Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #821
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Too much information?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #822
katya
Elven Maiden

Too much excitement for this early in the morning
Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #823
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Hey - I'm a guy. ANY time of day is fine. And yeah - I have it in me. But I have to be careful because Earniel will always start reminding me about the Queen and Princlings (see above - oh, and have you seen their pic? It's about 4 1/2 years old though). Sheesh! Can't a feller have a decent mid-life crisis around here?

Besides, I've been composing some 'frisky' posts for a RPG at another site lately, so I must be a little keyed up. Don't worry though... they're married (only just).
I looked at everyone's pictures, the first week I started posting. All the actives and moderators id pages, and some of the homepage links. I'm not really about 'strangers", since my first bulletin board experience.

But you can only blame yourself, if you're seen as a stern, aloof, figure. Infrequent posting, a position of authority, and a self-title of 'High King" will get ya that.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #824
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
:
:
But you can only blame yourself, if you're seen as a stern, aloof, figure. Infrequent posting, a position of authority, and a self-title of 'High King" will get ya that.
SOMEbody's got to crack the whip!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 05-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #825
Mari
Elf Lady

*is not impressed*
I think Val just needs a biiiiiiiiiiiig hug *tackles Val*
"And now he's a king who's down" she said while offering Val a hand up.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #826
Valandil

Ha-ha!

* accepts Mari's hand... but then pulls her back down, then gets up *

Appreciated the hug though.

- - - - -

SAC - in all seriousness though... or at least a LITTLE more seriousness...

It's surprising to hear if really I'm seen as stern and aloof though. Unless you were joking there. It's true, I don't post like I used to. But, back in the day I sure did. I was everywhere.

After awhile though, I just shifted focus back to what I call the 'North side' of the board - the Tolkien sub-forums. I lost interest in the religious and political debate threads. Not only were there always a few people who didn't really want to 'play nice' in them, but... I don't think I ever once saw anybody change their mind. Long ago I made a similar observation in RL, and followed it with a resolve to do a lot less debating.

So... I've gone back to why I first came here anyway.

Some combination of Tolkien and 'tackle-hugs' by the young ladies.

PS: And the "High King" thingee... just a title relative to my character name, and his descendants for a few more generations. Predates even my becoming a Moderator though. And Earniel likes to tease me about it.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #827
katya
Elven Maiden

I still remember "Go north! Be nice!" I thought that was brilliant. That was you, wasn't it Val?
Old 05-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #828
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Well, I spend more time in the playpen.

Do you know anything about Myers-Briggs/Kiersey personality types? I'm an INTJ. INTJ's are really dedicated to evaluating authority...if I decide someone is an authoritative source, I listen, and if not, not. Since my list of "authoritative sources" in Tolkien is much shorter than most here, I don't enjoy the literary forums. Most of what people bring in as source material might as well be Marvel comics, by my standards.

But look at us. I've posted a couple of thousand posts, and this is the first conversation we've ever had, basically. Yeah, I've seen you as aloof.

Nice to meet you, though.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 05-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #829
Valandil

Quote:
:
:
But look at us. I've posted a couple of thousand posts, and this is the first conversation we've ever had, basically. Yeah, I've seen you as aloof.

Nice to meet you, though.
Likewise. And yes, with me posting mostly in the north, and you mostly in the south, so it has been. I've read many of your posts though. And enjoyed them.

Katya - that may have been me. I probably said some things like that anyway.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #830
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
I looked at everyone's pictures, the first week I started posting. All the actives and moderators id pages, and some of the homepage links. I'm not really about 'strangers", since my first bulletin board experience.

I look at everyone's pictures and user profiles too. I'm also a notorious Facebook stalker. Soon I will have a homepage for you to look at, Auntie Siscuz! I'm designing it completely by myself so it'll take a little while longer...
Old 05-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #831
Mari
Elf Lady

Take your time and put in some nice moving pictures, like the ones your friend makes ^_^

*is very happy to have "new" people in her home*
I think I'll finish the fruitsalad with sweet grapes and banana. *does just that*
Tea anyone? And have some fruit salad!

Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #832
Valandil

Quote:
Well, I spend more time in the playpen.

Do you know anything about Myers-Briggs/Kiersey personality types? I'm an INTJ. INTJ's are really dedicated to evaluating authority...if I decide someone is an authoritative source, I listen, and if not, not. Since my list of "authoritative sources" in Tolkien is much shorter than most here, I don't enjoy the literary forums. Most of what people bring in as source material might as well be Marvel comics, by my standards.
:
:
Oops - and I neglected to answer the first part of your post.

(SCA - I should have said, not 'SAC')

Personality tests: I generally don't have the patience for them. Or at least for the conclusions they seem to make. What kind of personality does that make me? Anyway - I think maybe I'll do better thinking of people as individuals rather than types. Probably short-sighted of me, and I'm sure the 'types' can be used as just a starting point, but digging into that stuff has little interest to me, and I've found it tedious whenever I've tried.

We would welcome informed participation in the JRRT forums though. We used to have more folks around who were more in-depth. You could probably find lots of good threads, though like choice pearls, you may have to dive deep for them. I think as we start to get a little of it showing itself, more follows, because others who check out the site casually could see something of particular interest to them in what is discussed, and begin to join in themselves. Those who are looking for that kind of thing.

*as a kid preferred DC, but wonders what's wrong with Marvel comics*

Any chance of getting you to try my fanfic? It's totally consumed with the Northern Dunedain though - so it's a bit obscure for some folks' liking.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #833
Mari
Elf Lady

Val's fanfic is good, try it Sis! *thinks back of Glorfindel and nods solemnly to emphasize her opinion*

No one for tea? *seems to lose a bit of her hyper happiness, which may be a good thing... maybe*

Old 05-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #834
katya
Elven Maiden

I'll have some tea! You know what I could really go for is some chai tea. I'm making bread now, by the way. It should be done in a couple hours.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #835
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh! Homemade bread would go well with the fruit salad! *is hyper happy again*
Chai tea for Kittykat, coming riiiight up!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #836
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Tea for me, too, please. With lemon, such a nice day.

Thank you for the invitation, Val. After the skunkworks I set off last time I rode North, I may loiter here for awhile yet.

My real life has abundant stress, so a little intellectual debate energizes me, but actual nastiness is too common. I know you understand.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 05-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #837
Mari
Elf Lady

*makes Sis a Lemon tea*
*hands the cup to Sis, sits down and puts her elbows on the table*
Sooo, Sis. Tell me: did you get to meet Cinderella or Tinkerbell? Maybe I should start calling you Tink. I like Tink.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #838
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I had a lovely time at Disney, but I didn't go into any of the parks.

I stayed in luxurious surroundings, swam nearly every day, visited with old friends and made some new ones, painted china, watched fireworks, watched giraffe and kudu at the waterhole from my bedroom balcony, made s'mores and saw Chip and Dale, then watched a movie under the stars, went on a special date with a long barefoot walk along a sand beach, a fancy dinner in a 4 star restaurant and a short trip home...I talked with people about the differences in voting systems between the US and South Africa, and the difficulty of representing African cuisine with local ingredients, and congratulated an old friend recently back from his honeymoon.

Tink and I are old friends.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Last edited by sisterandcousinandaunt : 05-26-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #839
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh, that sounds like a great time!
*sigh* And a romantic one.
*another sigh* And a multicultural one...
*is a bit jealous while wondering if she'll get to take a weekend off should she finally be able to find a job*

*sighs a happy dreamy sigh* I wanna dance with Tink. Maybe she could take me for a flight. You wanna dance with me Sis?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #840
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

*pokes head out from under the table at the smidgen of a sign of somebody thinking about Glorfindel*

Say what now?

Ooh! Tea!

And fairies... Disney fairies are crazy man, those wings totally break the laws of physics. Aerodynamic they are not.

*crawls out to show off her own lovely (and realistically proportioned)wings*
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread