Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2003, 06:39 PM   #61
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
excuse my dumb question(s) but Galadriel was Arwen's grandmother correct? Since her mother was Galadriel's daugther? And therefore kin (by marriage) to Aragorn right? And Arwen was technically the niece of Aragorns ancestor right? ok ive confused myself again...
Not quite sure where along the lines Aragorn fits in to all that, but he does. He would have been related to Elendil who was related to Elros Right? Elros was Elrond's brother. Have I managed to confuse you more? I have me.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:44 PM   #62
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Not quite sure where along the lines Aragorn fits in to all that, but he does. He would have been related to Elendil who was related to Elros Right? Elros was Elrond's brother. Have I managed to confuse you more? I have me.
No no thats right! Yes which means that technically Arwen is distantly related to Aragorn. they are like cousins 50 times removed. oh wait thats gross...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:10 PM   #63
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

It's not gross, it's even perfectly legal to marry your 2nd cousin, and if not, at least your 3rd cousin. But this question was resolved in a different thread: Aragorn and Arwen, incest? .

Anyway, Aragorn isn't a half-elf, even though a distant ancestor was, indirectly, or something.

Would Arwen and Aragorn's children be half-elves, or how about 1/4 elves?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:06 AM   #64
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I believe Arwen was no longer reckoned among the Elves when she chose to marry Aragorn. The same goes for Elros, Aragorn's ancestor and brother of Elrond, who chose to become as a mortal Man. This means that both Aragorn and Arwen were counted as Men, and their children would be among the race of Men as well.

Of course the descendants of Arwen would inherit the qualities of her 'Elven blood', which was a major point to why her marriage to the King of Gondor was of great importance to the history of Men.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:40 AM   #65
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
It's not gross, it's even perfectly legal to marry your 2nd cousin, and if not, at least your 3rd cousin. But this question was resolved in a different thread: Aragorn and Arwen, incest? .

Anyway, Aragorn isn't a half-elf, even though a distant ancestor was, indirectly, or something.

Would Arwen and Aragorn's children be half-elves, or how about 1/4 elves?
Hey dont get me wrong. If Liv Tyler was my 2000 year old cousin Id take her to bed too. I mean shes an elf! And her dad is a rock star! (no not Elrond you fool). And believe me if you knew me better youd never accuse me of worrying about such silly moral conundrums when it comes to something like that .

But this brings up an unrelated issue which I have been encountering a lot lately. Have we (you all) talked about everything middle earth related already? I see more and more people responding with links to old threads and telling people shut up weve talked about this already twice before. Could we have exhausted middle earth?? I hope not.

Old 01-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #66
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I don't think that discussion of Middle-earth will ever be exhausted. Afterall, there are people new to these books everyday. So the discussion will go on and on, even if the veteran readers have discussed things over and over, We're always willing to help out the newbies.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-24-2003, 03:08 PM   #67
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I didn't mean to shush you, I was just pointing to you to that thread if you wanted loads of people who are currently talking about that subject. And they are still talking about it, so Middle-earth is definately not exhausted.

Plus, you question caused me to think about Arwen and Aragorn's children, which might spark even more discussion! I know I'm excited!

Cheers N~
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-24-2003, 04:39 PM   #68
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
We're always willing to help out the newbies.
Except when it's about Tom Bombadil, Balrog wings, and Elf ears...
Old 01-24-2003, 04:43 PM   #69
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
That's exactly right BoP.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-24-2003, 05:39 PM   #70
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
see now i REALLY wish i had been here when the fur was flying over Tom Bombadil. I could have thrown some punches in that one. shame. but Sister GH and Nurvingiel I appreciate your comments. And I didnt even realize that thread was still alive. I always assume they are long dead. But I do worry every time i write a message uh oh the regulars (who somehow have every thread ever discussed memorized for some strange reason....) will tell me this has been brought up before. I even do searches sometimes but I usually just get a million references and get bogged down reading them. So bare with me if i start some thread like HEY THIS TOLKIEN CHAP HES PRETTY COOL! or YOU MEAN THERE ARE OTHER BOOKS AFTER THE HOBBIT? or something.

Old 01-24-2003, 08:15 PM   #71
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

IIRC, the moderating policy for that is: if a topic has been discussed within the last six months then any new thread on the same topic will be closed and the thread starter will either be given a link or directed to do a search. It isn't like breaking a rule or anything. It happens. When it happens the thread just gets closed. That's all. No biggie.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-28-2003, 09:57 PM   #72
dragonlilly
Sapling

Nazgul children and time weary elves

it only seems right that elves no matter how fair should with the ages become weary or even hoary in appearence

The Silmarillion Of The Begining of Days it reads
" For the Elves die not till the world dies, unless they are slain or waste in grief( and to both these seeming deaths they are subject); neither does age subdue their strength, unless one grow weary of ten thousand centuries..."

i also remember reading (though i don't remember exactly where) that the numbers of elves do not decrease.
if that is so then the number of children are controlled some how?
is that fair? i mean didn't Elrond have three children? then who gets none?

Last edited by dragonlilly : 01-28-2003 at 09:59 PM.
dragonlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:09 AM   #73
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

If that's the case, then maybe new children are born when other elves die or 'retire'. In a bajillion year life span, I'm sure Elves don't mind waiting half a bajillion years to have kids.

It seems that Elves don't have kids very often.

I wonder if there's a big difference in the age of Elf siblings. By brother's a year younger than me, is Arwen a thousand years younger than Elladan or Elrohir, for example?
Quote: