Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #861
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I found this the most disgusting part of the whole evening. ... Frankly I consider this essentially fascist. ... In some corners they are already becoming known as the WE HATE GAYS referendums. Now honestly, if you disagree with gay marriage on a religious basis but have great "compassion and love" for gays then HOW can you lump yourself happily together with bigots and homophobes who strip normal civil and personal rights that gays have already held for some time?
I imagine the people inhabiting the corners that come up with names like "WE HATE GAYS" and "bigots" and "homophobes" for people that believe traditional marriage is right, like to call themselves "tolerant", for some mysterious reason incompatible with logic.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:18 AM   #862
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, it's all one big hypocritical ride, isn't it? The conservatives love the liberals that they damn, and the liberals are accepting of everyone as long as they're not conservatives damning liberals.

So basically, everyone ends up on their own side, until the walls are torn down by bombs, and then no one is left to etch sweet nothings on anyone's tombstone.

Well if it's going to be like that, there's nothing left to do but to buy a ticket, get in the cart, keep your safety harness fastened and your hands to yourself. Let's have fun out there ... before we all die.

[This message has been brought to you by the optimistic pessimist.]
Old 11-05-2004, 01:02 AM   #863
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Did you forget to take your Prozac, Ñólendil?

I was amused by the "mandate" for goals like restructuring the tax code and privatizing SS. How about just finishing the mess in Iraq. That would be impressive. Or is the war just a cover for the real agenda? *reaches for Prozac*

In the name of reaching out and bipartisanship shouldn't this thread be closed? lol
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 11-05-2004, 01:07 AM   #864
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan
I was amused by the "mandate" for goals like restructuring the tax code and privatizing SS. How about just finishing the mess in Iraq. That would be impressive. Or is the war just a cover for the real agenda? *reaches for Prozac*
Well I think the tax code needs to be changed - I have supported the flat tax for years - but that doesn't seem what he has in mind. Also - Social Security needs to be tackled. It is an unsustainable system when it has a large number of retirees and fewer workers.

As for the war in iraq - I don't think that is as much of a mess as the media wanted to portray before the election. I have a feeling that the constant negative reporting will now disappear. Most of the media was set on an agenda - to prevent the reelection of Bush - they failed.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-05-2004 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:27 AM   #865
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ñólendil
Yes, it's all one big hypocritical ride, isn't it? The conservatives love the liberals that they damn, and the liberals are accepting of everyone as long as they're not conservatives damning liberals.
Hear, hear.

It actually had to define what "open-minded" to someone who described themselves as that...right before saying "But it's my opinion, and NOTHING will be able to change that. I can't stand it when people try to change it."

No one was trying to change her particular opinion. They were explaining their own side. ::headdesk::
Old 11-05-2004, 01:58 AM   #866
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Did you forget to take your Prozac, Ñólendil?
No, I take paxil.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:14 AM   #867
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
As for the war in iraq - I don't think that is as much of a mess as the media wanted to portray before the election. I have a feeling that the constant negative reporting will now disappear. Most of the media was set on an agenda - to prevent the reelection of Bush - they failed.
You mean we'll have to watch Al Jezeera to find out about American casualties? Seems it would get more press now that there is less election coverage. A bit paranoid.... that same media was "embedded" and drooling over the possible ratings before the war. Thier choice of coverage is driven by one simple aspect - ratings. Why else did the stupid Swift Boat Veterans for (SNICKER) Truth get so much coverage in the media? The media is controlled more by the likes of ultra-conservative Ruppert Murdoch than the Ted Turner faction. They do have one thing in common...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 11-05-2004, 03:16 AM   #868
jerseydevil

Quote:
You mean we'll have to watch Al Jezeera to find out about American casualties? Seems it would get more press now that there is less election coverage. A bit paranoid.... that same media was "embedded" and drooling over the possible ratings before the war. Thier choice of coverage is driven by one simple aspect - ratings. Why else did the stupid Swift Boat Veterans for (SNICKER) Truth get so much coverage in the media? The media is controlled more by the likes of ultra-conservative Ruppert Murdoch than the Ted Turner faction. They do have one thing in common...
Spoken like a true head in the sand liberal.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 03:31 AM   #869
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think we should come up with a new faction (neither conservative nor liberal) that can get along--they'll just be really confused.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:09 AM   #870
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:

Spoken like a true head in the sand conservative.....
Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #871
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

oops, never mind....

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 11-05-2004 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Scared to death I'll get fired for saying the wrong thing!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #872
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ñólendil
I think we should come up with a new faction (neither conservative nor liberal) that can get along--they'll just be really confused.
Conservibles? Liberatives?

I don't really give a rats rump what people are labelled as anyway. I'm quite socially liberal, but probably conservative in other areas... (maybe finance?)etc etc. So it doesn't really matter what we call ourselves. We just should express our feelings with respect for the views of others.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-05-2004, 09:48 AM   #873
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Conservibles? Liberatives?

I don't really give a rats rump what people are labelled as anyway. I'm quite socially liberal, but probably conservative in other areas... (maybe finance?)etc etc. So it doesn't really matter what we call ourselves. We just should express our feelings with respect for the views of others.
I agree.

Tell that to those "open-minded" (snigger) conservatives.

There is a reason why "liberals" are called such. They have a liberal attitude, i.e, they have an OPEN MIND. Sorry, it appears that the caps lock slipped on at a very appropriate moment.....

But anyway, I think your trying to convince the wrong people. ..

I'll be here till Tuesday, try the Veal!

Last edited by Fenir_LacDanan : 11-05-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #874
Cirdan

Quote:
And I can easily guess where your head is stuck.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 11-05-2004, 01:11 PM   #875
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
We just should express our feelings with respect for the views of others.
Yes!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #876
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir_LacDanan
I agree.

Tell that to those "open-minded" (snigger) conservatives.

There is a reason why "liberals" are called such. They have a liberal attitude, i.e, they have an OPEN MIND. Sorry, it appears that the caps lock slipped on at a very appropriate moment.....

But anyway, I think your trying to convince the wrong people. ..

I'll be here till Tuesday, try the Veal!
Actually, the words "liberal" and "conservative" as they are used today are being used incorrectly.

I'm amazed that someone who is open minded would swear at me, call me names, and label me as "ignorant" or "retarded" simply because I'm a moderate.

True story, and what's worse, it happened DURING class.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #877
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
Actually, the words "liberal" and "conservative" as they are used today are being used incorrectly.

I'm amazed that someone who is open minded would swear at me, call me names, and label me as "ignorant" or "retarded" simply because I'm a moderate.

True story, and what's worse, it happened DURING class.

Class? I do want to know, what 'Class'?

I am in Australia, and we most certianly are asking "what class" and so on...

So who was this person who labeled you so? Courage, have they??>>>>>
Old 11-05-2004, 01:35 PM   #878
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

A fellow student.

And it was in my math class, so politics had no place there anyway.

edit: ANd I really don't appreciate your sarcasm, since I take harassment seriously.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 11-05-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #879
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
A fellow student.

And it was in my math class, so politics had no place there anyway.

edit: ANd I really don't appreciate your sarcasm, since I take harassment seriously.
Well you just ignore him really - he gets really pissed when you just ignore him (You should see the PM he sent me because he was pissed I wouldn't acknowledge his presence on the board ). He has no one to talk to - it's rather funny and sad at the same time.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 01:51 PM   #880
jerseydevil

Quote:
And I can easily guess where your head is stuck.
Yup - my head is stuck on my neck - you got me.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread