Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2002, 11:38 PM   #61
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

but now you like Iggy! Dog food, Butt Town and all that good stuff!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:41 PM   #62
BeardofPants
the Shrike

:Scowls:

Hey, the Beatles are good!

Anyway... Back on topic; What's with the discrimination of Jews? Last I checked, they were amongst some of the more lenient sects of religion...
Old 05-29-2002, 12:23 AM   #63
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

scapegoats and jealously

they are a group that propers because they stick together and value education which breeds success

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:42 AM   #64
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
:Scowls:

Hey, the Beatles are good!

Anyway... Back on topic; What's with the discrimination of Jews? Last I checked, they were amongst some of the more lenient sects of religion...
...and the most persecuted, in history. True, though Judaism is one of the more lenient religions, though really it depends on the sect...Orthodox and Reform are quite different.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:18 AM   #65
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

RE mentioned retribution/revenge maybe its all pay back for the slaughter of canaan

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 05-29-2002 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:27 AM   #66
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Retribution/Revenge gets really, really ridiculous after a certain point. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:19 AM   #67
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

si senorita

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-29-2002, 09:36 AM   #68
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
scapegoats and jealously

they are a group that propers because they stick together and value education which breeds success
Couldn't agree more.

I take this time to say I'm proud of my Jewish/Israeli heritage! Though I don't look it or practice the religion. My last name is Jewish, by the way.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:16 AM   #69
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Garina
Just out of interest, why do Americans call the Atlantic Ocean "the pond"? It's a bit big!
Oh, because it is crossed so easily it may as well be a small pond. Unlike other natural dividers which may seem greater. Then too, it is due to the fact that we do feel close to "our roots". Well, some of us do.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:22 AM   #70
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
EVERY country i've been to the ghetto ethic hip hop gangster rap culture has infiltrated
and previous quotes

It is so refreshing to read these pages. If people just take people individually and not look at color we could do so much. The music etc. industry has done so much to destroy what little progress had been begun that I wonder what our future is now.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:33 PM   #71
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

There are several comments I want to make on this thread. First anyone that truly knows me - knows that I am one of the least predudiced people around. Of course anyone that over hears some of my joking around with various friends would think I was extremely bigotted I suppose.

For instance - my friend in Canada - who is one of, if not my best friend - she's (American) Indian. I used to always ask her to come down - and then mention that we need some rain or make other various racial jokes with her. But she jokes back and we both feel political correctness is stupid.

I had worked with someone in Seymour Indiana. Seymour doesn't have a lot of blacks in town, but when RR Donnelley bought the company they moved a lot of blacks in to satisfy the Affirmative Action quotas. Grace, who I became friends with, was one of these people that was relocated to Seymour. I used to joke with her that she satified two of Donnelley's quota requirements as a black woman.

In NY there is this black miltant person at the corner around 42nd and Broadway - it's where WWF NY is. He is always standing there with his followers giving speeches about the "evil white man keeping the blacks down". I really want to go up to him and ask him why doesn't he either get a job - or go into the schools and TEACH black students how to write a resume, how to go for job interviews, how to use a computer, how to write proper English and how to speak proper English. Instead I have to hear how it's "my" fault everytime I walk down Broadway.

That leads me into another point - I do not know how speaking PROPER English is forcing someone to "become" white or is concidered by blacks as "selling out". I would like to learn French, Italian and Spanish - I would like to be able to speak, write and communicate in them properly (without an American accent). This does not mean I'm a sell out. Speaking properly in a language has nothing to do with ethnicity - it has to do with being able to properly communicate.

Blacks (I will not use the hyphenation of African-American) have a lot of leaders that just want to make everyone that follows them believe they are a victim. When someone in "their society" such as Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell "make it" they're concidered to have sold out. Why aren't they held up as role models? I had seen Condoleeza Rice give a speech and I had written to her - this was when she was Provost at (can't remember the University right now) - but she took the time to write me back. If she ever gives a speech at Princeton - I will definetly try to see her.

My high school graduation party was almost destroyed by my grandmother's bigotted boyfriend. (He had escaped from Germany to America at the age of 12 by himself and his family had been killed in the concentration camps - he wasn't Jewish though, so it was always hard for me to understand how HE could be so unaccepting of people.) I showed people my prom pictures and one of my friends, Preston Robinson who is black, was in the picture with Jill who was white. My grandmother's boyfriend told me in a disgusted voice - that it was disgusting that he should be with her. I went off on him and my father told me that I should learn to take constructive criticism. I yelled back to my father that bigotry is not constructive critism and I didn't have to listen to an a$$hole. The thing is - Preston Robinson came to the prom by himself, Jill's date threw up all over our table and so the photographer just stood them like that in our table picture (they were just friends). But I didn't tell anyone that - because it didn't matter. Anyway - Preston never went out with a black person in the 4 years I was in school with him and it didn't matter. He went out with every other ethinic person - including white girls. My grandmother's bf would have died if he knew who I thought was the most beautiful girl my school - Natalie who was black (well actually part black). But that stuff didn't matter at my school at all and I had never experienced anyone being shunned because of their ethnicity.

It wasn't until we moved to Indiana where I really saw prejudism, both religious and ethnic prejudism. Personally - Indiana was way too white and chirstian for me. I really needed to get back to New Jersey for the diversity.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:21 PM   #72
Darth Tater
The man

I'm quite proud of my Jewish heritage, and if you call me a self-hating Jew for not agreeing with Israeli doctrines I'll kick your Gentile arse

Oh and the Beatles talked about sex plenty of times thankyouverymuch. "Why don't we do it in the road?" "Everybody's got something to hide cept for me and my monkey" and who could forget the oooh oooh eeh eeh at the end of Lovely Rita, Meter Maid?
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:18 PM   #73
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

and the tit, tit, tit, harmony in Girl
Old 05-29-2002, 02:51 PM   #74
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Not to mention Norwegian Wood...

And the drug references, ooh eeeh oooh.... "I'd love to turrrrrrn yooooou oooonnn...."
Old 06-02-2002, 10:52 PM   #75
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
I myself jump in to say my two cents about white people, men, and Christians (yeah, I know I'm one of them - long story).
You're a Christian now, RE? Cool!

Anyway, I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 02:15 AM   #76
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Did someone say tit?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:37 AM   #77
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm bringing this thread back because most everyone who originally posted here is gone, and I would like to hear some new opinions. I also have something to say involving this article.

Quote:
Racial Switch Halts 'Huck Finn' Production

GLENELG, Md. - A black Huck Finn and a white Jim might be OK for a high school production of Mark Twain's classic tale — but those performances had to be edited out of a C-Span talent show after the copyright holder objected to the cross-casting.

Jay Frisby, a black student who played Huck, and Nick Lehan, a white student who played Jim, taped their performance of the song "Muddy Water" for "Close Up," a weekly show that highlights high school excellence.

When the program aired Friday, the two Glenelg Country School seniors were introduced, but viewers were told that "Close Up" could not show their performance because of "copyright restrictions."

Lehan and Frisby had played the roles of Jim and Huck in the school's production of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" without complaint. But when the show's executive producer asked for the right to air the students' performance, permission was denied.

Bert Fink, a spokesman for R&H Theatricals — the Rodgers & Hammerstein organization, which holds the license to the play — said his organization is not against cross-casting in general.

"But when you're dealing with a theatrical work and race or ethnicity is a key factor, many authors or playwrights feel strongly that ethnicity has to be reflected in the actors who portray the characters," he said.

"In the books, Jim is a runaway slave. He is clearly in the novel an African-American man. And Huck is a free white man — that is central to the story. To ignore that component or to comment on it by switching is not faithful to the story."

Frisby's father, Washington attorney Russell Frisby, said he was appalled by the decision.

"The only rationale for it is that someone in New York believes Huck Finn can't be played by an African-American. I thought we were past the days of 'whites only' clauses," the elder Frisby said.
My problem comes with the comment by 'the elder Frisby'. Can't the rationale be that Jim can't be played by a white man because the story requires that he be black? (Excuse me, African-American) Wouldn't the fact that they said that Jim is black and needs to played by a black person be a 'blacks only' clause? People that look for (and apparently, in their own mind, find) racism when it's not there tick me off. If they said that both Jim and Huck could be white, I could understand the claim of racism. But they didn't. They said that Huck should be white and Jim should be black. Simple.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #78
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Another example of the silliness of PC-ism...

(IMO, PC-ism is really just a logical consequence of the false materialistic, naturalistic worldview, and its existence is not to be wondered at - it's just to be laughed at, mainly, and wondered at - I mean, the lengths they go to to deny reality are just amazing! Just shows you how much "faith" the "non-religious" people really DO have - they leave us "religious" people in the dust!)

Pretty soon we'll get a movie of the Brothers Karamazov with a woman playing Alyosha, etc. etc. (and I mean playing Alyosha AS a woman, not a woman dressed up as a man).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-23-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #79
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
(Excuse me, African-American) Wouldn't the fact that they said that Jim is black and needs to played by a black person be a 'blacks only' clause? People that look for (and apparently, in their own mind, find) racism when it's not there tick me off. If they said that both Jim and Huck could be white, I could understand the claim of racism. But they didn't. They said that Huck should be white and Jim should be black. Simple.

I totally agree and Rian has it right on too. It was written "then" and to change it "now" because of political correctness, demeans the authors intention and changes the whole perspective of the novel.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #80
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

the trouble is political correctness gets taken too far, PC was a balance to weigh out bigotry, now you can't say anything without someone jumping you

i have some french friends, and we often joke about "froggies" and so on, but the point is all of it is made in jest

Marcus Brigstocke wrote in G2 today (paraphrasing someone else)
Quote:
you can always tell a daily mail reader, because they end every sentence with "...but I suppose that's not politically correct"
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote