Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2002, 12:55 AM   #61
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
I don't know why Haldir brought a message from Elrond. Shouldn't the message be from Galadriel?
Just a shot at this one, but maybe Elrond sent messengers to Galadriel in Lothlorien and she sent troops to Helm's Deep. Yeah... I'm reaching.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:07 AM   #62
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, there *was* that whole telepathic sequence between Elrond and Galadriel.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:27 AM   #63
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Well, there *was* that whole telepathic sequence between Elrond and Galadriel.
I thought they were side by side! *ducks from the bearded trousers*

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:02 AM   #64
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Okay I've seen the movie twice now, and on my second viewing i made sure i watched Gandalf's feet. I might not be the best judge, but while looking through my tear-blurred eyes i was sure those things on his feet were NOT trainers. They were probably some strange sort of wizard shoes!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 02:42 PM   #65
middleEarthStar
Sapling

HAHHA

YES!!!

I also saw Gandalf with trainers!!! When he moved Saroman out of King Theoden!!!!! that was funny!!
Old 12-31-2002, 03:07 PM   #66
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

okay, I will quote myself here...

Quote:
The one about Gandalf wearing 'trainers' (I hope that means sneakers?!' is not right I think. I know that during the scene when you first see shadowfax running up the hill, his shoes look a lot like sneakers. But then during the scene at Edoras, when Gandalf hooked arms with Legolas, he is wearing white leather mocasin (sp?) slipper things. I think that these might just have looked like sneakers because of the angle we see him during the shadowfax scene. (The slippers do lace up with leather string stuff, wich might have looked ike shoelaces)
Sorry folks, Gandalf is not wearing trainers/sneakers. As squinteyedsouthener said, Saruman is also wearing them, and what are the chanced of Ian and Christopher buying the same pair of shoes. Also, after all PJ said about attention to detail, it is unlikely that they would let the wizzards wear sneakers.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:00 PM   #67
Melkor Morgoth
Sapling

Gandalf

I saw the movie the day it came out but I thougt wizards wore boots not trainers/sneakers,anyway Pj would not allow it.

Last edited by Melkor Morgoth : 12-31-2002 at 04:04 PM.
Melkor Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:05 PM   #68
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

if peter jackson is as good as retaining information as he is water, this thread would be non-exsistant. god i love that man.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #69
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

I also wondered about the colour of Legolas' eyes thing. I figured they were brown when he was in "Normal" Mode, and they switched to contact Electric Blue when in "Super Elvish Far-off Vision" Mode. Who knows, perhaps he just got lazy about it on set. ^_^

On the mistakes theme, I came home from seeing TTT still thinking about what wonderful treatment each character received, even the minor ones, and then wondered what happened to old Bilbo Baggins! He was in Rivendell with the Elves, and they did not show him leaving with them for the Grey Havens when they all trotted out in the night swinging their lanterns and looking like some occult sect. So....where is Bilbo??!?!?!?
Old 01-03-2003, 05:02 PM   #70
AngieBaggins
Hobbit

I thought Bilbo left with Galadriel and Elrond at the end of ROTK?? I'm pretty sure that's it.

She looked over the hall way doors, and noticed him there. It was odd, for she had never met anyone like him. And she never expected she would again.
AngieBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 05:29 PM   #71
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Hey you know when Elrond tells Arwen about what will happen if she stays in middle earth, and it shows Aragorn being dead and Arwen living on for ever young, walking through forests and crying by his tomb etc? I thought if she stayed and married Aragorn she would lose her immortality and die like him?
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 05:33 PM   #72
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvedans
Hey you know when Elrond tells Arwen about what will happen if she stays in middle earth, and it shows Aragorn being dead and Arwen living on for ever young, walking through forests and crying by his tomb etc? I thought if she stayed and married Aragorn she would lose her immortality and die like him?
That is what I thought too! Iin Fotr when she hands Aragorn her little necklace thingy, they make it sound like she is giving up her immortality for him! I do like that scene, even if I don't like Arwen!

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-03-2003, 09:17 PM   #73
azalea
Long lost mooter

That's right, she does die, but only after Aragorn has died first. I guess they changed it in the movie to illustrate Elrond counciling his daughter on how grievous her life will be if she makes that choice, but no, it doesn't make sense to me when he says she'll live on, blah blah. I think he's just talking about after Aragorn dies, but it isn't made clear that she too will die, although they made a point to make that clear in FotR.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:33 PM   #74
LuthienTinuviel

ok, i got paid today, so went and saw TTT twice in a row.

Legolas' eyes do not change colour. He has dark blue eyes, they made it an unealrty blue, seeing as he's an elf. when is eyes are not in the light, they look just as black as his pupils, esp. in the scene where the peasents of Rohan are getting ready to fight. In the sunlight, or lightning flash, or bright light, they regain thier blue colour.

Gimli does drop SOMETHING. And it's bugging me to find out what.

Not only do some elves dry-shoot thier bows, but when Aragorn and Theoden ride out of the tower, the last two guys to follow them down the ramp are just swinging thier swords at invisible Orcs.

Gandalf is not wearing Trainers.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:35 PM   #75
eowyngirl14

Arwen Undomiel

So, will Arwen age? Or will she stay looking like she does in the at the point at which the books take place in years to come? These elves, always so confusing... can't get anything straigth...

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #76
LuthienTinuviel

Gollum

legolas' quiver keeps switching sides too, but you never know he may take it off at night and put it on differently in the morning...
but it bugses us anywaysss
Old 01-03-2003, 11:10 PM   #77
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
ok, i got paid today, so went and saw TTT twice in a row.

Legolas' eyes do not change colour. He has dark blue eyes, they made it an unealrty blue, seeing as he's an elf. when is eyes are not in the light, they look just as black as his pupils, esp. in the scene where the peasents of Rohan are getting ready to fight. In the sunlight, or lightning flash, or bright light, they regain thier blue colour.

Gimli does drop SOMETHING. And it's bugging me to find out what.

Not only do some elves dry-shoot thier bows, but when Aragorn and Theoden ride out of the tower, the last two guys to follow them down the ramp are just swinging thier swords at invisible Orcs.

Gandalf is not wearing Trainers.
What Gimili drops looks a lot like a black or dark blue or green hat to me... but there is no logical reason as to why he was carrying it in the first place! No Gandalf is not wearing sneakers/trainers for the thousanth time! Invisible orcs, interesting concept, I didn't notice that mistake!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-04-2003, 12:39 AM   #78
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I've seen the movie twice now and I hadn't noticed any mistakes. I notice things like the horses running down that hill which is too steep and the horses which should be impaled by spears when the riders are charging the Urak-hai. One thing that does make me laugh, at the beginning when Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn are running, Legolas nearly falls over.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:41 AM   #79
Andartholin
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
They were stone-trolls; I think that all trolls but Olog-hai turn into stone from sunlight.
That's right Olog-hai were bound under Saurons will under sunlight and could endure it
Andartholin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:06 AM   #80
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Actually I was wondering about Arwen.

My memory on all this is hazy, so a re-read may be the order of the day.

But, it's occurred to me that she didn't possibly become mortal.
Her death could have been simply through grief.

As for Arwen giving up her immortality, well, in the film this could be the scene where Frodo is dying by the river bank. That 'my grace pass to him' scene, which apart from it's cringing awfulness, is never properly explained. Then as pointed out, in theory she gives up her immortality when she gives the jewel to ARagorn. So she gives it up twice. Or not at all, since in TTT she appears to outlive Aragorn who dies at about 200 years old.

Weird eh?

Also, from what I recall, doesn't Arwen technically give up her place in Valinor for Frodo? I'm sure I recall somewhere Tolkien making a comment on this.

So, until I re-read, I've got the sneaking suspicion that Arwen never became mortal, and merely died from grief over Aragorn.

Feel free to prove me wrong, cos this is really bugging me now the more I think about it!