Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-23-2003, 08:13 AM   #821
Baby-K
Corruptor

And some of us confused individuals believe in a hybrid theory of both......or maybe that's just me

Hey - IR, love the idea of Entmoot trading cards Wonder what I should put on mine
Old 05-23-2003, 08:24 AM   #822
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Maybe "Only Suitable for those 18 years of age or older".

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:37 AM   #823
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Maybe "Only Suitable for those 18 years of age or older".
So my trading cards should come with a parental advisory note? Not fair, then half the mooters can't get them........ooh wait that might be a good thing - if they can't have it they want them more & there will be fewer of them, so they will be rare & hard to come by thus the value would increase

Sorry RĂ*an, I'm buggering off out of yer thread (I will retun when I have serious qustions to ask or thoughts to share)
Old 05-23-2003, 09:13 AM   #824
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by balin
[B]Do you really believe in the Theory of Evolution? There are so may flaws in that theory that its preposterous. Where did the original matter come from? Was it just there? Or put there by the great and mighty Charles Darwin?/B]
First, Charles Darwin is a product of evolution and therefore could not possibly have 'put (the) matter there', as you have queried.

Second, evolution is the 'change over time' of something. This has already been proven through a barrage of evidence available at any library or even on-line.

Third, there is also evidence that supports the Big Bang Theory, where the universe erupted from a pointlike singularity approximately 20 billion years ago. There are 4 fundamental forces in nature: the Strong Force; Electromagnetic Force; the Weak Force; and Gravitational Force. For one small brief moment (within the first second of The Big Bang) in time, there was no distinction between these forces because of the extreme temperatures and concentration of energy present. For about 7 million years or so, the universe did not exist as we know it. You think of the universe as this mainly vast nothingness with a star here and a planet or an asteroid there. It was not like that. It was predominantly in the form of radiation and not necessarily matter as you think it to be, but matter present was in the form of ions and lose electrons. Only after 7 million years or so did the universe actually cool down to around 3000 Kelvin (that's 3273.15 degrees Celsius and still pretty friggin' hot). When the universe cooled down, voila... energy is not as much radiation as beginning to form into matter (as you know it). Protons could hook up with electrons forming hydrogen atoms. (Hydrogen atoms btw, are the basis for fusion reactions. Fusion reactions are the fuel for roughly 90% of the stars in the universe, including our sun.) No more free electrons = no more photons being scattered throughout the universe; energy from the universe is in the form of matter; atoms begin to form; molecules form; gas clouds form; stars (see hydrogen info above) form; galaxies pulled together (see 4 forces in nature above).

I will restrain myself from going further into too many details because it would bore the crap out of 99.8% of the people here.

Furthermore, this is not a slight against your religion. You may believe that your god is the creator of the universe, if you so desire.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 09:15 AM   #825
Ruinel
Banned

Forgot, I wanted to tell Hobbit that I liked his sig... particularly this part:
Quote:
"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox
I know, I know: I'm off topic. *sigh*
Old 05-23-2003, 09:33 AM   #826
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
You may believe that your god is the creator of the universe, if you so desire.
Oh gee, that's awfully big of you.

Could we please take the creation/evolution discussion to the thread I posted a link to twice now?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #827
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Oh gee, that's awfully big of you.
Yes... it is isn't it.

BTW, I was answering questions brought up here. I've said all I want to say on that subject. My intentions are not to bore the 'Mooters to death, although the actual creation of the universe is far more interesting than what is written in the bible. And unfortunately, there is a message length limit for each post. (I'm too lazy to post in several contiguous posts as others do.)
....errrr.... I mean ... ACK!
Old 05-23-2003, 11:36 AM   #828
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Well I wouldn't laugh at you Balin..............but you'd be amazed how much satisfaction people get from living their life without God or Christ being involved, billions of us do

Well Balin...it's an honour to meet you and I applaud and quite agree with you.
And yes Coney, many people may live their lives quite happily without God. And Christians don't have it easy in any sense of the word, but it's what will happen after life that matters.

Someone once said. "The Christian life isn't easy. But one thing it is, is interesting. You want a boring life don't come to Christ. You want an interesting life come to Christ."

Not to say that non-Christians are boring.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 05-23-2003 at 11:51 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:48 AM   #829
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

Would you sy that money makes you happy? Well, I did a study that proved the bilionares, who have all the thing on earth, still hate their lives. They have the money, they got a wife because they thought that was the one last thing, and the still feel alone in this world. They don't relize that they NEED Chrits in their hearts. Hate you noticed that it is harder to say "I need you" than it is to say "I love you"? Well, if you have a tuff time saying to Him "Lord, I NEED You" then you should ask yourself, do I KNOW God, or do I just know His name? Tell me, who are you willing to die for? I WILL die for Christ!

Jesus scares the "hell" out of people! He rocks!

http://linwe.proboards19.com/index.cgi
Silme*Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:50 AM   #830
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

YES!!!!!!!

You're the kind of radical for Christ that this world needs man! You rock!
Old 05-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #831
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

Me?

Old 05-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #832
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Someone who can come here and say boldly "I will die for Christ!"
(yes you) has got guts. I quite agree with you as well. And I want the world to know.

I WILL DIE FOR CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2003, 11:56 AM   #833
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

Thank you very much. Yes, I am so proud to say it, I wish I could shout it to the would:

I will die for Chrits!!

Old 05-23-2003, 12:05 PM   #834
balin
Sapling

I would just like to say that it is really good to talk to others who love Christ as much as I do. I, too, would die for the living Christ!

As for the evolution thing, I am a scientist myself and I do see the evidence. I don't, however, believe that it all happened randomly, but that God began it and aids it along the way. (Sorry, I promise this will be my last post on evolution vs. Creation)
balin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 12:25 PM   #835
balin
Sapling

Ruinel, just because a story is more entertaining, by no means makes it true. The Bible's Creation story may not have changed in many years, but it dosn't have to. It was written right the first time.

Finrod Felagund and Silme*christian, It is a honor to meet you both. I hope that we can talk comfortably sometime.
balin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 01:35 PM   #836
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Silme*Christian
Thank you very much. Yes, I am so proud to say it, I wish I could shout it to the would:

I will die for Chrits!!
I'd die for Chrits too !!!!

But I wouldn't die for no christ

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:19 PM   #837
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

I wouldn't die for the anti-Christ.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #838
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by balin
Ruinel, just because a story is more entertaining, by no means makes it true. The Bible's Creation story may not have changed in many years, but it dosn't have to. It was written right the first time.
*sigh* Oh, brother.
That is not what I said. I said that it is a more interesting story than the bible. More interesting because of the evidence that supports it. I did not describe any of that evidence as entertaining. That evidence is gathered from various sources including particle physics. From the interactions of quarks with each other, from the interaction of leptons, from the formation of various hadrons, observations of collisons of particles and what is left behind, what is changed, or not present any longer. That, to me, is very interesting.

I never used the word entertaining, you did. If you find the bible entertaining, then fine, use those words to describe it. But I did not use that word.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #839
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

Do you NOT find the Bible entertaining?

Old 05-23-2003, 02:40 PM   #840
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Aw thanks Ruinel

Long but worthwhile post (come on , spend 5-10 minutes reading it for christ's sake )

I find it a little amusing that now someone who says that he believes in god is afraid that he will be laughed at - but in the past if you didnt believe in god you would be killed (or at least ostracized from everyone else).

Increasingly, more people are losing their faith (by my observations). At my school, there are barely any really religious people.

I have made many posts on the subject of religion, and I really don't feel like repeating myself, but I will repeat some things.......... firstly, i am a teen and i believe basically whatever I want to believe. Organized religion was created basically to explain the world and control people, and to stop fear of death. It has no place in society today.

I see no reason to believe in the Christian god over all other religions - its not better or worse than any others (plus, being raised a jew, the idea of christ in addition to god and that holy spirit or whatever makes it make even less sense). Religion just does not make any sense. If you think about it, almost nothing will make sense. The bible cannot be taken literally.

From what I've learned in school and from Christian friends, it just does not make any sense at all. It requires blind faith. Why should you believe in it? Because you were raised that way and your parents drilled it into you? You have no proof of any of it, and there is none. If all the proof is a "good feeling" or whatever, then that is just silly.

Billions of people exist happily without christ. And many millions (if not billions, dont know the number) exist without god or the christian/jewish/islam god. There is no emptiness in me without believing in something silly.

I also am not a very devout Jew.... I haven't been to services in about a year. I really hate going. I am usually forced to go 1 or twice a year for high holy days. It holds no interest for me. I find it long and BORING. I'd much rather be home reading, watching tv, or computing. Right after my bar-mitzvah i quit hebrew school and quit going to temple, as did about 98% of my class. Its just all too silly! I do still go to cedars and celebrate passover and hanukah, but just to celebrate my ancestry and pay respect to them I guess.

Historically, I do believe that there is some fact in the torah (old testament). I am decended from the ancient hebrews and they really did exist. They were really enslaved in egypt, etc. And that has been proven. I just don't buy all the god stuff. As for Jesus, I believe that it is possible for him to have existed, but was not God's son and was just an overhyped ordinary god with all that amazing stuff made up by his friends to sell a new religion. I have no read the new testament, but I will someday, if not just to understand allusions to it in literary works.

I'd rather believe in the MATRIX or ALIENS than christianity or judiasm.

Where will I go after I die? Who knows. Maybe I'll cease to exist, maybe i'll be beamed aboard a space ship, maybe i'll be reborn, maybe i'll go to heaven. I'd like to believe that it all does not end after I die. As for hell - hey I DON"T BELIEVE IN IT :P There is no hell in judiasm.

Basically, I am a very open minded person. I believe in whatever seems rational to me. Science is not my alternative to religion, just theories like evolution make sense. I'm not really sure of what i believe - i sort of want to believe in ghosts and other supernatural things. As Star Polish has suggested, I have in the past talked out loud about things, but I still do not really believe in the christian or jewish god persay - havent really done that in a while though.

If there is a God, and he is really all that forgiving, then he will just forgive us and let us all into heaven regardless. I would think that he would like people who THINK and who QUESTION and not just follow blindly like SHEEP. If not, then why the heck would I want to spend enternity with such a messed up being? I'd rather spend it with some fun aliens :P

And really, like how many REALLY devout christians are there that go to church every sunday, are extremely charitable, and have commited NO SINS as described in the bible (or at least not confessed them all - not really sure - if you confess something, is that wiped off your slate?). What, will there be 100 people let into heaven? Hey, maybe there are more than I think. And what, are all non-christians screwed? Some good forgiving god, huh? People haven't said it recently, but several christians have said to everyone that all non-christians will be going to hell. How sweet.

Just my thoughts.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote