Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 12:39 AM   #61
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I'm 99% sure I read that Weathertop was filmed in a sound stage. I thought it was in the LOTR Official Movie Guide, but I can't find it. It might have been on the official website.

I don't know if the ruins were computer generated or not though.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:50 AM   #62
Gerbil
Elf Lord

It's a pretty unmistakeable hill shape, you have to admit.
I'll see if I have the time to scan it in tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:51 AM   #63
fedos
Hobbit

It was done in a studio, I saw it on the "maing of" show on the sci-fi channel. everything was made out of some sort of plaster casting or something like that. Each peice was cast as if it was brand new and then they took chunks out of them to make them look naturally eroded.

I'm looking at the calendar page in question right now, I can't remember if there was a distance shot of Weathertop in the film and if so could the ruins be seen?
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
fedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:00 AM   #64
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Yes there are a few distance shots.
I can't remember them all, but I'm fairly certain there is a day time shot giving you the silhoette (how the heck do you spell that?).

I am 100% sure there's a night-time shot of it though - you see the fire going out as Frodo stamps on it - it sets the scene so you realise anyone for miles around can tell they are there. Pretty sure it's the same shot except at night as the day-time one, so they must have done a few still mattes or CGs of it for the hill.

The ruins pretty much cover the whole top, so it's not simply the calender pic is from a different angle.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:01 AM   #65
jerseydevil

Nazgul

That's where I saw it. There is a distance shot of Weathertop as they're approaching it. It's most likely done with CGI. I don't think they built anything on the mountain.

The distance shots of Rivendell were obviously CGI so I imagine that Weathertop was too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-14-2002, 01:23 AM   #66
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Oh yeah.
Quote:
you got ash in my tomatoes
But...I thought Nazgul couldn't see???
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:36 AM   #67
Gerbil
Elf Lord

As far as I'm aware Nazgul have a limited vision of the 'real' world.
They appear to be able to sense life-forces well, and also I'd assume they must be able to see clearly enough several things, fire and water amongst them.

Bit of a bummer for them if they can't, what with them being afraid of them. you can imagine it:

Scene #1:

Nazgul #1: Water eh, the very thought of it makes my legs buckle
Nazgul #2: Bit of a bugger then really that we've just walked straight into a river then, eh?
Nazguls #1 and #2: AAAAIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Scene #21:

Nazgul #1: Fire eh? Not a lot in this world that can hurt us, but fire can. Best steer clear of it really.
Nazgul #2: I take it it's not good then that we've just walked into a bonfire?
Nazguls #1 and #2: AAAAIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Old 01-14-2002, 01:46 AM   #68
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Well actually in Knife in he Dark - Strider tells them that the riders "do not see the world of light as we do, but our shadows cast shadows in their minds, which only the noon sun destroys; and in the dark they perceive many signs and forms that are hidden from us; then they are most to be feared... And at all times they smell the blood of living things, desiring and hating it...We can feel their presence...;they feel ours more keenly. Also the Ring draws them."

Also he tells them to gather wood to make a fire - "There is little shelter or defense here, but fire shall serve for both. Sauron can put fire to his evil uses, as he can all things, but these riders do not love it, and fear those who weild it."

Frodo stamping out the fire didn't really make much sense. But since Strider didn't tell Frodo this in the movie - I guess it really didn't matter.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-14-2002, 03:37 AM   #69
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Interesting article I came across regarding the car scene.
Apparently it's not a car at all, it's meant to be a subtle glimpse of Gildor and co passing through the shire. For a bit more info go to:

http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_fotr.cfm

and scroll down to 'a glimpse of Gildor'. I am assuming this is the same incident, a bit too coicidental otherwise.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:54 AM   #70
Gerbil
Elf Lord

On another note that list is quite funny, because it details as 'completely reliable' several things that don't appear in the film, and doesn't give much credibility to bits that actually do appear in the film. I suppose updating 'rumours about the film' doesn't make much sense since it's now out.

But it does show some glimpses of interesting things that might be in the fictional 'Director's cut DVD', such as Orcs chasing the fellowship into Lorien - it looks like these scenes were actually filmed. So maybe there's a few more
Old 01-14-2002, 11:19 AM   #71
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

There are a bunch of scenes which were filmed which did not make the theatrical edit, Gerbil. If it turns out Jackson filmed the Bombadil scenes, Old Man Willow, the book version of the Fords, Galdriel's full gift-giving, plus the Gimli/Legolas conflicts/resolutions, I'm gonna have a heart attack...LOL!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:56 AM   #72
fedos
Hobbit

From the film rumours page:
Quote:
According to screenwriter Philippa Boyens, "Tom Bombadil is part of several false starts to Frodo's journey, and you cannot have things happening quite so episodically; that's not what storytelling is all about."
If I had read that before seeing the movie, I would have had a heart attack. I can understand a justification for removing Bombadil, but that ain't one of em :rolleyes. Isn't that basically saying: "We're not sticking to the original story because Tolkien wasn't a good storyteller"?
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:23 AM   #73
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

True, that's not a very flattering quote for her. But I guess movie storytelling is different from long-book storytelling and world-creating. To have a believable mythology you have to have some things that are unexplainable, but it might not make a good adventure sequence--if that's what you're aiming for. :/

The mistake that bugged me the most was the disappearing hand during Boromir's death scene. I noticed this slightly the first time, but was paying more attention to Boromir so it didn't distract me, but the next two times I was so annoyed by the way Boromir's hand appears and disappears that I couldn't focus on the emotion of the scene. At first I wasn't sure if I was seeing right, but I'm certain now that it's a blooper.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 08:58 AM   #74
anduin
Entwife

Yeah, I noticed that one too....continuity error. A friend of mine who didn't like the movie btw, pointed that out on his first (and I assume only) viewing. I wish he hadn't pointed it out to me because now it bothers me and that is probably my favorite scene of the entire movie.

Good to see you back Elanor!
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:16 AM   #75
fedos
Hobbit

Yeah, as I said my brother pointed it out to me on my second viewing, his first. Really destroyed the emotional feeling of the scene because it was so distracting.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:32 PM   #76
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I have seen the movie three times and I still haven't seen the "car." Oh well, next time . . . I think I was too busy looking at Frodo . . . *slaps self back to reality* Anyway, I didn't notice the thing with Boromir's hand disappearing and reappearing.

By the way, Bropous . . . what does EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO mean?

~Laurelyn

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 04:45 PM   #77
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I've seen the movie four times and STILL not noticed the headlights, or this thing with Boromir's hand!!!

Quote:
Really destroyed the emotional feeling of the scene because it was so distracting.
Are you serious? Does it really matter that much? Come on, folks, just watch the movie!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 05:54 PM   #78
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO means---

"Extremely insightful and deeply reflective individuals of rare character and quality who share a deep and abiding knowledge of literary masterworks of extreme detail and delightful creativity, without whom the incredible works of a tremendously talented Oxford professor would fade into obscurity"

That's his title for Tolkien fans. I love it!
I never noticed the hand thing, the car, headlights, anything...except the pillows. I still hate those awful things.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 12:57 AM   #79
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

I have either noticed, or read about all these things, except for the pillows. Haven't noticed, and this is the first itme i have heard about it.
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 06:55 AM   #80
coolismo
Enting

hit with a frying pan

I love it when Sam whacks someone with the frying pan. Great sound in the cinema yesterday really got a great clang and crump when it hit. You hear the rush of air as it heads for its target, really makes my shoulders go up every time. Daft though I cant bloody rmember if its the hill troll im Moria or the orcs at the river who cop it. Anyone remember? BTW I love a movie where someone gets hit with a frypan, Indiana Jones did it as well....
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote