Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #781
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oh, I can't believe it! I'm a total ass! I used the wrong letters! *bangs head against keyboard* Better to ignore this first try, folks. I just realised I switched the 'l' character with the 't' character in the beginning of the first sentence just because it reminds me of a 't' in normal writing. I probably did it further in the text also. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Kill me now, please.

Sorry, just ignore it, I'll get up a correct one tomorrow. And I'll see if I can't scan it a little more readable but it's rather difficult to get it small enough to fit into an attachment.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:53 PM   #782
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ah-HA! I couldn't figure out the first word! That explains it now

It's still lovely, tho! Since you told me what the first line was, I would only note that the word "are" is typically written with the silent-e dot under the 'r' tengwa, instead of with an 'e' over a carrier after the 'r'.

Keep it up! I"m looking forward to your corrected submittal

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #783
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelÃ*rë Mistë
Arien- I know Quenya mode.
Cool! this is what I came up with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg names.jpg (9.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-20-2003, 05:49 AM   #784
Earniel

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
It's still lovely, tho! Since you told me what the first line was, I would only note that the word "are" is typically written with the silent-e dot under the 'r' tengwa, instead of with an 'e' over a carrier after the 'r'.
Is it? I didn't know some vowel signs were written under other letters. I always assumed they all went on top. I must remember this.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:56 AM   #785
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

That's beautiful, Niel! I wish I could write that nice, which reminds me, I have to write something and scan it. All you guys have seen is my 'digital' Tengwar.

[Edit] Yeah, they do, Niel. You can also use a line underneath the Tengwar to indicate a doubling of a consonant, use a wavy line above one to signify an /n/ or /m/ sound just prior, or an /s/ curl beneath one. *Gets out beloved Tengwar folder beneath piles of books* I've missed ye, my preciousss!

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-20-2003 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:58 PM   #786
Earniel

Mmm, there seems to be a lot more to writing Tengwar than I initially thought. Where did you get that info? Is it in LoTR or any of the HoME books? I'll apparently have to look into Tengwar a lot more then. Anyway, I redid the little text. I hope it's clearer now, I wrote it a little bigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tengwar.jpg (9.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #787
Elf Girl
Lurker

It's all in the Appendices. At least, that's where I learned it.

The only vowel that goes under the letters is the silent-e-dot, and that's for English only. (Assuming that English is the only language with silent e's.) It goes under the letter before the silent e.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:56 PM   #788
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Check out the first post on this thread - I added a link to the 2 sites on the subject that I liked the best.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-23-2003, 07:55 AM   #789
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Those are my favourites too. You may also want to look at the Tengwar Textbook for some practice. Good luck! Tengwar is fun, and you get to see others' interpretations of the same phrases, like RÃ*an mentioned before.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:57 AM   #790
Earniel

Meh! I AM a total ass! I found the silent 'e' thing in the appendices, I even wrote it in my notebook but I stupidly forgot to look if there was anything written on the backside of the page when I was reviewing Tolkien's comments on tengwar. *hits herself for stupidity*

Links, links... ah I see them. I'll put them in my favourites for now and I'll have a look at them when I got a little more time.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:58 PM   #791
Rían

Linaewen - thanks for the link - it looks good! I'll echo Eärniel's "I'll put them in my favourites for now and I'll have a look at them when I got a little more time."

Old 01-26-2004, 07:04 AM   #792
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli Accurate Tengwar Writin' Help

Does anyone know if there is an accurate Tengwar...uh...table, or something that equates the characters to sounds accurately for use as a Sindarin Elf? I know that there are alot of elves out there, and I was just wondering. I downloaded some stuff from some site, but it doesnt totally match with the stuff in the ROTK appendix (Which I cant really figure out anyway, I always get confused). I am trying to learn to speak and write in elvish (my wife even thinks its cool-he he!), but I want to do it right. Any links or help explaning the appendix (to someone with no Language Major or education beyond high school) would be really cool.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #793
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

You may try this site: Tengwar Guides if it isn't the one you've already tried .....
Old 01-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #794
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

Thanks, Artanis, that site helped alot, actually. I appriciate it.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #795
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

here's another site i've used... has a downloadable windows font:

Amanye Tenceli

this site has an extensive pub on variations:

pubs

this site has a online transcriber (not translator)

transcriber
Old 01-26-2004, 06:43 PM   #796
Elf Girl
Lurker

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=5568
Old 01-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #797
Rían

Hi, Beor, and good luck, it's lots of fun! I started a thread about writing English Mode Tengwar, which is what I like to do (then you don't have to learn another language, you can just use English, and you can write all sorts of cool things that no one around you can read - heh heh!) The appendicies, IIRC, are English-mode Tengwar. Follow the link Elf Girl gave you if you're interested.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:08 AM   #798
Rían

Just thought I'd post and bump this thread back up to the top - we have a new Tengwar writer - Beor!

Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #799
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Just thought I'd post and bump this thread back up to the top - we have a new Tengwar writer - Beor!
RIAN!!! you're back and well I hope!
Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 AM   #800
Rían

Getting there, thanks I'm not on the Moot very often, yet - still recovering - it was a 5-hour surgery, and I have lots of stitches! *pops another Vicodan*

Closed Thread