Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2001, 08:54 PM   #61
Johnny Lurker

Explain to me this...

How do you think that China will have more attention drawn to their human-rights injustices by the Olympics? Don't you think they'll keep an even tighter lid on things while the athletes are in town?
Old 07-21-2001, 09:08 PM   #62
Darth Tater

Re: Explain to me this...

Yeah, and as I've said before, they have a habit of turning off broadcasts they're not happy with. We may end up missing large chunks of the olympics because of someone in the crowd with an anti-Nike shirt! I mean come on, this is outrageous
Old 07-21-2001, 09:23 PM   #63
webwizard333

Bu they won't be controlling all the broadcasts. And this will force them to be "kinder" to their people.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:28 PM   #64
Darth Tater

Sadly I think you'll be proven very wrong
Old 07-21-2001, 11:00 PM   #65
noldo

I DO think the broadcasts will receive a somekind of international immunity preventing the Chinese goverment to intervene.

The map I showed earlier wasn't made by me, I found it from a magazine I bought from Newark.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:35 PM   #66
Johnny Lurker

noldo, webwizard333...

Look at the historical precedent.

This is the country that undertook to censor the entire incoming and outgoing Internet.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:52 PM   #67
merry linger

darth i think its nieve to suggest that your own country has no such censorship/bias over broadcasting...i mean the fact that your sentiments are so blatantly anti chinese tells me all i need to know about the media's portrayal of China in your own country - obviously a very negative one!

and as far as all those poor labourers working for pennies a day to make those stadiums - well i spose they could just go back to whatever united states corporation owned factory that they were working in before for (i'm sure) similar amounts of money...

as for human rights - i know its a touchy subject and at the risk of opening some serious cans of worms one should look to his/her own backyard first before passing judgement on the state of someone else's...

my own conspiracist theory on the reasons for Beijing getting the olympics?

i do believe that the ioc has given the olympics to beijing to spite the US - since George W. Bush has become president US foreign policy has become completely self absorbed, upsetting many western european countries and others on the international stage, particular to do with its stance on global environmental policy reform...

i think this is a good move and if nothing else will force the US on the most pragmatic of levels to be more sensitive to global opinion...

its our world too y'know...
Old 07-22-2001, 12:29 AM   #68
juntel

"i mean the fact that your sentiments are so blatantly anti chinese"

in case this remark is for all of us who expressed concern and disaproval of the ioc vote...
... be sure that our "sentiments" are about the chinese government, and not the people.
Otherwise that wouldn't make much sense: we do care about the people, and the non-respect of human rights that we deplore are against that very same people, by their government.

And of course, there is the case of Tibet... but the above offense against the chinese people is sufficient to make me doubt the wisdom of having China host the Olympics at this moment.

Or course, in our "backyard" we do find cases of human rights violations, in the past as well as in the present. But I can go in the streets here in my country and shout about these violations (or what i think may be violations) without being arrested, tortured and shot to death without much of a chance to defend myself.
This is because, in part, my country isn't a Military Dictatorship, which China is.

So let me ask an hypotetical question:

If South Africa, during the years that it still had the Apartheid regime, had bid for hosting the Olympics and won, would you consider this beneficial for the blacks in South Africa at that time?
Do you think it would have been ok to give that government the O. games, thinking that the media coverage and the attention would help the native south africans' cause?
Would Nelson Mandela have saluted from his prison such an "award" from the IOC?

Of course, the situation in south africa was about racism, which is clearly not what's happening in china... but nontheless... In one case you are oppressed for the color of your skin, and in the other you are for the "color" of your ideas.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:04 AM   #69
Johnny Lurker

merry linger...

Looking to my own back yard... let's see... We had the APEC scandal here. Pepper spray. Apparently, some guys got dumped outside city limits by cops in Saskatoon, too. That one got us on Amnesty International's hitlist.

Anti-Chinese? You make me laugh. Ha ha ha. I despise the Chinese government because it has dedicated itself to oppressing and killing off my Chinese kinsmen.

[Edited because I spelled your name without the space]
Old 07-22-2001, 10:16 AM   #70
easterlinge

Re: merry linger...

Chinese kinsmen? Johnny Lurker is a Swarthy Easterling (probably of a different hue)?

No way I can tell.....

Sigh.... until recently I thought Eruve was a guy :*, and Inoldonil was in his mid-twenties (I was impressed by the way he tackled Michael Martinez), and some other things....

Old 07-22-2001, 06:58 PM   #71
Johnny Lurker

Chinese kinsmen...

By which I meant the Church in China. Our connection transcends skin colour.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:22 PM   #72
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Chinese kinsmen...

Whatever their religions, they still deserve the respect any human being should have. They won't have it, the chinese governement won't change.

Don't you remember that in this part of the world, the governements are a little stubborn???
Old 07-23-2001, 10:02 PM   #73
juntel

a little stubborn...

now where is that pic of the students in front of the tank when i need it...
Old 07-24-2001, 01:37 AM   #74
Shanamir Duntak

:lol: