Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2002, 05:35 AM   #61
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
Oh wait, I see. Frodo was trying to grab the Ring to put it on, and Sam grabbed his hand to stop and comfort him
It might be the bit where they see the High Nazgul emerge from Minas Morgul at the head of his army.

Oh, and PS, Gandalf really looks like "Saruman as he should have been"!

Last edited by Dunadan : 10-03-2002 at 05:37 AM.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:07 PM   #62
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
My guess is that Faramir takes them to Henneth Annun where he learns of the Ring, and then he offers to lead Frodo as far south as he can (Osgiliath) before they part.
That would work. As long as Henneth Annun is still in, it works.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:39 PM   #63
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Henneth Annun is in the film. I remember reading an interview about the majestic set they constructed for it... you know, getting the whole waterfall going and everything.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:43 PM   #64
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Henneth Annun is in the film.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:18 PM   #65
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Woohoo! Now if they only manage to squeeze in a shot of Sam splashing his ears....
Old 10-13-2002, 12:30 AM   #66
peregrintook
Sapling

Treebeard what's all this about ent legs?

So, I hear we've got ent legs on the trailer!

K, give me a location, I want to see this!
peregrintook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:01 AM   #67
Kalimac
Enting

RE: New Trailer

You can download or watch the trailer from the official site or from this location (you must have Quicktime installed). About half way through the trailer you'll spot Merry running, he'll be scooped up by an Ent.

Two Towers Trailer

Still images of Merry and Ent legs:

Merry Running

Last edited by Kalimac : 10-13-2002 at 10:03 AM.
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 12:52 PM   #68
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Gollum

the new trailer is AWESOME!!!!! i've watced it 6 times already.

yay gollum is here! he looks so cool! an his voice is even better!
Old 10-13-2002, 06:29 PM   #69
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Did anyone pick p on the "he is not coming back" thing?see,aragorn doesnt come back to rivendell,arwen goes to minas tirith.also,i thought the double meaning of "there is still hope" line was pretty clever.get it,Estel:hope?

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:50 PM   #70
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

If you haven't seen the trailer in high-res, you don't know what you're missing. I downloaded it off aintitcoolnews.com just so I could get it a day earlier, and the quality isn't that good. Last night I downloaded the one off lordftherings.net and the difference is night and day. Sure the official one is much larger, but it's well worth it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #71
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

ummm

where do you get this trailer?

there are no dumb questions... really.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:55 AM   #72
Sween
im quite stupid

Farmir will take them to Osglith. How do i know this. IF you go to the official site and look at there screen shot analysis it says that that 1 of the shots is the ruined city of osligath
Old 10-16-2002, 06:47 PM   #73
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Re: ummm

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
where do you get this trailer?

there are no dumb questions... really.
Here's the official site: http://www.lordoftherings.net/two_to..._trailer1.html

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:47 PM   #74
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I actually did have this trailer already (very cool!)

For some reason, I thought you meant a different one than that.

Righty then...

Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 02:09 PM   #75
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Hello - it's cute avatar man returning after long absence.
Stumbled across the new trailer and.....

Well, parts of it look good, parts of it look great and parts of it look 'kin amazing.

After the rather weak teaser clips at the end of FOTR this is what I needed to get my enthusiasm for the film back up.

But, and I'm not about to start a flame war (since most of us by now have accepted how things are with PJ's 'interpretation')...

This clip proves to me once and for all that PJ isn't really that bothered about staying true to the Tolkien story.

He's made changes, fair enough, none of us would have expected a direct translation. Compression of events would be a major thing (eg combining Dunharrow and Helm's Deep - fair enough), but it's the fact he changes little things as well for no reason that bug me.

EG Faramir taking Frodo and Co to Osgiliath. Hello? Exactly HOW far out of the way is that? Can't remember my maps off the top of my head, but we are talking hundreds of miles. Twatty.

More examples are evident all over the place.

Having said that, as a FILM, I'm looking forward to it massively

But I still think there is space, in the future, for someone to do the 'definitive' Tolkien version of Lord of the Rings. I'm guessing we are talking maybe 20-30 years in the future though. Reasoning?

The one thing LotR needs to play out properly is TIME. Even with 9 hours+ devoted to the films here, it's horribly compressed. Which means the only place with enough space is Television (don't groan, look at things like Band of Brothers for how the sheer amount of time you have to play with helps). And we need a long time before technology is advanced enough for something like this to be affordable.

My only fear then would be they had the time, they had the money, and they still mess it up.

Oh well.

BTW Hope you all appreciate the Requiem for a Dream music in there - I was suprised (to say the least) it was in, but at least the music is better than (what was it?) the second FotR trailer with music not from the final film. That was awful...

Off to watch the trailer again frame by frame - I want to see the gates of mordor properly this time
Old 10-18-2002, 07:10 PM   #76
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
...But I still think there is space, in the future, for someone to do the 'definitive' Tolkien version of Lord of the Rings. I'm guessing we are talking maybe 20-30 years in the future though. Reasoning?

The one thing LotR needs to play out properly is TIME. Even with 9 hours+ devoted to the films here, it's horribly compressed. Which means the only place with enough space is Television (don't groan, look at things like Band of Brothers for how the sheer amount of time you have to play with helps). And we need a long time before technology is advanced enough for something like this to be affordable.
Ther are parts I would have liked to see included. I'm waiting to see the extended versions to decide if it really needs remaking. I just finished reading The Council of Elrond and my estimate puts the full version at cose to an hour . I would have liked to see the hall of fire, though.

I though mini-series would be a good format (suggested this for the Silmarillion dramatization). Much is lost by the compression, like the really difficult nature of the trip itself.

I just downloaded the full-screen version of the trailer. It gives me a much wanted excuse to watch it several more times.

Welcome back, gerbil.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #77
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
[B]Ther are parts I would have liked to see included. I'm waiting to see the extended versions to decide if it really needs remaking. I just finished reading The Council of Elrond and my estimate puts the full version at cose to an hour . I would have liked to see the hall of fire, though.
This is where TV would have excelled though. In a film, an hour of speech? No way! On TV? Well, OK, it's probably stretching it a bit, but having said that, reading dialogue for an hour would probably only give you 10-15 minutes of speech at most, which IS do-able.
Quote:
I though mini-series would be a good format (suggested this for the Silmarillion dramatization). Much is lost by the compression, like the really difficult nature of the trip itself.
Definately. I just finished watching FotR yet again (stuck in a foreign country not speaking the language and my girlfriend is out. Add to the equation that the country is Colombia and you can imagine why I'm not keen to go on a stroll instead ) and the journey from Bree still confuses the hell out of me. In the space of 1 morning they leave Bree, start to have (2nd) breakfast in snowy territory, then towards evening are back in normal land near Amon Sul. Whaaaa? That snow bit was such bad continuity it staggers belief. PJ got half of the epic journey right in the scenery - NZ sure is a gorgeous place. But time-wise? Nope, no shrubbery.
Quote:
I just downloaded the full-screen version of the trailer. It gives me a much wanted excuse to watch it several more times.
Indeed I am just glad I'll be back in England when TTT comes out - I dont fancy seeing subtitles on top of subtitles etc. And this time I'm going to prebook 2 showings in a row before-hand, unlike FotR where when I came out the first time I nearly didn't get a ticket to go straight back in and see it again!
Quote:
Welcome back, gerbil.
Cheers, it's been a while, but life has been pretty weird over the last 6 months (including me now ending up in SA with a Colombian girlfriend!).
I doubt I'll be posting so much this time around - more sort of fleeting visit. Mainly because the threads haven't really changed that much since I was last here. I could argue PJ's adaptation isn't true to the spirit of Tolkien until the cows come home but what's the point? I quite like sharing the enthusiasm as it builds to the next film though, along with the inevitable scrabble after it's released to see it the most times!

Speaking of which, my final cinema tally for FotR was 9 times (although undoubtedly going to rise in future!). What was the top score - anyone know?

I bet I win on overall views though since I had the movie on DivX about 3 months after it was out in the cinema (proper quality, not any of this camera in cinema crap!) - perks of working in my industry - hope it works for TTT ) Still going to buy the deluxe boxed set though cos I am stupid like that
Old 10-18-2002, 11:42 PM   #78
Kalimac
Enting

Extended Version

>> the journey from Bree still confuses the hell out of me. In the space of 1 morning they leave Bree, start to have (2nd) breakfast in snowy territory, then towards evening are back in normal land near Amon Sul. <<

The new extended version of the Fellowship of the Ring will supposedly clear up the time concerns. The scenes being readded include (from a review by Illuvator on WOtR) :

The journey to Bree has additional footage, with Frodo and Sam camping. Frodo tries to comfort Sam, as Sam doesn't like to sleep in the woods. Our first glimpse of the Elves is given here as promised. With the Elves illuminated as described in the book. Frodo explains to Sam that they are "High Elves" and that they are leaving Middle Earth. The imagery is stunning! Bree is pretty much the same, but the journey from Bree to Rivendell also has additional dialogue and footage. First, when the question comes up as to why they should trust Strider, Frodo states, "I think the enemy would seem fairer and feel fouler." Then, the trek through the Midgewater Marshes is included, and poor Pippin gets swarmed by flies and promptly yells "I am being eaten alive!" Later at night, while camping, Aragorn kills a deer and brings it back for supper. To show more depth to Aragorn, instead of murmuring a poem about Gil-galad, he is sitting with his back to the camp, singing, with tears in his eyes. When asked by Frodo "Who is the lady your singing about?" he explains that he was singing the Lay of Luthien, and about her being immortal and the love of Beren, a mortal man. This was another very moving scene and will do well to prime the audience for his and Arwen's relationship.
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:31 AM   #79
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Ah I am aware of all that, in fact I am pretty sure I was the first person to say that midgewater was in (because I had a calender with some photos in it that weren't from the film - one of which was clearly the guys in midgewater - note this was even before FotR came out! I've still got it I think - includes a few other not-seen-yet scenes, including them down at the base of weathertop, only without the CGI of the ruins on top - doh!).

However, with the added scenes in it STILL doesn't make sense, and I was kind of hoping someone would mention midgewater

Think about it:

Midgewater comes directly after Bree right? Therefore a few days must pass. Also, a few more days must pass before they make it into snowy territory.

So after all this time must have passed while travelling with Strider, why then is that the first opportunity for Strider to encounter the Hobbits' love of tons of meals? Surely this would have cropped up in the very first day of travelling.

In the current version it doesn't make sense cos of the snow.

In the extended version it either:

- doesn't make sense because this problem should have cropped up straigfht away or
- this scene comes before midgewater and still doesn't make sense because of the snow

YAY! Nearly a year since the film came out and I can still pick holes in it! Anyway this was not really meant as a particular nitpick, merely an example (one of many) where lack of attention to detail has shown flaws in it. But was I really the only person who was like 'Eh? Where did the snow come from?'.

Last edited by Gerbil : 10-19-2002 at 12:33 AM.
Gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 01:23 AM   #80
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Well, there may be an explanation for the snow. New Zealand's weather is really unpredictable, and according to an interview with Elijah Wood, at least once they got hit by an unexpected blizzard while filming.