Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #781
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, maybe it's better this way. This way you haven't already wasted more time and energy on a student that wants something else than what you are teaching.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #782
Mari
Elf Lady

*sigh* I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever get the hang of teaching teenagers. Up until they are 13/14-ish they are okay. After that I just don't seem to be able to handle them anymore And it's only week 2 of the schoolyear. So many weeks left to go

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #783
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Mari, that high school range is SO difficult. It is NOT just you. Kids are pretty horrible at that age in most cases... and (at least for me) it's a pretty crappy time in life. I hated my teens. I'm much happier being in my 20's than I ever was as a teen... or any point in my childhood for that matter...

So yeah... don't blame yourself. Teens are terrible.

*hugs*
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #784
Earniel

I was going to say the same thing, no one is able to handle kids above 14.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #785
Mari
Elf Lady

My colleagues seem to cope fairly well though
But thanks. I feel a bit better now actually.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #786
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i guess i'm starting to be of the age when the last grandparents are failing and the first aunts and uncles start getting and dying of cancer. and now that we've basically beat everything else in this society (apart from cars and alcohol, of course), cancer is what they're (and eventually we're) all going to die from.

one of my favourite uncles, who i used to love when i was a kid and we visited them in sweden when dad was running the stockholm marathon each year, died of cancer this morning. he had several different kinds. he was just over 60 years old, obese and the worst chain smoker i've ever seen. my granddad also died of cancer (leukemia) a couple of years ago, but he was 85 and in really good shape. that's probably why it took his damned heart so long to give up.

sorry about this not-so-jolly rant, just needed to get it off my chest. i'll be back with better news tomorrow (i promise).

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #787
Mari
Elf Lady

No need to be cheerful all the time, especially not when you just lost someone dear to you. My condolences. *hug*

Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #788
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*hugs*
Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #789
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'm awfully sorry to hear of that, Nerd.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #790
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

thanks, guys... *hugs*

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #791
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm really confused and not sure what to do any more. My parents, after seeing the opera this weekend, are both encouraging me to keep auditioning for the opera chorus parts... and I would love to, but this experience has shown me that I can't handle overloading on classes, working, AND doing the opera. My grades are biting it pretty hard and it's going to be a lot of hard work to pull off C's and B's at this point.

So I explained to them that the only way I could be in the operas would be to probably drag school out -another- whole year (graduate Fall 2013 instead of 2012) and skip summer school (because that's when one of the productions is) and their unanimous statement was, "You should do that."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. >.< I don't know what to do!!!!!!! I just want to graduate, but it probably would be a lot smarter for me to keep doing the opera chorus stuff... it will look good on a resume and there are various other benefits.

I'm so frustrated. On the one hand, I want to $%#()ing graduate already. On the other hand, what's my rush? I -love- my job singing in the church choir, I love my job working for the music director, I want to sing with the chorus, and I do well in my business classes but I don't enjoy them... so I'm not 100% sold that I'll enjoy working in an office when I do graduate.

On the other hand, I WANT TO GRADUATE ALREADY. >.< It's a little embarrassing to be 22 (almost 23) and have people constantly ask me, "When do you graduate?.... and you're how old now?...."
Old 10-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #792
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm 25 and I'm still studying. I know loads of people who are 27, 28, 29 and still studying. I wouldn't worry about age when it comes to graduating. Will your graduating add anything to your life at this point?

Good luck with making a choice!

NB: good to hear your parents are so supportive now.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #793
Earniel

It occassionally felt wrong to be still a student at 24, but at the same time, I was learning things! Learning things can't ever be wrong! Not even at 24 and being nearly the oldest in your class and having people ask why you're still there. (Been there, oh yes.)

And it's nearly impossible to get back into day-time school after you graduated and started working. So my advise would be, if you can stay another year (and that is important, 'cause after all it ain't cheap) and staying longer will allow your grades to be better and you not burnt out on everything, then stay.

Over here we have a saying that the student years will be the best time of your life. There's truth in that, I found. There are very good reasons to stop studying and graduate, but impatience is but a poor one, IMO. Don't let other people tell you you're too old to still be a student, only you can decide that.

Oh and .
Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #794
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Put me down with Earniel and Mari on this- it's relly hard to go back to school once you get a job and start making decent money enough to enjoy an independent life...of course, I'm old enough to remember things like 'jobs', 'decent money' and 'independent life'- you youngsters can ask your parents what those words mean.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #795
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Because I didn't have enough to do tonight after working and going to school all day, and coming home with assignments to finish.... my dog decided to roll around in her own stuff and then come running up to me.

I gave her a double shampooing but the smell isn't totally gone. I boiled her collar in hot water and that actually fixed the smell there.... but she still smells suspicious.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #796
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Aaaaaaaand the graphs we worked on last Friday for a project due tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. have mysteriously vanished. The word and excel files still exist, but the charts and pie graphs have vanished and no combination of the data I can find is making them come back to what they're supposed to be.

Worst. Night. Ever.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #797
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm so sorry to hear that!!!!

*Moothugs*

(ps - try putting a little white vinegar in the water to help with smells.)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #798
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Forgive me if I vent over the same old stuff all over again.

1. I hate that I'm 23, I've been in college since I was 16, and I'm about to extend my degree plan AGAIN. I'm going to be 25 when I graduate. I think about that every time I look in the mirror and it's driving me crazy. A nine year bachelor's degree. I'm seriously considering starting to lie and just telling people that I took two years off to work or something... but that's stupid.

2. I think I might fail statistics this semester. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around it. I'm trying my best.

3. My dad is still jobless, and it's really stressful. Coming up on six months, and he refuses to do anything to scale down the Cost of Living like cutting cable.

4. I don't have the time/opportunity to do the things I desperately want to be doing (practicing music, anyone?) and everyone seems to be demanding a bigger chunk of my time. My boss wants me to work more hours (which would actually be kind of great...), my classes are getting ridiculous, my friends are getting upset because I constantly tell them I can't hang out... Which is fine, but I hate them being angry with me. When I have time to practice, I'm never in the right environment. I either have to suck it up and practice when people are around (nothing as fun as cracking on your high notes or working new techniques when the guy who pays you to sing is one office over...), or I am not in a place where I can practice when I do have time.

In short, I have been feeling like an enormous, walking bundle of failure for about two weeks now and I can't seem to turn it around. I tried working up a schedule and figuring out when to practice/study/etc. but I'm exhausted all of the time... so I feel like I end up halfassing everything, or I try to follow the schedule and end up sitting in front of the piano or my text book staring off into space thinking about absolutely nothing because I can't focus.

Me and my First World problems. I always see a ton of homeless people at and around the church every morning when I go to and leave work, and it's nice to know that I don't have problems of that scope. But I still feel like crap. I'm not really in need of sympathy, but I wanted to vent.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #799
Mari
Elf Lady

Just wanted to note that many, many people who study psychology or even law over here changed their majors because they got stuck on statistics. That's probably because you have to connect text to numbers while must people are geared towards only one or the other.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #800
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I started as an Econ. major, and remember my Stats prof. looking at my resuls and suggesting "maybe you should switch to sociology".

I did worse (or better); went over to History.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote