Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #801
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
I started as an Econ. major, and remember my Stats prof. looking at my resuls and suggesting "maybe you should switch to sociology".

I did worse (or better); went over to History.
I am starting to wonder if maybe switching to a business degree outside of Finance (maybe marketing or management or something) would be a better idea. I am not so great with all of these math heavy classes. But at this point I'm so sick of dragging my degree out I'm about ready to throw myself from the highest peak of the Business Tower.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #802
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I think I'm going to withdraw from my statistics class tomorrow morning, when I can do a "drop in" advising session. I screwed up the beginning of the semester being so busy with work (two major events needed planning during the same time frame as the opera and required lots of extra work hours) and the opera, and now I can't understand the material and I can't catch up. I think it's time to call it quits.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #803
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Seems pretty late in the semester to be able to drop a course- won't it affect your GPA?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #804
Mari
Elf Lady

*sigh* I've hit a pretty low spot, emotionally. I just can't seem to get a grip on my third year students and the second year students are starting to slip away as well.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #805
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Seems pretty late in the semester to be able to drop a course- won't it affect your GPA?
No. My university has a "generous" withdraw date.

Unfortunately I missed a bunch of deadlines for some homeworks for other classes because I flat out forgot to write them down, and they were all due on days where I was running straight from work to school back to work, to rehearsals, etc. I didn't even realize I had missed some of them till now. I've been so good lately about putting everything on my calendar that I just trusted myself and never realized I had forgotten to write down the homework due dates.

I'm feeling pretty screwed at the moment, and unfortunately I've done it all 100% to myself. Good job, self.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #806
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Nearly a month since a vent? Let's rectify that.

Growr! I missed my bus to Toronto! I assumed it was going to be in the same place as normal, so it's really my fault for not double checking, but still . . . Growr! They told me I could bring the same ticket to the night bus at 10pm, so we'll see. You can be damned sure I'll be double-checking the location*this time.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #807
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yeah, those assumptions will burn you sometimes ... hope it works out!

Reminds me of the time I flew to San Francisco to visit my sister and bro-in-law. We had great tickets to the symphony, with a great playlist. I flew over specifically to hear a Chopin piece. They've had season tickets to the symphony for years, so they didn't bother to check the time. They were an hour's drive away, and we got held up on the road, and then for some reason my sister decided to call and double-check the time, and sure enough, it was an hour earlier

We walked in to hear the last lingering notes of the Chopin piece in the lobby, and then had to suffer through all the people praising it to the skies ...

The good news is that the Beethoven piece was wonderful, and we had a great crowd and conductor and got two encores! But oh, that Chopin ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-02-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #808
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I wish people would stop asking me how I am and then go all droopy-face when I answer that I'm okay or I'll manage. I don't want to lie about things like that, if I'm not doing great, I'm going to say so and yes, lately that have been the case, but I wish people would stop looking at me like I just kicked a puppy. If you only want to hear 'Great!' maybe it's best not to ask in the first place.

It's perfectly alright to say 'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.' and change the subject. In fact I prefer that. Because if you want me to list the things that makes me not doing great, I'm not sure I can stop! And I've grown tired of ranting, and I hate loading people with my problems and I can tell some of you aren't all that interested in it either. So just... let's move on, shall we.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #809
Mari
Elf Lady

Asking someone how (s)he is and not really wanting to hear a real answer is just silly.

I hope things will look up for you soon though. And you have my permission to whack anyone who asks stupid questions. Will that help?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #810
Earniel

Thanks, Mari.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #811
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I HATE student instrumentalists, and beginning professionals. Goes for a lot of singers, for that matter.

If I send you an e-mail with your music, directions, times, etc. DON'T text me asking if you have to be there for the rehearsal (YES you stupid!!!!!!!), DON'T ask me where we're rehearsing (READ THE E-MAIL), and DON'T ASK ME WHAT TIME WE'RE REHEARSING. IT'S IN THE E-MAIL. IT'S. IN. THE. EMAIL. And for that matter don't make me track you down!!! One of the girls promised she'd let me know as soon as she knew if she could do it... week went by, texted her, said she still didn't know... another week went by and I texted her.... and she said, "Oh, yeah, I can do it." Which she had apparently known for a few days.

These are not supposed to be stupid people!!! They're supposed to be budding young professionals!!!!!!!!!!!! These are the kinds of things I expect, and put up with, from volunteer choir members.

I have had such a stressful day, and dealing with idiot musicians all through the day while I'm not even at work is absolutely the last straw.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #812
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Inconsiderate people are irritating

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #813
Mari
Elf Lady

People don't read their email. Students most definitely don't.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #814
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Inconsiderate people are irritating
Preach it, sister.

-Eärniel, who wonders if she can plead temporary insanity the next moment she comes across an inconsiderate person and loses her patience
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #815
Midge
Faithful Gardener

rawghr.... There are a lot of good perks to working from home, but one of them is NOT that your schedule is always the same (for instance, 9 to 5) and when you're done with work, you can forget about it.

This is probably what I hate most about this job.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #816
Earniel

Gah, this must be the first time I am so thoroughly sick of everything New Year that I'd happily scrap eveything and move to January already without all the fuss.

Head office that is its usual imcompetent self with cheerful dictatorial pressuring on the side. Hefty bills that need to be paid before new year. Lots of things that will be more expensive soon. I can count the people I can truly rely on on one hand. We have been working past midnight to clear the backlog created by an unthinking selfish coworker. Had a flat tire (it was brand new) and a broken bumper thanks to builders who didn't bother to heap their stones far enough away from road. Trying to get mum to stress less over the new year party she's hosting which means I'm stressing more because I try to lessen her load. What ever happened to parties that don't have to be perfect to be fun?! Last minute shopping that goes haywire. Family that can't make clear appointments. My cat who was out way past his curfew (which is always upsetting) and who came in looking like someone had smashed a door in his face. Luckily appears okay otherwise.

Grr, I am so done with 2011!

And if any of our neighbours even thinks about setting off fireworks before 8 PM, I will NOT be accountable for my actions!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #817
Mari
Elf Lady

Sorry things are tough for you Earn. I hope 2012 will be a lot better for you and your family!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #818
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Oh, that sucks Eärniel.
Battered and bruised maybe, but I hope you made it to January in one piece at least! With all that, I'd say the odds are pretty good that 2012 will be a better year for you
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #819
Earniel

Thanks. Well, I'm not sorry it's January.

First fireworks blasts came at 18.15PM (what is wrong with these people?!) but we anticipated such... bad manners and took the cats in at 17PM. But the dog across the street, man, I pity him. Must have been absolutely bonkers by midnight. I did spent a moment to hope that those early firework starters set their own roof on fire this year. (Vindictiveness is a habit hard to shake once acquired.)

It was obvious the town council had relaxed firework permits this years. I think a small fortune was sent up in flames into the sky in our neighbourhood alone.

Still, was very pretty firework.

Oh hell, I'll take it for a good omen that maybe this year somebody else gets to pay the bill while I get to watch and enjoy the light show.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #820
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I think a small fortune was sent up in flames into the sky in our neighbourhood alone.
Every year Norway has a big nationwide collection to some chosen charity - the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, etc - one Sunday in October. Collectors are knocking on doors, there are auctions, often the Government donates something, and the result is followed on TV during the day - millions are donated (even if you convert the amount to Euro or U.S. dollars).

I haven't checked recently, but for years the total amount matched fairly closely the amount we spent nationwide on fireworks for New Year's Eve.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote