Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 05:18 PM   #61
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
*enters thread, is blown away by blaring music: Another one bites the dust...* Woah! What happened here?
*switches music to 'Don't worry, be happy...'*
As an avid Queen fan...
*Run back in frantically trying to change the music back to Queen. Succeeds...We are the champions...*

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 04-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #62
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Ok that works, O alcoholic elven master .

*sings along*

*everyone runs out of room, screaming*

*switches music to Beatles... Come together, right now...*

That's better...
Old 04-12-2002, 05:25 PM   #63
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Woah! Such tension here! Now, now people, take a deep breath, have a warm bath or a lie down. Don't do anything you'll regret later, like leaving us. Please stay.

Laurelyn, you too please stay. We have time for semi-depressed 12-yr-old girls. I've been one myself If I had read LOTR 20 years ago I'd have been a real smart baby.

Arathorn do that to me again and I'll SWEAR I'm coming down there to kick your sorry butt through your computerscreen for giving me that heart attack!

I'm not sure for who I speak here but I certainly speak for myself. I think it sad I have seen so many people leaving during my relative short stay here. Yes I know that's the nature of a messageboard, people tend to leave I know. But it's the way they leave. Most of them leave it angry. And that's really sad. I for one would hate to lose any mooter for something like this.

I always enjoyed the posts I read here. Newbie or regular, Tolkien scholar or 'Tolkien fan wannabe'. You all have a unique point of view. And that's what makes it so enjoyable. People just have different points of view, always had, always will have. But it doesn't mean because someone has a different point of view yours doesn't have any value. And it doesn't mean you have to leave because of it.

Tater I understand your view. You probably hate me for asking this but I'll have a go anyway. Why don't you try to help newbies understand Tolkien a bit better? Encourage them to read it, to try and learn. What better role is there?

Well I'm not sure that did any good but that's my view. *climbs of soap box* Not really a 'I have a dream'speech but it'll do. I'll just go away now and hide somewhere....
Old 04-12-2002, 05:36 PM   #64
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Ok that works, O alcoholic elven master .

*sings along*

*everyone runs out of room, screaming*

*switches music to Beatles... Come together, right now...*

That's better...
*runs back in with broom and bottle*

You can't fool me that easiklly!!

*Hits Menelvagor with broom, turns Bohemian Rhapsody on and drinks from bottle*

The alcoholic elf wins again!! MWHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

Well said Earniel!

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 04-12-2002, 05:40 PM   #65
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Thank you, Earniel. You've summed up what I wanted to say.

Also, everyone please note that in the very first post in this thread, Firalphien said that she was going to read the books, but hadn't had time yet. Those of you who have not experienced post-secondary education final exams can't empthize, but I can, as I'm right in the middle of them. Last semester my RA had an exam that lasted six hours. I am not exaggerating. So if for nothing else, give her a break because of exams.

I think the writing itself has potential. someone said it is important to learn to slow down and describe things in great detail. I agree. You don't have to be as descriptive as Dickens, but nonetheless, it is important.
Also, adapting a different storyline was probably a good idea. You won't get anywhere with a romance about Legolas.

all that said, PLEASE DON'T LET THIS THREAD DISCOURAGE YOU FROM WRITING!!! I think fanfic is excellent practise for beginning writers, b/c it gives practise with the technical stuff, w/out the added burden of introducing an entire cast of characters and their backgrounds smoothly into the story. I encourage you to move beyond fanfic though. It's exciting to have an entirely original story spilling out of your brain onto a piece of paper.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:57 PM   #66
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Firstly, I hate Coffee.

Quote:
Why don't you try to help newbies understand Tolkien a bit better? Encourage them to read it, to try and learn. What better role is there?
I'm not talking for the great Taterificous but it's not his job to emcourage non-book fans to read the text. Also a Newbie doesn't always=New to Tolkien, just ignorant to pretty much everything about this board, I mean, new to this board.

Yours minionly, Murc.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:00 PM   #67
Elf Girl
Lurker

Indeed! When a person doesn't know much about LotR, we should see it as a valuable opportunity to farmilirize someone with the wonder that is Tolkien!
Old 04-12-2002, 06:06 PM   #68
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Firstly I hate Coffee.

I'm not talking for the great Taterificous but it's not his job to emcourage non-book fans to read the text. Also a Newbie doesn't always=New to Tolkien, just ignorant to pretty much everything about this board, I mean, new to this board.

Yours minionly, Murc.
Firstly I can't coffee either.

Secondly I am aware that's not in his job subscription and I respect him and the rest of the team for the work they do here. I was merely wondering if this wasn't a more rewarding job than making newbies feel bad about themselves.

Thirdly, since when did you become all buffy-ish?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:09 PM   #69
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

That's one of my favorite things about the movie...I dragged a grand total of fifty people to it, and at least 1/5 of them were inspired to read the book for the first time. That's pretty good.

One of the girls in my dorm came bouncing into my room a few weeks after we had seen teh movie together, and she was singing, "he's not dead! he's alive!" (meaning gandalf, of course) it was fun to be a part of that.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:11 PM   #70
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think it would be fun to talk to someone who is reading LotR for the first time to get their impressions while they are still fresh. Maybe someone who is can start a thread so that they can have a book chat w/ those who want to, or are also reading it for the first time. As I have posted elsewhere, I'm reading The Silmarillion for the first time and I actually found this website so I could get involved in some discussion about it so I could talk about what I'm reading w/ others who are enthusiatic about it. (mmm that was a nice run-on).
Old 04-12-2002, 06:45 PM   #71
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Look, if you want a place to hang out because of your weirdness find the official weird freakish people's board. This is a Tolkien board, for fans of the work of Tolkien, specifically his Middle Earth related work. So uh gee, well to be a member here wouldn't it make sense to BE A FAN OF TOLKIEN???????????? Otherwise why bother?

And when writing, it's a good rule of thumb to write about what you know. You obviously don't know Canon when it comes to Middle Earth and LOTR, so why try to write a LOTR fanfic? FYI Arwen never gives Aragorn a stone in LOTR.
this is the freaking GENERAL(SP) TALK board!! DT ur being mean! On the Utopia GT board i dont even remember half the stuff we'd talk about!

BTW didn't she say that she has exams, shes writing about something she loves(hopefully) in a few years or more she'll be as hardcore as u Tater!(Hopefully)

I'll shutup up now

(this is the first time I've read this thread.... so i post my opinion)
*posts opinion*
Old 04-12-2002, 08:01 PM   #72
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I understand where Tater is coming from. It is a little irritating to hear people talk about Tolkien when the only thing they know is the movie. Which - I'm sorry isn't Tolkien - it's Jackson. Unlike Tater though - I don't think that Jackson's movie was a work of genius. But even if I don't love Jackson's movie - I can still express my feelings.

And I agree with Elf Girl - we should take the opportunity to ensnare "want a be/potential Tolkien Fans" into the TRUE world of Tolkien. Not the distorted view that Jackson gave.

Firalphien: I would recommend using unique names for your story. Tolkien character names are sort of sacred. Distorting their characters I think is mostly what Tater got upset about.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-12-2002, 08:31 PM   #73
Elf Girl
Lurker

I agree about names, In my fanfic there are no charecters from the book except Frodo, and he isn't the point.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:14 PM   #74
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Firstly, I hate Coffee.
Amen, brother! (Sorry about that.)

Well, I thought your story was pretty good for an amateur. I agree with using different names and not having it be a love story though. Don't let all these people discourage you. I would recommend reading the books. (I think you said you are.) I don't think I really can be called a "Tolkien Fanatic" either. I just read The Silmarillion for the first time. (I was a fan before the movie though. Just had to tell everyone that.) Anyway, I think you have potential to make a good Tolkien Fan once you read the books though.

See how easy it is to be nice?

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 04-12-2002, 10:08 PM   #75
Firalphien
Hobbit

First of all, I know that i'm an amateur and all, but i'm working on improving myself... and I will never stop writing! I luv it too much! I'm sorry to mention this..., but my story wasn't gonna be a love story, that was just the rough draft of the prologue! lol! It's okay... I can see how everyone thought it was. Also I might need help thinking up some new names for my characters... Any suggestions??? Thanks for all your help and support!

The good news is i have 2 finals down and 2 more to go! (Just came back from my calculus one... yikes!) It's a countdown... one more week till I start reading! I swear, that book is calling out to me "read me, read me..." lol!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:10 PM   #76
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I would be more upset with someone that had read the books and then came to a Tolkien forum and bashed them by saying LotRs sucks. I have seen that happen elswhere, and can't for the life of me understand why they would come to a place that is crawling with lovers of this story, and make such a terrible remark. That is irratating.

If you love the movie, and you love what you do know about Tolkien's work so far, read the books and you'll really have a love affair on your hands.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:22 PM   #77
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I would be more upset with someone that had read the books and then came to a Tolkien forum and bashed them by saying LotRs sucks. I have seen that happen elswhere, and can't for the life of me understand why they would come to a place that is crawling with lovers of this story, and make such a terrible remark. That is irratating.
The reason because there are a lot of jerks out there that have nothing better to do than to just criticize people. By making fun of others - it makes them feel better about themselves. Same thing goes toward people that talk about a person they don't really know.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-12-2002, 10:58 PM   #78
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Dear Eru! I've said this before and I'll say it again - every time I'm gone for a few days some new crisis pops up!

Helllooo Firalphien! Welcome to the Moot! We're glad to have you here (don't mind Tater, he's really a nice guy).

I write fanfiction too, although it's more general Middle Earth fiction than LotR in particular. It's hard, I know. Don't let anyone discourage you, though. Although I'm not much of a romance writer and prefer subtlety when I do write romance, it's still fun to read sometimes! Are you going to keep posting your story here? I, for one, am interested in reading it.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 04-12-2002, 11:50 PM   #79
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Firalphien, I'm so happy that you're going to read them books. Here's some encouragement: READ, READ, READ, READ...

Eärniel, I didn't know you cared. Usually when I leave for long bouts(like doozing off due to medication), I don't announce it.

FF, I've read just one of your fanfics and not only is it subtle it sneaks up on you and bites.

<programs CD changer to play both Queen and Beatles songs>

I need to go slow on that antihistamine medication. The coffee seems to have been no match and I got knocked out for about 12 hrs.

But as they say...

I get knocked out
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down...

I better go back to another thread as I suddenly got another idear for a mangled song!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Old 04-13-2002, 12:15 AM   #80
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Isn't that song by Chumbawumba (great name!)? Now I have a sudden urge to listen to that CD.

*bites Arathorn* Which one did you read? I can't remember any of them being that subtle or snappy. Thank you though!

I think someone mentioned this before . . . but a fanfic forum would be cool. *ducks as Tater hurls flying projectiles*

You can always come post your fanfic at The Crossroads (see link in my sig). We like fanfic there, and we criticize as nicely as possible.

By the way, RPGs are a nice way to practice writing and have lots of fun doing it.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 04-13-2002 at 12:31 AM.
Closed Thread