Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #821
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Hey you need to let the disinfrachised vent for the next 48 hours at least. Id do the same for you.
Sure you would.

Quote:
well I think there are plenty of people in the administration who would rather see him go quite frankly. thats pretty well known. it will come down to is Bush one of those people and if not will he be influenced enough by those hawks to dump him. or will powell take a cue and walk himself.
i don't think he will leave. I think the role of Powell will come into play now.
Quote:
we didnt become pariahs because of the 2000 election, that was just wood for the fire. We became pariahs AFTER afghanistan when we attacked Iraq. thats when the dominos really started to fall. So i dont see this election suddenly reversing that at all.
A lot of it was because of the 2000 election. Look at how the democrats constantly brought that up every chance they could. It was thorn in their side.
Quote:
Moot ferriners? did you suddenly wake up with a great feeling about the good ole US because Bush got 51% this time? Did you lose all bitter taste in your mouth for Iraq and such over night? How bout your leaders?
They're in shock - they're newspapers kept reporting how Bush was going to lose by a landslide.

BTW - I was pissed yesterday - French news was a repeat - they wouldn't show yesterday's french news - I wonder why? It had BETTER be on today.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-03-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #822
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Ahhh - the negativity is great here.
not completely

i'm curious to see what happens... gwb has congress, he doesn't have to worry about reelection... the next four years are all about him and the republican party... no more "that was because of clinton"

will he be able to reign in all the discretionary spending he's done over the past four years or at least hold even? (hopes the answer is yes)

will he attack other nations? (hopes the answer is no)

will he push socially conservative issues? (really hopes the answer is no)

in the end... i'm willing to judge him on the results four years from now... so we'll see

Last edited by brownjenkins : 11-03-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #823
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
in the end... i'm willing to judge him on the results four years from now... so we'll see
Well I'm glad. I'm hoping that the nation can finally heal from the 2000 election.

One thing - I seriously doubt we will be attacking any other countries. I think this is the moment for the diplomacy to kick in. That is one of the key things that is mentioned in Thomas Barnett's book. I think now we have a chance to see - about iraq. It can't be kerry changing the plan and then the failure being laid on buish without the full thing being followed through. NOW if Iraq fails - now it will be Bush's fault. But I don't think it will fail. i think it wil calm down. I also think that the media will be showing a lot less constant negative reporting - because they don't have the incentive of trying to force bush out of office.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #824
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
at least we all like Tolkien...

*ducks*
LOL Val!

Quote:
Nurv - every ten years when the census is done, the number of senators and congressman shifts as people have said. In 2000 - Florida had 25 electoral votes - because of population shifts - Florida had 27 this time. If Puerto Rico becomes a state - it will also affect the electoral college and some states will lose votes. It used to be that there was a representative for every 30,000 people - but with the growth of the US - they changed the constitution so the house is fixed at 435. It would have become too unweidly with 1 rep/30,000 - Plainsboro itself would basically have it's own representative in congress.
Thanks JD, that's interesting. And it makes sense.

Will Puerto Rico become a state soon? IIRC they already use the American dollar.

I may not like Bush but it was your election and I'm glad 1/2 of you are happy. And congradulations to both of them for being classy about it. (Admitedly it is easier to be classy when you just won, but still.) Yay Kerry.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #825
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Will Puerto Rico become a state soon? IIRC they already use the American dollar.
Not only do they use the dollar- but for all purposes they are US citizens. They carry American passports, they are free to move anywhere they want within the US, they have non-voting members in the house and senate.

As for becoming a state soon - that's up to them. They vote on it every 10 years or so. The last time statehood and remaining as a terroritory were neck and neck - with independence being in single digits. Each time statehood gains more support. One of the points that keeps them as a terrority - are things like not wanting to give up their olympic team and things like that.
Quote:
I may not like Bush but it was your election and I'm glad 1/2 of you are happy. And congradulations to both of them for being classy about it. (Admitedly it is easier to be classy when you just won, but still.) Yay Kerry.
I'm glad you accept that it was our election and our decision. I'm glad all the fear mongering about a fiasco like 2000 didn't occur. That was one of my biggest fears.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #826
Janny
The Blobbit

May I ask a brief question? Since Bush cheated in 2000 and got less than Gore in the popular vote, but this time he didn't and got the popular vote, does this mean that his approval rating has improved since 2000? Does this mean you will have to accept he actually did something that a lot of people liked in the period 2000-4?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:01 PM   #827
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
May I ask a brief question? Since Bush cheated in 2000 and got less than Gore in the popular vote, but this time he didn't and got the popular vote, does this mean that his approval rating has improved since 2000? Does this mean you will have to accept he actually did something that a lot of people liked in the period 2000-4?
Where do you get the information that he "cheated"? Bush won completely on the constitution. The popular vote does NOT matter in the US - the only thing that matters is the electoral college. Based on the end of your post - I am hoping you are only using the word "cheated" because that is what many of his opponents used to say.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #828
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

How did Bush "cheat", Janny? Or are you just using terms that some people like to use? But the rest of your post is valid!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #829
inked
Elf Lord

O Janny, you must have been a Democrat in another life to not realize that an ELECTORAL COLLEGE victory plus the LARGEST NUMBER OF VOTES FOR A PRESIDENT constitute a mandate and approval of the actions of the past 4 years! Your karma must be really heavy to have this degree of difficulty in understanding!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #830
Janny
The Blobbit

Rhetorical speech. Question directed to people who say Bush cheated. I was wondering what they would make of the fact that, since they say that he cheated, he must have made huge gains in popularity to win legit. And that implies he must have done something right. Rebuttal?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #831
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Rhetorical speech. Question directed to people who say Bush cheated. I was wondering what they would make of the fact that, since they say that he cheated, he must have made huge gains in popularity to win legit. And that implies he must have done something right. Rebuttal?
Okay - that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. You should use quotes around cheated then.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #832
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Told you so, Janny
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:27 PM   #833
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Well I'm glad. I'm hoping that the nation can finally heal from the 2000 election.

One thing - I seriously doubt we will be attacking any other countries. I think this is the moment for the diplomacy to kick in. That is one of the key things that is mentioned in Thomas Barnett's book. I think now we have a chance to see - about iraq. It can't be kerry changing the plan and then the failure being laid on buish without the full thing being followed through. NOW if Iraq fails - now it will be Bush's fault. But I don't think it will fail. i think it wil calm down. I also think that the media will be showing a lot less constant negative reporting - because they don't have the incentive of trying to force bush out of office.
something we can both agree on
Old 11-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #834
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Okay - that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. You should use quotes around cheated then.
And prevent an outburst of emotion?

I was trying to parody the type of person quite prevailant in the UK hwo believes that the President cheated and are so convinced of it, that within their circles it is stated as fact, not as erroneous conjecture.

With hindsight, I should have used inverted commas. With hindsight I have much knowledge. Mr Kerry understands.

Last edited by Janny : 11-03-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #835
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
something we can both agree on
I'm glad you agree that Bush will succeed and iraq will calm down and that the news will no longer have an incentive to constantly attack bush and only report negative things happening in Iraq.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2004, 07:00 PM   #836
Mercutio

Also on the ballot in 11 states was a referendum to ban gay marriage (amendment to state constitution): Oregon, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio and Utah. Overall it won by a 2-1 ratio. (highest: 86 % in Mississippi; lowest 59 % in Michigan).

Any ideas who Bush might want to place on the Supreme Court? That one guy is probably going to resign in a few months.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:13 PM   #837
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't like referendums. Bad experiences. The three that have ever had impact on my life were totally biased in their wording. Ban gay marriage?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-03-2004, 07:31 PM   #838
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, I'm happy with the outcome, however, just because Ohio did it doesn't mean I take full responsibility for the next four years.
LOL, I don't think anybody but W. has to do that. Geez, there is a General Messages Forum? Who knew? *disappears again*
Old 11-03-2004, 09:25 PM   #839
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I voted for Kerry, and proud of it Am quite bummed he didn't win! .Congratulations to JD and the other Bushies. Can't wait for the NEXT election!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 PM   #840
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
LOL, I don't think anybody but W. has to do that. Geez, there is a General Messages Forum? Who knew? *disappears again*
I can always count on you doc. <smooch>

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread