Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #61
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Is there a system of independent inspections, league tables etc? I'm guessing not...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:16 PM   #62
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
Oh Janny, you do disappoint me It's right next to Magdalen College School, remember? Over the bridge? And there will be no rude comments about Hildabeests, if you please

Are Harvard, Yale and Princeton basically the same for political science/history? Obviously they're all good, but isn't one better than the others in that particular field?
Tsch! I always disappoint!
Do you intend to study political science stroke history? I thought you didn't ace history? Plus would you ever raise the ackers to go to a US uni? Or are you just working on those OC / Dawson's Creek dreams?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #63
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

here's the top of the US News Report (they do these yearly, but you have to pay to view entire list online):

Political Science
Ranked in 2001*

Rank/School Average assessment
score (5 = highest)
1. Harvard University (MA) 4.9
2. Stanford University (CA) 4.7
3. University of California–Berkeley 4.7
4. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor 4.7

the london school of economics has global rankings in political science:

#1 is columbia, #2 harvard, #9 princeton, #10 yale

which basically tells you that anyone in the top ten is pretty darn good
Old 04-07-2004, 01:38 PM   #64
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Now that's helpful Brownie. You guys talking about Oxford and old boys clubs are getting a little OT there.

Rankings like the one Brownie posted are useful, but they don't always tell the whole story. I think The Gaffer had really good advice about choosing the subject first, location second, and institution last.

MacLean's magazine does a fairly in-depth ranking of Canadian universities. UBC, the one I attend for Forestry, ranked 5th the year I enrolled. However, the uni's that beat it didn't have Forestry departments of note.

So it all depends what you want. Forestry at UBC wasn't mentioned in the review at all, but I didn't really care because I already knew it was good.

Another important factor is extracurricular opportunities. Do you want to go on exchange? Play sports? Join clubs? Make sure they have the opportunities you hope to enjoy. Do you want to live in res? Is it the sort of atmosphere you enjoy?

A great tool is talking to students who go or have gone there. They'll tell you both the good and the bad of the universities.

I noticed Yale doesn't seem to be popular among the Mooter's in this thread, but ultimately it's your decision. If you pick Yale or any of your choices I'm sure it will be the best decision for you.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:26 PM   #65
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I just have to weigh in on an issue that seems so relevant to discussions I've been having with all my friends at school as well (being a HS senior causes discussions like that, eh?)
From my visits and those of my friends, I would have to call for Harvard. It has extremely enjoyable classes, especially in government oriented areas, such as the one on the history of US political theory I sat in on when I visited. The dorms are incredibly nice, and the dining hall as well. The people are too. And Boston kicks the butt of Princeton, NJ from my visit experience, and New Haven.
Princeton and Yale are of course, good choices too.
And before I sign off, might as well mention I may be biased by the fact that I'm going to Harvard next year...
Oh well.
And congrats on being accepted everywhere: that's freaking tough.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #66
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Or maybe... as Tom Cruise says in Risky Business:

"Well... I guess it's the University of Illinois for me!"

(as a U of I grad, I can say that - in fact, the movie came out my freshman year there, I believe... and this line was soaked up just like Hal's final words in 2001 - A Space Odyssey)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 04-11-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #67
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
here's the top of the US News Report (they do these yearly, but you have to pay to view entire list online):

Political Science
Ranked in 2001*

Rank/School Average assessment
score (5 = highest)
1. Harvard University (MA) 4.9
2. Stanford University (CA) 4.7
3. University of California–Berkeley 4.7
4. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor 4.7

the london school of economics has global rankings in political science:

#1 is columbia, #2 harvard, #9 princeton, #10 yale

which basically tells you that anyone in the top ten is pretty darn good
I saw the US News report one.. Princeton is in the top 10 (I think #7 or something) and the scores are so close.

Well, Ben, I suppose you can always go visit the campuses before you choose and make up your own mind.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:23 PM   #68
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Harvard, Princeton tie for best college
The Associated Press
August 25th, 2003

For the fourth consecutive year, Princeton University has topped the U.S. News & World Report annual ranking of "America’s Best Colleges," this time sharing the top spot with Harvard University, which was second last year.

Yale University is ranked third, with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology fourth. Four schools -- the California Institute of Technology, Duke University, Stanford University and the University of Pennsylvania -- share the fifth spot.

The University of California-Berkeley and the University of Virginia, tied at No. 21, are the top-rated public universities. Williams College in Williamstown, Mass., is rated the country’s best liberal arts college.

U.S. News uses a formula that includes graduation and retention rates, faculty resources and other factors to determine the rankings, which are both popular and controversial. Critics have long contended that parents and high school students rely far too heavily on U.S. News in choosing schools, and that colleges gear some of their efforts -- such as admissions -- toward getting high rankings.

This year’s results will be published in the today’s edition of the magazine.
I don't think the 2004 results have been released. I think the best colleges of 2004 list will be released in August. Of course this is just the overall best college, not necessarily specific to any major or anything.

[EDIT]Princeton every year makes a statement that states that college rankinsg are a personal thing and that people should not use college rankings to base which college is the best for them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-09-2004 at 11:27 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:48 AM   #69
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/depart...hools&GT1=3256
Old 04-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #70
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/depart...hools&GT1=3256
Sminty - interesting what they said about Princeton.

Quote:
2. Princeton University
Princeton University is arguably the most undergraduate-friendly member of the Ivy League. Other institutions at a similar level of prestige often promote their powerful professional schools in business, law, and/or medicine, but not Princeton. Here, the focus is on the college student. The students surveyed here are consistently among the nation's most satisfied with their overall academic experience. A sophomore sums it up as "my dream come true."

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-10-2004 at 10:54 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #71
Mercutio

There are studies showing that those graduating from Ivy League schools and those graduating from state universites do the same in the long run--except if you're going into politics!

I don't really know which to reccommend, though. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #72
Ben
Retired Ent

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I've decided to attend Harvard University. I had a really good time at their admitted students weekend. We went into Boston one night and I love the idea of being so close to that mass of culture, entertainment, and college students. I was also very impressed with their Institute of Politics club, which hosts a different distinguished speaker every 10 days. Members are very likely to land prime internships, if they're interested.

The stereotypes of Harvard unfriendliness were totally demolished. People were constantly wandering in and out of my host's suite to chat. They were also modest: three prefrosh told me that they had met at "a science fair," and it took a little prodding for them to reveal that they were actually Intel (formerly Westinghouse) Science Winners.

Yale was also great. New Haven was much better than you may have heard. Students seemed to be having a good time and they were uniformly enthusiastic about their school.

I didn't like the atmosphere at Princeton. I wasn't keen on the eating clubs, which upperclassmen either apply for or are chosen via lottery, depending on the club. That system reeks of exclusion and elitism, imo. The housing situation seemed tight: my host had a triple bunkbed. They're building new dorms, but their completion will result in an influx of 500 new students. I believe that this will dilute Princeton's current "edge" in undergraduate focus, if it exists. Plus, it's too close to home.

It was extremely tough between Harvard and Yale, and it came down to the nuances. I happened to talk to more interesting people at Harvard. I realize that my random encounters are not necessarily indicative of anything, but I have to base my decision on something. The prefrosh I met at Harvard were extremely diverse and articulate.

It still feels unreal rejecting Yale and Princeton. Naturally, I would have been happy to attend either of those schools had things turned out differently.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:26 PM   #73
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Wow, congrats Ben. And good choice. Who knows, maybe you'll bump into Brownjenkins?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 AM   #74
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nice one, best of luck mate. What are you going to study, and what's a "prefrosh"?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #75
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

congrats ben! good choice!

if you ever wander into a bar and see a band called 'picture this' playing, i'm the guy on bass... we don't gig anywhere near as much as we use to, but still play in town from time to time

edit ~ now that i think of it... since you're probably eighteenish that may be a while

Last edited by brownjenkins : 04-28-2004 at 09:30 AM.
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:37 AM   #76
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Best wishes Ben. My friend also had positive experiences on his visits, etc. - all those years ago. Everyone has a somewhat unique experience within whichever context they live though - so you'll have your own personal ups & downs regardless. I've always maintained that you can find whatever you're looking for wherever you go.

Oh, and, uh ... beware of brownjenkins!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:49 AM   #77
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Congratulations, Ben, and the best of luck as you pursue your education. I hope you have a great experience at Harvard (and in Boston). Well done!!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:28 AM   #78
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

ocngratulations ben
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote