Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #61
武士 of Hawks
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
What genre of music is your favorite?

At what age did you start really getting interested in music?/What type of music were you raised on?

How often do you attend a concert?

Do you admire Beethoven? (yes or no)

Do you admire the Beatles?

How often do you listen to Classical Music? do you like it?

Has your music tastes changed over the last five/ten years? (or any number of years)

What do you think of Norah Jones? do you like the jazzy flavor of her music?

Which do/would you like better, Rock or Pop?

Who is your favorite musician/band?

In your opinion, is music better now than it was back in the 70's 80's 90's? (I'm probably talking about rock here....)

Do you think that Led Zeppelin was influenced by Tolkien for some of their songs?

Do you play an instrument?/which instrument?
1. J-pop/rock, Nu metal, Hard Rock, Techno/Trance, and symfony

2. I got interested in music at the age of ten. In the beginning I listened to: Halvdan Sivertsen (Norwegian folkmusic artist), Kizz, and Metallica.

3.Almost.. NEVER!

4. ...no..

5. Kinda

6. I listen to it when I feel for it I was really into it before (I've got a whole bunch of Zelda symphonies), but I still like it

7. Absolutely!!!

8. I don't know who she is

9.Rock

10. Papa Roach, and Trapt.

11. Not sure, Some of the old music is cool, but I prefere Today-Music

12. Led Zeppelin

13. Nope..

Last edited by 武士 of Hawks : 05-04-2006 at 05:42 PM.
武士 of Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #62
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Perhaps this is a good time to revive this thread?
how does that go again.... "all that is lost is not..."
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #63
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:

At what age did you start really getting interested in music?/What type of music were you raised on?

Has your music tastes changed over the last five/ten years? (or any number of years)

In your opinion, is music better now than it was back in the 70's 80's 90's? (I'm probably talking about rock here....)

Do you think that Led Zeppelin was influenced by Tolkien for some of their songs?

My favorite style is barbershop. I can sing any of the four parts, though as I age I find the higher notes are harder to sing. When I sing karaoke I tend toward Elvis, Frankie, Cole Porter, that sort of thing.

I really started getting into at in church as a kid. I was a boy soprano. My parents met in the church choir and my Mom played organ, so we were all singers. I got drafted as a boy soprano in 2nd grade.

I give more concerts than I attend. I go to a few a year. I tend to spend such money on plays. Love Shakespeare!

Beethoven, yes.

Beatles, yes.

Classical, love it, big opera fan. I think I told the story about my entrance to opera fandom before, but I'll repeat it. I was new in my school, a transplanted 7th grader, and I was thin and poor so I wore hand-me-downs that didn't fit, which made me a target. So I used to stay inside the school during recess. That's when I heard the singing. It was coming from a classroom. The teacher would listen to opera during recess. It was beautiful It expresssed my loneliness and alienation. I got closer. Over the week I went from hiding in the bathroom to sitting in the stairwell outside that classroom. Sudddenly I was jolted from my reveries by the teacher. He asked me why I wasn't outside playing. I blurted out that I didn't want to go outside, I wanted to listen to the music. So he let me into that classroom (it was eighth grade, I felt so mature!) and showed me how to read a libretto. Then he tols me when Milton Cross was going to do the Texaco Opera thing from the Met that weekend. Next thing you know, my Mom and I were listening to operas every saturday together. The first album I bought was Toscanini's La Boheme. The second was a three record set of arias and songs performed by Franco Corelli. You can still find the arias in a collection called Heroes, but it's not the complete set that I had back then. moving on...

My musical taste changed a fair amount over the years. In my late teens I was a jazz snob (i.e. I refused to isten to anything but jazz.) Then in my twenties I did the same thing with classical. But I finally mellowed out and I try to treat each piece of art on its own terms. For instance I never used to like Frank Sinatra, but now I listen to him sometimes and will cover him at karaoke too.

Norah is OK. She sings Hoagy so she can't be all bad.

Of the two, I lean Rock-ish. Especially progressive stuff that takes some musicianship to play.

Favorites, hmmm... I wept when George Harrison died. I was very upset when John Lennon was shot. But it may have been the message of Love, y'know, that I wept for. I have all of Pink Floyd, most of Jethro Tull, but if I were to weigh the percentages on my iPod, right now there's more Verdi than anything else.

My opinion about music now versus then? No, it's pretty much the same. Compared to the nineteenth century, I'd say it's not better.

Led Zep, I dunno. Gollum stole his girlfriend, I guess, but I think that was a schoolmate that was called Gollum or something. Except something about Misty N Mountain, right? I really don't know. Not my cuppa.

I play guitar, bass, ukulele, a little sitar, a little keyboards, and sing, so I use my 24-track recorder for vanity reasons.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #64
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
I listen to just about everything. My favorite would have to be classic rock though.

I've always had an interest in music but didn't realy get interested untill I was about 12 and heard Led Zepplin for the first time.

I use to go a lot but haven't been to one in about 2 yrs now. I really need to try and see one this summer. Any suggestions?

Sure do. He played the piano like Jordan played basketball. Huh?

I admire what they did for music but I'm not a big fan.

Hardly ever, it's okay.

I go through phases. One month I will listen to a lot of hip-hop the next will be country, and then next might be heavy metal. Just depends on the mood I guess.

I like Norah Jones. She's got a good sound and her voice is soothing.

Rock, hands down.

It's a toss up between The Doors and Led Zepp.

Absolutely not.

Lets see. Plant named his dog Strider, he makes LotR references in many songs, I'm going to say yes.

I played the trombone in the grade school band. Does that count?