Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:29 AM   #841
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Falagar, Hectorberlioz and I all support each other, but I think we all agree that our supporters will have to choose only one of us.

Was it 75 posts that defines a qualified voter?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 02-18-2004, 09:38 AM   #842
Ruinel
Banned

Or perhaps your supporters will vote for Jonathan!

Jonathan for President!Ruinel for Vice President!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #843
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
no
hehe... i had a feeling you might not like that suggestion
Old 02-18-2004, 10:25 AM   #844
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Was it 75 posts that defines a qualified voter?
I say be qualify a voter after when he/she registrered, or we could have a combination of both - e.g. anyone who has been a member say since 2003 and has 100 posts may vote.

I was thinking of Percy Weasly who got like 90 posts in only 2 days and never returned. It would be a shame if someone did something similar right before the elections - posted 75 posts in a day or two, voted for a president and then left Entmoot for good.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:34 AM   #845
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i would think voting should be open to anyone and done via the post-your-vote method... that way recent mooters can have a say and obvious trolls/spammers (which we don't seem to get much of anyway) will be clear

i personally read here for quite a few months back 2001/2002 but posted very little, since i'm not the type to post unless i have something worthwhile to say... well, something i think is worthwhile
Old 02-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #846
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Here is the Finrod for Pres Avatar!

FF President

However, Twista doesn't like it, so he'll be making a new better one, please feel free to use this one until the new one is finished!

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 02-18-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:53 PM   #847
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
I say be qualify a voter after when he/she registrered, or we could have a combination of both - e.g. anyone who has been a member say since 2003 and has 100 posts may vote.

I was thinking of Percy Weasly who got like 90 posts in only 2 days and never returned. It would be a shame if someone did something similar right before the elections - posted 75 posts in a day or two, voted for a president and then left Entmoot for good.
I was thinking this very thing, actually. We wouldn't want someone to spam the board just to increase his/her post count in order to vote.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:55 PM   #848
Ruinel
Banned

Jonathan for President! Ruinel for VP!

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
hehe... i had a feeling you might not like that suggestion
Old 02-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #849
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Um... not that I'd do something this way, but maybe being from Chicago, spotting ways to circumvent fair voting becomes second-nature ( )... if we make the requirements TOO easy, some inscrutable person could create false personas to all vote for them, thereby 'stuffing the ballot box' so to speak. Maybe it makes sense to only allow those who have been members for a certain amount of time (start of this thread?). I believe some posters already have 'multiple identities'... do we just put them on the 'honor system' - or whatever?
Old 02-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #850
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

that's why i'm a fan of the a post your vote thread as opposed to a real poll
Old 02-18-2004, 03:11 PM   #851
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
The post your vote idea sounds good.

Is there going to be a time limit? Say, you have to post within the month of April.

I'll volenteer to count votes also if you need someone.

I think debates should start right away. Make it a top priority thread and get people to pass the news along in all their RPG's and things.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Old 02-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #852
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

thanks for your suggestions.... the members of the electoral commitee will decide on the rules.

we have thought of most of the things suggested. the rules will also be similar to those of the first one

a qualified voter will be someone who has been registered for probably about a month prior to the election and has a certain number of posts with the majority not being spam. something like that. we will decide on it and announce this soon.

Jonathon - if only users from 2003 and back can vote, then what about all those users that joined jan onward? Those members should be able to vote in an election that will be held at the end of march!

This topic isn't really meant for users to submit suggestions though. The staff (electoral college) is discussing that in our secret forum. I believe this topic was set up to discuss maybe having another presidential election and then to pick the candidates.

Thanks to Twista for the good idea though - we will most likely have everyone pm their vote to an account that we set up. That seems to be the best method.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 02-18-2004, 07:38 PM   #853
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Jonathon - if only users from 2003 and back can vote, then what about all those users that joined jan onward? Those members should be able to vote in an election that will be held at the end of march!
Oh that was just an example, of course people who signed up this year should be able to vote if the elections are held as late as the end of March.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #854
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
The staff (electoral college) is discussing that in our secret forum.
I guess SGH isn't on the committee since she's running. If you find yourselves short, you may want to recruit other neutral Mooters. Maybe you guys have that covered already.
Quote:
Thanks to Twista for the good idea though - we will most likely have everyone pm their vote to an account that we set up. That seems to be the best method.
That is a good idea - no double voting.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 02-18-2004, 11:52 PM   #855
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I believe some posters already have 'multiple identities'... do we just put them on the 'honor system' - or whatever?
No. Never trust SheBoP, or you'll lose your pants.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:15 AM   #856
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

electoral college... secret forum... do i hear hanging chad?

maybe we should elect a entmoot supreme court first
Old 02-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #857
Ruinel
Banned

Something smells like a set up to me.

Any way that 'account' can be made public?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:04 PM   #858
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Hey you guys! Trust HOBBIT!

Come on, are you so distrusting of your loyal administrators. I have had limited contact with such administrators, but I would never stoop to not trusting them.

I think it's a wonderful idea. I know you guys like to haggle, but let's let HOBBIT deal with this.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Old 02-19-2004, 10:25 PM   #859
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Made public like have regular users be able to access it? No way We will tell you the name of it thought once it is made.

You just have to trust the electoral college to count all the votes.

electoral college = group of admins and mods working on election, making rules, counting votes. SGH is not on this, but she does have access to the mod forum so she can see our discussions.

secret forum - there has always been one since the start of entmoot. It is called the moderator forum. In there, the admins have parties and make fun of the users

At the ezboard, members could see that there was a moderator forum, but they couldn't gain access to it. On this vbulletin, the moderator forum is hidden from regular users.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:29 PM   #860
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

If there is no set schedule yet for the real campaigning and debates, I think it should all start before March. That way there's plenty of time to get points across, make decisions, vote, and tally all of the votes for the end of the month.

Quote:
Made public like have regular users be able to access it? No way We will tell you the name of it thought once it is made.

You just have to trust the electoral college to count all the votes.

electoral college = group of admins and mods working on election, making rules, counting votes. SGH is not on this, but she does have access to the mod forum so she can see our discussions.

secret forum - there has always been one since the start of entmoot. It is called the moderator forum. In there, the admins have parties and make fun of the users

At the ezboard, members could see that there was a moderator forum, but they couldn't gain access to it. On this vbulletin, the moderator forum is hidden from regular users.
It's a teachers' lounge. Are you required to post there? It sounds boring. (I'm not meaning even to sound like a silly little inquisitive student. Although I did just stumble across 101 Ways to Annoy an admen in the Archive)