Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2003, 10:50 PM   #801
Aeryn Evenstar
Enting

I can't wait till TTT comes out--the extended version that is. I don't think I will buy the theatrical version this time around. I think I like TTT about as much as FOTR. FOTR was the set up for the next two movies. I can't wait to see it again!

Hi, Anarion!
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:52 PM   #802
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i just watched it at the hotel i was staying at. that will satisfy me till august
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:49 AM   #803
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Did anyone else think Aragorn looked "pudgy" in that Lounger/ pajama outfit or whatever he had on in the Rivendell "love" scene? I thought his bare feet were kind of icky (long curving toes! ) too! The wardrobe dept should have hid his bulging tummy, corrected his posture, or given him shoulder pads! Someone else thought he'd just been to a massive breakfast buffet in Rivendell Yum!
Old 08-04-2003, 07:43 PM   #804
legolialis
Hobbit

Strider

i realy liked the movie. I didn't think that it was as good as the fellowship but it was still realy good. except i didn't like how they took frodo all the way to osgiliath instead of just the secret hideout of gondor still in ithilian. i can't wait for the return of the king!!!
legolialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:46 PM   #805
legolialis
Hobbit

I don't think he looked "pudgy" lol I thought he looked the same, and he's suppose to have "icky" feet he's a ranger. Try spending that much time outside and not get nasty feet. I'll bet they didn't have gold bond foot powder in middle earth!! lol
legolialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:09 PM   #806
anarion
Enting

Location: Born in Lousiville, KY. Living in Laguna, Philippines
remember that Aragorn isn't supposed to look like a king yet...and btw I thought that Vigo was just about the best Aragorn that I could have thought of.
Anarion

Hello to you too Aeryn
anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #807
elixir
Elven Warrior

I'm quite sure that it's been mentioned by somebody already for I didn't read through all the 41 pages of this thread and it could be mentioned somewhere else too, but.....

In TTT, the battle at Helm's Deep, it says that the army consists of 10 000 orcs. That was not 10 000 orcs in the movie, it was something about 50 000-100 000 orcs... Too many orcs, there were too many orcs!

You may say that it was a minor change, but it bothered me!

So, I'm interested to hear other people's opinions about it and if it has been discussed before, a link to the place it was discussed would be very nice indeed...

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:33 PM   #808
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm having trouble with the Entmoot website, otherwise I'd look for the huge Helm's Deep discussion for you. I think the trouble comes from the people who normally put hundreds of hours into the site to maintain it are deservedly on vacation.

Anyway, I also had a few issues with that battle, but I also enjoyed it and thought some parts worked really well.

I wouldn't mind rehashing those ideas either. I was also thrown off a bit by the excessive quantities of orcs, and the too few Rohirrim. They were outnumbered, but not by that much. We know it's a desparate battle already, sheesh.

I really loved the scene where Gandalf comes with Eomer's army. Them charging down the steep slope was an awe-inspiring sight.

Cheers! |N|
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #809
azalea
Long lost mooter

I do think that was a flaw -- they were in love with their computer program that allowed them to bring to life an army of that size, so they had to use it.
There are a couple of Helm's Deep threads; the easiest way to find them is to do a search of this forum.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:37 PM   #810
Seton,Lothlorien Guardian
Hobbit

You would be suprised at what 10,000 people looks like.
But I do agree there were quite a few Orcs there and too few Men.

I searched for Helm's Deep and came up with 350 results..

"Some who die deserve life, and some who live deserve death" -Gandalf.

"We do not stop until nightfall,"
"What about breakfast?,"
"We already had it,"
"We've had one, yes. What about two?"
Seton,Lothlorien Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:23 PM   #811
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Helm's Deep Movie Thread
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #812
elixir
Elven Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Seton,Lothlorien Guardian
You would be suprised at what 10,000 people looks like.
But I do agree there were quite a few Orcs there and too few Men.

I searched for Helm's Deep and came up with 350 results.. [QUOTE]

I searched for 10000 and found about 30 results

10,000 people looks extremely few. It's only 100*100 people. And if they stand quite close to each other they take surprisingly little room. Believe me.

Hmmm... I think I should go and talk about this in that Helm's Deep Movie Thread that Cirdan had in his post...

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:02 PM   #813
paulbaggins
Sapling

Gimli TTT

I saw TT last night. It is a darkewr movie than LotR BUT then so is the book. Its the nature of the story. I enjoyed Gollum and his schizoid discussion . The battle of Helms Deep well that whole line has so many modern paralells that as ahistorian I could transfer the people opf middle eaarth into any war any time. Foromir is a bit of a disapointment after Boromir but even brothers can't be that alikee. And I am looking forward to the Return of the King mainly to knit up the story.
As fpor Fordo & Sam they just keep on moving.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:50 PM   #814
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Moot!

Faramir was a bit disappointing too. ~_^

I thought the actor was good, but why did he have to cave in to the power of the ring? He didn't do that in the book. (The character not behaving a certain way in the book is the basis for my only complaints.)

Book-Faramir was cool!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:01 AM   #815
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Speaking of dark movies, I recently watched the Frighteners, just because Peter Jackson directed it and I wanted to see if there were any parallels. It was a mediocre Michael J Fox horror/comedy, some of it pretty sadistic. (I like Fox, don't get me wrong, but it was pretty light stuff when not gruesome.) I think PJ has matured considerably as a director (don't flame me!) since then.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:48 AM   #816
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I did not see this at the theater. For some odd reason I waited for the DVD. I gave FoTR a 7 out of 10(saw at theater, and own DVD). I gave this one (TTT) 8 out of 10.

It was a little slower (kept looking at the clock(not from boredom...more like "if they keep this pace, how in the heck are they going to fit everything in).

I did not like the Faramir change...but it did not bother me like it has others.

I think the Gimli comedy was a bit overdone...but it did not ruin the film for me. "You'll have to toss me...don't tell the elf!" quote may be wrong, but I liked that one.

Treebeard looked awesome!

The Black Gate was exactly like I imagined it while reading!

The movie was great, the books are great...but they are (and probably have to be) two different things!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 11:04 PM   #817
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

After watching this movie again, it's better than I remembered. Not as good as FotR, but still good. I guess the last 9 months have brought me peace with most of PJ's changes.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 11:51 PM   #818
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
After watching this movie again, it's better than I remembered. Not as good as FotR, but still good. I guess the last 9 months have brought me peace with most of PJ's changes.
I still don't have the damn movie. I will not accept Jackson's idiotic changes. So now that you have the movie - can you tell me why he had Frodo taken all the way to Osgiliath and why the Nazgul didn't take the Ring when it was two feet from it's grasp and how did Frodo travel back east again without ever being spotted? We know how hard it was for him to get to that point the first time - now Jackson expects us to believe he was able to do it a SECOND time.

Another thing - Why did he make faramir such an asshole in the movie? And why did Treebeard have no idea about the forest being destroyed? And what was the deal with the exorcism? And why did Aragorn fall off the cliff and "die"? I cna go on and on - but you get the picture I think.

Jackson's a hack and butchered the movies.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-31-2003 at 12:16 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 05:57 AM   #819
olsonm
Elf Lord

Note: I make no objective argument about the effectivness or 'correctness' of these scenes. I answer the question; "why?", in a mechanical sense.
Quote:
why he had Frodo taken all the way to Osgiliath
Padding. He wanted a more visually impressive moment for Frodo to compete with the (intended) spectacular visuals of "Helm's Deep" and "the Drowning of Isengard", because he had shifted the Shelob sequence to ROTK. Padding.
Quote:
why the Nazgul didn't take the Ring when it was two feet from it's grasp
He tried to. But Sam and Faramir prevented it.
Quote:
how did Frodo travel back east again without ever being spotted? We know how hard it was for him to get to that point the first time - now Jackson expects us to believe he was able to do it a SECOND time.
He got out the same way he got in. His entrance into Osgiliath was not protrayed as difficult, why then would his exit be difficult?
Quote:
Why did he make faramir such an asshole in the movie?
He chose an aspect of Faramir's character (his tragic relationship with his father) to be his main characteristic in the movie, because this facilitated his simplification devices (i.e.; the exaggerated threat of the Ring, the weakness of Men) as well as the padding mention above.
Quote:
And why did Treebeard have no idea about the forest being destroyed?
Because it had just begun in FOTR.
Quote:
And what was the deal with the exorcism?
Interpretive exaggeration.
Quote:
And why did Aragorn fall off the cliff and "die"?
Padding. He needed to transform his reluctant Aragorn from FOTR into someone capable of accepting his role as king in ROTK. Due to the shifting of story events out of TTT into the other two films, he had time to get creative with this transformative scene. He did. Padding.

Again, all are free to agree or disagree with the adaptive and cinematic effectivness of these scenes but these appear to be their mechanical origins.

Last edited by olsonm : 08-31-2003 at 05:58 AM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:13 PM   #820
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Yeah - I knew why he did it. He needed to make LotR into an action movie.

As for the Osgiliath scene with the Nazgul - it still makes no sense - Sauron would have the other eight Nazgul there in a heartbeat. Frodo would never have been able to cross back over and make it back to Mordor.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote