Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2003, 12:54 AM   #781
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome to the thread Dreran the Green (I'm green too, since I am a tree!) I also thought Gandalf's scene was really well done. It was almost exactly as I pictured it, in terms of timing, and bookishness. Physically, I pictured the Balrog a bit differently (no horns or wings, the subject of many debates so let's not go there) but it was so well done I have no complaints. Gandalf is also very well played over all. Some people didn't like Gandalf the White's staff, but I only think he should have kept his old one because that makes more sense to me.

Cheers! |N|
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #782
Elf Girl
Lurker

When will this thread no longer be 'important'? It's been six months now.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 01:51 PM   #783
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Dunno but where's the 'extended TTT DVD cut' thread? There has to be one somewhere. I came back here to find out what was likely to be included?
Old 06-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #784
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
Dunno but where's the 'extended TTT DVD cut' thread? There has to be one somewhere. I came back here to find out what was likely to be included?
That would make a good new thread since a discussion of it here might be ignored by many.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #785
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
That would make a good new thread since a discussion of it here might be ignored by many.
True, but my point was I'm suprised there isn't one already, or if there is I couldn't find it.
This time last year we was all wetting ourselves over the FotR extended cut (until we saw it and had to endure more tom-foolery from the hobbits).
Old 06-08-2003, 02:44 PM   #786
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Anything TTT is important in this thread. I'm impressed how long it's been going on. I think it would be great if it kept going until RotK came out. But whatev, I doubt that's going to happen.

I don't *gulp* have the Two Towers DVD. I actually feel that the times I saw it in the theatre are good enough. If I had more money, I'd feel otherwise.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 06-08-2003, 02:53 PM   #787
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

I would like to pre-order TTT, but I haven't yet. I am trying to figure out if it would be better to just get the DVD when it comes out and wait the extra while, or preorder it. I think (depending on where you get it from) you would get a better deal with the pre order, but I'm not sure.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 03:07 PM   #788
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
It's just an example of how LotR fans aren't as happy with Jackson's movies as they were when FotR came out (which any old posters know I hated). If the obsessive behaviour was carried on into TT - then people would actually care when the Two Towers DVD comes out.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 03:38 PM   #789
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
It's just an example of how LotR fans aren't as happy with Jackson's movies as they were when FotR came out (which any old posters know I hated). If the obsessive behaviour was carried on into TT - then people would actually care when the Two Towers DVD comes out.
i dont get it. im happy with TTT, and i know when it is coming out on DVD. August 17. it came out of the 6th of August last year. they are making us when 1o more painfull days.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:55 PM   #790
azalea
Long lost mooter

There is a thread about the EE, it was started a while ago and kind of died because I guess there hasn't been any new info about what's going to be on it, as far as I know. I'll bring it to the top in case anyone would like to discuss it.

I guess we could release this thread from its "important" status at this point, but I'll wait until crickhollow gets back and see what she thinks. It won't hurt anything to leave it up here for a little while longer.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 04:42 PM   #791
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Not necessarily true - I see it more as a case of with FotR lots of us were chomping at the bit for years - with nothing before it to ease our wait.
With TTT we've already had FotR, so initial enthusiasm has waned a bit (not necessarily cos you don't like it, just cos 3 years of enthusiasm is basically impossible), and have the finale to come.

The trouble with the middle bit is, well, it's in the middle
Old 06-10-2003, 09:42 PM   #792
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Whens TT coming out on video?

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:01 PM   #793
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Aug. 26 and Nov. 17 for EE
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #794
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
thank you

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:27 PM   #795
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Over time, I've seen TTT probably a dozen times in it's entirety - now of course, I just skip to the bits I like.

I just thought I'd mention that there are some bits still that are so brilliant, so well realised visually and so well matched to the soundtrack, that they make me shiver even now.

I'm not a huge fan of the soundtrack as a standalone - FotR is better just to listen to, but TTT soundtrack as a soundtrack is almost perfect, and it's this that tends to give me the cues of 'perfection' in a scene.

Current top favourite 'shiver + amazing soundtrack' moments are (in no particular order):

- The whole Gandalf fighting Balrog start
- Gandalf and Eomer appearing at Helm's Deep ('Rohirrim - to the King!')
- The Ents deciding to go to war ('It is likely we go to our doom - the Last March of the Ents')
- The Ent battle ('A hit, a fine hit!')
- The start of Helm's Deep (while waiting, IE the build-up)
- Just before Warg battle (Aragorn and Eowyn parting)

Several things are curious - first is that they don't necessarily tie in with actual scenes from the film that I like (I can't stand the Warg battle for example), and second is none of them are anything to do with Frodo and Sam

But all in all I'm happy there's still bits I can watch and really feel as if I'm in Tolkien's world. Shame I can't say that about most of the film, but then again I've watched it to death
Old 06-25-2003, 04:44 PM   #796
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well, Frodo and Sam weren't the main characters in this movie, so this is understandable.

It did set RotK up well though.

(I don't like the Warg battle either, I think it exists to make up for leaving the battle the Fellowship had with Wargs before they reached Moria.)
Quote:
Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 AM   #797
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I've decided I like The Thirteenth Warrior better than TT. However, considering TT as part of the trilogy, I predict I'll end up preferring the whole LotR trilogy to any other movie.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:55 PM   #798
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I loved the 13th warrior! It was filmed in BC, my home province. Yes! I liked it because it was a great movie. Though I had some issues with TTT I still liked it better that 13thW. Despite its problems, it was still an awesome movie. It was bound to suffer a little as the 2nd movie in LotR's 3 parts.
Quote:
Old 07-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #799
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Nurvingiel, your message box is full so I can't PM you. You must be popular!
Have you considered joining the committee to edit the Entmoot Anthology? (in your spare time )
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #800
anarion
Enting

Location: Born in Lousiville, KY. Living in Laguna, Philippines
I loved TTT, and thought it was way better than the Fellowship.
Don't get me wrong, i loved both movies once I saw the extended version of the fellowship.
I just liked TTT more.
anarion is offline   Reply With Quote