Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #781
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

The night awoke.

Darkness descended on the camp as the fire faded to a small, crackling light, casting a faint veil on the companions lying all around it.
The cool air found its way to Quickleaf, making him slowly feel sleepier, his eyes shutting, and he lay to rest with his cloak cast upon his body.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 AM   #782
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim strode to the edges of the camp and unrolled his bed roll under a tree, he layed his sword next to him just incase.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #783
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The travellers all turned towards their beds while the Elves of Lórien held watch one last time. Early in the morning, the silvan Elves said farewell to Radagast, leaving behind their camp gear and supplies for the adventurers to use. They also promised to return in a month and close the entrance to Dol Guldur if Radagast and his companions had left by then.

The rains had stopped and a faint sun shone on the still damp forest. A cooking fire was lit to cook some breakfast and Radagast decided it was time to breach the subject of their presence in Dol Guldur.

"I know not many are very keen on entering this place, but I hope at least some will accompany me down. The sooner we find what we are looking for, the sooner we can turn our backs to this depressing place.

But let me first maybe refresh your memory on what we're seeking here. For those of you who joined us on our way and therefor never heard the full tale of our presence here, will no doubt have many questions.

Earthshaker here is a representative of the Ents, the tree-shepherds of Fangorn. Long ago their female counterparts, the Entwives, have disappeared in times of war. No one ever knew what became of them. Even Blossomshade here, the only entwife that we know of, doesn't know where her friends and family went or why she was left behind. All we know is that they went east to escape the war. But the East is largely unexplored and perilous at the same time. To search for the Entwives in the East without guidance is a pointless task that would take many life-times to complete. No one has attempted it with those odds.

But a few years ago some new information surfaced in Orthanc: correspondence between the wizard Saruman and the necromancer of Dol Guldur, on whose ruined fortress we now stand. Those writings indicated that Dol Guldur had a hand in the disappearance of the Entwives, something that was suspected by some, but never proven.

What it is they did, we don't know. Perhaps they followed the Entwives as they fled to the east to escape the war, or perhaps they herded them there and barred their return so they could never reunite with the Ents. I admit that much is speculation on my part, but since the discovery of Saruman's letters, I am convinced there must also be writings about the Entwives here, in Dol Guldur. And I hope those papers will give a decent bearing or location in the East where we can pick up the trail of the Entwives."

The wizard drew a scroll out of his pack and unfolded it. On it was an unfinished map of Dol Guldur's underground.

"As I have said before, I have explored some parts of the underground before and ruled out which areas we will not have to search. That at least will make our task easier. These parts of Dol Guldur are of no interest to us," he said as he pointed to areas on the map. "These are the dungeons, and here the night quarters. The corridors are marked. However to the north, not to far from this entrance, the archives are located and that's where we will go.

Judging by Saruman's correspondence, the writings about the Entwives were likely to be deemed important enough to be stored in a personal archive or study of the ruler of Dol Guldur. This will narrow matters down considerably. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find this place, only the viscinity where it ought to be located in the archive. Many eyes can search faster than only one pair, and that is why I have brought you here."
Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #784
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf had awoken early and made a short trip down to the near-by river, to clean his cloak and elven boots, take a swim and refresh for the day's journey to Amon Lanc. He knew not what lay ahead, but was intent on being prepared, both as a courtesy to Radaghast and to his companions who had so warmly taken him into their quest.

As the sun made a swift rise to the skies the wizard made sure to gather them all by the fireside, to elaborate on plans for the journey and the undergrounds of Amon Lanc.

The wizard spoke long, and slowly, but with clarity and Quickleaf's ears sharpened up as he heard the words on the correspondance between Sarumann and the necromancer, the Entwives and the known parts of the underground; Much of which was indeed new information to him and things that made his curiousity aroused.

While cleaning his sword Quickleaf looked up at his companions and spoke:
"While I have been reluctant to enter the underground, I have now decided otherwise. My experience beneath the floors of the forest, of the earth, beyond the reach of the sun, is indeed limited. I have only rarely ventured into caves and slits in the mountainside. But my eyes are keen, and my hearing that of a fox, and so if I am needed down there you can count on me."
Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #785
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

"Master Radagast." said Borin hefting his pack onto his back. "Let's have a look at those tunnels, shall we?"

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #786
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami sat and listened as the story was told. Nami had taken out a neddle and thread before Radagast had started talking. On the mention of the underground Nami's head had bent a little lower over the hole she was patching in her cloak, her eyes fixed on her work.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #787
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine listened to Radagast's words. This was not the first she had heard of the reason they were here. She was not keen on going into those caves, but, as she had told the wizard, she was willing to overcome her fear. She remained silent, letting Radagast continue his speech.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #788
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Radagast paused momentarily.

"If I may, Radagast, my friend. I'm sure more than a few of us are aware of what I'm about to mention. Castellans once guarded the entrance and interior of Dol Guldur." Ingwionis began to talk of the servants of Dol Guldur. "They were more or less 'animated' statues similar to the guardians of Minas Ithil, which became Minas Morgul. These Castellans were more or less wraiths garbed in armor similar to that with which Sauron wore in battle. Like the Nazgul, the Witch-King of Angmar could call the Castellans to service in a similar way. They look like statues on first sight, but they are more than mere statues. The element of surprise is a great resource in battle, and even greater was the Witch-King's use of it. No one would think twice about attacking these 'Castellans' as they appeared to be no threat. When Dol Guldur was laid to waste, the presence of these spirits was known by then, and so the attempt at taking down Dol Guldur wasn't just another fruitless attempt. Cleansing the spirits residing in and out of Dol Guldur was likely similar to the task of cleansing Minas Morgul. I'm not certain of the number of lost souls that guarded this fortress, but at one time the Witch-King would consider this place his home. Khamul, the Easterling, would reside here as well. After Angmar was ruined and the Witch-King driven from Arnor, pushing westward was difficult for Sauron until the plagues and the times of Dol Guldur. The Castellans most probably were all sanctified, but I feel that not all of the evil of this place has been cleansed. It's still a foul place no doubt. Dol Guldur was to Mirkwood what salt is to a garden. Not very much grew back here since. Other wraiths and creatures of darkness may or may not have survived. Under guard of silvan Elves, they'd likely be in hiding if they were here at all."

Realizing he was likely scaring some in the company, Ingwionis changed the subject. "So, Elyssa, that was most excellent soup. And a good breakfast to start off a wonderfully gloomy day at Dol Guldur! Radagast, I beg your pardon for my interjection. I just want to make sure we're ready if any of these things are still around here."

Ingwionis stepped back and sat back down.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #789
orithil
Captain Jack

"We should not worry about that" Hedrim spoke up "I am certain that there will be no problems" Hedrim said reasurringly "Now Radagast I think its time we got going, no time like the present"

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #790
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl had slept a little, eventually, after she was satisfied that the watch the Elves of Lórien kept was thorough enough and she was safe to do so. In the morning she had gone to the river to collect water, spotting Quickleaf returning as she did so, and had prepared herself for another day's travel and cooked a small breakfast. Only slightly overcooked this time, and that was an improvement. Tabrîl could imagine how they'd laugh at her in the hall if she ever managed to get home and tell that particular part of her tale.

She had just decided to go over and invite Abasi to play the Game again, to keep them occupied, when Radagast gathered the group together. Tabrîl listened attentively, but it seemed that the more she heard of this quest, the stranger it appeared to her. It did not matter, she supposed - what she should focus on now was this talk of Dol Guldur which, despite her initial warnings, they were heading back to.

Tabrîl wondered what would be expected of her there. She knew she would be of no help to them in finding the letters they sought, but those who did not fight would need protection from the shadows that lurked there, at least, and that she could offer.

She nodded as the elf with the look of the West about him spoke. 'The evil yet remains, but if we must go, we shall overcome it,' she said.

Last edited by Aikanáro : 05-16-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #791
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf cast off his cloak, the sun warming the skies, the air, the ground. He walked over to Nami and sat down next to her, looking at her as she mended her cloak.
"Come down to the underground with us. We need keen eyes and ears. I know you will overcome your fear."
Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #792
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa spoke up: "I don't mind going underground, but I'm not sure if I should come. I can take care of the camp, cook food, that sort of thing."

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #793
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"Let us not be hasty," Radagast said with a smile, "although your enthusiasm warms my heart."

"Ingwionis," the wizard went on, "you mentioned the Castellans, I would like to add something to that. Sauron indeed often used spirits trapped in statues to guard entrances and important objects. I would therefor advise everyone to look out for these statues, not just to be careful about them, but also because they may guard that which we seek.

I dare say they are likely to be powerless if not yet destroyed. Galadriel broke many dark spells when she laid bare the surface of Dol Guldur, and the passing of their lord will have bereft them of the power they received from him. But I say 'likely powerless', we should be cautious nevertheless, and it would be best, if you do come across such statues guarding rooms or doorways, that you call me and not approach them alone.

In that aspect, I don't want any of you to enter the underground tunnels alone. You must always be with one companion or more. Rúmil and his companions have prepared a good number of torches for us to use, make sure you always carry some reserves and some kindling should your torch go out. Here and there, light comes from the surface through shafts and holes, but many of the corridors are pitch black. And easy to be lost it. Therefor also leave a mark at the corridors that you go through, so you can find your way back.

But not everybody will need to go descend today. Searching Dol Guldur can take long, weeks possibly. And there will always be enough to do above ground. The Elves have left us supplies but we are a large group, so food will have to be gathered or hunted. The camp and camp-fire will have to be watched.

So who volunteers to go underground today? And who will see to the camp?"
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #794
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami's eyes remained fixed on the hole she was fixing, she only briefly waved her hand around a bit as she spoke, "We have keen eyes and ears enough in the group, i am not the only elf here!" If Nami appeared sharp and defensive she didnot mean to, but she had made her mind up, come hell or high water she was not going down there. Nami had overcome fears in her life what was one outstanding fear of the dark to harm anyone? Quickleaf could do as she would, Nami's eyes were staying firmly in the sun.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #795
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

"I volunteer master Radagast."said Borin.

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #796
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf smiled knowingly.. Of course, he'd much rather stay overground than down beneath in the shadows of the world. But something told him he should go down, seek it out, experience it..
"It's your choice Nami, but the times we find strength is the times when we challenge our fears, and extend our courage to greater strides and harder tasks. And I would like it if you came with me"
He glanced over at Nami, finding her eyes, trying to make out what went through her mind.

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 05-16-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #797
orithil
Captain Jack

"I shall come master Radagast, if there are still traps down there I could recognize them, and if there is fighting to be done, then I most certinly should come with" Hedrim said

Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #798
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"And what Quickleaf, would be so great about me that you must experience the great unknown dark with me where another may do as well. There is no shame in guarding the home fires."
Nami quickly looked up, catching Quickleafs searching look. A dark memory from Nami's almost forgotten childhood flashed in her minds eye. Closing her eyes briefly and shaking her head she turned about to her work.
"Leave the dark with the past, i have no need to bother it."

Last edited by feawen : 05-16-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #799
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf blinked twice at Nami and gave out a faint sigh.. It was obviously going to be difficult to change her mind, so Quickleaf let the matter rest and pulled out his bow to tighten its string. One thing he was sure of though, and that was that he had to confront his fears, deep down in the trenches of the black earth.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #800
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Putting her cloak on the ground, with the work still unfinished, Nami pushed her self up off the ground. Nami know the memory too well, how could anyone understand it. Where they saw the dark as a challange to over come Nami saw different. Walking straight past her bow with out a second look Nami walked off in to the woods in the hope of losing her self for a while if not losing the memorys in the process.
Closed Thread