Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #61
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I found another list - 25 most safe and dangerous cities in the USA.

my city was in the top 25 safest. cool

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:40 PM   #62
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
eh, I don't know of any amazing pizza in NJ.

Some good pizza, but certainly nothing better than any other state.

A lot of good pizza in NY - John's pizza is very good.
You just like disagreeing with me don't you tristan. You go to crap places I'm sure anyway. Your idea of good pizza is probably frozen from the grocery store.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-08-2004 at 09:42 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:52 PM   #63
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
You just like disagreeing with me don't you tristan. You go to crap places I'm sure anyway. Your idea of good pizza is probably frozen from the grocery store.

heh.

I've lived in NJ all my life and I say in no way is NJ pizza superior to any other pizza in any other state.

I see you edited in that last sentence about frozen pizzas.....why?

I think frozen pizza tastes horrible.

Thin crust pizza? I hate thin crust pizza. I also hate unos. They are horrible.

There are many great places to get pizza in NJ, but there are great places to get pizza in other states too , ya think?

One of my favorite pizza places is John's Pizza in NYC

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #64
Brian
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Are there other Vancouvers I don't know about?
theres a vancouver in washington( sorry i cant spell) and on in b.c canada

slipknot rules and norco is still the best!!

my fourm need ppl!!

http://www.casev.com/lotr/
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:22 PM   #65
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Well JD, NJ & NY pizza is really the same, so we are really agreeing to disagree here, lol. Let's band together against the tricksey deep dish crap!

I do sorely miss the pizza though, all there is out here is pizza chain crap. Though I did find a pizzeria out here about 30 minutes away, and guess what? The dude is from NY

Here is the key to good pizza:

1. If the crust cracks when you fold it, it's quality

2. If the slices of pizza are the size of 3 slices from pizza hut (or other chain pizza places)

Here is a good sign, and your chances go up for the pizza being good, if the following things are said or available:

1. If it is referred to as a "pie", such as "I'd like to order a pie" or "What would you like on your pie?"

2. If you can buy a "slice", such as "I'll have 2 slices" or "How many slices would you like?"

'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 02-08-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #66
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Well JD, NJ & NY pizza is really the same, so we are really agreeing to disagree here, lol. Let's band together against the tricksey deep dish crap!
Okay - we'll band together. Can't believe I'm going to be in an alliance with a New Yorker.
Quote:

I do sorely miss the pizza though, all there is out here is pizza chain crap. Though I did find a pizzeria out here about 30 minutes away, and guess what? The dude is from NY
My point exactly. As I told tristan in IM - there is a good pizza place in indianapolis. Why? Because the guy is fgrom Brooklyn. My father found a good pizza place in Nashville and the guy is from NY or NJ.
Quote:

Here is the key to good pizza:

1. If the crust cracks when you fold it, it's quality

2. If the slices of pizza are the size of 3 slices from pizza hut (or other chain pizza places)
Couldn't agree with you more. The two pizzerias down the street from me make the pizza too limp. That's one of the reason's like Sansone Brother's. Nice and crusty pizza.

That is the other thing that makes you know that it's a good pizza place - when it's a pizzeria - preferably with a name like Tony's or Dominic's or some other italian sounding name.

Quote:

Here is a good sign, and your chances go up for the pizza being good, if the following things are said or available:

1. If it is referred to as a "pie", such as "I'd like to order a pie" or "What would you like on your pie?"

2. If you can buy a "slice", such as "I'll have 2 slices" or "How many slices would you like?"

That is funny - when we first moved in Indiana - we called up to order pizza from yuk - pizza hut - but it was the only place. We asked for 2 large pepperoni pies. They said "we don't sell pies - we are a pizza place".

You will think this is gross. In Nashville during Christmas - I went to Sbarros because we were at a mall. I ordered a large pepperoni pie. I went to pick it up after it was done and I saw them putting raw pepperoni on the pizza and then they handed it to me. I asked them to cook it with the pepperoni. They said this is the way pizza is made and that the heat from the pizza itself cooks the pepperoni. I told them that I wanted it cooked - that's the way it's done in New Jersey. Adn they just said "Oh in New Jersey?" - anyway - they put the pizza in the oven - but the pepperoni wasn't fully cooked and it was gross.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-08-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:58 PM   #67
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
That is the other thing that makes you know that it's a good pizza place - when it's a pizzeria - preferably with a name like Tony's or Dominic's or some other italian sounding name.
lol, so true I forget what the name of this place is out here, but it's some Italian name with "Pizzeria" on the end...

Quote:
That is funny - when we first moved in Indiana - we called up to order pizza from yuk - pizza hut - but it was the only place. We asked for 2 large pepperoni pies. They said "we don't sell pies - we are a pizza place".
lol, yeah I don't even both unless I am in NY now. I learned that lesson in Virginia. I went to college down there right after living in NY for 18 years of my life, so it was like second nature to call a pizza a "pizza pie", but when I said pie, people were like "wtf" except for my one hallmate from Jersey who knew what I meant

I haven't even tried saying it out here in Cincinnati, they do enough weird stuff out here as is. For instance, if they don't hear what you say, instead of saying "What?" or "Excuse me?" they say "Please", lol. The first time a woman said that to me, I was like "What are you talking about? Please what? I don't understand..." lol, it drives me INSANE! Oh and get this. Out here the big food that they eat is chili, which is fine, but they eat it on TOP of PASTA! Ugh, it's so nasty, I can't even think about eating that crap!

Quote:
You will think this is gross. In Nashville during Christmas - I went to Sbarros because we were at a mall. I ordered a large pepperoni pie. I went to pick it up after it was done and I saw them putting raw pepperoni on the pizza and then they handed it to me. I asked them to cook it with the pepperoni. They said this is the way pizza is made and that the heat from the pizza itself cooks the pepperoni. I told them that I wanted it cooked - that's the way it's done in New Jersey. Adn they just said "Oh in New Jersey?" - anyway - they put the pizza in the oven - but the pepperoni wasn't fully cooked and it was gross.
That's freaking nasty! I never really had any problems with Sbarro, then again, I don't think I've eaten at a Sbarro outside of a Mall in NY or NJ, lol. Never had a problem at those one's, but I guess it's different elsewhere

Ok, I seriously need to stop talking about pizza, cuz now I am all sad that I can't have any real pizza
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:15 AM   #68
jerseydevil

Quote:
Out here the big food that they eat is chili, which is fine, but they eat it on TOP of PASTA! Ugh, it's so nasty, I can't even think about eating that crap!
Oh - I know- that's a big thing in Indiana too. Cincinnati Chili. It is gross - but usually I have seen it where they pour the cooked pasta right into the chili. gross.

Quote:

That's freaking nasty! I never really had any problems with Sbarro, then again, I don't think I've eaten at a Sbarro outside of a Mall in NY or NJ, lol. Never had a problem at those one's, but I guess it's different elsewhere
I used to go to Sbarro's across the street from madison Square Garden - and it used to be good. Now it sucks. I don't know what happened - but their dough and crust is completely different from what it was before.

Quote:

Ok, I seriously need to stop talking about pizza, cuz now I am all sad that I can't have any real pizza
I'll send you some out. We used to joke that we would fed ex pizza out to us in Indiana. My friend Trish in Canada the one time had a craving for NJ pizza. We were talking and she asked for Sansone Brother's number. She called them up and asked if they deliver. They saiod yeah - so then she asked how long would it take for them to get a pepperoni pie to Six Nation Indian Reserve in Canada. She then proceeded to talk to them for about 15 minutes about the craving she was having for their pizza.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #69
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
OMG! Val you are actually trying to compare NY pizza to that Chicago deep dish crap? SACRILEGE!!! I will let you slide since you are from Chicago. However, I am even more disappointed in brownjenkins saying they are neck and neck, and being from NY and an East Coaster. Shame on you! Bad bad bad brownjenkins!

well, if i had to choose one, i'd go ny... but i do love a good deep dish pizza too
Old 02-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #70
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
*Ahem* New York pizza! One of the best places is Sal's Pizzeria on Mott St. right next to Chinatown, YUMMY!

*Edit* On the corner of Mott and Broome if I remember correctly...
i love that place... and miss it too... been a few years
Old 02-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #71
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
What's up wid da way yer talkin'?
Knowing that you have linguistic aspirations, I was just attempting to introduce you to yet another language: Chicagoan!

And Chicago Deep Dish Pizza IS the best... I don't mind Dunedain and JD thinking otherwise... that just leaves more for me!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:55 PM   #72
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

The best pizza we have in Seattle is Pagliacci's, they make thin crust pizza that's usually really good, even when it isn't it's better than most of the other pizza places we have in seattle.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #73
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
That doesn't matter when they are talking about expatriates though. They're talking about British people living abroad - that is all.
No, they're not- they're doing a rating on conditions which affect expatriates from any country posted to any other country- unless you're saying that only British employees of multinationals care about cost of living, housing, education, crime etc.

Quote:
The London-based EIU assessed the level of hardship for expatriates in the 130 cities, using 12 factors including housing, education, recreational activities, health, climate and terrorism.

The EIU, which is actually a separate division from the Economist magazine, is an information service that earns money by doing studies aimed at an international business audience- and since most of the biggest multinationals are American, and a huge number of American businesspeople live abroad, it wouldn't make much sense for them to aim their study at the comparatively small British section of the market.

Now, you may disagree about the factors that they include, and I think we should keep in mind that there's a huge difference between 'liveable' and 'desirable'- I doubt if many expatriate businesspeople would actually choose Vancouver, Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide over New York, LA, London or Paris- but the rankings are based on fairly objective factors- note that it is not an opinion survey.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 02-10-2004 at 11:49 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #74
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
... I doubt if many expatriate businesspeople would actually choose Vancouver, Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide over New York, LA, London or Paris-...
GRRrrrrrr!! GrayMouser didn't say "Chicago"!!

Old 02-10-2004, 11:54 AM   #75
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Chicago

(but in which group? )

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #76
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Chicago

(but in which group? )
But isn't that OBVIOUS??!???

Here... allow me to slightly modify your quote. I'll just take out two little letters and add two more words:

Quote:
[i]Originally (sorta) posted by GrayMouser
... I doubt if many expatriate businesspeople would actually choose Vancouver, Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide or New York, LA, London or Paris-... OVER CHICAGO!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #77
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nice use of all known smilies, Valandil. But which ones would you apply to rating the cities?

London: some good architecture, great buzz, great arts, dodgy nightlife, ridiculously expensive, gives it
Amsterdam: outrageous architecture (canals!), great buzz, great arts, great nightlife, good value:

etc
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #78
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Nice use of all known smilies, Valandil.
I like to think of the smilies as being kind of like skittles... sometimes you have to mix them to get just the right flavor!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #79
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Oh yea, but sometimes you just need a big handful of yellow ones
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote