Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-01-2000, 12:51 AM   #61
Shanamir Duntak

Re: 6 days till the preview!

I'll try to check, i think I have one written somewhere... get back to you tomorrow with that
Old 08-01-2000, 04:05 PM   #62
Grand Admiral Reese

I hadn't seen it until last Friday. It looks to be like a great movie series, for a great book series.
Old 08-01-2000, 07:31 PM   #63
anduin

Sorry guys, that was probably the last place that carried the video. If there is some other place out there that has it, I don't know where. I know that there is a way to view it again if you download it from the offical site, but it was so confusing (and it seemed to be easier for PCs than with Macs), downloading it from another source was the easiest solution. The instructions on how to do (if they are still there) was listed in the feedback section of the article announcing the trailer on AICN.

Okay, I just searched AICN and came upon this. If you need further instuctions, you will have to search the feedback section. I think someone in there might have figured out a way to save it to disk. Good luck, usually the feedback sections are HUGE and take forever to download....so be patient. Also know that the reason you cannot save the trailer is basically the movie pops up into another window without a URL. What you will be doing by following the directions is getting the URL....or something like that. Like I really know what I am talking about.

If you cannot get that to work, download the trailer, but never close the window. Sure you will never again be able to turn the computer off again or receive phone calls (if you don't have cable or DSL), but you will be able to watch the trailer when ever you like. Or you could video tape it from your screen.
Old 08-03-2000, 01:49 AM   #64
arynetrek

just saw it!

it took an hour of downloading (the net was fast tonight), but i finally saw it!

AWESOME!

armies of Orcs... armies of Orcs... eep!

OK, now i want to see this! i did before, but now i REALLY want to!

- after seeing that one shot, i can accept Elijah playing Frodo.
- the Nazgul just don't look that scary - but then quarter-screen stuttering video doesn't have anywhere near the same "presence" that a full-size movie screen does. the hobbits look Hobbitish, that's a good sign.
- can't see Arwen's ears - nice touch!
- love the Orc-army - but whoever asked which Orc-muster that was for, i have no idea either. could it be a show-off- the-tech shot, like the skeletal Gollum(?) in the wireframe shot? that'd be kind of sad if they didn't use such a great shot in the movie.
- the solidifying-of-the-Ring shots are great - nice detail.
- is that dwarfish man the guy who played Leonardo on Voyager? (i know soem Trekkie here knows this)

this alleviates some of my fears - i thought they'd trash the books in a big glitzy Hollywood thing that would ruin the stories for all who haven't read them. i'm stil mad at some of the stuff PJ's done (X xenarwen, bring back bombadil! - hey, we can make that into a protest cry!) but now i want to see it, if mostly for the effects.

oh hypocrisy...

and thanks anduin for the suggestions - after i saw the preview about 3 times i thought "get a camcorder & tape it off the screen," but since i don't have access to a camcorder, that would be difficult.

aryne *
Old 08-03-2000, 08:28 PM   #65
Shanamir Duntak

Re: just saw it!

In fact, the guy that's playing Gimli is the same that does Professor Arthuro from Sliders. Don'T know about the voyager thing
Old 08-03-2000, 09:20 PM   #66
noldo

He's also Sallah from Indiana Jones.
Old 08-04-2000, 12:29 PM   #67
anduin

Ahhh! Yes, he did play Leonardo on Voyager. I couldn't think of who you were talking about until just now...Leonardo da Vinci. Good lord that was a cheesey episode.
Old 08-05-2000, 04:36 AM   #68
arynetrek

if you're talking about the episode where aliens steal bits of Voyager's technology & Leonardo goes wandering around an alien planet with the Doctor's mobile emitter, then yes it was. but he was very good in Scorpion I (aka Seven's first episode).

almost all of voyager's problems are bad writing - can't really blame the actors, they have to work with the bad scripts as well as the good ones.

back to the topic... i looked at every movie-trailer site i could find, & they all link back to lordoftherings.net. & anduin, your link keeps freezing my computer (!^&#%^* Netscape! never behaving!) but i saw it, i guess that's the important part.

aryne *
Old 08-05-2000, 07:22 AM   #69
noldo

Try tolkienonline.com, aryne.

There you can download the preview to your hardrive.
Old 08-05-2000, 03:37 PM   #70
Darth Tater

Voyager has the worst writting of any Star Trek show yet. Now that I have a Mac I think I will download the trailer to my own computer at last!
Old 08-05-2000, 03:58 PM   #71
Grand Admiral Reese

I got my copy at www.tolkien-archive.com

And I'm glad that Voyager's ending this year. So many bad episodes, such poor writing. It's a disgrace to Star Trek's good name.
Old 08-05-2000, 05:46 PM   #72
Shanamir Duntak

Tolkienonline.com is good. Just click on the movie link on the right

By the way, those not using Flashget, you should get it now. It took me 2:38 minutes (at 236.04 k/s) to download the entire 35 meg. Usually, without flashget I just do 60k/s. So it's at least 4 times faster. It basically uses multiple thread with multiple FTP search. It uses resume files too. Everybody should get that, I started using it a week ago and it's really great.

Flashget information
Download Flashget

By the way, I'm not advertising for them, I just think anyone who want to download such a big file should use that kind of programm to ease the transfert, especially for those using 56k modems.

Shan
Old 08-05-2000, 05:57 PM   #73
Darth Tater

I just spent almost 2 hours downloading the large version of the trailer, I'm sure I'll use that flashget thing in the future, thanks!

Anyways, tolkienonline.com is great, they have an easy to download and save version which I have saved to my desktop Also, the quality of this monitor (I have it set at millions of colors) and of video on this mac is awesome! As good as a tv I'd say! I taped the preview for a friend who doesn't have the net, though the quality is lower and it gets blurry a lot it's worth it if you don't have the space on your comp to save it (I remember what that was like! )
Old 08-07-2000, 02:53 AM   #74
arynetrek

i got flashget, but can't figure out how to use it (shan, expect an email about this) - i think if i don't get it working by tonight, i'll download the trailer the slow way overnight.

aryne *
Old 08-08-2000, 08:35 PM   #75
Shanamir Duntak

Flashget is supposed to start automatically when you start a download... anyway, if you encounter problems, try the help, it's complete enough (Or you can email me of course)
Old 08-10-2000, 01:46 PM   #76
arynetrek

got it working FINALLY! ha ha ha!

i think my computer's plotting against me...

aryne *
Old 08-10-2000, 09:52 PM   #77
Shanamir Duntak

Yeah, he's plotting against you, he told me
Old 08-10-2000, 11:15 PM   #78
Darth Tater

Do you know if there's a FlashGet Mac version or of anything like that for the Mac?
Old 08-11-2000, 01:39 AM   #79
anduin

I just did a search at macdownload.com and there isn't a Mac version for it. Get use to it. But if you ever need anything though, you can check there.
Old 08-11-2000, 03:57 AM   #80
arynetrek

Shan - my computer talks to you? can you get it to explain just why it needs to illegally operate at the most annoying times possible?

*to computer* good computer...nice computer... i'll give you more RAM if you behave...

aryne *