Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:14 AM   #821
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
JD, it means both cod and a person who goes to prostitutes or something. Svensken var inte glad.
All the more reason to use it when talking to Jonathan. As long as it's an insult - I'm sure it would come in handy.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #822
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

K, thanks a lot for those links. Swahili interjections are fun! Kweli!

*Continues to click*

This is the link to a great Catalan site. It's a fantastic site, but I have no time to study Catalan now. Maybe someone else may be interested.

Oh, by the way, Happy Moot Anniversary Lalaith! Och du också, Jon, snart.

Last edited by Linaewen : 01-16-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #823
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Jaså? Darn. Well, what would insult you, then?
How do you say 'You ...[idiot etc]' in Norsk? I mean, the Swedish equivalent of something like 'Din dumbom!'. Can you tell me some norsk interjections? Takk!

I wouldn't be offended if someone called me a cod. I'd be confused. (And then smack them on the head).

JD, it means both cod and a person who goes to prostitutes or something. Svensken var inte glad.
Isn't "Svenne" the usual invective used by immigrants instead of "Swede".
Old 01-16-2004, 12:00 PM   #824
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Bearing in mind that Americans often use terms like Canuck or Kiwi without being derogatory, it's strange that you think others use the term Yankee to express disdain.
Unfortunately, 'Yankee' in worldwide usage is all too often followed by 'Go Home'! That might be why SOME would take offense.

Ruinel, on the other hand, is from Texas - which is in the south. In our Civil War, "Yankee" referred to the northerners. They still haven't forgiven us... PLUS, "Texans" are a whole 'nuther kind of folk!

Personally, I don't mind 'Yankee' so much... just so you SMILE when you say that! (Owen Wister: The Virginian) Of course, I CAN'T STAND the NY Yankees baseball team!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #825
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
...Ruinel, on the other hand, is from Texas - which is in the south. In our Civil War, "Yankee" referred to the northerners. They still haven't forgiven us... PLUS, "Texans" are a whole 'nuther kind of folk!...
My people didn't live here during the Civil War, so it's just that it refers to someone from the North, not that I personally haven't forgiven the North for anything done to the South during or after the Civil War. I think it envokes a negative image, "Yankee" and I do take offense to someone calling me that. I don't even really like someone calling me a "Southerner" either, since that also invokes some negativity. If you want to call me an American, that's fine... or Texan, that's also fine.

BTW... what is "torsk" and "nisse"? NÃ*s in Quenya is woman, and nissi is Quenya for women.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:20 PM   #826
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
My people didn't live here during the Civil War, so it's just that it refers to someone from the North, not that I personally haven't forgiven the North for anything done to the South during or after the Civil War. I think it envokes a negative image, "Yankee" and I do take offense to someone calling me that. I don't even really like someone calling me a "Southerner" either, since that also invokes some negativity. If you want to call me an American, that's fine... or Texan, that's also fine.

BTW... what is "torsk" and "nisse"? NÃ*s in Quenya is woman, and nissi is Quenya for women.
torsk-cod (may mean idiot in Swedish for all I know )
nisse-small elf (from Norwegian folklore, they were small bearded people who took care of peoples' animals and barns if one treated them nice and gave them porridge each Christmas)
Old 01-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #827
Baby-K
Corruptor

I think one of the main reasons 'Yankee' is used by foreigners as a term to describe Americans is because of the vast amount of products available worldwide, carrying the American flag while bearing the name 'Yankee'.....Yankee burgers, yankee fish, yankee this, yankee that. It's not an attempt to be derogoratary towards Americans, merely a result of extensive marketing of the name worldwide...obviously when coupled with the image of the Star Spangled Banner it creates a mental image that the two concepts would necessarily tie in with each other, after all if a product made by Americans and promoted by Americans then surely it would be acceptable to call them by that name (I'm not saying it's allright to do so, just that that's the idea being created). I think it also goes along with all the movies we've seen where the Yankees baseball team is hailed as the best ever etc.... in a way baseball = yankees, but baseball = America, thus America = Yankees.

Lin, dis 'n plesier (die aansluitings), ek hoop jy sal dit van nut vind. Ek het ook 'n ander een gevind wat jou mooi sal help met die vraag wat jy gevra het oor die Afrikaanse uitroepe, maar ke het ongelukkig vergeet om die webtuiste se adres the hou, so ek sal eers weer moet gaan soek.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #828
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
I think one of the main reasons 'Yankee' is used by foreigners as a term to describe Americans is because of the vast amount of products available worldwide, carrying the American flag while bearing the name 'Yankee'.....Yankee burgers, yankee fish, yankee this, yankee that. It's not an attempt to be derogoratary towards Americans, merely a result of extensive marketing of the name worldwide...obviously when coupled with the image of the Star Spangled Banner it creates a mental image that the two concepts would necessarily tie in with each other, after all if a product made by Americans and promoted by Americans then surely it would be acceptable to call them by that name (I'm not saying it's allright to do so, just that that's the idea being created). I think it also goes along with all the movies we've seen where the Yankees baseball team is hailed as the best ever etc.... in a way baseball = yankees, but baseball = America, thus America = Yankees.
That's funny. I haven't seen any products on the shelf in the markets that are named "yankee" anything. Maybe it's something exported from here specifically for foreigners. I'm not sure.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #829
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Jaså? Darn. Well, what would insult you, then?
Det vil jeg ikke fortelle deg. (I won't tell you).
Quote:
How do you say 'You ...[idiot etc]' in Norsk?
Din idiot!
Alternatives for 'idiot' are: treskalle - suppehue - suppegjøk - dumming - tulling - gjøk - hønsehjerne - sau - tomsing - gullfiskhjerne etc.
Pick whatever you like.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #830
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Jaså? Tell me all about it, if you will.
You know, it might come in handy with my career as an interpreter/linguist. Not only because I love grammar.

[Edit] Only for Jonathan's eyes, eh? But I saw it too. I'm quite offended.
Man, you gys are writing so fast I can hardly keep track.

Do you really want to know about that sad chapter?
Let me see if I get all the spanish tenses.

Presente
Preterito Perfecto
Indefinido
Imperfecto
Pluscuamperfecto
Futuro
Futuro II
Condicional
Subjuntivo
Perfecto de Subjuntivo
Imperfecto de Subjuntivo
Gerundio
Voz Pasiva (is that really a tense?)
Near Future
Participle Past (don't know the spanish name)

Yah, that's the list of tenses I should be able to form. Hahaha. Do you want me to explain them all? And even translate them?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:44 PM   #831
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I don't like it because I've heard it generally used deragatorily by Europeans for a while now. Sort of like other slang terms. During World War II it was used as a term of endearment - now it seems to be used as something that is said under their breath as a putdown.
So I better probably shouldn't use it on the Entmoot, okay then. A bit of a pity, really, I sort of liked the sound of the word, just as canuck and aussie. But it's best to avoid any unintended offence.

Quote:
nisse-small elf (from Norwegian folklore, they were small bearded people who took care of peoples' animals and barns if one treated them nice and gave them porridge each Christmas)
So it does exist? I saw it once in a comic strip, but I didn't know it existed for real. Does Norway has many of this sort of folklore?
Old 01-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #832
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

It's my first anniversary on Entmoot. Yay. I am searching for a way to celebrate it.
As for now:

Anniversary!
English

Aniversario!
Spanish

Aniversário!
Portuguese

Ã…rsdag!
Norwegian

Ã…rsdag!
Swedish

Verjaardag!
Dutch

Évforduló!
Hungarian

годовщина
Russian

Anniversaire!
French

Anniversario!
Italian
Old 01-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #833
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
torsk-cod (may mean idiot in Swedish for all I know )
'Torsk' means literally 'John', you know Johns who go to prostitutes and such
Yeah, nisse is the same things as tomtenisse - or tomte. I had a Swedish poem about a 'tomte' a couple of pages ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Yah, that's the list of tenses I should be able to form. Hahaha.
Oh yeah, I remember all those tenses. But most of them have French equivalences which I already knew when I started studying Spanish. A great advantage

JD, if you call me a 'torsk' I will bash NJ like never before - you ignorant Yankee

Happy Anniversary, Lalaith. Tomorrow it's my 1st anniversary
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 01-16-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:40 PM   #834
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
'Torsk' means literally 'John', you know Johns who go to prostitutes and such
Yeah, nisse is the same things as tomtenisse - or tomte. I had a Swedish poem about a 'tomte' a couple of pages ago.

Oh yeah, I remember all those tenses. But most of them have French equivalences which I already knew when I started studying Spanish. A great advantage

JD, if you call me a 'torsk' I will bash NJ like never before - you ignorant Yankee

Happy Anniversary, Lalaith. Tomorrow it's my 1st anniversary
So, let me get this straight... your name is Jonathan... John for short, in English... and torsk means 'John'... so can't we call you torsk as a term of endearment?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:59 PM   #835
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
That's funny. I haven't seen any products on the shelf in the markets that are named "yankee" anything. Maybe it's something exported from here specifically for foreigners. I'm not sure.
Could be, I wouldn't know really, 'twas just a thought.

Lai, in Afrikaans your Anniversary would be your 'herdenking'.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #836
jerseydevil

Quote:
I agree - I've never really seen yankee on things. We do have Yankee Candle - but I don't think of America when I hear that - I think of colonial New England.

Yankee is a complicated word and I understand what Baby-K is saying. But as Valandil said - too often it is used in the phrase "Yankee go home" or as a term of dislike and inferiority.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-16-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:30 PM   #837
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
So I better probably shouldn't use it on the Entmoot, okay then. A bit of a pity, really, I sort of liked the sound of the word, just as canuck and aussie. But it's best to avoid any unintended offence.
Well I think you would not use it as an offense. Jonathan on the other hand....

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #838
jerseydevil

Quote:
Now - I think Ruinel made very good points - torsk means john - you are John. What's the big deal?

And you better not bash New Jersey you damn arrogant euro-whiner.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #839
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Is it this one?

Min jul ska vara kul
min jul får inte vara ful
Som påsken den är gul,
ska min jul vara kul
Snön den ska vara vit,
och är den gul har någon pinkat på den
-kanske en hund

Exactly that one. Isn't it beautiful?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 01-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #840
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Tomorrow it's my 1st anniversary
And that tomorrow is my today, so happy anniversary! Hur ska du fira?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Closed Thread