Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:05 AM   #841
Baby-K
Corruptor

Reading about it almost put me on a trip myself, he's very tongue in cheek I think, definitely not a braindead warbler and I hate to use the word 'misunderstood' but in some ways it does apply to him. Quite interesting (but then I have a thing for autobiographies - recently read one of Wouter Basson, who was SA's doctor death, he was at the head of the Nuclear & Chemical Warfare programme - chilling stuff). I laughed at the part where his girlfriend or whatever sneezed all over his hand

Quote:
nah im reading the Satanic Bible because it seems interesting and because LaVey seems very intelligent and i think the messages in the Satanic Bible would be right down my path (DOWN WITH GOD!!!!!)... but hey i might be surprised and get a laugh out of it...
Why do you say he seems intelligent? What makes his writings more acceptible / beliebable than those of the writers of the Bible? Just asking 'cos it seems interesting.

Are you interested in learning of the Satanic/dark practices only, or different religions in general? I like reading about different religions and the practices etc & when I have questions I ask my friend *stares in general direction of Durham* for help, he's very clever
Old 07-14-2003, 10:10 AM   #842
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

I've read the Satanic Bible

What an idiot. (read it as a kid as a rebellious thing)
Old 07-14-2003, 10:14 AM   #843
Baby-K
Corruptor

I guess we all go through moments like that - I had the whole 'metal / grunge / goth' thing going for a while - read as many taboo stuff as possible while listening to music like Marilyn Manson, Panthera, Iron Maiden etc etc etc - drove me folks round the bend, now just about the 'loudest' I can handle is Metallica - gods I'm getting old
Old 07-14-2003, 10:22 AM   #844
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Reading about it almost put me on a trip myself, he's very tongue in cheek I think, definitely not a braindead warbler and I hate to use the word 'misunderstood' but in some ways it does apply to him. Quite interesting (but then I have a thing for autobiographies - recently read one of Wouter Basson, who was SA's doctor death, he was at the head of the Nuclear & Chemical Warfare programme - chilling stuff). I laughed at the part where his girlfriend or whatever sneezed all over his hand
ohhh plenty of his girlfriends were ****ed, like the one he had planned to kill (Twiggy and Manson going to commit a murder always seems funny to me, maybe im the ****ed one ) his latest girlfriend is hot as, and sane
Quote:
Why do you say he seems intelligent? What makes his writings more acceptible / beliebable than those of the writers of the Bible? Just asking 'cos it seems interesting.
the writers of the bible were intelligent, in the same way Charles Manson was intelligent. A lot of Anton Lavey's ideas are influenced by Neitsche and are more about living life with the God is Dead outlook. LaVey is dead now but of what i read he seems very intelligent and his ideas which have shaped some great music (HURRAH FOR MM!) and art. he seems very wise in both psychology and philosophy and i count them fairly high in wisdom.
Quote:
Are you interested in learning of the Satanic/dark practices only, or different religions in general? I like reading about different religions and the practices etc & when I have questions I ask my friend *stares in general direction of Durham* for help, he's very clever
Nah LaVeys satanism is not a "dark practice" sorta do... its more living life not within God's purposes, a lot of it is taking the left hand road in life, living by what was deemed satanic by Christians, eg accepting homosexualism... it judges people on there knowledge (saying intelligence just leads to confusion as ive now learnt ) and not on race, color, sexual preferences ect. Dark practices creep me
Old 07-14-2003, 10:35 AM   #845
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
ohhh plenty of his girlfriends were ****ed, like the one he had planned to kill (Twiggy and Manson going to commit a murder always seems funny to me, maybe im the ****ed one ) his latest girlfriend is hot as, and sane
Ye know, many people would go 'Yeah Millane, 'tis you'............. but I'm not one of them, yer quite right 'bout his freaky exes

Define 'sane'

Quote:
the writers of the bible were intelligent, in the same way Charles Manson was intelligent. A lot of Anton Lavey's ideas are influenced by Neitsche and are more about living life with the God is Dead outlook. LaVey is dead now but of what i read he seems very intelligent and his ideas which have shaped some great music (HURRAH FOR MM!) and art. he seems very wise in both psychology and philosophy and i count them fairly high in wisdom.
I didn't say you questioned their intelligence, merely that you seem more willing to accept his writings over their's. Hehe God = Dead, LaVey = Dead, therefore, by sheer mathematical deduction LaVey = God! (soz, it just looked funny, the way you put it, but that might just be me).

Quote:
Nah LaVeys satanism is not a "dark practice" sorta do... its more living life not within God's purposes, a lot of it is taking the left hand road in life, living by what was deemed satanic by Christians, eg accepting homosexualism... it judges people on there knowledge (saying intelligence just leads to confusion as ive now learnt ) and not on race, color, sexual preferences ect.
But then, is it really Satanism? Because if you think of it Satanism is inverted Christianity, thus Satanism cannot exist without the belief that there is a God, with Satan as the Lord directly opposite. Also Satanism has a lot to do with gratifying earthly pleasures & denying none. It sounds to me like Lavey was more concerned with acceptance of all regardless of differences, in a very good-natured manner........and if he believed God is dead, then he couldn't have truly been a satanist could he?

Quote:
Dark practices creep me
Awe............*packs away Dark Rituals for Beginners set* So, what shall we do with the virgin?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #846
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Ye know, many people would go 'Yeah Millane, 'tis you'............. but I'm not one of them, yer quite right 'bout his freaky exes
hey it was a funny scene, 2 deadshit amatuers all nervoues creeping through the dark streets to burn a chicks house down, then bolting coz they saw a police car going past
Quote:
I didn't say you questioned their intelligence, merely that you seem more willing to accept his writings over their's. Hehe God = Dead, LaVey = Dead, therefore, by sheer mathematical deduction LaVey = God! (soz, it just looked funny, the way you put it, but that might just be me).
he claims no diety exists, the bible does (thats put simply there are many things wrong with Christianity). very good Baby-K your logic is outstanding
Quote:
But then, is it really Satanism? Because if you think of it Satanism is inverted Christianity, thus Satanism cannot exist without the belief that there is a God, with Satan as the Lord directly opposite. Also Satanism has a lot to do with gratifying earthly pleasures & denying none. It sounds to me like Lavey was more concerned with acceptance of all regardless of differences, in a very good-natured manner........and if he believed God is dead, then he couldn't have truly been a satanist could he?
it is not traditional Satanism, the name was chosen for a reason, the publics fear of a word. An idea that LaVey uses is that fear=power. use your mathematical deduction here and you will get that thrugh using the word satanism LaVey would gain power you yourself proved this when you associated Satanism with "dark practices"...
Quote:
Awe............*packs away Dark Rituals for Beginners set* So, what shall we do with the virgin?
ill hold you entirely to blame for my dreams tonight wench you'll be able to put the virgin to some use i daresay
Old 07-14-2003, 11:04 AM   #847
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
hey it was a funny scene, 2 deadshit amatuers all nervoues creeping through the dark streets to burn a chicks house down, then bolting coz they saw a police car going past
Yeah, but that just proved that he's pretty normal (by my standards anyway - who hasn't done summin of the sorts?)

Quote:
he claims no diety exists, the bible does (thats put simply there are many things wrong with Christianity). very good Baby-K your logic is outstanding
So basically he's agnostic of sorts, claiming to be a satanist to sell more books? That is then building a following based on a lie, which in turn is exactly the same as what he claims the Bible does! (ah, circular logic - me fave )

Quote:
it is not traditional Satanism, the name was chosen for a reason, the publics fear of a word. An idea that LaVey uses is that fear=power. use your mathematical deduction here and you will get that thrugh using the word satanism LaVey would gain power you yourself proved this when you associated Satanism with "dark practices"...
It was associated with 'dark practices' because of the fact that satanism (true satanism) isn't very 'light', just like all the so-called 'black magic' out there etc. See, LaVey very much reminds me of the Herretic Order of the Golden Dawn, the founders also did similarly stupid things, like building a following based on an absolute lie - they fabricated a German sect & claimed they were the British order of it, meantime the sect in Germany didn't even exist - in his case, yes Satanism does exist, but according to his own writings no diety exists, therefore he cannot believe in Satan / cannot call it the Satanic Bible. He makes himself a liar in the end and thus not a very credible source of information. Seems to me he wanted to make a quick buck by playing up the shock value of a word.

Quote:
ill hold you entirely to blame for my dreams tonight wench you'll be able to put the virgin to some use i daresay
Oh, don't worry, I do have plans for him.............and don't fret Millane, I won't be giving ye bad dreams
Old 07-14-2003, 11:30 AM   #848
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Yeah, but that just proved that he's pretty normal (by my standards anyway - who hasn't done summin of the sorts?)
ohh by your standards anythings normal
Quote:
So basically he's agnostic of sorts, claiming to be a satanist to sell more books? That is then building a following based on a lie, which in turn is exactly the same as what he claims the Bible does! (ah, circular logic - me fave )
to a certain extent he believes in a Satanic way of living, he doesnt believe in a diety, and how can you say that is not Satanism when belief in that diety may well be just acknowledging the ideas of it?
Quote:
It was associated with 'dark practices' because of the fact that satanism (true satanism) isn't very 'light', just like all the so-called 'black magic' out there etc.
but would you see it as "dark" if you had not been influenced by the social conditioning that LaVey was toying with?
Quote:
See, LaVey very much reminds me of the Herretic Order of the Golden Dawn, the founders also did similarly stupid things, like building a following based on an absolute lie - they fabricated a German sect & claimed they were the British order of it, meantime the sect in Germany didn't even exist - in his case, yes Satanism does exist, but according to his own writings no diety exists, therefore he cannot believe in Satan / cannot call it the Satanic Bible. He makes himself a liar in the end and thus not a very credible source of information.
he has not lied though... he believes in some of the so called ways of Satan, and how can you say that that is not believing in Satan himself, for all you or anyone knows Satan is just ideas... are you saying that Anton LaVey is stupid Baby-K
Quote:
Seems to me he wanted to make a quick buck by playing up the shock value of a word.
it may have been so, i didnt know the bloke. The name linked the left hand path with the social conditioning (negative, even indoctrination) of people caused by Christianity...
Quote:
Oh, don't worry, I do have plans for him.............and don't fret Millane, I won't be giving ye bad dreams
now i cant get all these pictures of "dark practices" out of my head i doubt ill be having dreams tonight, might just have to stay up till morning to sleep
Old 07-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #849
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I'm reading the second book in Discworld. Pratchett. (It's so funny! )
Old 07-17-2003, 05:44 PM   #850
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I'm reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:46 PM   #851
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

What's that about?

Jesus scares the "hell" out of people! He rocks!

http://linwe.proboards19.com/index.cgi
Old 07-18-2003, 12:57 PM   #852
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Ivan Denisovich is a Nobel-winning novel about life in a Soviet gulag. It is especially remarkable because it was one of those novels that spread, if I remember correctly, by way of being smuggled out of the country. The Soviet government did not tolerate that sort of dissident literature.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 07-18-2003, 11:46 PM   #853
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

I see.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:57 AM   #854
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I'm in the middle of three books at the moment (I can't seem to be able to read just one book at a time--probably a holdover from my recent days as a student):

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick - One of the best novels from one of the best writers of the twentieth century
No Logo by Naomi Klein
The Hobbit by you-know-who
Old 07-19-2003, 09:55 PM   #855
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Case for Christ by Lee Stroebel. It's an interesting book by a skeptic who took an in-depth look at the evidence for Christianity.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:52 AM   #856
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm now reading Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 07-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #857
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I'm reading 'The river of dancing gods' by Jack L. Chalker.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #858
Annabelle
Sapling

Right now I am re-reading a short story by Edith Wharton called "Xingu". I am also reading a book called "Raising Vegetarian Children".
Old 07-22-2003, 07:11 AM   #859
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Midsummer Night's Dream. Again. Dear gods, I never thought I could get sick of that play, and now I just want it to go away. Probably because it's 4am and I still have to write a paper on it...blech...

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #860
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

I am reading "Elizebeth I, Queen of England" for a school project.

Closed Thread