Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2002, 10:03 PM   #61
Ben
Retired Ent

Welcome to the board SW. I'm sorry that the first thing you see is this debate, very uncharacteristic for the board.

Btw, for those of you only viewing the thread, we working things out via Instant Messenger, and I think we're all friends now . Hopefully we can have all the details posted soon.

Quote:
Secondly it says in the terms and conditions something along the lines of : "All posts are the views of the author, and not necessarily the opinions of the staff of Entmoot, the Tolkien Trail, or Jelsoft (makers of vBulletin)."

So firstly you guys say that whatever is posted has nothing to do with you. Legally that is smart but is it not a little Hypocritical to also say that you guys own everything that is posted on here ?
That's a valid point. However, I don't see it as hypocritical for both to be true.

You see, we bought this bulletin board and installed it on the server we pay for. The posts themselves are our property, as being a part of this software we own. We can do whatever we want with the actual posts (close, delete, edit, move, etc). However, I don't know if the content is necessarily ours. It would make sense if primary ownership is given to the person who actually wrote it. But again, I am not familiar with the details of our copyright laws.

It is also true that the posts do not have to reflect the opinions of the staff. Aldesign is posting on this board which is owned by us, for example, but I don't agree with anything he's saying.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:06 PM   #62
Ben
Retired Ent

SW: I agree that HOBBIT's post was out of line. Although he is an admin, his post reflects his opinion alone and not the views of the administration as a whole. HOBBIT is the youngest admin (13) and sometimes doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut .

(Admittedly we are brothers, so some have implied that my opinions may be slightly biased )

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:06 PM   #63
Darth Tater
The man

Quote:
Originally posted by SorryWhat?: I do understand your POV though HOBBIT and as such maybe i should go make a ton of pointless posts to catch up with the other people on here that have been around the same amount of time as me but have been much more vocal about stuff.
He he I think I'm gonna like this guy.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:08 PM   #64
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

SW: Sorry about my message. I didn't intend any harm. I was operating under the stereotype that all newbies are clueless. I was proven wrong by your eloquent posting.

Oh, and Welcome to the board!

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:08 PM   #65
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

AIIIGHT PEOPLE LISTEN UP.

After some discussion,I have been informed that it has been decided that the story CAN have its own website BUT it has been asked that is also be on the TT. I find this to be a fair trade off as I hope FF. RE and Sam will also find it to be. Ladies we've got what we asked for if we just let them have it on their site too this whole thing will be resolved.

A new website will be made as evidence has shown that Aldesign indeed has only made that site to increese his portfolio. Who will host it and who will design it is yet to be decided.

Tater is not really EVIL....well yes he is( his name says so)..But not in this case! He has had past issues with Aldesign that were formerly unknown of and becuase we did not know we took his comments as being grabby and mean and pissy and...stuff. He was not against us, he was against Aldesign and for good reason.

FF, RE, Sam, my fellow hobbit chicas, check your e-mail as JD will be sendin you an E-mail (or PM) explaining the whole thing. The War is over.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:12 PM   #66
Darth Tater
The man

See folks? You've had it wrong all along! Darth Tater, hero of the lower classes in disguise!
Old 02-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #67
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Wow! I just left for the office and all this seems to've been cleared up after a only few hrs.

Disney would've been proud <ducks from flying Frappuccino cups>.

PS
I checked the other site out and I'm not a good judge of web design so I can;'t comment on that one but I do like Feraway Hawkbriar's art. My "better late than never" compliments. Now I know where FF's avatar comes from.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-14-2002 at 10:59 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:54 PM   #68
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yes, many thanks to Feraway for my cool avatar!! *applause*

And I'm glad we're finally over the whole legal arguing thing . . .
So is WWYD going to be posted on Tolkien Trail now? If so, you certainly have my permission. As a matter of fact, when I get time I may rewrite WWYD in story format or just clean it up in script format and e-mail it to my friends/family, stick it on my website, etc.

Face it, this story's hardly going to become a national bestseller (although that would be cool), it's not like posting or not posting, having rights to it or not is really gonna make a big difference. Still, since writing is one of the few things I do passably well, it's very gratifying to me that people like WWYD, and I got a bit miffed when people were laying claims to something that contains much of my writing. Sorry if I offended anyone.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:53 AM   #69
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think it's great you folks worked out an amicable agreement. It shows that all EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO's are above the average human animal and capable of reasoned compromise. Bows to the ladies who argued for the plaintiffs, and to the Admins who did a good job on defense. Nice job, all.

Now that things are worked out, by all means use my little measly [unimportant] chapter if you so desire on the web site. Wish aldesign had no alterior motive to muddy the issue. If you'd like to "farm out" some coding and editing I'd be happy to do a chapter or two. I won't even demand the "Antares Reef Productions" imprimatur!

Glad to see that this tempest in a teapot has been resolved, and now back to Happy Mooting like a big ol' lovin' fambly.

BTW, ben and all Admin brothers, thanks, guys. Thanks for putting up the Moot and dealing with the headaches and the fun. You do a good job, put in a lot of hard work, do a fine job keeping this herd of cats headed in the same direction, and ya does it for the hell of it! . Don't think we Mooters consider that aspect enough, and bloody well at your ages! Thanks again, guys. [Now can I be a moderator? *smooch smooch* LOL!!!]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:21 AM   #70
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

What - not even a mention of my role in this whole resolution thing? Yes - I just wanted some acknowledgement for bringing the parties together to talk this thing out. Not to mention my role as mediator. I guess I'll do that myself now, especially since I was concerned I might lose some friends over this thing.

And yes Tater - you are still evil - just in sheep's clothing now. And Hobbit from now on should be called Tater Jr.

Even though the issue is now mute - I wanted to let people know that as Ben said above
Quote:
However, I don't know if the content is necessarily ours. It would make sense if primary ownership is given to the person who actually wrote it.
I had checked this out with a president of a web development company that I work with this afternoon and he had confirmed that the contents of messages are the property of the poster. Especially when I had shown him the agreement that everyone accepts when they register.

I am just glad we were able to work this out without ruining any friendships.

Oh yeah - I forgot, I have a car coming from Ben and I believe a cookie and a pat on the back from Feraway and HOBBIT. What were you giving me Tater? or was it that you just wanted MY car?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-15-2002 at 03:05 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 11:28 AM   #71
SorryWhat?
Banned

Thanks for the welcomes Darth, bmilder and even HOBBIT!

i'm glad this has been resolved - it seems like everyone has done the right thing. It is too bad that the dude with the site had an agenda of his own but i'm sure he deserves what he's got - although i am on his site now and it is quite good (not as well designed as this one of course) but it is nice - especially the pictures, those are pure genius!
SorryWhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:01 PM   #72
¿êgö¿å§™
Sapling

Hey

Hi there all....

I am new.....

Just like to say i have read The Fellowship Of The Message Board and thought it was great
::claps authors::

And i have read all this controversy about it.....

I know its probably none of my business... but it isnt TT's but the authors work and Aldesigns site is much better than the boards to read it from and there should just be a link in Rivendale to the re-edidted site.

And i cant see why admins want it so much??? they cant do n e thing with it......all they can do is say

"Hey look everybody.... People wrote this on MY message board........ YIPPPEEEEE"

And i think that TT site is great but the design isnt......

I dont think AlDesign had a nerve to suggest it.... because Darth...... Quite frakley.... YOUR DRAWINGS ARE SHAT!!!

and do u even sell n e of that merchedice with those drawings on????

lol

See ya
¿êgö¿å§™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:02 PM   #73
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Feraway Hawkbriar did do a fantastic job on the illustrations, SorryWhat. And thanks to jerseydevil for his irreplaceable role in bringing the two warring factions together. Maybe his next assignment could be, maybe, the Gaza Strip?

brollum/bropous
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:05 PM   #74
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Wow, ¿êgö¿å§™, smooth move, gertrude. First post right out of the chute and you stick your thumb right in the eye of an administrator. You'll go far.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:40 PM   #75
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Feraway Hawkbriar
AIIIGHT PEOPLE LISTEN UP.

After some discussion,I have been informed that it has been decided that the story CAN have its own website BUT it has been asked that is also be on the TT. I find this to be a fair trade off as I hope FF. RE and Sam will also find it to be. Ladies we've got what we asked for if we just let them have it on their site too this whole thing will be resolved.

A new website will be made as evidence has shown that Aldesign indeed has only made that site to increese his portfolio. Who will host it and who will design it is yet to be decided.

Tater is not really EVIL....well yes he is( his name says so)..But not in this case! He has had past issues with Aldesign that were formerly unknown of and becuase we did not know we took his comments as being grabby and mean and pissy and...stuff. He was not against us, he was against Aldesign and for good reason.

FF, RE, Sam, my fellow hobbit chicas, check your e-mail as JD will be sendin you an E-mail (or PM) explaining the whole thing. The War is over.

Umm i kinda missed out on all the backstage talks, about the site, as u guys live in USA, and im in the UK, i was in bed. and think that it is unfair that i missed out.

And well, i disagree with the fact that everyone is still holding against me. I made the site because i enjoy it, because i wanted to make it for everyone else. The fact that a small a4 printout of the index page within a Browser window, might be put in a a4 sketch book is nothing.
i have made many sites in my time, each of them beacause they'd have a use
www.aldesign.50megs.com/clan/pages <-- a clan website, use: clan
www.aldesign.50megs.com/jp/home.htm <-- a jurassic park database of requested pictures.
www.aldesign.50megs.com/Lg <-- a clan page
www.fotmb.bravepages.com/ <-- a story that Authors needed hosting, and this i did, in kindness and in a hobby.

Do i still not get a say in this matter?
i do think it was unfair i was left out of the "Talking", and im quite happy for the site and text ive edited to be put on TT, ive never had a problem with that, i accepted a couple of pages back when Dath first offered.

So im hoping ur'll reconsider.
I have no more quarels.
And Dath, ive been wanting to set my quarel with u straight, as i did when i first asked Ben about the site before Xmas, i apologised then, and i have apologised now, peace.

aldesign
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:20 PM   #76
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I like Tater's Gandlaf. Also - Aldesign did not draw the pics - Feraway did. I've never seens Aldesign's drawings or if he does draw, but your comments about Tater's drawings were uncalled for.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 04:46 PM   #77
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Re: Hey

Quote:
Originally posted by ¿êgö¿å§™
Hi there all....

I am new.....

Just like to say i have read The Fellowship Of The Message Board and thought it was great
::claps authors::

And i have read all this controversy about it.....

I know its probably none of my business... but it isnt TT's but the authors work and Aldesigns site is much better than the boards to read it from and there should just be a link in Rivendale to the re-edidted site.

And i cant see why admins want it so much??? they cant do n e thing with it......all they can do is say

"Hey look everybody.... People wrote this on MY message board........ YIPPPEEEEE"

And i think that TT site is great but the design isnt......

I dont think AlDesign had a nerve to suggest it.... because Darth...... Quite frakley.... YOUR DRAWINGS ARE SHAT!!!

and do u even sell n e of that merchedice with those drawings on????

lol

See ya
Tater is going to love that. Oh, and I just quoted this post just in case. You never know if the person who posted it will edit it out, and Tater needs to see this. heh. Oh, and I Welcome you, ¿êgö¿å§™, to the board for the duration of your stay here, however long that may be.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 05:32 PM   #78
Darth Tater
The man

Gee ¿êgö¿å§™, thanks for your kind comments! They're really appreciated. But seriously, Entmoot isn't a democracy. We try to be fair, but posting here is a privilage not a right. We pay for this board, we work hard for it, and if you don't like it you can **** off. And if you don't like the site don't visit it! Constructive critism is one thing, that I can take, but stoopidity, well that just pisses me off.

aldesign, it's up to the writers now whether they want to use your format or if they will allow you to keep the content on your site. That's their choice, not mine.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:48 PM   #79
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I'd deal with Feraway, Frodo Friend and Rogue elf any day. They are good people. Aldesign can just take a long walk off a short pier. I can't stand people who try to build a reputation for themselves on the backs of others. Surreptitiously.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #80
Nibs
Head Hollara

Wow, this is all so intriguing... and now that it's (mostly) over, I can see how vapid and ill-concieved some of the comments were (on all sides) simply because of misunderstandings.

I feel somewhat omniscient about this topic after reading all the posts, and I take sides with the administrators. Putting aside personal attacks and viscious diatribes, I think the story does belong on Rivendell of TT, legally and logically. Credit can still be given to the original authors and everything, as far as I'm aware of, and this is something that all of you should be enjoying, not arguing over (I realize that many of you have said this all along).

Most of all, I've noticed some unfair treatment of the administrators and realized I haven't taken the time to thank them for the innumerable hours they've invested into this cause. Much, if not all of our input and ideas has merely stemmed from it. Thank you, gents. It's a shame that the most part of your feedback is comprised of insincere insults. I'm impressed by your mettle in dealing with us internet junkie slime. Bear it, knowing that there are those of us out there that acknowledge your efforts and deeply appreciate them.

[Go ahead and call me a brown-noser, but I do appreciate you guys]

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote