Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #821
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

When your history teacher makes fun of her brother for being a "LotR nerd" an you cheer proudly in the middle of the classroom.

When you're solemnly stuck by a thought: "Sailing to Valinor..." and know you'll be spending all night contemplating how that could play out in an alternate ME reality.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:05 PM   #822
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

You know you're obsessed... and so does everyone else... when you show up at the store the day the EE comes out with a bunch of one dollar bills and coins that you gathered together to buy the DVD. Then you walk home admiring the dvd, and fighting with your sister over it (unless of course, she doesn't try to take it ).

No, this hasn't happened yet, but it will in a little over half an hour... that's a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Anyone else here ready to do that and then sail to Valinor with me and Pytt?

Want to come?

Sure!!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 12-14-2004, 05:34 PM   #823
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Anyone else here ready to do that and then sail to Valinor with me and Pytt?
Yeah!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 12-15-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #824
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuiliel
You know you're obsessed... and so does everyone else... when you show up at the store the day the EE comes out with a bunch of one dollar bills and coins that you gathered together to buy the DVD. Then you walk home admiring the dvd, and fighting with your sister over it (unless of course, she doesn't try to take it ).

No, this hasn't happened yet, but it will in a little over half an hour... that's a given.
Hehe... the money part wasn't that bad, but we did brouse four stores for the cheapest price before finally buying it. And my sis and I fought over it practically the whole way home. We actually managed to watch the whole thing last night too, but only because our dad let us eat dinner in front of the tv.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 12-15-2004, 05:12 PM   #825
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

When you plan to visit the barrow downs on your next vacation. ( I would love to...although they seem creepy)

When you think that "readig Tolkien" is a legitimate excuse for not going to class, or staying up so late you sleep through it...(haven't got there yet, but only becuase I left my books at home.)

When your friends ban you and another friend from speaking at the dinner table because all you talk about is Tolkien and ME....(yes this happened to El and I)

When you wonder how the person wlking by you aqquired their lovely gold ring, and you contemplate what it would be like if you had gotten yours by biting someone's finger off.. (I was actually discussing it with El, late one evening)...although the one you wear is actually a family heirloom...

My DA page
Old 12-15-2004, 10:27 PM   #826
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

When you contemplate buying 7 male Siamese Fighting Fish and naming them after the Sons of Feanor. You haven't decided yet whether you're going to fight them to the death...

Just kidding on that last one, I wouldn't kill my fish. But a nice red male betta named Maedhros seems too tempting to pass up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
When your friends ban you and another friend from speaking at the dinner table because all you talk about is Tolkien and ME....(yes this happened to El and I)
I said the name "Finrod" once too often. Embladyne started screaming "I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!" across the table. That's mostly why Tolkien-discussion has been banned.

Okay... the search for Valinor has been extended to me, Pytt, ethuiliel, and TD. Anyone else want to join in?

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #827
Telcontar_Dunedain

When you call the Moon, Isil and the Sun, Anar.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 12-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #828
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuiliel

No, this hasn't happened yet, but it will in a little over half an hour... that's a given
I did that. Only it was 2 twenties. My sister and I fought over it on the way home and we also watched it that night.

Quote:
When you contemplate buying 7 male Siamese Fighting Fish and naming them after the Sons of Feanor. You haven't decided yet whether you're going to fight them to the death..
I have a Betta named Sam. i.e. Samwise

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Old 12-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #829
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

When you approach an automatic door, say "mellon" and it opens before you step on the sensor.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 12-16-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:09 PM   #830
inked
Elf Lord

LOL!

you guys are really addicts!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #831
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
I have a Betta named Sam. i.e. Samwise
A betta named Sam is less frightening than a betta named Maedhros. I'm really looking forward to this now... I used to keep bettas. I wonder if it would be worse to name them in Quenya or Sindarin. I'll get several female ones and call them Irisse, Itarille, and Artanis, methinks.

This is actually pretty good, seeing as how I don't like recycling my fish's names. This could work for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
LOL!

you guys are really addicts!
The sad thing is everything I've said so far is in perfect honesty. By this time next year, I'm going to be scaring people... I'm already saying Hantanyel instead of "thank you". As if I didn't say it in enough random languages as it is.

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #832
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Ways to tell if you are obsessed...

1. When you get some Tolkien item, you refuse to put it down, because you're afraid something will happen to it.
2. When you listen to the LOTR soundtrack during school and can tell what scene it's on.

I had thought of more, but I forgot them now...

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Old 12-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #833
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider You think?

Gilty on these...

1. You sneak up on famaly and say "MY PRESHIS!!!!" and run.
2. You find yourself dressed like aragorn and conster puting on a belt and plastic sword to complete the joke.
3. You tipe out a lot of these "Gilty on this" posts.
4. You play with your sisters toy cats, have one forge an elven ring, have another steal it and have it say "my preshis".
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:07 PM   #834
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Your learning Quenya instead of studying for the test you have in an hour...

Well... not the Quenya part (at the moment), but I should be studying, do have a test in an hour and a half, and look where I am...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #835
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

You try to write fanstas.y and find yourself constantly having to rewrite due to obvious Tolkien-copying. Not purposely, mind you- he just seeps into everything you do.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:20 PM   #836
Telcontar_Dunedain

Gulilty as charged!

Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #837
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Lol. Hey, you write fantasy, too?

Old 12-22-2004, 01:25 PM   #838
Telcontar_Dunedain

Not really, but anything I write in school is very obviously Tolkien based!

Old 12-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #839
Ephel Duath
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
You try to write fanstas.y and find yourself constantly having to rewrite due to obvious Tolkien-copying. Not purposely, mind you- he just seeps into everything you do.
That happens to me way too often.

You find yourself rambling on about LOTR for over fifteen minutes only to realize nobody has a clue what you are talking about.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #840
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephel Duath
You find yourself rambling on about LOTR for over fifteen minutes only to realize nobody has a clue what you are talking about.
Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. I've done it so many times that, now, they just roll their eyes and quit the room, leaving me ranting to the air.

Closed Thread