Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #61
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Willow
Catwoman 2 - An evil man's plot to sell poisoned cat sand threatens pussie's behinds nation-wide. Being refused to own a pet of any kind as a child because of a cat doing her doody under his mother's kitchen table, he is now suffering from a built up rage against felines. Can our hero Patience set right what the doody set wrong?
There are so many things here that are funny.

Thelma and Louise 2: They land in a lake at the bottom of the cliff and go to jail. Prison fun ensues.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #62
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
There are so many things here that are funny.

Thelma and Louise 2: They land in a lake at the bottom of the cliff and go to jail. Prison fun ensues.
I remember Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis doing a schtick about this at the Oscars. It went something like..

Geena: And one great thing about the movie was the ambiguous ending.

Susan: Ambiguous ending? We drove off a cliff!
Geena: Well, maybe we got a lucky bounce.
Susan: Lucky bounce? It was the Grand Canyon!!
Geena, aside to Susan: If we die, there's no sequel.
Susan: Suppose the Goodyear blimp just happened to be passing by underneath...
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #63
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

The Hobbit II: The Lord of the Rings
(Two Thumbs Down)
"For those of you who were enchanted by the gentle whimsy of 'The Hobbit' and were expecting a reprise- forget it. This is a textbook example of what happens when a Hollywood studio gets ahold of a surprise hit and strips it of everything which made it so popular in the first place.
For starters, Bilbo, the delightful hero of the first book, makes only a token experience, to be replaced by his nephew Frodo - "Get someone younger! hotter!", you can almost hear the studio minds grinding.
The plot, if you can call it that, depends on a device from the first movie, Bilbo's ring of invisibility, which has been elevated from a minor gimmick to- "Ta Da!"- the Secret of the Universe; a cross between the H-Bomb and crack cocaine, which gives the possessor unlimited powers while at the same time enslaving them- except it doesn't for the two guys who have held it the longest- Bilbo, and Gollum, back in an expanded role.

But, hey, this is Hollywood, so who needs consistency as we're swept right into the action. Gandalf the Wizard, also back, explains to Frodo that his uncle's trinket is actually the One Ring, made by, you guessed it, the Dark Lord, who has now discovered that it is in the possession of a hobbit named Baggins living in the Shire, and that the Dreaded Black Riders are now searching high and low for the Ring. If they get it, all of Middle-Earth will be enslaved.

Gandalf then tells Frodo to take the Ring to Rivendell, accompanied only by a comic sidekick, even though neither of them has ever left the Shire, knows where Rivendell is, and on each other's shoulders don't stand six feet tall- because he, the great and mighty Wizard has something more important to do than protecting the most powerful weapon in the known Universe against the evil Black Riders- who writes this stuff?

Last edited by GreyMouser : 05-07-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #64
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
LOL, Greymouser.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #65
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

The Hobbit II: The Lord of the Rings (cont'd)
After a few adventures Frodo and Sidekick Sam plus a couple of extras reach Rivendell, where the Counsel of the Great and Wise, about to be overwhelmed by the Forces of Evil, decide that the best thing to do with the Weapon of the Ages is -throw it away. Can you imagine :
"Learn to use the Force, Luke Skywalker"
"No thanks, I'll pass."
Whoever wrote this needs a lesson in storytelling from Master Lucas.

Furthermore, they decide that the best person to take it into the Dark Lord's realm to be destroyed is Frodo the Hobbit. At this point I started yelling at the screen (just like in Highlander II) "Did you guys even watch the first movie?"
Because, plucky as our half-pint friends are, action heroes they're not.
I suspect that plausibility was overridden by the thought of those cute little plush hobbit dolls flying off the shelf, not to mention McDonald's figurines, lunch boxes etc etc- can you say 'Ewoks'?

Anyway our hero, supported by a cast that looks like it was thrown to together by the Rainbow Coalition -Middle-Earth pc?- sets off on a Quest.
Merrily ignoring 5,000 years of the collected wisdom of the West, from Gilgamesh to the Golden Fleece to the Holy Grail (even Monty Python got that right) that the idea of a Quest is to find something, not get rid of it, they set off to destroy the Ring
(FDR to Churchill: "Now that we have the secret of the Atom Bomb, let's get a team of Boy Scouts to take it into Nazi Germany, find Hitler's Bunker, and burn it in his personal fireplace."
Winnie:" I think I'll have another Brandy" Believe me, I sympathize.)
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #66
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

So off they go, chased by various enemies, particularly the Orcs, the comically-malevolent goblins of the Hobbit now transformed into a race of truly nasty creatures who exist solely for the purpose of getting slaughtered in great numbers in what appears to be a successful attempt to get the coveted PG-13 classification for violence (think "Gremlins" to "Gremlins II")

There's even a scene where two of our minor characters have a contest where they keep score as to who can kill the most of the enemy. I know they did this in "Hotshots Part Deux" but that was supposed to be a parody. Here Gimli the Dwarf and Legolas the Elf engage in this Schwarznegger/Bruce Willis tough-guy sneer with an in-your-face-swagger. Hey, they're only Orcs, or whoever is the Evil Foreign Enemy of the Week in this crude disguise of imperialist chauvinism.

But even Orcs aren't bad enough; we've got to have Mutant Super-Orcs ("Uruk-Hai"),
as the producers pile excess on excess to divert us from a storyline that's (literally) meandering all over the map. And this is so typical of the wretched excess of this sequel.
Remember the spookily suggestive swayings and mumurings of the Trees in Mirkwood? Well these new guys don't do 'suggestive', now we've gotta have Trees that actually walk and talk. The "Attercobs" whom Bilbo so wittily deceived? - no, a Giant Totally Evil Spider that has to have her guts slashed open. And throw in a Giant Octopus (blooper: in a fresh-water lake)- what, you had some footage left over from "Tentacles"? And if it's a circus, you have to have elephants- but not ordinary elephants, no, super giant prehistoric "Oliphaunts". One Evil Wizard in one Dark Tower? Why not two Wizards? and Two Towers?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #67
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Meanwhile, back to our "plot": (***SPOILER ALERT***) Gandalf has been killed by a monster called a Balrog, which has wings even though it lives in a cave (by now stuff like this is just minor)

The Fellowship breaks up, and whatever there was of a coherent story totally dissolves. Frodo and Sam decide to do what they set out to do; the mysterious Lone Ranger who's been guiding them (Aragorn) and who turns out to be the long-lost king of someplace we've never heard of ("Gondor") decides NOT to continue helping them complete the most important task in the history of Middle-Earth. Why? because he needs to help defend his kingdom against the full frontal attack of the Dark Lord? No, he heads off-stage in the directly opposite direction of the main action, apparently because the producers had a lot of special effects and a whole bunch of horses they had aleady booked.

From this point don't even try to follow the 'story', it's obviously simply a hook to hang more battles and more effects on.

Anyway, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meet a mysterious White Wizard who turns out to be... Gandalf's long-lost twin brother!! No, no that was "City-Slicker's II: the Legend of Curly's Gold". This cliche is Gandalf back from the dead, and this time he's p****d!! Then they go on to wipe out the second-string Evil Wizard, Saruman (MIni-Me to Sauron's Doctor Evil)

After various events that are pretty pointless, like the first round of the play-offs, since the main battles are happening a thousand leagues to the East, the remnants of the Fellowship are reunited: Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Sneezy, Grumpy,...Yeah, I've forgotten them too.
Only to be immediately separated again- sigh.

Meanwhile, they keep telling us that none of this matters, except as a distraction to keep the Dark Lord from concentrating on Frodo and Robin... I mean Sam; which leaves the question why are they showing it to us?
Here is the ultimate flaw in this whole mess: either you're making a
claustrophobic psychological thriller about penetrating into the deepest depths of the blackness as a metaphor of our own voyage into the dark night of the soul ; or you're giving us a rollicking epic adventure; but not both at the same time: "Star Wars" intertwined with "Alien"; "The Passion of the Christ" merged with "Braveheart"

Last edited by GreyMouser : 05-07-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #68
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Excellent, GM, Excellent. I mussst see it.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #69
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

To finish (please!) Once again ignoring their own story, we have the sage of Gondor and its rescue by the Rohirrim (don't ask- think lots of horses)
Meanwhile, apparently unaware that the last segment is called "The Return of the King" the writers keep the King off-stage, give him a back-up role in saving his own Kingdom, and explain everything in atwo-minute flashback after the main suspense is over.

Our heroes (Sam and Frodo- remember them ?) have meanwhile done their job, further emphasizing that most of what's been going on has been totaly irrelevant. Aragorn the King marries the beautiful Pincess (Who? It looks like some studio suit, dimly reaching back to childhood imgination, has remembered that the King gets the beautiful Princess, plus, hey, we need a girl to get the chicks to come see this ,so they go back to the beginning, write in a one scene intro, and they all live happily ever after.

BUT- Just when you think it's safe to leave the theater, we have an extended ending, where the Hobbits get to show their skill and courage- aopparently, troll-slaying, Witch-King stabbing and overthrowing the Dark Lord hasn't been enough.

Marx wrote that history repeats; the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce; we might say our story repeats, the first time as epic (overthrowing Saruman, destroying Witch-Kings, overthrowing Dark Lords etc); the second time as sit-com: crusty but value-upholding bumpkins fight off crafty real-estate developer and hired thugs.

The only blessing from this is there's no hope for
a sequel, with almost everybody dead...

AArGGHHH!!!- I spoke too soon- now there's talk of a prequel, set in the Good Old Days; where Gandalfs and Saurons were simply servants of greater powers; where the Good Guys were Brighter and Whiter; Dark Lords darker and more powerful; more hidden kingdoms and cities, bigger battles, higher body counts , more. more, more... You want a Dragon? We got lots. You want a Balrog? We got armies of Balrogs. And wait till you see the effects on the ending. "Perfect Storm, look out"
Old 05-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #70
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Hahahaha!!
That belongs in the Archives!!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #71
Spaceman Spiff

Is it strange that I really want to see this flick?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #72
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

me too! me too!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #73
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMouser
Meanwhile, back to our "plot": (***SPOILER ALERT***) Gandalf has been killed by a monster called a Balrog, which has wings even though it lives in a cave
Or does it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #74
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Thanks! Glad everyone got the joke- believe me, I've been on Tolkien forums where this would have started a flamewar: "Hey, this guy's dissin' LoTR"
Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #75
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMouser
Our heroes (Sam and Frodo- remember them ?) have meanwhile done their job, further emphasizing that most of what's been going on has been totaly irrelevant.
heehee!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #76
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Brilliant!!!
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #77
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I thought it was hilarious. I have to copy it and e-mail it to some people, now.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #78
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Me too! I know just the person! I think I'll use .rtf...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #79
Elanor's Angel
Elf Lord

Location: Hiding under my bed reading LOTR at 1:43am, Middle earth (Seattle WA)
Not a plastic toy! Anything but that!!!

Godzilla 9: More bad voice-overs.
Godzilla 10: the bad attempt at copying the matrix.
Godzilla 11: ... and then Steve Erwin came.... now what.....
Godzilla 12: "AAAAAAHHHH!!!" Run in circles and scream!

Vote Trolls' Bane/Elanor's Angel 2008!!!
Elanor's Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 AM   #80
Spaceman Spiff

Sylvester Stallone
in
Over the Top 2- The Thumb Wars
1,2,3,4 He declares a thumb war.