Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #821
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Gordis - I agree that the area was largely treeless, but there must have been SOME trees left.

And if we're going to be canonical about the landscape along the Gwathlo, let's also be canonical about the kinds of roads the Numenoreans and Dunedain would have made. I don't think they would have a dirt road that would be subject to this kind of flooding - would they?
It is canonical that they had the roads built on causeways. (It means also that to go not by a causeway in this area was really difficult - why should they bother to built causeways otherwise?)

One good road should have connected Tharbad with Lond Daer.

BUT Lond Daer is on the South bank of the Gwathlo! So the road there should be on the South bank as well! I posted this info at least twice in this thread, but still Shah decided to follow the North bank. So, sorry, no road there!

Last edited by Gordis : 02-19-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #822
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Val, why won't you post something in the Main???
Old 02-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #823
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Two posts eaten by the bug! that is a bit too much!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #824
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Last sane person, great to see you posting again. I wish poor Shah wasn't hurt, though

TD, and Udu, lovely! I loved Khamul's declaration of love , that was some fast thinking!! And, of course, Udu's evil kiss.

I have posted, and the Jas post is rather long, and as it contains a tale already told, forgive me for the repitition, I tried to keep it as small as possible. Earniel, if you want any edits, tell me, of course.

BTW, Gordis, your observation on how soft Tol is has not gone unnoticed, as you'll see. Tol is now gearing up to be EVIL! Not that he'll be very successful, of course.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 02-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #825
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Nice posts Serenoli. So Tol wants to fight Khamûl, that might be interesting.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 02-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #826
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Wonderful, wonderful posts, Serenoli!
Especially I liked the one about Jas! I wonder will Earniel be able to identify the "nasty man" by his description? Great dialogue. I hope you will continue soon, Earniel!

And our soft Tol is boosting up his evilness by drinking! And sabotage in the cellar! Cute. It looks like with Sauron gone, Tol lost mos part of his evilness and was left rather "empty".
Old 02-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #827
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
I have posted, and the Jas post is rather long, and as it contains a tale already told, forgive me for the repitition, I tried to keep it as small as possible. Earniel, if you want any edits, tell me, of course.
You know that for me, length is seldom a problem. So no need to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
I wonder will Earniel be able to identify the "nasty man" by his description? Great dialogue. I hope you will continue soon, Earniel!
I will continue... eventually. I'm thinking, with the hints of 'nasty' and 'languages' that dear professor Galadannun would be Eärniel's first suspect. We'll see how she handles the rest of the clues.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #828
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I will continue... eventually. I'm thinking, with the hints of 'nasty' and 'languages' that dear professor Galadannun would be Eärniel's first suspect. We'll see how she handles the rest of the clues.
Hahaha, poor Khamul!
I imagine Earniel confronting him: "Dear Professor, why did you turn your colleague into a frog?"

But Khamul hardly has blue, or grey eyes. I think the Black Easterling has dark eyes.
BTW the Chancellor has grey eyes, not blue. So Jas was somewhat inaccurate .

I forgot to mention how I loved that part about winter and ice, Serenoli!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #829
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
Shah, I have re-read your post and there are some things that do not fit, or so I think.

1. There are virtualy no trees around the Gwathlo, there were woods back in the Second age, but the Numenoreans had cut them all. It was posted several times in the discussion thread (the exact quotes from UT) and in the main game thread.

2. The land is very low and flat, providing no cover.

3. It is raining heavily since the early hours of Thursday, rain and gale from the West. I doubt any bows could be used in such a rain. Their strings should get wet and loose.

4. The low terrain drenched by water becomes muddier and muddier by the hour. Soon the horses will not be able to move at all.

Shah, I know of your connection problems, and I understand you have difficulties to go read back up in the threads. That's why I repeat it again here. No offence meant.
Gordis, I realize you mean well here, but please don't nitpick. Sane's been having an extremely stressful time in real-life and frankly, it's a miracle she's had any time or energy to post at all.
Her part of the story reads fine the way it is. Let it go.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #830
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Gordis, I realize you mean well here, but please don't nitpick. Sane's been having an extremely stressful time in real-life and frankly, it's a miracle she's had any time or energy to post at all.
Her part of the story reads fine the way it is. Let it go.
I can let it go, I am sorry if Sane has problems in RL, I was not aware of it.
But, as I said, I listed the points in brief here in one post to make it easier for her, not more difficult or stressful.

I hope she will be able to continue (am I right the post is not finished yet - as the 2 ships and the patrol are still engaged?), and when she continues I would much appreciate if she takes into the account the heavy rain, the mud and the low, open terrain. That is all.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #831
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Ukh, what an ee-vil post, Udu. You nazboys are a cruel bunch!

I am looking forward to see the completely drunk Tol joining the company.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #832
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Ukh, what an ee-vil post, Udu. You nazboys are a cruel bunch!

I am looking forward to see the completely drunk Tol joining the company.
Gordis, we pride ourselves on being nasty. We can get worse, too. *evil grin*

Tol ought to leave the wine upstairs and come down and join the party, or maybe he could bring refreshments. Udu could use some. Dungeon work always raises a thirst.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #833
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Shah, I have re-read your post and there are some things that do not fit, or so I think.

1. There are virtualy no trees around the Gwathlo, there were woods back in the Second age, but the Numenoreans had cut them all. It was posted several times in the discussion thread (the exact quotes from UT) and in the main game thread.

2. The land is very low and flat, providing no cover.

3. It is raining heavily since the early hours of Thursday, rain and gale from the West. I doubt any bows could be used in such a rain. Their strings should get wet and loose.

4. The low terrain drenched by water becomes muddier and muddier by the hour. Soon the horses will not be able to move at all.

Shah, I know of your connection problems, and I understand you have difficulties to go read back up in the threads. That's why I repeat it again here. No offence meant.
1)Virtually no trees. I refuse to believe that in a thousand years, a small thicket of trees and shrubs didnt manange to pop up around the bank. This is one of those rare ones. The rest of the safe spots I will make into rock formations uncovered by all that flooding.

2) In my experiences with rivers, they usually DO make some sort of entrenchments, grooves and uncover/move large rocks along the banks or where it habitually floods. I am not saying that the plains are rocky or anything like Rohan. If i didn't have a place to hide my patrol they would all, logically be dead, Marty, Ray, Shah, the lot o them.

3) Steel bows with Steel strings. Those arent going to be affected by rain or wind, they are powerful as hell. I've hunted with them, and if you put a regular gut or flax bowstring on them, you will be going through a whole lotta bowstrings and curses. Secondly, about the arrows, I am pretty sure you are used to seeing quivers with open tops. Those are for sday trips and movies. If you intend to be out in the field and do some serious killing, you take a covered quiver like the ones I have. I will try to post some pictures.

4) True, that's why they are going to go back along the main causeway as soon as they deal with the pirates, or at least send their horses back. I've done this when the trails get to muddy for my horses to cross.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #834
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
1)Virtually no trees. I refuse to believe that in a thousand years, a small thicket of trees and shrubs didnt manange to pop up around the bank. This is one of those rare ones. The rest of the safe spots I will make into rock formations uncovered by all that flooding.

2) In my experiences with rivers, they usually DO make some sort of entrenchments, grooves and uncover/move large rocks along the banks or where it habitually floods. I am not saying that the plains are rocky or anything like Rohan. If i didn't have a place to hide my patrol they would all, logically be dead, Marty, Ray, Shah, the lot o them.

3) Steel bows with Steel strings. Those arent going to be affected by rain or wind, they are powerful as hell. I've hunted with them, and if you put a regular gut or flax bowstring on them, you will be going through a whole lotta bowstrings and curses. Secondly, about the arrows, I am pretty sure you are used to seeing quivers with open tops. Those are for sday trips and movies. If you intend to be out in the field and do some serious killing, you take a covered quiver like the ones I have. I will try to post some pictures.

4) True, that's why they are going to go back along the main causeway as soon as they deal with the pirates, or at least send their horses back. I've done this when the trails get to muddy for my horses to cross.
1.OK
2. OK, only Rohan is rocky only in the PJ's movie. In the book, it is a country of rolling green meadows.
3.OK

4. Sorry, as I pointed out, Lond Daer is on the South Bank, and the road on a causeway leading to it is on the South Bank as well. You are on the North bank, so no good road, sorry. That was the main point in all the rain-as-a-trap thingy.

Here was the description of the land and a warning I have posted BEFORE the patrol set out from the West gate!
http://www.entmoot.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=301

Here is the additional warning I have posted right after Shah posted about the patrol leaving via the West gate on the North Bank.
http://www.entmoot.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=416

And here is the post in the Main game thread stating the same.
http://www.entmoot.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=791

You have been warned in time, sorry again, now you have to take into consideration the posts that are already there. They take precedence.

Last edited by Gordis : 02-19-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #835
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Why does no body like poor old Khamûl?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 02-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #836
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Nossensis, your new wife, loves you, O Shadow of the East! Have you forgotten her?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #837
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Nossensis, your new wife, loves you, O Shadow of the East! Have you forgotten her?
Maybe no one else does but Nossensis is madly in love with Khamul. How can you spurn her this way?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #838
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
You have been warned in time, sorry again, now you have to take into consideration the posts that are already there. They take precedence.
Considering Shah's the one writing the attack, the details of the surroundings are hers to define, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think we should get too carried away over a terrain where it's unlikely the game will return to at a later point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
He kicks people out of libraries, the fielt.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #839
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Considering Shah's the one writing the attack, the details of the surroundings are hers to define, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think we should get too carried away over a terrain where it's unlikely the game will return to at a later point.

Sorry, I have to disagree. The layout of the terrain is of PRINCIPAL importance. It is the main component in the trap that the Morgul Lord has set for the patrol when he started this rain. The land is low (and it is canon, by the way), and when flooded, it gets dirty and horses sink down up to the navel.

It was posted long ago.

And as for the attack, it is NOT one-sided either. The other side is played by Udu - he has the right to express his opinion as well.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #840
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Maybe no one else does but Nossensis is madly in love with Khamul. How can you spurn her this way?
Trust me it wasn't easy!

Quote:
What can I say, he just loves his books!

Closed Thread