Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:47 AM   #821
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Nice new avvy, Willow!

OK, I added character bios to the formal info thread for Tyaron and Alagos, those mysterious elven guys ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 AM   #822
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Evil double post.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-24-2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 AM   #823
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Thank you!

All righty now... it's three in the morning here and I can't sleep and the reason I can't sleep is because I've been thinking which means you all get to hear a rant, which you will hopefully find useful.

In light of Sane's assertation that the previous solution I suggested has been tried and has failed I started trying to think of other solutions.

Why?

Because I hate needless conflict. It's number one on the list of 'Things That Maggie Cannot Stand' and it really pisses me off to see people who I generally like and respect wasting their energy in argument that will inevitably result in hurt feelings. That in this case has resulted in hurt feelings.

That said, the topic of this rant is Problem Solving through Creative Usage of Point of View.

No two players are ever going to view a scene or character in precisely the same way. Similarily, no two characters will ever view the same scene or charatcer the same way. This can be used to our advantage, the intrinsic differences in point of view allow to smooth out the bumps that occur when someone describes our personal charatcer as looking or behaving in a way that we don't agree with and they allow us to do so in a way that doesn't trample all over our fellow players.

For example: Since I introduced my character she's been described as dour, gaunt, scary, and 'the lovliest creature [he] had ever seen'

Not only are these descriptions somewhat contradictory, but I didn't write any of them. The only physical description I ever wrote for her was that she was 'unmistakably noldor' and 'just beginning to show signs of age'.

So why do all these different descriptions work? Because they're all from different points of view. The elf that I imagined as being very muscular could very well seem gaunt from a nazgul point of view. And while she may look old to other elves, a middle aged human could easily find her attractive. It works.

Admittedly it gets a little trickier when writing reactions. But that's where specific details come in. If your character has been written as reacting with laughter when you feel rage would have been appropriate, perhaps you could have specified that her expressions of rage and mirth sound similar and are easily mistaken.

Remember, we aren't writing this from third person omniscient viewpoints. We're all of us writing from third persom limited, therefore the only thing we can be certain of is our own character's view point. However, our character's are constantly interacting and are just as liable to misinterpret eachother within the storyline as we are to misunderstand eachother outside of it. The best way to solve those misinterpretations is to explain what was really happening from the misunderstood point of view, just the way we would when interacting while out of character. Except with more of a storytelling flare.

Granted this requires some mental flexibility, but in the end it's worth it as it makes for a richer story in which everyone can participate without feeling squashed.

To end: Remember the first Rule of Improvisation which applies both to the stage and to collaborative writing:

Never say no. The answer is always yes, no matter how much you disagree because when one says no, the story dies.

That's all. I'm going to go back to trying to sleep now.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-24-2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #824
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Dear Lotesse,

I am sorry if my opinion distressed you. Really I am.

Please, observe that everyone agreed that your post was of excellent quality. Nobody (not even CS) has ever asked you to delete it entirely. I agree that CS should have been more diplomatic.

But CS only asked you to end your post at the moment when Viv started laughing, to let the others react to Viv' s angry admonishing words and her laughter in a way, which everyone chooses for his character.
Perhaps some would laugh, perhaps some would continue to fight, perhaps some would attack Viv. That is exactly what makes the game interesting - letting people react in their own way, unpredictable to others.

I understand and I appreciate that you pay your own money, wait for your turn in libraries and take hours from much needed sleep to take part in this game. Your contribution is invaluable, and I know everyone here feels the same. I am sure that you have taken away your post because you got very distressed. Sorry.

I only hope that you still have this post saved somewhere, so you could put it back. Of course, Viv should hurry to Orrodel! Of course she should admonish the others angrily. And of course, if laughter is her natural reaction, she should laugh!

Gordis
Old 10-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #825
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

She doesn't have it saved, I asked.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #826
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Cheese. I got a new name. Just lettin' you all know.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 10-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #827
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Sorry for putting an empty message in the Main. I wanted to post here, but then decided for a PM.

Good luck with the new name, WO-LMM.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #828
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Oh god, more split personalities.... Ms Marion... Stick with Willow!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #829
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Will-OW! Will-OW!! Will-OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

(I like Willow Oran!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #830
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I take it the loss of her original name pains you? Yeah, Willow is the best.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #831
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

You know, the irony here is that I've had these two names far longer than I've had the name Willow. Sorry guys, I've been wanting to make the name change for a while now and couldn't do it before because I didn't have a second e-mail to use, Willow was getting too childish for my liking.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 10-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #832
Rían

yeah, I always liked her user name *sniff*

Now she comes down with BoP/Sheeana disease!

It's not too late, Willow! Come back! Come back! To Mordor - er, Willow we will take you!

Old 10-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #833
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Congratulations, Willow.

You seem fond of the letter M, Marion-Magdalena-Mahtaliel
Perhaps you care to post for MM's sometimes?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #834
Rían

I don't think Willow is childish; I think it's kinda sexy and beautiful- I think of willow-y elves...

(but it's up to you, of course )

Old 10-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #835
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I suppose I could always post from both accounts. Maybe switch off... wouldn't that be fun!

- The Crucible

Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #836
Rían

Gordis and others who are running the reception - rpg-Rian's about ready to leave, she's had enough for the night. Is there any protocol you want her to observe, besides taking her formal leave of the Chancellor and his daughter and thanking them for the lovely evening? Or is there any reason why she should stick around? I'll have her wait a while if that's the case.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #837
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Good lord, thats...gonna be fun. Well, I dont think that there ought to be a protocol, Marty and Ray kinda left, but I can always work into my post that they said their farewells!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM   #838
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Gordis and others who are running the reception - rpg-Rian's about ready to leave, she's had enough for the night. Is there any protocol you want her to observe, besides taking her formal leave of the Chancellor and his daughter and thanking them for the lovely evening? Or is there any reason why she should stick around? I'll have her wait a while if that's the case.
I don't think anything else is planned, actually Val said it was the last dance. The Reception is closing. Come say goodbye. Soon the hosts will be seeing the King to his carriage.

EDIT: But wait! re-read Val's last post. Rian went into the garden, Earniel stopped her dance with the King and followed you anxiously. Why?

Last edited by Gordis : 10-24-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #839
Rían

*rereads Val's post*

Oh, yeah - hmm, it's unclear if he meant Eärniel was following RÃ*an, or if Eärniel just wanted to go back to the garden (maybe to check out the fountain again?), or if she was following someone else... Eärniel and Val - I'll leave it up to you - I'll have RÃ*an wait in the garden a bit.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #840
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

I have edited my post Number #357. This should give an opening for TD, CS or anyone to make a follow-up.
Closed Thread