Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:00 PM   #61
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Wow, this is weird... Me and the other BoP (BF) were just discussing this the other day... It's funny how some people think there is this HUGE PC conspiracy theory going on, and how they're trying to regulate the world, and make it impossible to make certain gibes, and yet, WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE??? Have you ever met them? Are they as common as the conspiracy theorists would have you believe? I dunno... Speaking for myself, I have yet to meet a 'feminazi', or a PC liberalist, etc.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:08 PM   #62
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Wow, this is weird... Me and the other BoP (BF) were just discussing this the other day... It's funny how some people think there is this HUGE PC conspiracy theory going on, and how they're trying to regulate the world, and make it impossible to make certain gibes, and yet, WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE??? Have you ever met them? Are they as common as the conspiracy theorists would have you believe? I dunno... Speaking for myself, I have yet to meet a 'feminazi', or a PC liberalist, etc.
I've met them. They think that anything that is possibly offensive to anyone should be outlawed.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #63
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I have yet to meet a 'feminazi', or a PC liberalist, etc.
Yeap. Quite a few. I used to work with one.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:12 PM   #64
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I think they are almost all working on university campuses preaching to each other. some have good ideas but some have gone too far no doubt. a few have made it out into the corporate world to make draconian rules about how to talk to females in the office and such. but mostly the "real" world (outside the academic) is too watered down for them to really take mind control type domination. dont worry. beats the hell out of the climate in the 50s though. just make jokes about em and yer fine.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 12-01-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:41 PM   #65
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I'll have to agree with IR. While I don't doubt there are a good number of political-correctness nuts in the "real world," by far the majority reside in the hallowed halls of academia. Unfortunately they happen to have a tremendous influence. They used to be a force to be reckoned with in the early days of PC, but anymore they are derided as kooks and no one really takes them seriously.

Still, their ideas did catch on and it seems we'll be stuck with them at least until the whole "PC generation" dies off.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
Old 12-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #66
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Good God! imagine a world where you cant offend someone!
what is the world coming to?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 12-02-2003, 12:27 AM   #67
jerseydevil

Here is an example of PC gone bad too...

Quote:
Boy punished for talking about gay mom

LAFAYETTE, Louisiana (AP) -- A 7-year-old boy was scolded and forced to write "I will never use the word 'gay' in school again" after he told a classmate about his lesbian mother, the American Civil Liberties Union alleged Monday.

Second-grader Marcus McLaurin was waiting for recess November 11 at Ernest Gaullet Elementary School when a classmate asked about Marcus' mother and father, the ACLU said in a complaint.

Marcus responded he had two mothers because his mother is gay. When the other child asked for explanation, Marcus told him: "Gay is when a girl likes another girl," according to the complaint.

A teacher who heard the remark scolded Marcus, telling him "gay" was a "bad word" and sending him to the principal's office. The following week, Marcus had to come to school early and repeatedly write: "I will never use the word 'gay' in school again."

A phone message left for Lafayette Parish schools superintendent James Easton was not immediately returned.

The ACLU is demanding the case be removed from Marcus' file and that the school apologize to the boy and his mother, Sharon Huff.

"I was concerned when the assistant principal called and told me my son had said a word so bad that he didn't want to repeat it over the phone," Huff said. "But that was nothing compared to the shock I felt when my little boy came home and told me that his teacher had told him his family is a dirty word."
I could have put this in the Gay and Lesbian thread and the teachers that DESERVE criticism in the "ratemyteacher.com" thread. This is completely ridiculous. The child wasn't even using gay in a deragatory way. As I said - if you look for offense around every corner - you will find something offensive. Because of Political Correctness - the school made this boy feel ashamed of his family - where obviously before he had no problems. I wonder how many people he will tell about his family now or if he will think twice about opening his mouth.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-02-2003 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:20 AM   #68
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
It's funny how some people think there is this HUGE PC conspiracy theory going on, and how they're trying to regulate the world, and make it impossible to make certain gibes, and yet, WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE???
Yes, it's odd that.

I have met some people like that, but I've met about a hundred times as many people who think it's all right to use words like "paki" and "faggot" pejoratively.

As ever, the knee-jerk majority are the quickest and loudest complainers.

The question is not what the intention is behind what we say, rather it's how people perceive it.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:44 AM   #69
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer

As ever, the knee-jerk majority are the quickest and loudest complainers.
I was wondering who the "knee-jerk" majority is. I think the problem is the people who want to regulate speech.
Quote:

The question is not what the intention is behind what we say, rather it's how people perceive it.
If you're going to be constantly afraid of how someone is going to perceive something you say and may be offended - then you might as well not say anything. It's more important about the meaning behind your words - then what someone is going to think you mean by them.

As I have said repeatedly - people would think I was completely racist against Indians if they heard how my friend Trish and I joke around. I don't care if others are offended really by the way we joke around with each other.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-02-2003, 05:56 AM   #70
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Would you still joke around in that way if there were a group of Indians sitting at the next table?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:10 AM   #71
jerseydevil

Quote:
Would you still joke around in that way if there were a group of Indians sitting at the next table?
Yes I would - because we do joke around all the time. I would still ask her if she can stop the dancing - because we've been getting too much rain and other comments - even on the reserve. Contrary to what you or others may think based on the uproar on the sport team mascot names - most indians do NOT care. Trish and I have rerpeatedly talked about this. They, themselves, have a Redface gas station on the reserve.

Would Europeans stop calling us Yankees because many of us find it offensive? I doubt it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-02-2003 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:39 AM   #72
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Well, if you don't care about offending people, that's your lookout.

I see, yet again we come back to those Europeans. You are obsessed, man.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:59 AM   #73
Sween
im quite stupid

If women didnt want me to look at there boobs they wouldnt wear such low cut tops
Old 12-02-2003, 08:04 AM   #74
jerseydevil

Quote:
Well, if you don't care about offending people, that's your lookout.
No - I wouldn't purposely offend someone, but joking around with a friend is different. What is more important is the INTENTION of your words. In addition, there used to be a rhyme "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". Seems like too many people have forgotten this and gotten thin skinned. Everyone is too busy looking for offense.
Quote:

I see, yet again we come back to those Europeans. You are obsessed, man.
I'm not obsessed - my comment about Europeans calling us Yankees has a direct bearing on this discussion. You said you should look at how people are offended - not the intended words. But the term Yankee offends MANY Americans. It is often used now as a deregatory term in Europe for Americans and has been for years.

If you are so concerned about offending - I would hope you would watch what you say about us and our president. You can't just pick and choose who you don't offend. Well you can't if you truly believe the stuff you spew out anyway.

I just remembered this case too. A guy was brought up on sexual harrassment charges at work. He was discussing a seinfeld episode with a co-worker. it was the episode where Seinfeld has gone out with a woman - but can't remember her name - and the only thing he knows is that it sounds like a body part. At the end of the show - he remembers and screams her name out the window. It ends up rhyming with a vulgar name for a female body part. The woman overheard him in the office and filed sexual harrassment charges. I guess by your attitude - this is perfectly acceptable for him to lose his job because someone overheard something they found offensive. Well - I don't. it wasn't directed at her, it was not meant as insulting, or as a put down.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-02-2003 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:25 AM   #75
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

yep, the p.c. crowd hasn't a thick bone in their back!
I'm not p.c. and have always paid the price albeit grudgingly at times but at least I can live with myself.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:29 AM   #76
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Why is it that black people can use the N-word but anyone else who does is racist?

Why is if a white person even remotely suggest a Black is to blame they have to resign?

That's bulls***.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #77
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Why is it that black people can use the N-word but anyone else who does is racist?

Why is if a white person even remotely suggest a Black is to blame they have to resign?

That's bulls***.
They had a huge discussion about this on MTV or some other station/show with rappers. They wanted to defend their use of the word while claiming whites have no business using it. I agree though - it is bulls***. We are now restricting word usage based on ethnicity.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-02-2003, 08:44 AM   #78
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

It has been said "California is the land of fruits and nuts". I agree.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:52 AM   #79
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
It has been said "California is the land of fruits and nuts". I agree.
I forgot about that one. And I agree with you on agreeing with it. I lived in California and my sister lived there for several years. I think it's mostly LA and San Francisco that is strange though - especially LA.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-02-2003, 08:56 AM   #80
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Those two cities make "the twilight zone" seem like a reality show.
Closed Thread