Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #821
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Cool. Have fun!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #822
Mari
Elf Lady

Bye Nerdy! Have fun and bring me back a (virtual) souvenir. Pretty please? *puppy eyes*

Oh! And don't go falling off the mountain now! >_<

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #823
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Despite the fact that I was exhausted after work, I did a good, solid 35 minutes of vocalizing/singing, so I'm proud of myself. It's not what I could wish for, BUT I've been good about practicing every single day since last week, and my voice is getting back to where it should be. I'm also proud that I practiced at all, never mind that it was a bit short .

I also loaned out a book of John Dowland works from the library, and OMG I love them. They're awesome to sing .

Last edited by Tessar : 08-18-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #824
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Obama picked Biden.

I can't say everything that means, but, wow.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #825
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i'm happy, because:

(a) this thread was above the venting thread when i came back
(b) i made it all the way up to the peak of sweden's highest mountain! 8D

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #826
Mari
Elf Lady

Way to go Nerdanel! Soooo... pics?

I came back from a weekend Amsterdam with friends My feet are non-usable at the moment though. Too much walking! >_<

Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #827
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I also loaned out a book of John Dowland works from the library, and OMG I love them. They're awesome to sing .
I must confess, pre-1700 music tends to take a bit of work for me to grasp. Usually worth it, though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #828
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Mwahahahah!

Mine's an evil laugh.

Oh, sweet vengeance!

My statistics sent them running in the head office. Oh, yes! They even had to call down some of the department managers to come and see because they were so dire. I've got numbers to prove it and they say you do a shoddy job.

Of course, they've said before they'd improve last time we pointed out errors, so we'll yet have to see if they'll follow up for real. But oh, I love sending them scurrying in panic. I get to do this far too seldom.

Man, I wish I could have been there...

Also, I have been able to order some prints from the actual glass photo-panels from the excavation photos of Tutanchuman's tomb. The real thing, baby! Damn, those prints are pretty. Gor-ge-ous! So happy!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #829
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
i'm happy, because:

(b) i made it all the way up to the peak of sweden's highest mountain! 8D
Got pictures?

Congrats! Someday I will do that as well...
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #830
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Got pictures?

Congrats! Someday I will do that as well...
Thank you! I'm sure you will - just leave early enough in the morning.. X) It's quite a climb.

It was very foggy when we were up there, so all we (there were only two of us who went all the way up in the end) got from there was photos of us.. XD It was alright, though, 'cause we slid down the first 50 metres of the glacier when we turned back.. It was great!
But, of course, I have photos from elsewhere - the road there and some other places I went. Actually, I'll go upload some now..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #831
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh classes will start tomorrow!
Bet your bottled water that tomorrow... there'll be class!
Oh classes will start tomorrow!
Clear away the cobwebs and beer bottles... 'cuz come what maaaaay...

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Classes start tomorrow!

It's only a DAAAAAY AAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! *confetti!!!!!*
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #832
katya
Elven Maiden

I am mooting on my new iPhone.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #833
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I am mooting on my new iPhone.
Oh, tell me everything. I was playing with one yesterday, and I need to decide, like, today.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #834
Mari
Elf Lady

It got REALLY bad reviews here. They've opened special hotlines because of it.
Apparently internet crashes frequently, sending mails won't work, and the phone not being able to find networks to call on, etc.
They say there's something wrong with the software. ('they' being the makers, not the people complaining or the media)

Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #835
Amael
Elven Warrior

If the makers of the phone are saying that, then it must REALLY be bad.

Imagine Bill Gates saying "hey Windows Vista got owned by Mac!!!"
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #836
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't know, mine works fine. Everyone here seems to like it ok. (Also, everyone I know has had good experiences with Apple's customer service.) Mine's working great, my friend who's had his for a while likes it too. Do you know about all the features, Sis? It pretty much replaces your phone, camera, iPod, and you can browse the internet and it's actually quite usable. You just sort of strech out the screen to zoom in and scrunch it up to zoom out (with your fingers). I actually don't really like the touch screen and I wish there were more buttons, but it works I guess. Also, one of the reason I'd get an iPhone over a similar fancy phone is because they are so popular that everyone makes software and apps for them. Things like facebook, flickr, all the emails, etc. You can also hack it very easily and put more neat things on it, if you are so inclined.

If you need something like that, it's really nice. If you can live without it, it's something you can live without too. I wasn't even going to get one until yesterday, but I needed a new phone anyway and it wasn't that expensive and I happen to have a lot of money right now, so I just said what the heck. I like it though.

edit: The text message interface is really nice and convenient. The voicemail thing is really nice too. I don't know what your current voice mail set up is but mine was atrocious. You had to call to hear them and just play through them, but with iPhone you can look at who they're from and when and decide which one to hear that way.

Last edited by katya : 08-28-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #837
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, there is probably a difference between the American networks and the Dutch one, plus our phonewaves are at a different frequency I think, so maybe that plays a role here too.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #838
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I don't know, mine works fine. Everyone here seems to like it ok. (Also, everyone I know has had good experiences with Apple's customer service.) Mine's working great, my friend who's had his for a while likes it too. Do you know about all the features, Sis? It pretty much replaces your phone, camera, iPod, and you can browse the internet and it's actually quite usable. You just sort of strech out the screen to zoom in and scrunch it up to zoom out (with your fingers). I actually don't really like the touch screen and I wish there were more buttons, but it works I guess. Also, one of the reason I'd get an iPhone over a similar fancy phone is because they are so popular that everyone makes software and apps for them. Things like facebook, flickr, all the emails, etc. You can also hack it very easily and put more neat things on it, if you are so inclined.

If you need something like that, it's really nice. If you can live without it, it's something you can live without too. I wasn't even going to get one until yesterday, but I needed a new phone anyway and it wasn't that expensive and I happen to have a lot of money right now, so I just said what the heck. I like it though.

edit: The text message interface is really nice and convenient. The voicemail thing is really nice too. I don't know what your current voice mail set up is but mine was atrocious. You had to call to hear them and just play through them, but with iPhone you can look at who they're from and when and decide which one to hear that way.
Oooh, me likey.

I am insanely lazy when it comes to technology. I just want things to work.

old phones...they worked. you could drop a Bell phone from a building and then pick it up and answer it. I miss those.

But I spend a certain amount of time on the net, I take pictures ALL the time, and I'm addicted to my i-pod, although I don't give it the exercise it deserves. I have truly deeply hated most of my cell phones, which I use ALL the time. When I'm looking at replacing my last one (yeah!) I'm looking at pretty expensice phones, anyway. I'm completely over vga cameras, for example, I need pixels, darnit.

But I've had great experiences with Apple customer service, and the idea that my pictures would download while I'm charging...*heart* I played with one at the store yesterday, and watched youTube, played games, put pictures on the contacts list, I was cruisin'.

I'm seriously considering it. Screen is nice for the video, too. I like watching my music videos even on my smaller i-pod screen.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #839
katya
Elven Maiden

Me too, the other phones I was looking at were expensive already so I figured I might as well kick it up a tiny notch and go for the iPhone. And yeah, the screen is just beautiful. It's really easy to see.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #840
Jonathan

Last month I travelled with three guys who all had iPhones. Quite made me yearn for one myself...
Closed Thread