Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #841
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I really think we need to let Shah have at least SOME of her trees and stuff, Gordis. Please don't get too crazy with the nitpik nazi regime right now; it's all I can do lately as it is to convince the woman to stay. I mean, the terrain beef is one thing, but the arrows and bows?

Now, Shah- Gordie DOES have a point in case about the muddifying of the area, and whatnot - I mean, as she points out in all those posts she's made prior to the battle, it's already been set down as a precedent, so we kinda have to follow precedent, when it comes to the mud and stuff like that, right? Gordie made the mud on purpose, as a part of the pirate battle scene. But I still don't see that there would need to be hardly any adjustments made in your writing as it stands. Maybe the abundance of trees? Maybe cut down on the trees, I don't know.

Udu - fantastically creepy, although I'd like to reach through this story and grab Udu AND Khamul's faces and smash them together with all my might, repeatedly, 'til their noses slid off their faces and their eyeballs popped from the impact of each other's skull to skull. MEAN< WICKED< MEANIES!!!! Buz will never forget this, in the future; he will always hold these two a grudge, of some sort. One day, when they aren't looking, oooooo...

Serenoli - absolutely WONderful posts! Man, you can WRITE, you have that "thing," and you know how I can tell? It's the little gems we get here and there, like Jas' description of the way the Chancellor made him feel, forever trapped in ice yet unable to die, and his winter-voice; those examples stand out the most - I just read your entries like an hour ago, so I'd have to go back & re-read them to find more stuff to praise on! Because for real, your entries are the bomb, Serenoli, and give a great balance and spark around here. I'm so happy that you are one of us, one of the "Of Wraiths" team!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #842
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I really think we need to let Shah have at least SOME of her trees and stuff, Gordis. Please don't get too crazy with the nitpik nazi regime right now; it's all I can do lately as it is to convince the woman to stay. I mean, the terrain beef is one thing, but the arrows and bows?
In my last post addressed to Shah I have said OK to the trees (in reasonable amount), to the possible shelter of rocks etc and to the steel bows.

And I have NOT asked her to change anything in her last post.

There are only few things I hold dear, as they affect the whole carefully laid plans of the ML - the rain, the low, flooded muddy terrain and no causeway on the North bank of the river.
There should be no galloping back home!
And that is a warning for the future, nothing else.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #843
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
And as for the attack, it is NOT one-sided either. The other side is played by Udu - he has the right to express his opinion as well.
There were too many inconsistancies between the ships that I described and what Shah described that I could not recognize the basic scenario anymore. There is no wheel house, because the ships are steered by one man controlling a tiller. I think she must have been describing someone else's fleet. There must be more of them out there than first were thought, and some of them must be BIG to fit Shah's description.

"“Lift oars!” the captain shouted and the men raised them into the air. “Dip oars! Stroke!” The pilot at the steering board located on the right side of the ship swung the vessel to the right. “Hope for a favorable wind or we will have to bend our backs to the oars all the way up river!” one of the rowers said to his mate beside him."

The first site tells about longships and the other sites have pictures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longship
http://www.havhingsten.dk/typo3temp/pics/9ae7356499.jpg
http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHI...Ship-MA780.htm
Old 02-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #844
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Just posted again, just let me know if you want any edits Udu.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 02-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #845
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:

There are only few things I hold dear, as they affect the whole carefully laid plans of the ML - the rain, the low, flooded muddy terrain and no causeway on the North bank of the river.
There should be no galloping back home!
And that is a warning for the future, nothing else.
Well, I agree. Shah, she made this mud and stuff on purpose, to prevent things like galloping. I just want to say, though, that I really enjoy a LOT Shah's battle scenes, I always do, I always look forward to them, they are the bomb. There's a "flavour" to the battle scenes that Shah writes that others cannot capture, it's unique, and very important to this RPG. So Shah, please continue; please don't get any ideas about giving up again or anything! Everything's cool, right? *very worried; wrings hands.*

Old 02-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #846
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Yes, Udu, I imagined your pirate ships to be exactly thus. And Shah, it did throw me off a tad when that bit about the guy being hit in his wheelhouse, because since I'd alrady had the mental image of the boats with oars like that, like those Viking longships, it then came as a surprise to see a wheelhouse there. I think maybe this was a different boat? Maybe all the pirate ships weren't uniform in desin, maybe they were a bit of this and a bit of that? That could work, couldn't it, Udu? They're YOUR ships, so - what do you think; can you have a few be different from the others or do you prefer to keep them as you have originally written, all the same kind?

Old 02-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #847
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

TD - *claps hands in glee, all smiles* - I think it's WONderful! Oh YES, what now, you big ol' meanies!! ha HA! The contraption is falling apart, oh isn't this AWEsome!!! Great stuff TD, plus I like the dialogue a lot; I was right in that little bit of scene. The contraption fallin apart has gotten me ALL smiles! NICE!!

Old 02-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #848
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Ahh, you fiends! Roasting poor Lil!

And what about Tol? He was going to watch them so they don't go too far!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #849
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Yes, Udu, I imagined your pirate ships to be exactly thus. And Shah, it did throw me off a tad when that bit about the guy being hit in his wheelhouse, because since I'd alrady had the mental image of the boats with oars like that, like those Viking longships, it then came as a surprise to see a wheelhouse there. I think maybe this was a different boat? Maybe all the pirate ships weren't uniform in desin, maybe they were a bit of this and a bit of that? That could work, couldn't it, Udu? They're YOUR ships, so - what do you think; can you have a few be different from the others or do you prefer to keep them as you have originally written, all the same kind?
Lotesse, this would take a lot of going back over old posts and editing. I just don't have the time to get into anything this complicated.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #850
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Ahh, you fiends! Roasting poor Lil!

And what about Tol? He was going to watch them so they don't go too far!
He is too drunk to watch anything. He is upstairs surrounded by empty wine bottles, the sot.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #851
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Also even on BIG ships the steering wheel is called "modern invention". I remember reading pirate stories set in 1600 where there were but "rudders".

But why not just substitute "hitting the wheelhouse" by "killing the man at the steering plank?" Not a major edit.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #852
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
He is too drunk to watch anything. He is upstairs surrounded by empty wine bottles, the sot.
No, I hope he is still conscious. Eh, Serenoli?!

Poor poor Lily! I hope Tol will remember her kisses!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #853
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Serenoli, I loved your winter/ice thing - really "cool"! (seriously, a very good word image - evoked strong feelings)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #854
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

@@@@

Old 02-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #855
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

As for the goddamn trees, I SAID A THICKET! NOT a blooming forest! And yes, dont worry, I like logical thinking and the way this raid and counter attack have been set up, they will all die. Tharbad will have no warning other than what Mahta got from BlackWing. Of the patrol they will hear no more once I finish up that scene.

Good grief.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #856
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

It seems that Jas' description of the ML's voice was very popular. I liked it, too, to me it seems to describe the ML's character more than his voice... thank you ALL who've been praising my writing, esp. Lotesse, thats some strong stuff you wrote about me! Thanks guys, I'm all in a glow now!

TD, I have posted Tol doing what Buz would like to be doing. And a word to the wise for everyone, never trust your drink to do what you want it to: poor Tol trying to drink himself evil, has drunk himself ultra-good! And, now Telcontar, its upto you if you want a fight with Tol.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 02-20-2006, 03:04 AM   #857
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
TD, I have posted Tol doing what Buz would like to be doing. And a word to the wise for everyone, never trust your drink to do what you want it to: poor Tol trying to drink himself evil, has drunk himself ultra-good! And, now Telcontar, its upto you if you want a fight with Tol.
Serenoli, very good post. Remember, though, for the sake of his own private revenge against Lilly, Udukhaturz is now allied with Khamul, so it will be one against two in a fight.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 AM   #858
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Sorry, I have to disagree. The layout of the terrain is of PRINCIPAL importance.
If you say so. I am not going to argue over a few bushes. Ultimately my character(s) won't be involved in the fight or attack anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
What can I say, he just loves his books!
They're not even his, that's the whole problem!

Last edited by Earniel : 02-20-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #859
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Nice post Serenoli. I will try and post later.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 02-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #860
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

AIIIEEEE!!! EEK
What are you doing to my Lilly, you evil fiends!!!

TOLVADOK! All my hope lies with you!

ALL, wondrous posts, esp. LMM and Serenoli.

LSP As for the goddamn trees, if I read correctly, no one has anything against a thicket here and there! No need to get so upset. As for the mud and the rain, Gor and Udu are simply worried about their own cherished plotlines.
Closed Thread