Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2002, 07:58 PM   #61
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by GRONK!!!
GRONK hopes your kidding about the encyclopedia.
Your hope is ill founded and false.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:01 AM   #62
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I've just read the Valaquenta. I'm nearly there!!

Wow, I need some suport but I'm going to finish it, and understand it if I have to read it 999.999.999.999 times!!

Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:26 AM   #63
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

I found the Silmarrillion quite boring, but i liked the Third Age bit at the end (i read it ages ago, so excuse me if i get it wrong!)
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #64
Arcala
Elven Warrior

Actually I think the Sil was a good book, if a bit boring in the beginning. Maybe you should try reading it some more!!
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:27 PM   #65
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcala
Actually I think the Sil was a good book, if a bit boring in the beginning. Maybe you should try reading it some more!!
Yep, the first time is a toughy. Second time is good, and third time is a charm.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #66
gandalffan2525
Enting

all the names are so alike that i keep getting them confused (ie:fingolfin, finarfin, finrod felagund) but i'm (or should i say gandalfan2525 is?) starting to get it that almost same name=family, oh well, back to the book *frowns in consentration*
Who is X?
click here-->Dagorhir!
"I will personally strangle the next person who refers to ents as 'those talking tree things'"
gandalffan2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:51 PM   #67
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

My trick the first time was to skip the background stuff and jump right to the coming of the Elves. Later I went back and read the parts about the Maiar and Valar.

I wish he had done a new twist on the Eriol/Aelfwine character and given us the Silmarillion in the manner of Lost Tales. My past altering wish is this:

that Bilbo travels to Rivendell after leaving the Ring with Frodo. He is working on his book, but much of the time is spent listening to various elves (who we now know by name) tell the tales out of The Silmarillion. In the middle Frodo comes and goes off on his adventure, then we hear about the world of Men and the Fall of Beleriand. By the time Frodo returns all the stories in The Silm are told and Bilbo naps in the place where stories are told, occasionally telling stories. Then the Bard of Gondor... Oh me and my fantasies. It would have been an easier read, I tell ya.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:59 PM   #68
Maedhros
The Tall

You mean the famous Translations from the Elvish?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:08 PM   #69
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
Ok, I've just read the Valaquenta. I'm nearly there!!

Wow, I need some suport but I'm going to finish it, and understand it if I have to read it 999.999.999.999 times!!

GO BLACKBOAR GO! RAH RAH RAH!! *throws boar-shaped confetti*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:42 AM   #70
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The embarassing thing for me is, even though I am reading the Sil for a second time, I still have trouble remembering who is related to who. Ok, I'm going to try now to name all the F names (no cheating): Finwe had Feanor, Fingolfin and Finafarin. Fingolfin had Finrod. Finafarin had Fingon. I'll have to see if I am right.

Edit: Close, but Figolfin had Fingon and Finafarin had Finrod. More studying to do.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 01-09-2003 at 12:49 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:26 AM   #71
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, I've read the Sil many times, and I still have problems keeping those F's straight The only memory trick that has helped me is Fingolfin (the only one of Finwe's sons that has a 'g' in his name) had sons with g's in their names - Fingon and Turgon.

Now be sure to edit the first geneology table in the Sil to fix Gil-Galad's parentage

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-09-2003, 01:51 AM   #72
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
The embarassing thing for me is, even though I am reading the Sil for a second time, I still have trouble remembering who is related to who.
Oh man, I'm DOOMED. I had trouble with the "F" names when reading the Sil, so I've been making a concerted effort to try and them straight while reading the Lost Road and trying to incorporate them... But they're all wrong. Aaaahhhh!

I *did* manage to suss out Gil-Galad's parentage though.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 01-09-2003 at 01:53 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:23 AM   #73
Rían

And I just finished The Lays of Beleriand where they were .... SWITCHED AROUND!!! ......

*runs off screaming*

Old 01-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #74
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Does the Encyclopedia of Arda document the names correctly? What are your opinions? I suspect it is something of an RPG resource and includes some material that was made up by writers for the Iron Crown Enterprises' MERP system. For instance, they claim to have the names of the Blue Wizards.

But despite that, and from my limited knowledge, their elven family trees seem to be accurate.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:16 PM   #75
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Which encyclopedia of arda?

I'm aware of at least two.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:24 PM   #76
Blackboar

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
GO BLACKBOAR GO! RAH RAH RAH!! *throws boar-shaped confetti*
Lol!! I think pig-shaped confetti would would be cool!!

The Arda encyclopedia I've got is one by Ted Smart.

I love it!! It has really good illustrations, painted ones!!

It has loads and loads of really detailed maps of Arda in all the ages and all the seperate continents in all the ages
Old 01-10-2003, 05:32 PM   #77
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Cool. I'll look for it!

I meant the one online, the one that loads so slowly. It has elven family trees. I wonder how accurate they are.

Does your printed Arda Encyclopedia have elven family trees? That would be so useful.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #78
Blackboar

It has practically everyones trees, before the actuall encyclopedia actually starts it says loads of suft, it sums up the Silmarillion, talks about the creatures of ME and its geography, then it has a person dictionary where it sums everyones personality up and important parts in there life in tH, tS and LotR.

I really love it
Old 01-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #79
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

OK, I'm jealous. I can't find it at Amazon or by searching for Ted Smart and Arda and Encyclopedia. All I get is this pretty cool slow loading website.

Who is the publisher? What is the printing date?

thanks.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #80
Blackboar

Tolkien-the illustrated encyclopedia

Written by David Day

Publisher=Ted Smart

Just felt like doing it propaply