Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #821
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

It's so different for woman, though. If you're a guy, and there's a picture of you on myspace with your tongue in a guy's ear, you'd better be prepared to have people think you're gay. If you're a woman, though... half (or more) of the gals doing that are only trying to look hot to MEN.

Sexual activity doesn't define you. And people make choices all the time about sex that have nothing to do with "desire," and even less than that to do with love. They have sex to create closeness. They have it as a gift. They have it as sweaty exercise. People engage in behavior that society defines as sexual without sorting out their motivations at all. Then they sober up, or take a shower, and spend some fruitless hours, or days, or years, trying to select a label that explains sexually what isn't really sexual at all.

I don't think the labels are really helpful, after a point. Anne Frank isn't remembered as a "great lesbian heroine" because her story edited some fantasies that might have gotten her typed there, but more importantly, because the central themes of her narrative aren't really related to her sex life. When we talk about "gay" or "straight" in someone's life (even our own) we've already decided to prioritize something as a characteristic that may be no more essentially about who we are than 'knobby-kneed' . I'm really convinced that that winds up to be a negative thing.

The only polite and appropriate question about sexual preference (IMO) is "Does yours include me?" If the answer is "no", what difference does it matter whether that's because you don't, on the whole, fancy my gender, or because you like people who are shorter?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 AM   #822
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
You don't choose your sexual identity, it is something you're born with.
My point is that you don't choose your environment and upbringing either, so the distinction is unnecessary. Whether it is genetic, environmental, or a mix of both, there is no "choice" in the matter.

A gay person couldn't all the sudden decide to be straight anymore than Inked could suddenly decide to become a raging liberal.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #823
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
... anymore than Inked could suddenly decide to become a ... raging liberal.

Quite untrue, thou wart-nippled -rpg avoiding skunk niggard thou! ...

he is halfway there already ... whether t'is nobler to choose the 'raging' rather than the 'liberal' ... i leave up to discussion ...

p.s. BJ - lost any leaves??? (...check ya pockets!)

Best BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #824
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Hence, horrible villain, or I'll spurn thine eyes like balls before me! I'll unhair thy head! Thou shalt be whipp'd with wire, and stew'd'in brine, smarting in lingering pickle!

And your little dog too!!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #825
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I need to get my eyes checked - I thought I read "lingerie pickle". o.O
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #826
inked
Elf Lord

O, the smarmy science continues! See what happens when Al Gore gets a Peace Prize (Nobel) for propaganda.

MORE LIKE...when (AL) becomes a raging (scientist).

Seriously, I could become a raging liberal if I chose to do so. It would simply require abandonment of morals, standards, and empirical science properly exercised.

There is no conservative gene or liberal gene.

There might be, however, "pickled lingerie". I have seen edible undies in various shops (or shoppes, if you prefer, there being no gene for spelling). But as the redneck Larry the Cable Guy observed, "They don't make 'em in biscuit and gravy!"
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #827
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Ah, life is all about the humanizing detail.

Nice to see you can find the good, shop(pe)s, inked.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #828
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Seriously, I could become a raging liberal if I chose to do so.
Impossible! Though you might be able to fake one for a while.

We can't change our base points of view any more than we can change the color of our skin.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #829
inked
Elf Lord

Well, BJ, you are degenerating more and more into a rank materialist and further into a mere determinist. You obviously do not believe what you say or you would not be arguing for you point of view. If persons do NOT have the capability of changing their view or behavior because of the sheer deterministic milieu in which they are fated to fall, why argue for your belief system?

I, on the other hand, do believe that such change is indeed possible because of the human will and GRACE. In the first case, participating in reason which clearly underlies the universe, persons can come upon facts and arguments that alter their behavior and even their belief system. In the second case, those whose reason is not merely determined by their milieu can rise above that entrainment and oppose mere determinism by the dynamic of their cooperation with the Reason which made the universe and all that is. Therefore they can change. In the first case we can posit abolitionists. In the second case, Paul of Tarsus, inked, and whole hosts of persons throughout history and the current world.

So, I "see" your materialistic determinism and raise you the human spirit and Spirit in humans. Boromir, my good sir, Boromir. Or Saruman in the opposite.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 AM   #830
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
If persons do NOT have the capability of changing their view or behavior because of the sheer deterministic milieu in which they are fated to fall, why argue for your belief system?
I didn't say that people can't change their view or behavior. I said that, much like genetics, it is something they have little, or maybe even no control over.

Let's say you love the taste of ice cream. You can choose not to eat it, but you can't choose to stop loving the taste of it. And, in fact, you probably would not choose to stop eating it unless some outside influence (i.e. someone commenting on your weight or health) convinced you to.

Quote:
In the first case, participating in reason which clearly underlies the universe, persons can come upon facts and arguments that alter their behavior and even their belief system.
As I said, outside influence precipitating change.

Quote:
In the second case, those whose reason is not merely determined by their milieu can rise above that entrainment and oppose mere determinism by the dynamic of their cooperation with the Reason which made the universe and all that is.
A romantic notion, if little more.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #831
inked
Elf Lord

BJ, you are the ROMANTIC IDEALIST, in love with your demonstrably falsifiable view of the perfection of humanity and man as the sole measure of man, and you have the audacity of accusing anyone else, but particularly me!, of being romantic! Egads, you are worse off than I thought! Perhaps beyond remediation!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #832
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
There might be, however, "pickled lingerie". I have seen edible undies in various shops (or shoppes, if you prefer, there being no gene for spelling). But as the redneck Larry the Cable Guy observed, "They don't make 'em in biscuit and gravy!"
I had to do some quick explaining when my kids found mine ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #833
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I had to do some quick explaining when my kids found mine ...

o.O
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #834
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, this is really quite frightening, ya'll.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2859606.ece

I may not support gay marriage, but no way I think this is the right way to run a country. And these guys want nuclear weapons, too.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #835
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

But I thought there were no gays in Iran...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #836
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
But I thought there were no gays in Iran...
Sounds like he's working on it.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #837
Mari
Elf Lady

Yeah. Some people try real hard to deny the reality of the existence homosexuality etc. and not just in Iran. I think that maybe in Indonesia or those parts they also have those hard rules. People are not even allowed to masturbate, so being gay is probably an even bigger no-no...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #838
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Ah yes. The infamous quote from President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Quote:
PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD: In Iran, we don't have homosexuals like in your country. (Laughter.) We don't have that in our country. (Booing.) In Iran, we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who's told you that we have it. (Laughter.)
This is from a transcript of the President's speech at Columbia University.

Also, there are no rats in Alberta.

Edit: I am not comparing gay people to rats. I am comparing two statements that flatly deny the existance of something that is extremely likely to exist. Just to be clear.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #839
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Somehow I find it a little reassuring that the public laughed at such an ignorant statement.

So if you don't have them in Iran, then why exactly are you hanging these people? Riiiiight. Another idiot in denial.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 AM   #840
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Yeah, its rather sad, the people are fine with it, its just the government is an assbackwards dictatorship...
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote