Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2003, 02:55 PM   #61
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
Yah (about the sexual indou/PG13 thing)..... I just have to make my point. I (personally) need the PG13 thing to stay as good as it isbecause one time my mom walked in on me. One time I was reading one post that had a death-smilie in it (when people where joking around and saying what they could do to Jonathan, one person had a death smilie kinda thing). My mom walked in and saw it, and had a hairy. She said that if she saw anything unapproprite or of the sort again, that I would be banned from entmoot (for good). I know that the other people have a right to discuss what they will (so long as the mods/admins let them), but I was just stating that........ yah.
Ok LoR, I'll be good in future.........honest

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #62
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Ok, I might have seen some inappropriate things during my time at Entmoot, but I never thought that someone could find a smiley inappropriate. Not even a death smiley. I wouldn't hesitate to use a death smiley myself.

To take away the liberty to use any smiley you want, would be a little drastic.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:02 PM   #63
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I don't think so.......I see a lot of differnce between a thread centered around semi-naked pictures and innuendo that breaks out between 'mooters in other threads. Let me ask you a question......if you had an 11 yr old daughter and you found her browsing that website.........what would you do?
I would be mor upset by some of the conversations found on the swimsuit calandar thread and between you and baby-k. The thong pictures aren't anything that you can't see on a European beach - and New Jersey's beaches when there are a lot of European vacationers. Also - I don't recall anything on the Jona-thogn thread which was overly sexual like some of your conversations. Mostly all it was asking people what they're favorite month was.

Quote:

But doesn't make any sense........you could just as easily establish a connection through IM or E-mail.......therefore that reason makes PM totally redundant.
Yeah - it does - because Pm is for making quick comments to a fellow mooter - not to have drawn out conversations.

Quote:

I could, but after the hate-mail I recieved following my post's in the Iraq thread.......I prefer the annonymity the PM system affords (I know that many 'mooters don't wish to/aren't allowed by their parents give alternative contact detail either).
yeah - well some people are idiots. I get spam too, but I still use e-mail. There is always the delete button.
Quote:

Like you said tho', it's up to Ben.......he's paying for this party. Mebbe we should all buy a sweater from the Tolkien Trail Shop!
When Tolkien Trail closed down for a short time and was possibly going to be closed for the rest of the month over a year ago - I bought a shirt and mug to try helping out.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #64
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Ok, I might have seen some inappropriate things during my time at Entmoot, but I never thought that someone could find a smiley inappropriate. Not even a death smiley. I wouldn't hesitate to use a death smiley myself.

To take away the liberty to use any smiley you want, would be a little drastic.
Some parents are really strict. My cousins - even the one who is 20 years old and in college - has time limits on AOL. Luckily he doesn't have restrictions other than he can't be on it past 11:00 or beyond a certain number of hours. But still.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 03:07 PM   #65
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I would be mor upset by some of the conversations found on the swimsuit calandar thread and between you and baby-k. The thong pictures aren't anything that you can't see on a European beach - and New Jersey's beaches when there are a lot of European vacationers. Also - I don't recall anything on the Jona-thogn thread which was overly sexual like some of your conversations. Mostly all it was asking people what they're favorite month was.
Like I said, it's not the posts I have trouble with.........it's the site it's linked to, you may be happy with having 11 yr olds viewing that kinda stuff.......I'm not, hence if I were playing admin, I'd close it.

Quote:
Yeah - it does - because Pm is for making quick comments to a fellow mooter - not to have drawn out conversations.
So it's for saying "hi, I'll email you now?"

Anyhoo......I'm wasting too much time here, SGH asked for opinions to give GM a springclean, and I gave mine.

Beatallica
Old 05-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #66
jerseydevil

Quote:
Like I said, it's not the posts I have trouble with.........it's the site it's linked to, you may be happy with having 11 yr olds viewing that kinda stuff.......I'm not, hence if I were playing admin, I'd close it.
Like I said - what is on the site isn't anything more than you can see on a European Beach. It's a lot less than what you can see in Victoria Secrets. So I think you just have a problem with the person who put it together - but that hasn't been any secret.

Quote:

So it's for saying "hi, I'll email you now?"
No - but it's not for extended conversations.
Quote:

Anyhoo......I'm wasting too much time here, SGH asked for opinions to give GM a springclean, and I gave mine.
That's good.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #67
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Coney, the PM system is convenient also for members to contact admins off the forum. That is how everyone gets their custom titles. Also, if a member has a complaint about something, either about another poster or staff member, the PM system works well.

JD, as for the Jona-Thong website, the only problem I see concerning it going beyond a PG-13 rating, is the pic of Jonathan and Ruinel. That's a little hairy, I'd say.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #68
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
I know what you mean. I think she was over reacting too, but I don't really blame her because so many things have been happening to young girls who meet people over the internet. So I guess that she was just being safe, and I don't blame her, even though I think she was over reacting.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:29 PM   #69
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Like I said - what is on the site isn't anything more than you can see on a European Beach. It's a lot less than what you can see in Victoria Secrets. So I think you just have a problem with the person who put it together - but that hasn't been any secret.
I already said that no offence was intended to Jonathon..........I've certainly nothing against him.

Quote:
Coney, the PM system is convenient also for members to contact admins off the forum. That is how everyone gets their custom titles. Also, if a member has a complaint about something, either about another poster or staff member, the PM system works well.
Seems I've been using it for the wrong purposes then :/

EDIT: haha.........I've just remembered you designed it didn't ya JD? ............no it's nothing personal, for a while I thought Jon and Ruinel had designed it as a joke

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 05-17-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:32 PM   #70
azalea
Long lost mooter

Ruinel, I tried to make it clear in my posts that I am NOT pointing fingers. I was merely making an observation about why some people aren't posting in the Tolkien forums, and I think the same thing happens here. The impetus for my first post was that Coney commented on the closing of redundant threads, and I got off topic (it would have fit better in the Decline thread) in my reply. The other day a newbie made a post in one of the more serious threads, and someone responded in a very rude way. Hopefully he or she will come back, but not everyone enjoys posting when they're getting stuff like that said to them, and being "tough" about it is beside the point. People come here for enjoyment, not to be derided.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #71
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
JD, as for the Jona-Thong website, the only problem I see concerning it going beyond a PG-13 rating, is the pic of Jonathan and Ruinel. That's a little hairy, I'd say.
I agree it's slightly borderline that picture. it doesn't show anything. The picture was obtained from a swimsuit catelog - if BoP used the sites that I had supplied for that picture.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 03:35 PM   #72
jerseydevil

Quote:
EDIT: haha.........I've just remembered you designed it didn't ya JD? ............no it's nothing personal, for a while I thought Jon and Ruinel had designed it as a joke
Okay then. No Jonathan had no idea what I was working on. There were a number of people involved with the project - Ruinel was just one of the others. BoP did the pictures.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #73
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Okay then. No Jonathan had no idea what I was working on. There were a number of people involved with the project - Ruinel was just one of the others. BoP did the pictures.
I was wondering why yer were defending it so vehemently

To be honest, this and the decline thread are starting to get a bit worrying.............It's obvious that after these things are being discussed the 'moot is going to change, one way or another. I've got a feeling that a lot of the current posters are going to leave, wotever the outcome.

Ho hum............these kinds of things happen all the time with messageboards......I wonder who'll be left?

Not important, just thinking out loud

Beatallica
Old 05-17-2003, 04:10 PM   #74
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I was wondering why yer were defending it so vehemently

To be honest, this and the decline thread are starting to get a bit worrying.............It's obvious that after these things are being discussed the 'moot is going to change, one way or another. I've got a feeling that a lot of the current posters are going to leave, wotever the outcome.

Ho hum............these kinds of things happen all the time with messageboards......I wonder who'll be left?

Not important, just thinking out loud
Coney, this thread was made for the purpose of letting me and other mods see how the members felt about thier community, and to give us an idea of what is agreeable to the majority as far as moderating. It was not created with an intent to make any drastic changes to any of the forums. I just wanted to see the thoughts of the members about things that have been happening lately, and mostly in GMs. I also thought it would give them a chance to stand in the staff's shoes and see how hard it can be sometimes to make the decision to close a thread, and hope everyone doesn't hate you afterwards.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #75
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Coney, this thread was made for the purpose of letting me and other mods see how the members felt about thier community, and to give us an idea of what is agreeable to the majority as far as moderating. It was not created with an intent to make any drastic changes to any of the forums. I just wanted to see the thoughts of the members about things that have been happening lately, and mostly in GMs. I also thought it would give them a chance to stand in the staff's shoes and see how hard it can be sometimes to make the decision to close a thread, and hope everyone doesn't hate you afterwards.
Oh right, I thought you were using this thread to give an idea of how the 'moot should actually be changed

*breathes sigh of relief*

*puts away plans for a final spam-fest*

Beatallica
Old 05-17-2003, 04:38 PM   #76
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Ruinel, I tried to make it clear in my posts that I am NOT pointing fingers.
*sigh* {Maybe I should have said nothing and let all of this play out and just gone to some other board until the smoke cleared. I don't know.} I didn't say that YOU were pointing fingers. Ok. No harm intended.
Quote:
...and I got off topic (it would have fit better in the Decline thread) in my reply.
Heaven forbid. <----- this is a joke! See a joke!
Quote:
The other day a newbie made a post in one of the more serious threads, and someone responded in a very rude way. Hopefully he or she will come back, but not everyone enjoys posting when they're getting stuff like that said to them, and being "tough" about it is beside the point. People come here for enjoyment, not to be derided.
I think that is horrible!!! I hope the person who made the post was joking and didn't mean to be rude.
I know sometimes I post some dry humor and forget to put in a couple of smilies to show I'm joking. (I'm working on that also. ) It's easy to take a post full of text the wrong way. I hope you are right, that they come back.

SGH: I would sincerely hope that the members of the Moot understand that you are only doing your job and would not hold any of that against you.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:43 PM   #77
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
SGH: I would sincerely hope that the members of the Moot understand that you are only doing your job and would not hold any of that against you.
Well, yes, Ruinel, but unfortunately it doesn't always turn out that way, but you can't keep everyone happy, I guess.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #78
azalea
Long lost mooter

Most people here were friendly toward me or indifferent before I became a mod. Then shortly after that I saw what it was like to have people practically actively disliking me for doing my job. It was quite an eye-opener. I bet it's how a cop feels -- some people see your title and there's an automatic feeling of animosity towards you, because of the rebellion factor or something, I don't know. I even had a thread made about me saying I wasn't a good mod because of my thread closings. When that happened I imagined I knew how CBG used to feel sometimes!

And Ruinel: sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I thought some of that was directed at me. Apparently I was mistaken.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #79
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Ha ha ha! CBG, could have cared less if they were mad at him. He was soooo taterish.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-17-2003, 05:09 PM   #80
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Ha ha ha! CBG, could have cared less if they were mad at him. He was soooo taterish.
He still is when he occasionally posts in the various music threads

That guy was a good mod.........everything was certainly black and white when it came to his judgement (well, in the few months I knew him anyway)

Beatallica