Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #61
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I understand the religious view of "everyone is important to God", and I agree with it. I suppose I was looking at it from more of a literal perspective at that moment.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #62
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Khamul, that picture you put up a few posts back is gorgeous; I wish I knew where to find more like it online.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #63
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

K, great photo!
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:26 AM   #64
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Thanks.

Here's the original Hubble Deep Field, which was taken over a period of ten days in 1995.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...ep_hst_big.jpg

Apparently, there was another one taken in 1998.

The picture I posted is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, taken over a period of months in 2004. Here's a link to a much-enlarged version of the one earlier in the thread.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...df_hst_big.jpg

To look for other pictures, try running a search for Hubble Deep Field.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #65
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
We have free will and we messed up, it's a thing that I don't think God'll change - here at least, not in heaven - So, oh well might as well go back to disprooveing UFOs
Unidentified Flying Objects can't be disproven because well, they exist. If I hit a radar aerial with my frisbee, maybe a blobb will show up on the radar's computers - a blobb that evidently is flying and can't be identified, a UFO.
Don't mix up UFO's with flying saucers or aliens .

You might want to explain this one - a few years ago I was told that a silent, blinking saucer-like thing landed on our neighbours' house lot on the island where we have our cabin. It flew in from the sea. I wasn't there personally but a few relatives of mine witnessed the event.

Quote:
All that you need to know that I know that Aleins don't exist ...
One cannot "know" such a thing. IMO it would be more correct to say that you "strongly believe" that they don't exist
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #66
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Of course aliens exist; just go to the Arizona/Mexican border sometime and wait
or you could check under a bridge near Trondheim

sorry Pytt, I had to say that

Last edited by Spock : 05-22-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 AM   #67
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
I understand the religious view of "everyone is important to God", and I agree with it. I suppose I was looking at it from more of a literal perspective at that moment.
Okay, well from a very literal perspective, I'd respond that it's all relative, all a matter of perspective.

It's good to have an idea how small you are compared to some things. However, it's impossible to deny that you're also staggeringly huge in comparison to other things. You are a living planet Earth to billions of living organisms that inhabit you, eat on you, live and die on you. There are hundreds, probably thousands of different species on you at this moment. You are an astounding creature in size and complexity. Your understanding is massively superior to those of billions of smaller species.

Many of those smaller species, in turn, are massively superior to other even smaller creatures. It's just the way things are. We are incredibly small and huge at the same time, as most things are. Even a galaxy is that way. Even a universe is that way, when compared to the Almighty.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:56 AM   #68
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'd like to appologize in advance for the grave sin I am about to act out in making a highly off topic comment, but...

Quote:
Many of those smaller species, in turn, are massively superior to other even smaller creatures. It's just the way things are. We are incredibly small and huge at the same time, as most things are. Even a galaxy is that way. Even a universe is that way, when compared to the Almighty.

Judge me by my size, do you? Hmmmm?

*rolls around laughing*
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:15 AM   #69
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Judge me by my size, do you? Hmmmm?

*rolls around laughing*
(Smiles sleepily)
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #70
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
All right, now if God did create another intelagent bunch that didn't fall they would:

A:Look alot like us- god made us in his own image,if he he did it again he keep that.

B:Not were cloths- It was becolse of the fall of man that we were to were cloths (Sorry about this but it must be said) .

C:Not have any tecnolagy- Nesity is the mother of invention...

This prooves that UFOs cannot be aleins.
If they are realy spaceships they would be:

A:Time travlers.

B:Angels.

C:I've allready said something that might be censored, I'm not going to say this...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #71
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Capitals As It's Faster -not Shouting

[QUOTE=me9996]All right, now if God did create another intelagent bunch that didn't fall they would:

A:Look alot like us- god made us in his own image,if he he did it again he keep that. SINCE WE HAVE NOT SEEN THE FACE OF GOD THIS STATEMENT IS FAULTY LOGIC AT BEST

B:Not were cloths- It was becolse of the fall of man that we were to were cloths (Sorry about this but it must be said) . NOT TRUE, THE ONE WOULD BE CAPABLE OF CREATING MORE THAN ONE MORALITY AND CERTAINLY MORE THAN ONE LIFE FORM

C:Not have any tecnolagy- Nesity is the mother of invention... EACH LIFE FORM DEVELOPS INDEPENDENTLY OF ANOTHERS EXPECTATIONS

A:Time travlers. IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT THEY ARE

B:Angels. DOUBTFULL

THE POSSIBLE IS ONLY LIMITED BY MAN'S ABILITY TO IMAGINE.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:33 AM   #72
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Just popping my head in again to point out a tiny misunderstanding:

When God created us 'in His image', it doesn't mean that we look like him. God is a spirit--he does not naturally have a 'physical' appearance. What they're talking about is how He gave us a soul and a spirit that are like His own.

We could be tiny, fuzzy black things that floated around on little butterfly wings--but so long as we had a soul and spirit we would be 'in His image'.

Remember that, at least in part, the point of Adam and Eve 'putting on clothes' was not so much that they suddenly realized they were naked and so decided to invent the hoola skirt, but that their morality was layed bare. If the alians came from a planet that was freezing cold, and their normal skin wasn't enough to keep them warm, I'm sure they would create clothes to keep themselves from freezing to death.

There are so many problems with the idea of time travel that I, myself, don't think it's really possible.

They could be angels, but some how I don't think angels randomly wander down to earth and say "Ooooh. I'll let someone see me today... but I'm gonna look like a FOOTBALL! Yeah! Lets do it!"
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:43 AM   #73
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Well, not all of the UFO sightings are the same, Tessar. I heard one recently when talking with my grandmother, which she learned of when watching a television program. In that one, about seven different professionals (firemen and the like) in different places saw the UFO. The first one looked up into the sky and saw a strange light flashing through it. He passed the word on, and the next professional person also saw it and passed on the message. Others saw this odd light as well. That was a UFO.

Many people that have seen these strange things have had occult background. I definitely won't say all of them, of course. Anyway, just some things to think about.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:53 AM   #74
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Posted by Dúnedain in the Norway thread

Quote:
Norway Shenanigans

UFO could have been electrocuted cat

Experts say a reported UFO sighting in Norway was probably an electrocuted cat.

People in Lardal reported seeing a fire ball explode in the night sky and fall slowly down to earth.

But investigators think they've solved the mystery after the charred body of a cat was found at the foot of an electrical mast.

They believe the unlucky cat climbed up the mast and touched a live wire, reports Aftenposten.

Lars Helge Sogn says what people saw was the cat exploding and falling off the mast.

Story filed: 15:58 Tuesday 25th March 2003
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #75
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I've spend most of my life studying and reading about UFO's not to mention eight years as a UFO investigator, this is the most ridiculous explantion I ever heard.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:02 AM   #76
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

They don't say all UFO's are electrocuting cats, just this one sighting. I can think of a lot of silly things that can be cause for a strange light in a sky.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #77
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..nor did I say that...sigh

Last edited by Spock : 05-28-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #78
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Sorry, seem to have bumped into the Language Barrier again with that one, because I thought you did.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #79
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
[QUOTE=Spock]
Quote:
All right, now if God did create another intelagent bunch that didn't fall they would:

A:Look alot like us- god made us in his own image,if he he did it again he keep that. SINCE WE HAVE NOT SEEN THE FACE OF GOD THIS STATEMENT IS FAULTY LOGIC AT BEST

B:Not were cloths- It was becolse of the fall of man that we were to were cloths (Sorry about this but it must be said) . NOT TRUE, THE ONE WOULD BE CAPABLE OF CREATING MORE THAN ONE MORALITY AND CERTAINLY MORE THAN ONE LIFE FORM

C:Not have any tecnolagy- Nesity is the mother of invention... EACH LIFE FORM DEVELOPS INDEPENDENTLY OF ANOTHERS EXPECTATIONS

A:Time travlers. IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT THEY ARE

B:Angels. DOUBTFULL

THE POSSIBLE IS ONLY LIMITED BY MAN'S ABILITY TO IMAGINE.
Justifing:

A:In the Bible it says that we were created in Gods image...

B:If one had not modisty nor proplem with the cold one would need no cloths.

C:Neseity is the mother of invention, why? Becoulse otherwise there'd be no reson to invent!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #80
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Me#, you do realise that randomly repeating arguments does not make them right?
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote