Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #61
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

hmm i actually agree with JD in this topic.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:26 AM   #62
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Whew - targeting a school where there's lots of kids - really sick. Poor Russians

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:48 AM   #63
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

333 confirmed dead. 260 unaccounted for and presumed dead.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 AM   #64
Radagast
Elven Warrior

I do not buy the 'Russian Government is to blame' argument. Vladimir Putin was elected on the promise to end the Chechen problem, using force if neccessary. Therefore how can you blame the Government for giving the people what they want? If anything, blame the Russian people (not that I do).
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:40 AM   #65
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Well, I partly agree with Grey_Wolf when he says that the Russian government is the root of this conflict. And that is NOT the same as saying "they deserved it"! BUT, they have been leading a cruel war against Checknya. How many children have been killed in that war? I don't think Al Qaida would have been so present in Checknya without this war.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #66
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
they have been leading a cruel war against Checknya.
How has the war in Chechnya been more cruel than any other war? Is 'leading a war' in itself a justification for terrorist acts? Remember, though the war against Chechnya explains everything it defends absolutely nothing. Their actions were indefensible, and to cast Putin, who after all is the head of a democratically elected government, as the villain in this affair is to cast the victim as the perpetrator.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #67
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast
How has the war in Chechnya been more cruel than any other war? Is 'leading a war' in itself a justification for terrorist acts?
I did not say any of these things. All wars are terrible, and I will not range them. But there is not to be denied that the war in Chechnya has cost many lives, also the lives of children, as in any other war. The civilians in Chechnya have suffered much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast
Remember, though the war against Chechnya explains everything it defends absolutely nothing.
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to get across. Trying to explain WHY is NOT a defence of the terrorists and their acts. I agree that it is totally unacceptable. But I also think that understanding WHY will help us in our struggle to not let it happen again.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:01 PM   #68
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I did not say any of these things. All wars are terrible, and I will not range them. But there is not to be denied that the war in Chechnya has cost many lives, also the lives of children, as in any other war. The civilians in Chechnya have suffered much.Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to get across. Trying to explain WHY is NOT a defence of the terrorists and their acts. I agree that it is totally unacceptable. But I also think that understanding WHY will help us in our struggle to not let it happen again.
Me being the guilty one for turning the discussion away from the atrocities committed by the terrorists and pointing it towards the cause of it all, I sincerely appologize.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #69
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

No this is a interesting discussion.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #70
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
Me being the guilty one for turning the discussion away from the atrocities committed by the terrorists and pointing it towards the cause of it all, I sincerely appologize.
I don't see it as the cause actually. Chechnya is part of Russia and has been. It's like saying that if a state wanted to leave the Union - we should just let them. Why? Why should Russia give up Chechnya anymore than we should have let the south leave the Union? Chechnya is PART of Russia and it is their decision as to what they do with it. Russia did NOT start the war in Chechnya - the independent movement did. So if you want someone to blame - blame them. Britain didn't just let us leave the British Empire - we had to fight for it. Of course that's not even the same thing though - because we were just colonies at that time - not actually a part of Britain like Chechnya is actually a part of Russia.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:51 AM   #71
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I don't see it as the cause actually. Chechnya is part of Russia and has been. It's like saying that if a state wanted to leave the Union - we should just let them. Why? Why should Russia give up Chechnya anymore than we should have let the south leave the Union? Chechnya is PART of Russia and it is their decision as to what they do with it. Russia did NOT start the war in Chechnya - the independent movement did. So if you want someone to blame - blame them. Britain didn't just let us leave the British Empire - we had to fight for it. Of course that's not even the same thing though - because we were just colonies at that time - not actually a part of Britain like Chechnya is actually a part of Russia.
Of course, you're right. Russia doesn't want to break up into little pieces any more than the United States want to give up any of it's states. I was in the wrong here. I'm apologize for dragging this off-topic discussion out.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 09-06-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:16 AM   #72
Telcontar_Dunedain

If everywhere did that then countries would either not exist or they would be the size of cities.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 AM   #73
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Not Really. Chechnya is not an area populated by Russians, that just want to be seperated from Russia. It's a nation/folk/people or whatever it is in English, that has different culture, history, religion, language, etc. They were recognized as distinct people since the 17th century (or so 3 encyclopedias said, but they probably copy each other ), and fight the Russian many times in past, and tried to be free. It's suddenly 10 years ago that they decided to break off Russia.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #74
Telcontar_Dunedain

But still just because they are different from the Russians they can't just decide to leave Russia.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #75
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Why can't they? It's like the Empires in Europe 200 years ago - they rule other nations, which are now free independence countries - Greece, Serbia, Poland, etc. I think they should've gave Chechnya to the Chechens long time ago, but I also think that now Russia can't really give them their own country - of a principal not to give terror what it wants, which only strengthen it and encourage it.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:15 PM   #76
Telcontar_Dunedain

It's part of Russia, why should Russia just allow them to leave.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #77
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
It's part of Russia, why should Russia just allow them to leave.
It's not exactly part of Russia, IMO. It didn't willingly joined Russia, but was conquered, 150 years ago. It's a nation, different from any other is the world - they are Chechens, not Russians...ethnic, as they're obviously citizens of Russia.
If they're different, they'd obviously want to have their own land, with their own government, language, rules, etc.
Russia didn't just allow them, and see what happens? Was it worth the land, that wouldn't otherwise affect any other Russian citizern? I don't think so. You might think it does.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #78
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well, Wales is happy to be ruled by the English priminister, aren't they. Anyway even if they did deserve to leave Russia, they don't anymore. The terrorism just makes matters worse for themselves.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #79
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Well, Wales is happy to be ruled by the English priminister, aren't they. Anyway even if they did deserve to leave Russia, they don't anymore. The terrorism just makes matters worse for themselves.
So? I'm saying that they have the right to be seperate of Russia if they want to.

As I said in a post some time ago, I do agree that now they shouldn't get independence.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #80
Telcontar_Dunedain

They have to agree with the Russians first though, surely.