Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #841
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Indeed, I think he would be quite astounded if he knew, not the mention about the people who actually make the effort to learn Quenya and Sindarin themselves!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:45 PM   #842
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*bump*

I thought I'd bump this thread for some of the new users - it's really fun to write in Tengwar, but in your native tongue. You don't have to learn Elvish that way, but you can write in "Elvish" characters and enjoy it

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:49 PM   #843
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
its hard i could barely write my name, let alone a sentence, what wit hthe stems and the dots and the other-things
Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 PM   #844
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Well, you just have to practice it. I would just always have some paper and a pen with me, and would practice when I was waiting anywhere (grocery store, bank, etc.) I got to where I could write in Tengwar as fast as I could print nicely in English. Reading was always a bit harder for me, but it's the actual writing that I enjoy. It's also great to write notes to yourself that you don't want anyone to read!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #845
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
well, now I am determined to learn it. after I learn Quenya, or perhaps before, or at the same time. SO CONFUSED!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:24 AM   #846
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I have this habit of writing notes to myself in Tengwar when I'm bored in class - usually stuff I don't want other people to read. Like RÃ*an, I've gotten to where I can write it as fluently as English, though reading it is somewhat harder. Maybe one of these days I'll post some scribblings again...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:37 AM   #847
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I do that too... and much too much. And when I write something in Quenya, I put it in Tengwar and pray I'm right...

I can't imagine being fluent in reading it. I have enough trouble reading hiragana!

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-01-2005, 09:24 AM   #848
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Hey, I just realised that since I have a scanner now, I could post some Tengwar! Now, where is my cheat sheet...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #849
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiopeia
Hey, I just realised that since I have a scanner now, I could post some Tengwar! Now, where is my cheat sheet...
How do you do that? I've got a Tengwar font on my computer, but I can't figure out how to post it here...

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #850
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

When you're replying to a thread, there's a "Manage Attachments" button. Click on that and it should attach your file. *fingers crossed*
Old 02-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #851
Rían

The attachment has to be really small tho - like only 10k or something ridiculous.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #852
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i might try and learn tengwar someday

at the moment i am trying to learn quenya and sindarin phonetically, tho, as well as college!!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #853
Rían

It's a lot quicker learning Tengwar than learning Quenya and Sindarin, IMO, and you can just enjoy writing in it.

We had some nice attachments in this thread - I should put some links to some of the attachments in the first post here ...

Old 02-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #854
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Trying to write Quenya in tengwar can get... interesting, IMO. I'm not exactly fluent in either, just really, really bored in class.

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #855
Rían

That's why I write English in Tengwar. Great for boring classes! Check out the first post now - I added two links to some samples.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #856
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

That's nice, RÃ*an! My only problem with trying to write in English is that I don't know what to make the different symbols mean! Or where the vowels go! I mean... I follow the Quenya structure, which doesn't have a "d" without another consonant (n, r, l usually) in front of it, and where the vowel is put over the preceding consonant... except everything is different if you then switch over to Sindarin...

I couldn't begin to guess how to write in English!

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #857
Rían

This thread is on ENGLISH-mode Tengwar See the first post for links and examples. The characters have different sounds assigned to them in different languages, and JRRT made a mode for English. If you have letters of JRRT, check out letter 117. Also, check out Appendix E in ROTK. There is a paragraph about English mode Tengwar (how there really isn't one in existence in the LOTR world), and how the title page examples are how a man of Gondor would have done it. Very interesting - and again, one doesn't need to know Sindarin or Quenya, and it's loads of fun!

The vowel format is like Sinardin, IIRC - the vowel mark goes over the following consonant, so you end up reading left to right, top to bottom if there's vowel marks or other modifiers. Again, check out the examples on the title page and on the link in the first post of this thread And try translating the title page Tengwar writing on your LOTR books! See what you get!

Last edited by Rían : 02-07-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #858
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

*stares at translation in shock*

The Westmarch by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien: herein is set forth the history of the War of the Ring and the Return of the King as seen by the Hobbits.

Well, that explains why I was never able to figure that one out before... I had assumed it was in Elvish also... preferably Quenya since I can't really handle Sindarin.

Well... Thanks, RÃ*an.

But it's going to be hard to get out of the structure where you write the vowel above the following vowel instead of the preceding one... I've been using Quenya too much to just change over.

Well... at least I can improve my Quenya at the same time.

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 AM   #859
Rían

You're welcome! I think there's some in UT, too, and the HoME books. But Christopher Tolkien wrote a little differently than his dad. One of the links provides all the Tolkien-written Tengwar samples (JRRT and CT) and their translation - fun!

I don't know ... I don't think it's too hard to switch over - there's some samples that are written in the Quenya vowel style, and I just got into a different rhythm with them and did fine.

Anyway, I just like the English-mode so much because I can write ANYTHING I want to in it!

Last edited by Rían : 02-09-2005 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #860
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Anyway, I just like the English-mode so much because I can write ANYTHING I want to in it!
I can write anything I want in Quenya... ahem... Maybe not... But with a dictionary and enough time...

On an off note, it's amazing how much Tengwar has helped me learn Japanese characters...

Speaking of the HoME, you know, I just got PoME in the mail, but it was missing 30 pages! Part of which was the Shibboleth!

Neil Gaiman
Closed Thread