Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #821
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Noticing that Ellysa had stopped and was looking at her funny Nami turned to look at the young woman. "What?...Oh you are a silly thing. It is a saying Ellysa! It means i think of you as sister." Nami smiled gently, placing a hand on Ellysa's arm, "Why would that be a bad thing?"
Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #822
Mari
Elf Lady

"It's not necessarily bad. But it's a very big responsibility. Family dies for eachother, upholds the honour of the entire tribe and if one gets judged, they all go into exile. Members of a family are one and the family is absolute. I was abandoned, so clearly something is wrong with me. Relating yourself to me is dangerous, Nami. Do not say things like that unless you are absolutely certain you know and mean what you are saying."
Ellysa smiled at Nami to take the edge off her words.

"Come, I see some of the herbs I was looking for over there. If we hurry, we can still hear some of the things Radagast has to tell while having dinner. I can use some food in my stomach! How about you?"
Ellysa walked over to the spot she just pointed out to Nami and bent down to collect some while humming a strange little melody.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #823
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"What you have is a gift Ellysa and if your tribe abandoned you then they are fools! You are a good person Ellysa. I would say it again, i would be proud to be in your family!"
Nami stepped over to Ellysa side and bent to look at her, "You have a very low self estem. We wilh have to work on that!" Standing back up Nami spoke in a clear voice, "Repeat after me... i am a beautifil, clever, gift young woman and people do like me!"
Old 05-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #824
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa smiled as Nami obviously missed the point but decided to say nothing further on the subject. "Thank you Nami. You are wonderful. And I know you like me. And I like myself too, I guess. Herb gathering?"

Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #825
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It took a while until all introductions were finished. Radagast then turned again to the matter of crossing the Ultai lands.

"Khan Geruth's tribe has gathered their belongings and horses to travel towards the annual celebration camp," Radagast said. "Their night camp is a few hours up-river, on the banks of the Carnen. We will join them tomorrow and travel with them, under the Khan's command. It will take a week, ten days at the most to reach their destination. Khan Geruth may be better suited to explain what we will find here."

Khan Geruth now addressed the adventurers: "Although you will travel with my people, it will be obvious to anyone that you are not of my people. We will not be able to hide you, so you will have to travel openly. Sometimes that is the best guise of all. But remember, the Celebration is an event strictly for the Ultai, foreigners are not allowed unless under strict reasons. You are too many to count as personal guests of mine, but there is another solution. From the time you join my people, until you leave on your own road, you will be a group of entertainers that I have hired to brighten up the Celebration."

"That is not what we agreed on earlier," Radagast interrupted quietly and frowning.

"It is not, my friend," the Khan admitted, "but now that I have seen how diverse your company truly is, I think it is the wisest course. Nothing else will fool the Khagan or the other Khans."

"It will not be more troublesome as you have an interesting and curious group," Khan Geruth went on, with a mischievious smile he could not entirely conceal. "I even intend to pay you in full for your services. But see matters through my eyes: I see among your company two tree-giants, light-eyed immortal folk from the Great Forest, an impressively dressed warrior from the North as well as one of the small Rock Masters, a woman from the Far South, and even people from the southern Horse-realm. My people have little dealings with the realms outside our own, and even fewer have travelled to them. I'm sure some of you will have skills and stories that may delight my people for the few days of the Celebration."

"You take me for a conjuror of cheap tricks?" Radagast asked, looking a little ruffled.

The Khan laughed, "no, my friend, no. I would not dream of calling a wizard of your stature so, but... you can pass for one during the Celebration!"
Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #826
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine tried to hide a smile at the suggestion that they take up the ruse of entertainers.
"That just might be an accuret decription of this group," she said quietly to Carnehillion. She raised her brows at Radagast's question. He reminded her of Gandalf just then. Oh, how she missed the White Wizard.

Of course, their guise would be very entertaining intead. Judging by the previous adventures and misadventures they'd had already.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #827
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

"I have some skill as a singer," Barufiniel offered. "While Bilbo stayed with us in Rivendell, he taught me some funny Hobbit songs - the one with "the cow jumped over the moon" comes to mind - and I could sing some of those. Or I know quite a few sentimental songs as well, if that would be required - and old Elvish ballads, if they would be suitable for the occasion."

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 06-04-2009, 05:41 AM   #828
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa halted when she caught Barufiniel's last words. "Baru, what occasion?"
She looked back at Nami with a look that said 'What did we miss? Hopefully not something fun?', but shrugged and moved to put the herbs into the food.
"There. Now we can finally eat."

Old 06-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #829
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

"Occasion?" Barufiniel repeated. "Why, this Celebration that Khan Geruth is talking about. I don't know what they are celebrating - possibly some seasonal feast - but if it's necessary that we entertain there, entertain we will. And I can entertain as a singer."

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #830
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Rising up with Aelfwine, Carnehillion had gone up to greet the wizard and his companions. He frowned slightly at the thought of being in the midst of what could become a rather large group of hostiles (the misfortune of the bar fight still fresh in his mind) and he had his misgivings.

Apperantly, so did Radagast. Redplate had a half grin on his face and gave a short bark, which for him was equivalent to laughter as he addressed the young woman beside him.

"Interesting indeed. Eru alone could save us if we managed to muck this one up. Huh." He grunted "I suppose I have some skill in juggling blades and agility. Maybe even some slight of hand but not much else I suppose."
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #831
Mari
Elf Lady

"Entertaining...? I see..." Ellysa didn't see, really, but she thought this was a good moment to take a step back into the shadows and hope she wouldn't be noticed. No way she was going to play a fool again!
I thought I'd left that sort of thing behind me when I left my world! *sigh* Here I was, thinking my visions had finally lead me to someplace good.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 AM   #832
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl waited until she was certain that she understood what Khan Geruth had said. At first, she was certain her language skills had failed her, or she had heard him wrong. The reactions of the others, however, told her this was not the case.

In the presence of the foreign in'kasha Tabrîl could not say anything to offend the Ultai as a people...but this Khan Geruth, however...

Tabrîl strode over to him, her hand going to the hilt of her t'rai. 'Tell me that I have heard incorrectly,' she said to him, 'and that you do not presume to treat a warrior of the Kindi as some sort of amusement for the children of your people. I do not tolerate such insults. You may be m'haidati - you may be leader of the warriors of your people, but that does not give you the right to insult me. Not when I have been already offered welcome.' At this she glanced towards Teye, remembering the woman's earlier words to her.

Tabrîl truly did not understand. This man was a warrior, or at least appeared to be. If she made such a suggestion to him, that he might be entertainment for her people, he would certainly take it as an affront to his dignity. It was such a sudden change in tone from the earlier welcome they had received, and it made no sense to her. She looked, if anything, more puzzled than angry.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #833
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Entertainer? well that was new, Nami thought not really sure what she could add to the entertaining, bowmanship being a skill than fun and she was not good enough to do tricks, there was her stories she guessed but she was not sure how another culture would react to the tails of a wayward childhood and killer squirrals. And when it came to singing the most she could manage was a slightly in tune hum. Maybe she would leave to entertaining to the others.
Nami noticed Ellysa stepping away from the group looking worried around the same time that Tabril stepped forward looking less than pleased. Diplomatic relations seemed to be breaking down. The culturally ackward elf seemed to have taken offence and for once Nami didnt quite blame her. Nami stepped forward a little, "Erm...surely our group is big enough and diverse enough than not everyone would have to entertain, surely such entertaining groups would have helpers as well as entertains. Cooks?" Nami looked in Ellysa's direction "or defenders" Nami turned to Tabril. "Is that not right Radagast?"
Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #834
Earniel

The Khan took Tabrîl's outburst calmly. His eyes flickered briefly to his advisor but Teye remained motionless, looking with some interest at Tabrîl. Radagast started to speak, clearly wanting to diffuse the situation, but Khan Geruth put his hand on the wizard's knee and said: "Please allow me, my friend. Since she has addressed me directly, allow me to explain my words so that she may not take offense."

He turned to Tabrîl. "I have not intended any insult, warrior of the Kindi. Nor would I presume to ask of any warrior to do what he or she finds beneath their dignity, unless I, as Khan and war-leader of my tribe, had good reason to ask it. Yet you are numerous enough, as your companion was good enough to point out just now," he said with a nod to Nami, "that I'm certain you will not be called upon to do any other duty than you see fit as warrior."

"But," he went on, looking at the whole group, his voice became a little harder, "you all may do well to remember that secrecy is in order for your quest -as it stands now- to succeed. You have the choice between detouring around the lands of my people and risk getting caught in winter in the Iron Hills, or travel through Ultai land. And you would not be able to travel through these lands without leave, which is but rarely given to strangers. Lady Teye has welcomed you, and we do not take such words lightly, as I assume neither do the Kindi. But as in all welcoming, there are limits to the hospitality we can provide."

"Do not think I suggested this ruse lightly, or delight in keeping my people in the dark about your true goal. I risk certain death much as you in taking you into Ultai land. Only for the worth of the wizard Radagast, to whom I owe much, and for the word of Lady Teye that your quest is honourable, have I agreed to use my position to help you along."
Old 06-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #835
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine was relieved to know she wouldn't be required to entertain. She nodded as the Khan spoke his warning, fully understanding. Her mind drifted off to wondering who would be the entertainer. Barufiniel had already volunteered, but who else would? As for herself, Aelfwine only "talent" was the bow.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #836
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

A flicker of worry crossed Tabrîl's face as Radagast moved to speak. She suspected he was going to rebuke her for speaking out of turn, and being rather less than cautious about it. The Khan's words, however, seemed to satisfy her, and her hand moved away from the knife at her belt.

'I know what you do,' she said, 'to bring us strangers through your land. Do not think that I am unaware.' She looked at him now, though, with a measure of appreciation. She had encountered many leaders over the years, and not all had the regard for their people that Khan Geruth seemed to, let alone this regard for utter strangers. Lady Teye had there a war-leader to be proud of, she thought.

'So long as you ask nothing of me,' Tabrîl continued, 'I will do what I can to see that we are all brought through this safely.' She didn't plan to reveal the ruse to any others of the Ultai they encountered, and that wouldn't be difficult so long as she was not expected to take part in it.

Without waiting for any answer or confirmation, Tabrîl turned and walked away, to some distance from the group, where she sat alone and took up a t'rai to sharpen. Nothing more, she believed, remained to be said. She would continue with the duties she had made her own, as always, and leave the others to their frivolous entertainments. A warrior of the Ultai, she was certain, would do no differently.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #837
Earniel

"We will stay camped here for the night, and we can meet up with Khan Geruth's tribe tomorrow," Radagast explained.

"My tribe is aware of your coming," the Khan went on. "Yet I am certain many will be surprised, or even suspicious, even they finally lay eyes on this... rather unique fellowship. None will harm or threaten you, the same will be expected from you. Most speak Westron well enough, so guard your tongue concerning your destination. If anyone asks, say rather that you intend to journey to the halls of the little Rock Masters. It will arouse less suspicion as you indeed will travel in that direction."

"But for the love of Elbereth," Radagast interrupted, thinking of the colourful retelling he had heard of the bar-fight in the East Bight, "do not start any other drunken brawl! We will not escape so lightely here."
Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #838
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis had opted to check on the supper that Nami and Elyssa had informed her they would be preparing that night, and had only listened as Radagast introduced his companions. When the Khan announced the disguise he thought best for them to assume, she took the news with a mental shrug, and a half smile for the varied reactions of her companions.

Predictable. They were so caught up in the discussion of what they would and would not do that they had completely forgotten their guests were still standing, and yet to either eat or rest after who knows how long a ride. Really, the Khan's plan was for the best, this lot would never have a hope of getting by on diplomacy alone...

"It is a sensible disguise," she said softly, hoping to help quell any more protests before Radagast's friends, their hosts, she supposed, could be truly offended. "Entertainment is a customary repayment for hospitality. So long as we are guests in this land, the guise of performers offers no contradiction. Now, let Radagast and his friends through to the fire. They are surely tired and hungry after riding all day; and perhaps after we have all eaten, if we are not all too tired, there will be an exchange of songs."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #839
Earniel

The Khan and Teye gladly took the invitation for dinner. But their two companions stayed in their own camp. During the dinner, Khan Geruth and his seer talked some more about the Celebration, the Khan did most of the talking with Teye only occassionally making a comment.

The adventurers learned that the Celebration was an annual event that lasted for a week. The Ultai tribes normally travelled far and wide into their territory, and therefore seldom met. But when the time of Celebration arrived, all tribes gathered and pitched their tents together, around the Khagan's tent.

A large market was then held, and entertainers were hired, so the Celebration was one of the few times in peace-time the Ultai met people and matters from outside their borders. Differences were put aside at the Celebration, or to be judged before the Khagan, inter-tribal marriages were concluded, gifts of alliance exchanged, and -naturally- large quantities of food and drink were consumed.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #840
Earniel

The next morning, the adventurers took their leave from the Raft-Elves in good spirits. Sirandion gave them a cask of Dorwinion wine as goodbye gift and Radagast gave him a recipe for a herbal cure against hang-overs in return to thank the Elves for ferrying his company across. Both gifts would come in very handy.

As the rafts sailed away towards the east, the adventurers saddled up once again. The horses were eager to be off, happy to feel grass and earth under their hooves once again, yearning for some exercise.

Khan Geruth and Teye rode ahead, followed by their two guards, then came Radagast and the others. They rode calmly, to get into the rhythm of horse-back travel again. Shortly after noon they reached the camp of Khan Geruth's tribe.

The people evidentally knew of their coming, although many still stood surprised when they caught sight of the whole group. The band drew many a curious look, but none made any effort to make contact with the newcomers. The Ultai obviously regarded them as hired entertainers and so left them to their own devices.

The Ultai children however, were far more enthusiastic and very eager to find out what acts the entertainers would perform on the Celebration. Even though not all could speak Westron well. Many hung around the adventurers, hoping to catch some hidden glimpse of a rehearsal or to gawk at the Ents and Elves. But soon most got disappointed when it became obvious they wouldn't be able to see much before the Celebration.

In this way, the adventurers travelled with the Ultai tribe for several days. On the fourth day, they finally caught sight of the Celebration site, which offered an imposing view. A massive tent-camp sprawled over a long low ridge near the Carnen river. Almost an entire city, made up of canvas and hides. Smoke rose from many camp fires, and the noise of so many people together was startling after the hushed sounds of a long journey.

Khan Geruth's tribe was directed to one end of the camp to set up their tents there, the adventurers followed and settled their own camp at the outer edge. Khan Geruth left to present himself to the Khagan.