Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #841
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I haven't printed out the discussion pages, though, so there is information there which I probably ought to read as well. But I don't suppose that will be vital to whether I want to join or not.
The discussion pages don't hold much that you would need to know for joining. The only thing that may be of immediate use is the list of characters. I'll repost that shortly, I've decided to cut a few long-time non-responsive characters anyway.

The most important thing is to get an idea how we play this game, and reading the game-thread should give you a good idea of that already. If there is anything else unclear, all you have to do is ask here, but I'm not going to let you go over more than 1500 posts of discussion when that's not necessary.

One other thing that you may need to take into account is that this game has run for nearly a year by now and we're a little over half-way in the plot. You can drop out anytime you want or be absent for longer periods if your Real Life demands it (give us some warning in that case and we'll keep your character running until your return) but if you want to see this game finished, it'll take a while.

Active players:
- Acalewia: Aelfwine (rohirrim/human)
- Aikanáro: Tabril (elf)
- Coffeehouse: Quickleaf (elf)
- Curufin: Abasi (elf)
- Eärniel: Radagast (wizard)
- Feawen: Nami (elf)
- Ingwe: Ingwionis (elf)
- Amael: A'mael (elf)
- Mari: Ellysa (haradrim/human)
- Me9996: Ferrin (human)
- Midge: Aerin (elf)
Midge: Magor (rohirrim/human) (orginally Azrael's character but he decided against joining)
- Orithil: Hedrim Valdaes (human)
- Sane: Carnehillion (human)
- Sasquatch: Borin (dwarf)
- Willow Oran: Haldis (beorning/human)

Non-Active characters, public characters until the original player returns
- Blossomshade (ent-wife, originally played by Yaygollum)
- Branwyn (Gondorean scholar, originally played by Tessar)
- Truor (male beorning, originally played by Yaygollum)
- Earthshaker (ent, originally played by Nuelbar)
- Nixie (elf, orginally played by Nixie)

I'm putting Nixie among the non-active players since she hasn't posted since her introduction in Dol Guldur and I suspect she had pretty much forgotten about this game. If she returns, so much the better, but until then we'll just keep her character active, just as the others. None of the non-active characters have posted in a long time so I've kept the most useful characters and cut the rest loose.

Quote:
And I know now why my Elf couldn't join straight away - when the letter from Gandalf and Radagast reached her, she was just about to leave Rivendell to accompany her cousin who was leaving for the Grey Havens. She had to see her off first before she could turn to other missions.
Has she gone with her cousin to the Grey Havens? That'll be quite a lenghty trip there and back. She may have a hard time tracking and catching up with the others before long, although I gather a single Elf moves a lot faster than a large group with supply mules.

Another thing you can do is, since it's known we'll undoubtedly go into the East at one point, is join up with the raft-elves that ship wine from Dorwinion to Thranduil's hall, and try to head us off. We'll likely meet up with the raft-elves anyway since we'll follow the river for a while. It's as good a guess as any.

So it's up to you which road you choose.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #842
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I'm posting this from the coach - I think I like you lot !
It's been slower reading than I expected - just now Tabril is warning them against going into Dol Guldur.

But I've met all those that you mentioned as active members, and yes please, I'll accept your invitation and join you. Meet Barufiniel - the Sindarin version of my Quenya name Varnafinde. She's my Elven alter ego and is very similar to me. I'm playing her father, Rameldir, in Son of the Evening Star.

Seeking out the raft-elves is a good idea. She may even have sent Radagast a message telling him what she's doing, seeing that she knows that she will be very late.

Actually, her cousin's father was a raft-elf rafting goods between Thranduil's halls and Laketown, so he may have been involved in the wine trade as well.
Untill he fell during the Battle of Dale a few years back.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #843
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

It'd be something if we went into the east, found the Entwives having gotten in no real big hazards, then found the Blue Wizards Alatar and Pallando just sitting there smoking pipe weed and one of them says to us, "bout bloody time you blokes showed up here, so how bout we all go to the nearest inn and celebrate!"

We'd probably interrogate them as Radagast is the leader of the group.

Radagast: "What is the extent of your involvement in the Saruman fiasco?"

Pallando: "While we did walk with Saruman, our involvement with whatever it is you speak of is minimal at best."

Radagast: "Who does number two work for?"

Alatar: "Huh?"

Radagast: "Nevermind, heard that somewhere. Now what of these secret cults in Rhun? Know anything about those?"

Alatar: "Oh that was just my partner's drunken rambles that started those up. We meant no harm by it, but those Rhun folk, they'll believe whatever you tell them."
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #844
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Non-Active characters, public characters until the original player returns
- Blossomshade (ent-wife, originally played by Yaygollum)
Actually, Earn, I've been keeping up with Blossomshade as well.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #845
Earniel

Quote:
Seeking out the raft-elves is a good idea. She may even have sent Radagast a message telling him what she's doing, seeing that she knows that she will be very late.
Sounds good. Feel free to post something for Barufiniel with the raft-elves if you have time to post. Welcome to the game!

Quote:
It'd be something if we went into the east, found the Entwives having gotten in no real big hazards, then found the Blue Wizards Alatar and Pallando just sitting there smoking pipe weed and one of them says to us, "bout bloody time you blokes showed up here, so how bout we all go to the nearest inn and celebrate!"
Haha, what an idea! But I fear finding the Ent-wives will require just a little bit more effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Actually, Earn, I've been keeping up with Blossomshade as well.
Ah, yes, I should rather have said 'non-active players' instead, seeing that Haldis also made use of Truor and I have moved Earthshaker and Branwyn at times.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #846
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

LoL hopefully it will require more than just mosying over to where we're going to find the Entwives. Like battle, or tripping over a tree root, or a bar brawl. Maybe we'll have to fight the blue wizards, I imagine that they're really not going to be all that friendly.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #847
Earniel

Or maybe we'll just find a note in the Iron Hills and no one else: "Got here first. You snooze, you lose. Pallando and Alatar." Although I reckon the Iron Hills may be a little too much to the North for the two blues' taste. But who knows (well, obviously I know but you all will have to find out). There is also still the matter of the guardian the orcs left to guard the ent-wives. She's still a mystery...
Old 09-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #848
Varnafindë

I'll start working on a post where Barufiniel introduces herself and her errand to the chief raft-elf or someone in that lind of position.
That should introduce her to the reader and to the other writers as well.
Or would you like some kind of small bio in here, too?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #849
Midge
Faithful Gardener

In the first discussion thread, most RPGers posted a bio including name, gender, race, appearance, background, weapons, any other important stuff, maybe age, also... Just scroll through the first couple of pages of the first discussion thread (link in the first post of this thread) to see examples of bios!

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #850
Varnafindë

Right, I can make one of those - most likely copy it from somewhere else where I'm playing her. Then her vital facts are available with those of the others.
And I suppose her first post can be posted at any time - and then I'll have to wait until you reach the raft-elves.
Unless I find something more to tell about her time of waiting, of course.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #851
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Kjempegøy at du er med! Gleder meg til å se hvordan du RPG'er Vi har jo alle vår stil, enda jeg tror at jeg ikke er helt tro mot vanlig RPG'ing, dette er første gang jeg deltar på en og jeg foretrekker forteller-rolle Litt ukonvensjonelt kanskje..
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #852
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

hello again people i'm
back i get the feeling i missed something great in the bar fight poor me im off to read it i hope you did nami proud coffeehouse!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #853
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Well I didn't write so much for neither of us really.. We still seem to be having a slow start and my im an ounce uninspired at the moment
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #854
Mari
Elf Lady

Fey, welcome back! ^_^

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #855
Midge
Faithful Gardener

It's odd, really, I feel I could just sit down and write, write, write! But either people would get cranky for me using their characters too freely (important for a good plot, you know!), or they'd get tired of hearing all about Aerin, Magor, and Blossomshade. So I wait for the uninspired.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #856
Varnafindë

Quote:
Right, I can make one of those - most likely copy it from somewhere else where I'm playing her.
Here's that copy:

Character name: Barufiniel (Quenya version: Varnafindë, both meaning Brown-haired Maiden)
Race: Elf (half Noldo and half Sinda)
Physical description: Brown hair (hence her name), brown eyes, not very tall (for an elf). Dazzlingly beautiful (as compared with a hobbit. But then all elves are dazzlingly beautiful compared with most hobbits. As an elf she is nothing out of the ordinary). Slender.
History: Born in Narnia and grew up there. Left Narnia forever at the age of about 500, in TA 2758, and went to Rivendell, where she has lived since then. She's a scholar and a singer.
Skills: Some ability as an archer.
Belongings: A bow and arrow (it was her father's, and is possibly a bit big for her. But when he went to Valinor, he didn't expect to need it, so he gave it to her).

Old 09-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #857
Earniel

Thanks Varnafindë. But did I see that right, she's from Narnia? The big-lion-attached-sort of Narnia?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #858
Varnafindë

In TA2758 Rameldir and his wife had been living in Rohan for about a hundred years. Then with the war approaching, they fled, meaning to go back to Rivemdell. On their way through Rohan they stumbled through a portal and ended up in Narnia, about five hundred years after the reign of the Pevensie children.
In Narnia, their daughter Barufiniel was born.
After about five hundred years there was some unrest in Narnia, and they fled again, hoping to find the portal and go back to Middle-earth.
Instead they met Aslan. He said that it was time for Baru's parents to leave for Aman (and sent them there without any need of a ship), and time for Baru to get to know her own world.
So he sent her back through the portal her parents had come through five hundred years earlier - and she came back to the very same minute they had left from.

So she is born in a different world, but prefers not to talk much about it. It's very difficult to explain to people she meets.
And I try to play down the cross-over element.

Last edited by Varnafindë : 09-23-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #859
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Wow... that is one we've not thought up yet! You are very detailed about that, too.. I'm impressed.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #860
Varnafindë

I've been playing Baru/Varna and her family in several RPGs for four years now. I've still got the log of the chat where Aikanaro and I discussed her ancestry, and decided / "discovered" that Rameldir's mother was an hitherto unknown daughter of Angrod.
I've had plenty of time to develop the details

Last edited by Varnafindë : 09-23-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Closed Thread