Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #821
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
You should hear Neal Boortz...

Elaboratus tu?
Just so you know, elaboratus is a perfect passive participle, meaning roughly "that which has been worked on".

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #822
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Just so you know, elaboratus is a perfect passive participle, meaning roughly "that which has been worked on".
"That which has been worked on...tu[you]"!!!

Not good. I'm implying that Katt may have had surgery!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #823
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

Oooh, snap! Wait, that was at me. Darn.

Surgery is not a bad way to go. Get your tubes tied, vasectomy, no babies!

I heard of a doctor that got sued because he tube tied a bunch of girls when they came in for their third abortion in so many months.
Non-consentual surgery is bad.

Before we get back onto abortion, the worst part about surgery is the needle with the novicane. Hurts like a B*tch!

Anyway, abortions are not that good for you, but neither are babies. I have chosen the chemical solution to all of this. What do you guys think of that?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #824
hectorberlioz

Chemicals are pretty bad for you too, especially the stuff like Norplant, as I have read. I suppose vasectomy is the way to go if you don't want children, but even that isnt 100% guaranteed, as the knot can loosen over time....

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #825
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well then better just fill in that crack with cement and seal that puppy up for good then. Because abstinence isnt 100% effective either in a human population, as the will can loosen over time... or over a glass of wine...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 12-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #826
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well then better just fill in that crack with cement and seal that puppy up for good then. Because abstinence isnt 100% effective either in a human population, as the will can loosen over time... or over a glass of wine...
That's why education is so important

I wasn't saying much except facts about contraceptives, Rex, and that they sometimes have drastic side-effects.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #827
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

It's true. If I have a cigarette while on this stuff, there is somthing like a 90% chance that I will get have an anurism and die.

Of course, the nicotine distilled out of a single cigarette is enough to give a heart attack to anyone.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #828
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Actually, abstinence is practically 100% effective. It's just that people don't practice it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #829
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
...in a human population

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 12-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #830
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

I practice abstiance.
Whenever I can't get any, I abstain.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #831
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatukatt
Anyway, abortions are not that good for you, but neither are babies. I have chosen the chemical solution to all of this. What do you guys think of that?
I think the best way by far is to save sex for marriage, but you need to go with what you think is best for you, according to your beliefs.

For those who think abortion is fine, are you OK, then, with sex-selection abortion? (i.e., if you want one sex and you're carrying the other, you abort) I would assume that if you think a woman has the right to choose abortion, then sex-selection abortion would be fine with you.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #832
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I would assume that if you think a woman has the right to choose abortion, then sex-selection abortion would be fine with you.
That is an assumption you shouldn't make. Nedless to say, pro-choicers can have very different opinions regarding when abortion should be legitimate.

My personal view on this - abortion should primarily be the woman's right to choose. Dissatisfaction with the foetus's sex may be a rather bad reason to have an abortion, but ultimately it's the woman's choice that matters most. Late abortions generally require special conditions to be performed. However, prohibitting women to have early abortions because they have the "wrong" reasons is not the way to go. The woman's choice should be respected (at least legally) no matter how stupid her reasons are.

So am I OK with sex-selection? No.
Does that affect my stance on abortion? No, it doesn't.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 12-10-2006 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #833
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

Quote:
I think the best way by far is to save sex for marriage, but you need to go with what you think is best for you, according to your beliefs.

For those who think abortion is fine, are you OK, then, with sex-selection abortion? (i.e., if you want one sex and you're carrying the other, you abort) I would assume that if you think a woman has the right to choose abortion, then sex-selection abortion would be fine with you.
I would LOVE to get married right now. However, it is not financially feasable right now.

And it is a woman's right to choose, but give me a break. If you are going through all this work in the first place, are you really going to be upset if your baby isn't the correct gender?

If you want a certian gender that much (and are prepared enough to take care of a child) why don't you just adopt?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #834
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
That is an assumption you shouldn't make. Nedless to say, pro-choicers can have very different opinions regarding when abortion should be legitimate.

My personal view on this - abortion should primarily be the woman's right to choose. Dissatisfaction with the foetus's sex may be a rather bad reason to have an abortion, but ultimately it's the woman's choice that matters most. Late abortions generally require special conditions to be performed. However, prohibitting women to have early abortions because the have the "wrong" reasons is not the way to go. The woman's choice should be respected (at least legally) no matter how stupid her reasons are.
W00T!! Excellent answer; couldn't agree more, Jonathan.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #835
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan

My personal view on this - abortion should primarily be the woman's right to choose. Dissatisfaction with the foetus's sex may be a rather bad reason to have an abortion, but ultimately it's the woman's choice that matters most. Late abortions generally require special conditions to be performed. However, prohibitting women to have early abortions because the have the "wrong" reasons is not the way to go. The woman's choice should be respected (at least legally) no matter how stupid her reasons are.
Even white supremisists have the right to teach their children whatever they want.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:51 AM   #836
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatukatt
I would LOVE to get married right now. However, it is not financially feasable right now.

And it is a woman's right to choose, but give me a break. If you are going through all this work in the first place, are you really going to be upset if your baby isn't the correct gender?

If you want a certian gender that much (and are prepared enough to take care of a child) why don't you just adopt?
Well, I live in a culture- Chinese, Taiwan- where it still does matter very much- we do have a girl shortage here, though being a more modern economy it hasn't reached the drastic stages you see in China or India, where there's going to be a shortage of tens of millions of brides in the next generation.

Interestingly,most Westerners who adopt prefer girls- supposedly less trouble- - which matches up with the surplus Third-World babies available.

p.s.- as someone who's been married fifteen years- it's never financially feasible
Old 12-10-2006, 01:56 AM   #837
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Exactly. Damned Jews. [/sarcasm]

I gotta echo pretty much what Jon wrote with regards to sex-selected abortion. I will support a woman's right to make that decision, but personally, I think that's a pretty piss-poor reason to get an abortion. And having had one or two myself, I know that it's not the easiest or most comfortable procedure to undergo, so I don't know why anyone would want to get their insides sucked out simply because they didn't get their sex of choice.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #838
captain carrot
Elven Warrior

Quote:

Unless you are God almighty Ri, do not pre-suppose to judge the thoughts of others ... less thou be making an idolatory of yourself?

is that not sin?

But since you have previously argued animal sex as the equivalent of human ... i'd suggest you re-think either your argument strategy, or your take on pre-supposing what others' either think, or what actually their argument is.

or, failing that- be open to the charges made against you previously, that you are not playing straight games ...

takes ye pick, Ri - but one thing you cannot do, is play all three at once.

Choose your ground and stand on it - fair-play -

attempt to twist logic or agument on fanciful arguments or logic or combinations of 'em ... ..then accept you will flounder on such.

Best, CC
Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #839
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
BB, she said that she would assume so because it logically follows, but she was simultaneously asking this as a question, as shown in the part of her comment that I put in bold. She wasn't prejudging other people.

I, on the other hand, am prejudging other people right now. I'm prejudging you to be my friend BB . Dost mine arrow hit the mark? It's good to see you again!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 12-10-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #840
captain carrot
Elven Warrior

wotcha Lief.

The thing i find dis-ingenuous with Rian's question, is the continous attempt at logic that is to imply by a vague association one ideal with another completely seperate one, with a very skewed and deliberate intention of deflecting a problematical ethic or question.

I guess, in truth my main problem with it, is that it is so crudely done ... it rather insults our collective intelligence.

Closed Thread