Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #841
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I just love when Yahoo sticks my notifications for the Moot into the spam folder

How is everyone?

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #842
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Heh, I went to a food shop in Dallas where they had big laquered urns of very expensive teas. My favorite was "Iron Goddess of Mercy" and it cost like 50 bucks a pound. I wouldn't dare drink it.

Susie
There's a tea shop right next to work. They've got a massive loose tea collection and sell them in these very cute tins. I almost wish I liked more teas but all the fruit and flower teas I've tried leave me mostly meh and not enough of my friends are tea-drinkers to bother to stock up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I just love when Yahoo sticks my notifications for the Moot into the spam folder

How is everyone?
I've had that too. Don't you just love it when mail-engines start shoving mail in the spam folder they previously let through without a hitch?

Busy right now getting the dirt from under my nails. Once you've got them dirty a few days in a row it appears to be nearly impossibly to get them clean. At least, what nails I have left.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #843
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I've had that too. Don't you just love it when mail-engines start shoving mail in the spam folder they previously let through without a hitch?
It's crappy. Now I have to check my spam folder now >.<

Quote:
Busy right now getting the dirt from under my nails. Once you've got them dirty a few days in a row it appears to be nearly impossibly to get them clean. At least, what nails I have left.
Gardening?

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #844
Earniel

Among other things. But if it wasn't soil, there was enough dirt and dust to go around, sometimes even the same age as me.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #845
Mari
Elf Lady

I just came back from survival camp with a group of school kids. It was fun! However, everything aches now... I'm getting old

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #846
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*sips tea and goes about dusting* Carpentry is so much fun; don't know why I stopped, but I'm glad to be doing it again.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #847
Mari
Elf Lady

I made a wooden pencil case at school with other teachers. It was fun, but I really thought I'd have been better at it since I'm very precise in general.

In other news: I've got a cold and I expect I'll lose my voice somewhere this week.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #848
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I just came back from survival camp with a group of school kids. It was fun! However, everything aches now... I'm getting old
Isn't that the point of survival camp? That at the end everything hurts just to show you you survived?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
*sips tea and goes about dusting* Carpentry is so much fun; don't know why I stopped, but I'm glad to be doing it again.
Making stuff with your hands is always very satisfying. I never tried carpentry myself. Get a lot of splinters that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
In other news: I've got a cold and I expect I'll lose my voice somewhere this week.
Always fun in your line of work. I'll break out the hot tea.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #849
Mari
Elf Lady

Hahaha, so far the salt water sniffing is keeping the losing the voice part at bay.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #850
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

I love watching Attalus making drawings or paintings. He gets so intense, and so happy when he is done. I am trying it myself but it's hard.

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 09-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #851
Mari
Elf Lady

I am at the stick men stage, so needless to say drawing is a bit frustrating to me. It never looks at all like what I want it to look like.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #852
Acalewia

I quit drawing a long time ago....

My drawings look like fifth graders drew them, no matter how many references I use, they still look "novice" as someone put it

Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #853
Mari
Elf Lady

I was clearing out old files on my computer and came across old saved Entmoot messages. That was nostalgic reading!

Old 09-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #854
Earniel

Art is hard!

I tried for over ten years to get good at it, practising a lot. I never got further than 'okay'. I then wrote one short story out of the blue and people loved it and asked me if I was going to publish it. Go figure. So I kinda shifted to writing. Not that that goes easily without practise but I just seem to have juuust a little more talent in that field.

I still like drawing but I have given up any ideas to ever be awesome at it. I like my own art well enough and frankly that's okay.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #855
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Making stuff with your hands is always very satisfying. I never tried carpentry myself. Get a lot of splinters that way?
Actually, no, not very many splinters at all. More like accidentally stabbing/grinding or hammering the fingers and hands than getting splinters in them.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #856
Acalewia

Quote:
Art is hard!

I tried for over ten years to get good at it, practising a lot. I never got further than 'okay'. I then wrote one short story out of the blue and people loved it and asked me if I was going to publish it. Go figure. So I kinda shifted to writing. Not that that goes easily without practise but I just seem to have juuust a little more talent in that field.

I still like drawing but I have given up any ideas to ever be awesome at it. I like my own art well enough and frankly that's okay.
When I was active on deviantART, there was a group that featured art about warrior women I was a member of. But when I tried to submit art, the mod send me a message saying that they only included professional and digital artwork, not novice and hand drawn pieces. I was literally told to resubmit it when I got better at drawing.

I stopped sharing my artwork not too long afterwards. I'm a lot better writer than I am artist

Old 09-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #857
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Happy "Hobbit Day" everybody!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #858
Mari
Elf Lady

Good afternoon everyone!

Old 09-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #859
Earniel

Rain again and a new allergy?! Oh come on, life, nobody thinks this is funny. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
When I was active on deviantART, there was a group that featured art about warrior women I was a member of. But when I tried to submit art, the mod send me a message saying that they only included professional and digital artwork, not novice and hand drawn pieces. I was literally told to resubmit it when I got better at drawing.

I stopped sharing my artwork not too long afterwards. I'm a lot better writer than I am artist
Seriously? Now that's just needlessly cruel and I'm getting angry on the younger you's behalf. Art elitism never did any art any good. I'm not surprised that turned you off drawing and sharing.

I never went on DA myself, always preferred Elfwood since it (at least back when I joined) felt it was far more accepting of amateurs. Although I seldom go there now. The community feels gone. I joined a writers' forum instead.

I did get turned down once on artwork I submitted to a tiny e-zine. It wasn't good enough, but they actually gave me constructive criticism so while I was disappointed for a while it worked more as a motivation to improve than a deterrent. It still makes me smile because one of the comments said something about the feet of the figure being off, but for once I actually had used a photo of my own feet as reference (because I do suck at drawing hands and feet and I knew it even then). I guess my feet may be a bit off then.

At least in writing no one sees if your feet are funny.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #860
Acalewia

Quote:
Rain again and a new allergy?! Oh come on, life, nobody thinks this is funny. Really.
That sucks.

Quote:
Seriously? Now that's just needlessly cruel and I'm getting angry on the younger you's behalf. Art elitism never did any art any good. I'm not surprised that turned you off drawing and sharing.
I think the last thing I posted on there artwise was a drawing a friend on there asked me to do for her of Zevran from Dragon Age. She loved it, but I stopped posting there afterwards.

Quote:
I never went on DA myself, always preferred Elfwood since it (at least back when I joined) felt it was far more accepting of amateurs. Although I seldom go there now. The community feels gone. I joined a writers' forum instead.

I did get turned down once on artwork I submitted to a tiny e-zine. It wasn't good enough, but they actually gave me constructive criticism so while I was disappointed for a while it worked more as a motivation to improve than a deterrent. It still makes me smile because one of the comments said something about the feet of the figure being off, but for once I actually had used a photo of my own feet as reference (because I do suck at drawing hands and feet and I knew it even then). I guess my feet may be a bit off then.
If they had done that, I wouldn't have stopped. I still draw sometimes but I don't share on DA anymore.

Quote:
At least in writing no one sees if your feet are funny.
lol true.

Closed Thread