatic, the discussion thread fluff-ups have been minimal, and the plot has been getting revealed at fairly regular intervals. Overall you're doing well.

I would like to see a little more of Radagast in interactive bits. Right now you've been keeping him quiet between plot posts which limits what can be done with the characters who are along on the quest out of friendship with him rather than any summons a bit.

One thing I would like to see in general is not more posting necessarily, but more time taken with posts. Everyone's writing is good, but sometimes it feels like posts are being written in a hurry and those contain technical mistakes, contradictions to earlier posts - things like that. If everyone could just pay a little more attention to continuity and give their posts a once over for typos before hitting submit it would make the game easier to follow and easier to play. It's hard to interact with other characters when you can't tell where they are or quite what they're saying.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 09-25-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #877
Mari
Elf Lady

I think you are doing a great job. I like not knowing the plot or what will happen or where we end up.
Your posts are always well thought out and you seem to be in control of the game while giving us a lot of room to improvise. Perhaps you give us a bit too much room at times which causes us to do side things which might be interesting (like getting to know eachother better) or things like describing the surroundings which is also interesting, but makes it feel like we are waiting for something to happen.
So perhaps you can give us a little nudge to move on a bit earlier at times.
But the story so far is also good: we have a goal, we have clues and we have mysterious marters and we sort of know how to get there.
I think it is all going rather well, and I'm enjoying it. (though I currently have a writersblock sort of... >_<)

Old 09-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #878
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I think overall that this is a good RP. My only problem with it would be that the plot seems to be pushing it forward more than the characters are, which is the opposite of the way I usually like to do RP's. But that's just me.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #879
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I'm glad this is a lighthearted role-play. Fleeing an angry mob with a mule train could have been really bad...
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 09-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #880
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

im loving the fast that i dont know whats going to happen. it means i can still try and have little plot storys for Nami while still having the excitment of not knowing whats going to happen. I love that not every one likes each other we've got a good mix and that has made some interesting bits to write and read. However i would agree with willow, we dont hear enough on the workings of Ragarast. come and have a chat with us once in a while!

Speaking of Ellysa, her and Nami haven't really talked since dol gladar and that was a bit of a turning point for the two of them together, i think they need a bit of a chat!
Closed Thread