Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2003, 07:16 AM   #61
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
well who cares what he wears on stage. it has nothing to do with his ability.
hey you mentioned it not me... as for my personal opinion i think that Chilli Peppers are just wannabe hardcores and end up looking like wankers, if wearing a jock strap on stage is his form of rebelling then i suggest he does something with a bit more depth like getting up on stage and tearing up a bible (best performance ever by MM)
anyways back to guitars...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #62
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
hey you mentioned it not me... as for my personal opinion i think that Chilli Peppers are just wannabe hardcores and end up looking like wankers, if wearing a jock strap on stage is his form of rebelling then i suggest he does something with a bit more depth like getting up on stage and tearing up a bible (best performance ever by MM)
anyways back to guitars...
Maryln Manson has become the mickey mouse gimmick show of goth metal. ripping up a bible on stage is entertaining? play some damn music. petty little shock shtick is easy. and not art. Flea sometimes wears a jock strap (or nothing at all) because he's a goof ball. Not to rile up the teenage crowd by being bad or cool. But his music is all that matters. And he knows that. and people buy their stuff because of their music and their talent not because of an image or because of a jock strap. and as for being wanna be hardcores well do remember that the chili peppers have been making their eclectic form of music since what you now call hardcores were still in grade school. Funny how a band thats been playing a unique fusion of high energy punk and rock and rap and funk since the mid 80s can be catagorized as wanna be follwers of music that didnt really exist when they were making this very same music. pretty ironic and amusing.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 04-22-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:09 PM   #63
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes, I still remember (with pain) somewhere in late 81 or early 82, the Red Hot Chili Pepers played "The Vogue" nightclub in Indpls. Of course, I would have gone except I worked (late) that night. My roomate came home in a frenzied lather, she had so much fun dancing to their wild beat! Grrrrr!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:31 AM   #64
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
ripping up a bible on stage is entertaining? play some damn music. petty little shock shtick is easy. and not art.
sorry my fault... it was entertaining because all these king dicks in the Christian hierachy had a whinge and he wasnt allowed to open for Nine Inch Nails (they gave him $10000) and i think he was a tad pissed off so Trent Reznor invited him on stage and he tore it up... anyway i thought it was great and that was the reason they couldnt play and damn music
Quote:
But his music is all that matters. And he knows that. and people buy their stuff because of their music and their talent not because of an image or because of a jock strap.
Ok but being able to perform and making good music are different things and the Chilli Peppers suck... Marilyn Manson takes music to a different level because his music has meaning and is still awesome as...
Quote:
Funny how a band thats been playing a unique fusion of high energy punk and rock and rap and funk since the mid 80s can be catagorized as wanna be follwers of music that didnt really exist when they were making this very same music. pretty ironic and amusing.
have you even heard there new album??? thats nothing like how they started out and to be quite honest its ****... Marilyn Manson is one of the only musicians out there at the moment that has any talent... i was meaning with the wannabe hardcores that they try to hard to look cool and crap so whats that got to do with the fact they were making music before Marilyn Manson?
Old 04-23-2003, 07:25 AM   #65
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I like MM's band (on the few songs I've heard) They have a great beat! His "vocal stylings" do nothing for me, but that band has got a cool sound.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:20 PM   #66
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Red Hot Chili Peppers trying to be hardcore is a ridiculous statement... their music has always been rock mixed with funk.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:46 AM   #67
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I agree.

Anyone said Kurt Cobain yet? (I havn't read the whole thread.) He's quite good.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:04 AM   #68
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Red Hot Chili Peppers trying to be hardcore is a ridiculous statement... their music has always been rock mixed with funk.
idiot read my post...
Quote:
i was meaning with the wannabe hardcores that they try to hard to look cool and crap so whats that got to do with the fact they were making music before Marilyn Manson?
i am talking about there IMAGE not there MUSIC!!!!
Quote:
I like MM's band (on the few songs I've heard) They have a great beat! His "vocal stylings" do nothing for me, but that band has got a cool sound.
thats exactly how i started out liking MM... his music (minus the lyrics) drew me in because of the wide range of instruments he uses... the song that really started me liking him was Lamb of God off his last album Holywood, it isnt a heavy song which was why i think i like that the most...
Old 04-27-2003, 12:09 PM   #69
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Kurt Cobain the guitar player isn't great by any means man.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:16 PM   #70
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
idiot read my post...
I read it before I posted my message and I must say I was blown away by the depth of your post.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:48 PM   #71
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

The Chili Peppers are a very talented band; Flea is an amazing bassist, I don't see how anyone can see that. As for they're image....they don't have one! They are all about music. They don't care about they're image. I don't have anything against Marilyn Manson, though. I think he's good, and he speaks the truth. All I'm saying is that image isn't everything.

Quote:
Kurt Cobain the guitar player isn't great by any means man.
I agree Kurt Cobain wasn't a great guitar player, but he was damn good at writing songs.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:52 PM   #72
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar

Anyone said Kurt Cobain yet? (I havn't read the whole thread.) He's quite good.
While I wouldn't class Mr Cobain as one of the greatest technical guitar players of the age............his music does make the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

So yep, if I had to choose 20 great guitarists/bands cd's to take on a desert island...........the greasy haired little plucker would be amongst them

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:52 PM   #73
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Les Claypool is probably my favorite bassist
Les Claypool is great. I love Primus.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:43 PM   #74
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Ok but being able to perform and making good music are different things and the Chilli Peppers suck...
what an ignorant statement that was. i can rattle off song after song after song the chili peppers have made that were incredible songs and oozing with talent in both writing and instrument playing not to mention in the rare ability to fuse types of music into something unique and not just the same old crap. they will never, however, match an album like blood sugar sex magic because the band make up is different now and the level of writing talent has been marginalized unfortunately (which is why their most recent album was so disapointing). Nevertheless they are still fantastic live and the inovation that have come up with in the past almost 20 years has been almost without parallel in popular music including your little friend marilyn.

Quote:
Marilyn Manson takes music to a different level because his music has meaning and is still awesome as...
well if you can make blanket ignorant statments about the chili peppers then i can do the same for manson which is a group i feel has basically become the puff daddy of goth rock. Copy cat shtick with little inovation.

Old 04-27-2003, 10:16 PM   #75
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by FoolofaTook
The Chili Peppers are a very talented band; Flea is an amazing bassist, I don't see how anyone can see that. As for they're image....they don't have one! They are all about music. They don't care about they're image. I don't have anything against Marilyn Manson, though. I think he's good, and he speaks the truth. All I'm saying is that image isn't everything.

I agree Kurt Cobain wasn't a great guitar player, but he was damn good at writing songs.
great post. exactly 100% what I would have said myself. And yes Cobain was an average guitarist but he was a brilliant brilliant writer and creator. an unparalleled talent.

Old 04-28-2003, 04:18 AM   #76
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
in the past almost 20 years has been almost without parallel in popular music including your little friend marilyn.
hahahahaha your calling me ignorant. i wasnt going to bring up popularity but my little friend Marilyn Manson slaughters RHCP in popularity stakes
Quote:
what an ignorant statement that was. i can rattle off song after song after song the chili peppers have made that were incredible songs and oozing with talent in both writing and instrument playing not to mention in the rare ability to fuse types of music into something unique and not just the same old crap.
ummm ignorant because i think the Chilli Peppers suck and you dont??? in my opinion RHCP have 1 good song and that is Under the Bridge...
Quote:
well if you can make blanket ignorant statments about the chili peppers then i can do the same for manson which is a group i feel has basically become the puff daddy of goth rock. Copy cat shtick with little inovation.
your right that was incredibly ignorant am i supposed to respond to that as you said yourself its just an ignorant statement if that is how you feel well please tell me where they lack innovation... Manson is a genius and his albums are all written and composed for different reasons and none are the same message or sound to them (they dont differ in RHCP way were one album people are full of appraise for them the next album is absolutely ****) people buy his albums because each one is original and it isnt like buying the same album with different lyrics... I might add that his single mOBSCENE came out today and it is just another factor worth mentioning that i love, not only does he experiment with different instruments but in this one he merges in cheerleaders singing (he also did this for I dont like the drugs cept they werent cheerleaders...
Quote:
I read it before I posted my message and I must say I was blown away by the depth of your post.
well if you are gunna comment on something i said why dont you actually take a few minutes before you post, just to think about it
Quote:
yes image is not everything but it is something and if Chilli Peppers dont have an image then that tells you a lot about there music... Marilyn Manson has an image built around his music and performance and well him... the fact that RHCP dont have an image is saying to me that they are dull and boring (and many other things which i wont say)

anyways for all of you MM-lacks-innovation people i suggest that you listen to HolyWood and his new album (coming out May 9th for aussies) the Golden Age of the Grotesque (www.grotesqueburlesque.net) as i have had the great mis-fortune of watching some crappy DVD of RHCP's and listened to there new album (and some other trash aswell) so its only fair
Old 04-28-2003, 05:41 AM   #77
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You know what? They both suck.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:41 AM   #78
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
hahahahaha your calling me ignorant. i wasnt going to bring up popularity but my little friend Marilyn Manson slaughters RHCP in popularity stakes
ah so then your argument is that popularity should be the level by which you judge creative talent? By that measure then Brittany Spears and the back street boys are like 10,000 times more "talented" then Manson. Be very careful how you base the logic of your arguments slick.

Quote:
ummm ignorant because i think the Chilli Peppers suck and you dont???
No ignorant because of the kinds of statements you make like the one above this and because you said "Ok but being able to perform and making good music are different things and the Chilli Peppers suck..."

Quote:
in my opinion RHCP have 1 good song and that is Under the Bridge...
Yep thats a good song. And definitely a good example of their unique creativity. Along with Soul to Squeeze, Otherside, My Friends, Give It Away, Breaking The Girl, Around the World, Aeroplane just to name some of the better known ones. And congrats for saying "in my opinion" this time that makes it cool.

Quote:
your right that was incredibly ignorant am i supposed to respond to that as you said yourself its just an ignorant statement
Yer not. Yer supposed to get my point about making blanket ignorant statements no matter who its about. Understand?

Quote:
people buy his albums because each one is original and it isnt like buying the same album with different lyrics...
wait are you saying thats what chili pepper albums have been like? all the same sound?

Quote:
yes image is not everything but it is something and if Chilli Peppers dont have an image then that tells you a lot about there music...Marilyn Manson has an image built around his music and performance and well him... the fact that RHCP dont have an image is saying to me that they are dull and boring (and many other things which i wont say)
So you are now arguing that image IS important and not just the music and the artistic talent? Then why did you say the opposite earlier? And give me musical talent any day over fabricated image. Give me some no name shmuck who can play the crap out of his instrument and put together highly complex compositions rather then someone who breaths fire on stage to get the teenie boppers excited. Image is a bubble. Talent is whats real. When you spend six hours puting make up on before a concert you are riding on image.

Old 04-28-2003, 07:44 AM   #79
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
You know what? They both suck.
as usual yer half right bop

Old 04-28-2003, 07:24 PM   #80
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Quote:
ah so then your argument is that popularity should be the level by which you judge creative talent? By that measure then Brittany Spears and the back street boys are like 10,000 times more "talented" then Manson. Be very careful how you base the logic of your arguments slick.
Hahaha!

Quote:
So you are now arguing that image IS important and not just the music and the artistic talent? Then why did you say the opposite earlier? And give me musical talent any day over fabricated image. Give me some no name shmuck who can play the crap out of his instrument and put together highly complex compositions rather then someone who breaths fire on stage to get the teenie boppers excited. Image is a bubble. Talent is whats real. When you spend six hours puting make up on before a concert you are riding on image.
I couldn't agree more.