Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #61
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Spock - here's a link to Arianna Huffington's website, and it lists all the books she's written.

http://www.ariannaonline.com/books/fools/index.php

Here's a pic of her...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #62
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty Ent
I have nothing against her, except for the fact that she's too conservative for my taste. And no, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm absolutely serious. There isn't a single viable Democrat in my opinion, since the Dems have swung so far to the right they have simply become Republican Lite, imo. :shrug:

First we must examine Hillary's new stance[s].
She's pandering to George Bush's followers with "I support the war". I support the war too...xcept I'm not going to run for President in '08...
Parents too: she wants to look like she cares about the moral degradation The Next Generation is going through. Every politician should...and I do to. But I'm not conveniently saying/ thinking that to get more votes.

What she's trying to do is grab Bush's voters, and try to hold on to the Liberal voters too.

Now, every politician is guilty at some point of "garnering" votes because of what they've said. Even Bush.
But what we should be watching is consistency in a politicians beliefs.
It's one thing if, say,Frist were going to remain Senate Majority Leader, and change his stance on embryo stem cell research, and REMAIN what he is. It's another if he is going to run for President, and conveniently changes his stance so that the majority of people who will vote on that issue will vote for him.
But this isnt about B. Frist, it's about Hillary. And if you look into her history, she was ALWAYS supremely liberal. And if she's changed a cent since then, it's because she plans to run. She's hung on her husbands coatail the whole time.
Compare this with Condi, who rose on her own (she's not married) to one of the top positions in politics (for good or bad is an individual's opinion.)
Someone above mentioned that she changed parties in the eighties. Understadable. The Dems aren't what they use to be, and The Republicans today are looking more like the Dems of Yesterday.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #63
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I hate to dissapoint a lot of people in here, but I think I AM going to go into politics at some point.
So many politicians are dishonest, yes. I feel I should go into Politics because I am honest. Someone has to do the dirty work.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:29 AM   #64
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well I wish you the best of luck Hector (and I'm not being snarky when I say any of this), but if you take some Politics classes you'll see that most political races aren't won by the honest people.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:04 PM   #65
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

"rosebud"
:Citizen Kane
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #66
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Indeed!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:12 PM   #67
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Spock - here's a link to Arianna Huffington's website, and it lists all the books she's written.
Thanks, I realize now I was thinking of Karen Hughes and her book Ten Minutes from Normal.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #68
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Are you suggesting I am racist, or something? 'Cause it sure sounds like you are.
'Ignore the successful, responsible, powerful woman?' What about Arianna Huffington - do you read what others post here, or just seek out opportunities to jump up and down on them as an afternoon pastime?
Oh - and 4 your information, inked, this may come as an enormous SHOCKER to you, but I have been registered as a Republican since I first started to vote at 18. Almost every time I've voted in any primary election, I've voted a straight republican ticket - the only exception was Clinton, in '92. My step-father has been a House Representative for most of my life, so I grew up with a pretty exhaustive political education.
Feeling a bit tetchy, are we? Probably because of Arianna's supporters you know Al Franken would make her best running mate. Look at his brutal honesty: "Her book needs to be on every booksehelf...next to mine."

I never suggested you were a racist. I asked a question. You can answer yes, no, or maybe. Or you can start innuendo and flaming emotional remarks with no substantive basis in reality. Suite yourself!

Hey, I'm not even Republican! But I have voted Republican and split-tickets, too. Do I get a special prize? And I have been voting since I was 18 or it was legal, whichever came first, cause I'm so old I forget things! Do I get another special prize or a ribbon?

No offence to your stepfather but I thought the general sense of the thread was that politicians weren't educable even, much less other than out for themselves. So much so, in fact, that Hector is worried already what we think about him planning to be a politico!

And I wasn't really looking for anyone to jump up and down on - particularly- other than Hilary-or children-or the homeless-or some unsuspecting republican who voted for Clinton due to the minlink IR loaned me for the occasion........ !
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #69
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
animal farm actually depicts are society quite well... some people are more equal than others

on the "principles" thing... people idealize political movements (on both sides) and rarely look at the details of what these parties actually enact

economically, neither party is very realistic... socially, i side with the democrats on most issues
Perhaps, BJ, we could establish a rapport on the basis of your understanding of ANIMAL FARM.

I AM THE MOSTEST EQUALEST OF ANY ANIMAL.

Now, which other animal do you want to be (if I take it to the committee and if the committee approves and.....)?

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 09-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #70
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Now you're making a guarded flame-attempt at my step-father. I really, really do not like you very much, inked.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #71
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

*****warning To All Posters********

Let Us Not Name Call

Debate The Issues

Do Not Denegrate The Poster

Last edited by Spock : 09-30-2005 at 01:23 PM. Reason: getting too warm here
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #72
rohirrim TR

come on spock it was just getting good, hector was getting a glimpse of what real politics is
"rosebud"
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #73
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

****I'm not kidding on this****
Old 09-30-2005, 05:16 PM   #74
rohirrim TR

I wasn't entirely kidding either spock, politics is filled with mudslinging just like what was about to start before you stopped it
"rosebud"
Quote:
Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #75
Mercutio

What's with rosebud? That has nothing to do with political mudslinging...except in one really long and convoluted "because this happed then this happened and this could've happened" type thing.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:38 PM   #76
rohirrim TR

its from citizen kane, every time i post in a political thread i say that, its random its funny... you can laugh you know...really...*crickets chirping*
"rosebud"
Quote:
Old 09-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #77
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Well, the topic in question is "Is a woman president controversial." Guess this means "yes."

Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 AM   #78
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I would like to see a female Canadian Prime Minister... if she was the best candidate. I wouldn't vote for her otherwise, but given the current competition, our hypothetical female candidate might do quite well.

In Canada, the Prime Minister is the leader of the party that wins the most seats. Not a lot of women seem to go into politics, I'd guess about a quarter or so of MPs are women. My own MP, Betty Hinton, is fairly competant, even though I think her party is utterly useless.
Belinda Stronach nearly won the leadership of the Conservative party. Then, in theory anyway, she might have been Prime Minister.

Hector, you should have specified "Is a woman American President controversial?" A lot of countries have Presidents, and some of them already have female presidents.

Nerdanel already mentioned Tarja Hallonen, Finland's President. IIRC she has over 90% approval rating. My Finnish friend said that, but I don't know what her source was. Ms. Hallonen does seem very popular.

Latvia also has a woman President, Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga [Wikipedia link]. She recently said that Russia should apologize for occupying her country. Now I think she's pretty darn cool. It takes guts to tell the current Russian government stuff like that, especially since they're neighbours. Yay Latvia!

Chandrika Kumaratunga has been the President of Sri Lanka since 1994. [Wikipedia link] She's the first woman President I had ever heard of.

Now, these women don't seem controversial just for being women presidents, so I don't see why an American one would be.

I think the President of the USA has to have served in the military for some time. (But this might not be true since I learned it from television.)
This might be a barrier to a woman president if true, since not a lot of women are in the army.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-01-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:17 AM   #79
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Good points, Nuvingiel...
Here are some world woman Presidents for all of us to see:

http://www.terra.es/personal2/monolith/00women2.htm

Old 10-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #80
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, I didn't see Chirauc there? or Margaret Thatcher? What's up with that?

(Hector, I trust you are noting that it is impossible to please all of the people any of the time? Just a little political adroitness thing! You must learn to make it appear as if you could and would if you cared to do so!)