Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #801
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by balin
I know that most of you are laughing. Believe me, I understand. It is hard to believe in something that you can't see. But it takes more than that, it takes faith. There is no phone to talk to God. Its not that simple. He wants us to find him and have free will, all you have to do is talk to him like you would anyone else. He will answer, not like you would imagine it, but he will answer. In your heart. May I ask what type of belief systems that you all have? If any? What do you think will happen to you after you die? How were we created? You you have a theory on that? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just want to see your viewpoint(s).
Read the entire thread Balin..........you'll find a whole myriad of beleif systems (and lack of) here

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:15 PM   #802
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

He is behind that couch over there!

I'd like you to meet my friend, mr. darwin.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:17 PM   #803
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by RĂ*an
It's like if you have a trusted and intelligent teacher that has always been kind, and always right, and always trustworthy, and always really, incredibly wise. Then one day they say something or do something that you can't figure out and that doesn't make sense. Do you immediately discard the relationship and throw out all the knowledge that the teacher has previously taught you? Or do you stop and reflect - "this teacher has always acted for my best, and has taught me many wise things, and has always been right - perhaps this teacher is trying now to teach me a more complex lesson - let me pause and think this thru in the light of my knowledge of this teacher's character and knowledge."

Do you guys see what I mean?
Wow. AGAIN, this is like Van Helsing from Dracula, an issue he dealt with greatly, especially with his pupil Jack Seward.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #804
balin
Sapling

Do you really believe in the Theory of Evolution? There are so may flaws in that theory that its preposterous. Where did the original matter come from? Was it just there? Or put there by the great and mighty Charles Darwin? I just can't believe that even if the matter was there, that, over millions of years, things bumped togather to form bigger things, and so far and so forth. Maybe i'm just simple-minded, but would you care to explain these flaws to me???
balin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:25 PM   #805
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

ENTMOOT TRADING CARDS!

I think we need our own trading cards or something so newbies can see everyones basic details.

Hi Im Insidious. I enjoy irony and avoiding work and I collect library books and amusing quotes about martha stewart. My entmoot trademark is matter of fact comments that make some people shake their head and make other people confused. My religion is none and my belief system is scientific. And yes I am perfectly content with it as it makes by far the most sense to me. My life time batting average is uh.. oh wait... different card.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:27 PM   #806
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

hey Gwaimir looks like yet another thread is about to get hijacked by the dreaded evolution vs. creationism debate. *hold me back!*

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #807
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Re: ENTMOOT TRADING CARDS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I think we need our own trading cards or something so newbies can see everyones basic details.

Hi Im Insidious. I enjoy irony and avoiding work and I collect library books and amusing quotes about martha stewart. My entmoot trademark is matter of fact comments that make some people shake their head and make other people confused. My religion is none and my belief system is scientific. And yes I am perfectly content with it as it makes by far the most sense to me. My life time batting average is uh.. oh wait... different card.
LOL!

There is a new thread idea here!

Got me proper giggling that has

Beatallica
Old 05-22-2003, 08:32 PM   #808
HOBBIT

Quote:
Do you really believe in the Theory of Evolution? There are so may flaws in that theory that its preposterous. Where did the original matter come from? Was it just there? Or put there by the great and mighty Charles Darwin? I just can't believe that even if the matter was there, that, over millions of years, things bumped togather to form bigger things, and so far and so forth. Maybe i'm just simple-minded, but would you care to explain these flaws to me???
im no evolutionary expert, but sure there are some flaws. right now, it is the best explanation for things. i dont really wanna get into this AGAIN. what about all that evidence (not getting into it).

thing with evolution is is that it is science. it is a theory that keeps on changing as new information is gathered, as is the nature of science.

creationists' beliefs are constant, never changing. do you really believe that the earth was created in 7 days?

eh, i can ask the same question to you: where did god come from?

not that great a post (got my point across i hope), but i am sick (bad cold) and dont really feel like making a good reply sorry.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 05-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #809
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
creationists' beliefs are constant, never changing. do you really believe that the earth was created in 7 days?
Nah, he only worked six days.

Beatallica
Old 05-22-2003, 08:45 PM   #810
HOBBIT

oh, right. that makes more sense, thanks coney.

Old 05-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #811
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I'm not laughing at you Balin, whether I agree with your beliefs or no.

Entmoot trading cards, I like it!

One idea that I looked at when I was studying for my Bat Mitzvah (wow, 6 years ago! That's a long time! Well, for me.), back when I actually considered myself to be Jewish (no offense meant to my mother, or anyone Jewish here!) was the definition of days. If the sun wasn't around yet, how could there be days? So maybe it was a metaphorical term. But anyway, it's not like I believe in creation, nor did I at the time. To me, gods are the creation of our thoughts and our minds, not the other way around. Doesn't mean they aren't there, though. But of course that's me! Just sharing my views

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:07 PM   #812
balin
Sapling

Glad to see you two are handling things....
And by the way, God does love you, no matter what. His love and forgiveness are always open to you, all you have to do is ask him. (not by telephone) Please, don't feel that christians are closed-minded, we just belive what we believe, and that dosn't change with new scientific discoveries.
balin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:14 PM   #813
Gwaimir Windgem

Erm, people, I wouldn't mind this at all, but there is currently another argument going on. I mean, come on, surely y'all'd rather bash Christians than discuss CvE?

Therefore, I would like to request that you Vacate the Premises.

-clickiddy click-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-22-2003, 09:16 PM   #814
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I've noticed quite a few times on this thread that people have lumped all Christians into the same category. I dunno how the Christians feel about this, but from one who studies religion and whatnot for fun, this seems rather odd to me, as the Christians as a whole are such a diverse group. Just a thought.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:18 PM   #815
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
oh, right. that makes more sense, thanks coney.
Of course it makes more sense.........if he had put that extra day of work in, the Garden of Eden would have been the whole earth

Beatallica
Old 05-22-2003, 09:26 PM   #816
HOBBIT

non-christians (and i guess also some christians) usually lump all christians together because it is simply easier that way..

Do any of them have any MAJOR differences? In History class we have studied lots of different christian reformations and the starts of seaparate sects of christianity.... i lost track of them all after 2......... not to be offensive, but all the differences seem very very small and they all believe in jesus and in the new testament that makes them all christians. Usually when people try to make points against christianity, it is to christians in general and thus, why mention separate sects of the religion? People argue against the belief in god, jesus, etc; things shared by all christians.

i havent mentioned christianity really, i argue against the possibility of a god (or gods). Its a little irritating that this discussions ALWAYS turn into basically the existance of a CHRISTIAN god or not. There are other religions that believe in god (s), like judiasm, islam, hidu religion, etc.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:41 PM   #817
Gwaimir Windgem

Well, HOBBIT, this thread was founded by a devout Christian, and I believe it was based on Christian belief. Also, Christians debate religion on the 'Moot more than any other religion (except Atheists :P), and so it's only natural that over time the discussions will "slide" towards Christianity. That's one reason I don't want debate in the Religious Knowledge Thread; because debate is something which the Christians do more than others, and thus the topic understandly goes towards Christianity. So, by attempting to keep AWAY from debate, it keeps the topic less centered on Christianity, and more open to learning more about other religions.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-23-2003, 02:19 AM   #818
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by RĂ*an
And re your "survival of the species" thought - see, you introduced a moral judgement - you used the word "good". Where did your sense of morality come from? If evolution is just one possibility out of a zillion-plus chances (the one that "happened" to work), then all other chances are just as "good" (or more accurately, none of the possibilities are either bad or good). How can "chance" have good/bad attached to it? (unless we bring in our own judgement, put into us by God, to evaluate things). IOW, it would have been equally "good" for the species to NOT survive, if evolution is the only thing in town...
Let me reword my sentence:
Could it be that we think it's wrong to kill people because we will not continue to survive (as a species) if we go around killing everybody we see?
Chance doesn't have good/bad attached to it. Unless we put a label on it which says, according to us, it is good/bad.
It's not good or bad if a species survives, it just is. We want to survive because it's in our genes to survive so we can propagate. If, way, way back, a mutation caused someone who didn't want to survive and propagate, then they would more than likely die without having children and thus not pass it on to the next generation.

Quote:
The orginal matter came from organic substances from the Earth (I assume that's what you're talking about.) Before that, matter came from the Big Bang.
Well, particles of dust, bumped into each other and formed planets. (Yes, I realise that's much different to forming life.) Unfortunately, evolutionary biology is not something I'm very familiar with, so I would recommend you find a book about the subject if you wish.
And, balin, I'm not laughing at you, either. I haven't decided if there is a God or not. If He is there, I think He created the universe with its own laws and let it be (i.e, according to scientific principles, including evolution.)

Maybe we should revive the evolution thread.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:29 AM   #819
Gwaimir Windgem

Yes, that's what I thought, too. Which is why I provided the link above.

like this.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-23-2003, 07:52 AM   #820
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes balin....many of us REALLY, REALLY, DO believe in evolution! Please look at the "Should Evolution be Taught in School" thread and don't act so shocked! I understand though... I feel the same way when folks stand up for the Creation Theory.